multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

who do you think has absolutely no range in their acting...not saying they are bad or good, but simply no range.. in that you can't get drawn into the film/show because it is just him being himself as usual. It's like they are playing the same voice, same tone, some inflection, same expressions etc... no effort to change... the opposite of this would be Gary Oldman or Cate Blanchet or Idris Elba who have crazy range.

1) Nic Cage 2) Liam Neeson3) Vin Diesel4) Terry Cruze 5) Tom Cruise 6) Michael B Jordan 7) George Clooney

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 48338 Posts

Arnold lol

The reason Conan The Barbarian has him barely talk is because pretty much everyone thought he couldn't act. So they filmed it like a Wagner Opera driven by visuals and music score.

Doesn't stop him being one of a kind though, and the fact he got so far as he did with so little ability, picking roles that fit him deserves credit.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1705 Posts

@multiplat: Tom Cruise in collateral vs Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder vs Tom Cruise in Vanilla Sky vs Tom Cruise in The Color of Money. Quite a range.

When I think of poor range, I think Jack Nicholson. Christopher Walken is another one.

I won’t rate B actors since they are just bad and are typecast to play the same character because of some novelty in their personality. Like Keanu Reeves is just a bad actor.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18193 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Arnold lol

The reason Conan The Barbarian has him barely talk is because pretty much everyone thought he couldn't act. So they filmed it like a Wagner Opera driven by visuals and music score.

Doesn't stop him being one of a kind though, and the fact he got so far as he did with so little ability, picking roles that fit him deserves credit.

How you think he did in Batman vs Robin and Jingle all the Way?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I don't know, Cage in National Treasure, Con Air, 8mm and Sorcerer's Apprentice were pretty different roles he played. He does have a particular "style" of acting that he brings to every movie, but he still ends up making it his own. I might be one of his few fans though.

I'd say an actor like Bruce Willis is someone with very little range. He literally plays John McClane in every movie he's in.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 48338 Posts

@PSP107 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Arnold lol

How you think he did in Batman vs Robin and Jingle all the Way?

The movie as a whole sucked. But I would argue George Clooney was worse. The whole pun thing wasn't really his fault.

His two best performances imo are probably Predator and Conan. Although he doesn't really speak in Conan his physical movements are great and he does has presence. Compared to alot of later roles in his career where he's made a name for himself and phoning it in, you can see as a young man with an opportunity he's really trying. Fits the (book) character as well as he's really straight forward. It's difficult to think of anyone else playing the character really.

Loading Video...

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

Charlie Sheen. He just plays himself in every single thing he does.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21556 Posts

Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, Steven Seigal, and Jason Statham come to mind...

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 multiplat

@foxhound_fox: yes, def adding bruce willis... good call... god same voice, same expression .. as for Tom Cruise, he may attempt at range, but getting it successfully is an entire different story.

1) Nic Cage 2) Liam Neeson3) Vin Diesel4) Terry Cruze 5) Tom Cruise 6) Michael B Jordan 7) George Clooney 8) Bruce Willis

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 174312 Posts

@tocool340 said:

Solid selections..........

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@multiplat said:

who do you think has absolutely no range in their acting...not saying they are bad or good, but simply no range.. in that you can't get drawn into the film/show because it is just him being himself as usual. It's like they are playing the same voice, same tone, some inflection, same expressions etc... no effort to change... the opposite of this would be Gary Oldman or Cate Blanchet or Idris Elba who have crazy range.

1) Nic Cage 2) Liam Neeson3) Vin Diesel4) Terry Cruze 5) Tom Cruise 6) Michael B Jordan 7) George Clooney

You are crazy if you think TC got no range.

Check out Collateral , then Tropic Thunder and lastly Edge of Tommorow. No Doubt He's amongst TOP Hollywood actors for a reason.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16215 Posts

@indzman said:
@multiplat said:

Check out Collateral , then Tropic Thunder and lastly Edge of Tommorow. No Doubt He's amongst TOP Hollywood actors for a reason.

indeed, and what about george clooney. clearly he hasn't seen him in burn after reading

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@commander said:
@indzman said:
@multiplat said:

indeed, and what about george clooney. clearly he hasn't seen him in burn after reading

Yup GC great as well in many movies.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Samuel Jackson, at least lately, seems like the same loud-mouthed role in every movie.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@todddow:

I liked Charlie Sheen in Platoon

lorddaggeroff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#16 lorddaggeroff
Member since 2008 • 2433 Posts

People with no range (excluding me)

Kevin Spacey

Ralph Harris

Ben afflict

Bill Cosby

Harvey Weinstein

Mat leurer

Steven seagal

Donald trump's got alot of range so he doesn't count because he can't act cough touch cough.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

Do voice actors count because Vic Mcnogna

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 5167 Posts

Michael Cera. He does it well, but it's always the same guy.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 16489 Posts

Nick Cage has no range? What?

