Adobe going subscription only?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 0rbs
Member since 2007 • 1947 Posts

If you haven't heard, adobe who makes photoshop, premiere, illustrator etc is going to a subscription based model only.  As a professional i'm a little worried.  My church has me do some photography on the side for them for their site and I don't think they'll be able to recoup the costs.  

What do you think guys? 

P.S.  If this has been posted already I apologize in advance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Link?

0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 0rbs

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

also the petition that's going around.

http://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-subscription-model#supporters

CNETS article.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57582735-92/adobe-kills-creative-suite-goes-subscription-only/

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I can't blame Adobe. Their products are among the most pirated out there.

0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 0rbs

jun_aka_pekto

This doesn't hurt pirates, it just hurts the people actually paying for it.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
Isn't Jesus aiiit with piracy?
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
They should have both, I think the subscription is smart, I'd be much more likely to pay £15 a month than a one off payment of £700 or whatever it is for most of their stuff. But for companies and those that will be using it constantly the payment option is still better.
0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 0rbs

They should have both, I think the subscription is smart, I'd be much more likely to pay £15 a month than a one off payment of £700 or whatever it is for most of their stuff. But for companies and those that will be using it constantly the payment option is still better.bobbetybob

If you own 0 adobe product right now, and you buy the subscription for one year, at the end you own nothing.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Better than charging $1000+ for software everybody needs but can't afford. Software subscriptions are the only logical step for most companies these days... they can actually make money off their hard work.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zeviander
If you own 0 adobe product right now, and you buy the subscription for one year, at the end you own nothing.0rbs
Whether you purchase the license or subscribe to the license, you own nothing either way. You don't seem to understand how software licensing works. You aren't paying $1000 for the disc, you are paying for the data on it, and the permission from the company to use it.
0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 0rbs

[QUOTE="0rbs"]If you own 0 adobe product right now, and you buy the subscription for one year, at the end you own nothing.Zeviander
Whether you purchase the license or subscribe to the license, you own nothing either way. You don't seem to understand how software licensing works. You aren't paying $1000 for the disc, you are paying for the data on it, and the permission from the company to use it.

No, I understand the difference.  What i'm saying is, you can pay the same price you did when it was perpetual, and now you have nothing if you stop paying.  

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

0rbs

This doesn't hurt pirates, it just hurts the people actually paying for it.

TruFax (tm)

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zeviander
No, I understand the difference. What i'm saying is, you can pay the same price you did when it was perpetual, and now you have nothing if you stop paying. 0rbs
Perpetual until they released the next version and you had to upgrade. With a subscription, you can stop whenever you want, and will (likely) get all the upgrades at no cost.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38693 Posts
it makes sense for amateurs... for example.. you need to do a little bit of work in p-shop or illustrator, like a 1 time thing. who is going to pay $700 for the full suite to use it for a month? better solution is to just pay the month you need it and be done with it. it depends on what the user's needs are whether it'll be good for them or not.
0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 0rbs

[QUOTE="0rbs"]No, I understand the difference. What i'm saying is, you can pay the same price you did when it was perpetual, and now you have nothing if you stop paying. Zeviander
Perpetual until they released the next version and you had to upgrade. With a subscription, you can stop whenever you want, and will (likely) get all the upgrades at no cost.

When you stop your software no longer functions. You are paying for the upgrades still.  You can use CS 3 right now and do not have to upgrade(with perpetual license).  Have you used any adobe products? 

0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 0rbs

it makes sense for amateurs... for example.. you need to do a little bit of work in p-shop or illustrator, like a 1 time thing. who is going to pay $700 for the full suite to use it for a month? better solution is to just pay the month you need it and be done with it. it depends on what the user's needs are whether it'll be good for them or not. comp_atkins

It's a year subscription.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zeviander
When you stop your software no longer functions. You are paying for the upgrades still. You can use CS 3 right now and do not have to upgrade(with perpetual license). Have you used any adobe products?0rbs
CS3 does not have all that CS4 offers. You are forced to upgrade if you want the new software. With the subscription model, you will likely get all the upgrades as they come out. Like every other piece of subscription software. My point -> Your head
Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

The subscription service is good for students that only need the software for the semester. I just wish Adobe would follow Autodesk and provide software for free to students.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38693 Posts

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]it makes sense for amateurs... for example.. you need to do a little bit of work in p-shop or illustrator, like a 1 time thing. who is going to pay $700 for the full suite to use it for a month? better solution is to just pay the month you need it and be done with it. it depends on what the user's needs are whether it'll be good for them or not. 0rbs

It's a year subscription.

i had heard it was a monthly option.. guess i was misinformed..
0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 0rbs

[QUOTE="0rbs"]When you stop your software no longer functions. You are paying for the upgrades still. You can use CS 3 right now and do not have to upgrade(with perpetual license). Have you used any adobe products?Zeviander
CS3 does not have all that CS4 offers. You are forced to upgrade if you want the new software. With the subscription model, you will likely get all the upgrades as they come out. Like every other piece of subscription software. My point -> Your head

CS 5 doesn't have the feature set that CS 6 offers, but 95 percent of the people that use it professionally see no real difference.  I understand the fact that you get upgrades all year for the flat monthly rate.  But you're missing the point that if you pay for a certain period of time which would have been equal to buying a perpetual license, you have nothing.

Also, they have a right to change the price anytime they want for any reason they want.  They pretty much have a monopoly.  The more you read into the situation the more you will not like it.  There's a huge backlash against this...especially on DPR.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zeviander
They pretty much have a monopoly.0rbs
Which is why they charge $1000 for the software to begin with. This subscription model will help those who cannot afford the up-front cost... which means pretty much everyone who uses the software.
0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 0rbs

[QUOTE="0rbs"]They pretty much have a monopoly.Zeviander
Which is why they charge $1000 for the software to begin with. This subscription model will help those who cannot afford the up-front cost... which means pretty much everyone who uses the software.

The people that cannot afford the software usually pirate it.  This destroys small business and a lot of the larger firms such as reuters and getty's are considering a mass exodus away from the suite.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zeviander
The people that cannot afford the software usually pirate it. This destroys small business and a lot of the larger firms such as reuters and getty's are considering a mass exodus away from the suite.0rbs
-pirates will continue to pirate, nothing is lost or gained -students who cannot afford the perpetual license have another legal option to get the software outside of subsidization through their institution -any large business that refuses to use Adobe's software will only hurt themselves, as Adobe's software is top-of-the-line in that field This is a good business move for Adobe, they can increase their profits by increasing the amount of people who can use their software. I'm not seeing a problem here.
0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 0rbs

[QUOTE="0rbs"]The people that cannot afford the software usually pirate it. This destroys small business and a lot of the larger firms such as reuters and getty's are considering a mass exodus away from the suite.Zeviander
-pirates will continue to pirate, nothing is lost or gained -students who cannot afford the perpetual license have another legal option to get the software outside of subsidization through their institution -any large business that refuses to use Adobe's software will only hurt themselves, as Adobe's software is top-of-the-line in that field This is a good business move for Adobe, they can increase their profits by increasing the amount of people who can use their software. I'm not seeing a problem here.

Photoshop for students is 200.  Now it's 240, and at the end of the year, you cannot use it anymore.

Adobe will make money on this, but a lot of professionals, and i'm talking people that are important in the industry are leaving the software suite.

Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gallion-Beast
Member since 2005 • 35803 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="0rbs"]The people that cannot afford the software usually pirate it. This destroys small business and a lot of the larger firms such as reuters and getty's are considering a mass exodus away from the suite.0rbs

Photoshop for students is 200.  Now it's 240, and at the end of the year, you cannot use it anymore.

Adobe will make money on this, but a lot of professionals, and i'm talking people that are important in the industry are leaving the software suite.

Surely they would just continue using the older versions that they already own, no?
0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 0rbs

[QUOTE="0rbs"]

[QUOTE="Zeviander"] -pirates will continue to pirate, nothing is lost or gained -students who cannot afford the perpetual license have another legal option to get the software outside of subsidization through their institution -any large business that refuses to use Adobe's software will only hurt themselves, as Adobe's software is top-of-the-line in that field This is a good business move for Adobe, they can increase their profits by increasing the amount of people who can use their software. I'm not seeing a problem here.Gallion-Beast

Surely they would just continue using the older versions that they already own, no?

Possibly yes.  A lot will milk CS 6 until a replacement is out.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zeviander
Adobe will make money on this, but a lot of professionals, and i'm talking people that are important in the industry are leaving the software suite.0rbs
For what? Paint.net? GIMP? Those who are "important" will be able to afford to pay for this regardless of what it costs. If they need the software, they will put out for it. It's why Adobe makes so much off commercial licenses and doesn't give two sh!ts about the rampant piracy.
0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 0rbs

[QUOTE="0rbs"]Adobe will make money on this, but a lot of professionals, and i'm talking people that are important in the industry are leaving the software suite.Zeviander
For what? Paint.net? GIMP? Those who are "important" will be able to afford to pay for this regardless of what it costs. If they need the software, they will put out for it. It's why Adobe makes so much off commercial licenses and doesn't give two sh!ts about the rampant piracy.

Gimp, pixelmator, corel, etc are catching up slowly but surely.

I really don't think you've had enough exposure to the industry.  The backlash is immense. Enough where adobe already has done some special promotions.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

I don't know what you use, but there is always Gimp.

0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 0rbs

I don't know what you use, but there is always Gimp.

Serraph105

Gimp is catching up fast, but still has some leaps to go through.

I use CS 6  extended and Lightroom 4.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

God, I hate Adobe.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zeviander
Gimp, pixelmator, corel, etc are catching up slowly but surely.0rbs
Adobe will always be one step ahead because of their market share and development revenue. Open source programs might get large followings, but they will always be limited by their lack of a real budget.
0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 0rbs

[QUOTE="0rbs"]Gimp, pixelmator, corel, etc are catching up slowly but surely.Zeviander
Adobe will always be one step ahead because of their market share and development revenue. Open source programs might get large followings, but they will always be limited by their lack of a real budget.

Curious, what in GIMP limits you that you can do in photoshop?

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zeviander
Curious, what in GIMP limits you that you can do in photoshop?0rbs
I have no idea, I use Paint.net and don't care about advanced image editing. My sister is in graphics design and tells me that she wouldn't be anywhere without PS and Illustrator.
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
[QUOTE="0rbs"]church I don't think they'll be able to recoup the costs.

thats what the collection plate is for isnt it all those taxless dollars just tell them you prayed for the church to help you pay for it
0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 0rbs

[QUOTE="0rbs"]

[QUOTE="Zeviander"] Adobe will always be one step ahead because of their market share and development revenue. Open source programs might get large followings, but they will always be limited by their lack of a real budget.Ackad

Curious, what in GIMP limits you that you can do in photoshop?

Multiplicity shots, panoramas, destruction edits of photos (extreme editing), 3d illusions for images, and a lot of things that I'm not aware of. Hense why it was originally over a grand.

It does stitching, it does "multiplicity" shots.  It does extreme editing.  It doesn't do much 3d.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Better than charging $1000+ for software everybody needs but can't afford.

Software subscriptions are the only logical step for most companies these days... they can actually make money off their hard work.

Zeviander

I'd prefer UDK's license method, no $ 'til you make $ then take a % of income (add in: only up to the value of the software). Maybe require corporations to purchase a license upfront, while having individuals have the other plan.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
It's still better than investing in open source equivalents.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
[QUOTE="0rbs"]No, I understand the difference. What i'm saying is, you can pay the same price you did when it was perpetual, and now you have nothing if you stop paying. Zeviander

Meh... I still use Dreamweaver 8 and Fireworks CS3. >_>
0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 0rbs

Any of you guys know where I can get CS4? Seems like that was the last best PhotoshopAckad

CS5 was good.  Content aware was fun for certain type of edits.

If you are a student you can ge CS 6 for under 300 now.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

jun_aka_pekto
That's because it's hacked with no effort whatsoever, with the exact same method for each version. Anyway, I can understand why their doing this but it'll only hurt people that actually do pay, and not pirates.
0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 0rbs

[QUOTE="0rbs"]

[QUOTE="Ackad"]Any of you guys know where I can get CS4? Seems like that was the last best PhotoshopAckad

CS5 was good.  Content aware was fun for certain type of edits.

If you are a student you can ge CS 6 for under 300 now.

Not anymore after Adobe decided to support digital distribution/monthly charges.

my bad, it's 349 now.  It was on sale not too long ago.

https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?event=displayProduct&categoryOID=7253698&store=OLS-EDU

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

Not really an issue IMO. There are alternatives to PS, some of which are free, that can do about 90% of what it can. For the absolute power users/pro's that need everything PS can do it is better value for them IMO.

Also from what I understand Renting Photoshop on it's own is only around $20/month. For a pro this is nothing.