He played two very opposite personalities against each other, one an depressed introvert, the other a hyper extrovert, in Adaptation. That’s no small feat to pull off convincingly as it contrasts the actor’s range right next to each other. He deserves credit for that performance. He was also excellent in Leaving Las Vegas.

The problem with Cage isn’t that he can’t act, but that he chooses the absolute worst scripts possible.

My choice would be Mark Wahlberg, quite possibly the worst actor on the planet. His idea of good acting is to hyperventilate while he’s speaking, thinking for some reason it’s dramatic. I literally cannot tolerate watching him he’s so annoying.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By multiplat

Great pick with Mark Wahlhberg and Ben Afflack. Adding them

1) Nic Cage 2) Liam Neeson3) Vin Diesel4) Terry Cruze 5) Tom Cruise 6) Michael B Jordan 7) George Clooney 8) Bruce Willis 9) Mark Wahlberg, 10) Ben Afflack

as far as Arnold, if we are going to add Arnold, then we have to add by deafult: Jean Claude, Steven Sagal, Sylvester Stallone, etc etc.. i guess the original question was actors that think they can act but have no range, not action movie stars.

Lot of Tom Cruise and George Clooney fanboys here, but put it this way, everything is relative right, they are big stars indeed but the question is not who u have a mancrush on, or how big their hits are, but specifically about range. So let's consider this, if TC and GC do indeed have range, than what the hell does GO (Gary Oldman), Forest Whitiker and Idris Elba or even Leana Heady or Meryl Streep or Cate Blanchet have? That means they have infinite range. everything is RELATIVE. I mean one segment of Claire Danes (old Claire Danes, not young) will embarass GC or TC. You guys will see, Gary Oldman's Winston Churchill will destroy GC and TC

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 125783 Posts

Hmm... Long time since I have seen a movie with Orlando Bloom. Isn't he pretty much the same character in every movie?

TOOLFRENZY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TOOLFRENZY
Member since 2004 • 571 Posts

David Spade and Owen Wilson

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#24 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6198 Posts

@multiplat:

Seth Rogan.

Literally every role he ever gets, he's EXACTLY the same person he is in real life. Whenever I see him in a movie, I don't bother learning his character's name. I just call him Seth Rogan.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8744 Posts

If you count Dwayne Johnson. I was always entertained with him in the WWE, but I don't like how he grew in popularity in hollywood. His type of campy, and charismatic acting worked in the WWE, but it just fails on so many levels on the big screen.

TOOLFRENZY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TOOLFRENZY
Member since 2004 • 571 Posts

@lonewolf604:

You’re right the charisma he has doesn’t come through on screen. He needs to break out of his “do I look and sound tough enough” persona. And lose the angry brow.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By multiplat

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@multiplat:

Seth Rogan.

Literally every role he ever gets, he's EXACTLY the same person he is in real life. Whenever I see him in a movie, I don't bother learning his character's name. I just call him Seth Rogan.

This guy is garbage, he just tries to artifically deepen his naturally pre-pubescent voice, by using some loogie he gets stuck in the back of his throat.... he is flat out trash, and when you put him beside his friend James Franco who actually has acting talent it makes it even worse by comparison,..... i don't even consider him an actor , i mean if Gilbert Gottfired is more of an actor

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 multiplat

@TOOLFRENZY said:

David Spade and Owen Wilson

hahahaha, only Owen Wilson can make a war movie based on Genocide with good action scenes into pure Camp...(behind enemy lines)... yes he deserves to be on the list.

1) Nic Cage 2) Liam Neeson3) Vin Diesel4) Terry Cruze 5) Tom Cruise 6) Michael B Jordan 7) George Clooney 8) Bruce Willis 9) Mark Wahlberg, 10) Ben Afflack 11) Owen Wilson

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 16701 Posts

Nic Cage actually has pretty good range, I'm not sure people have actually watched many of his movies in this thread. Hell even in his action movies, watch Con Air and Face Off.....super different.

But I'd say:

1. Ryan Gosling

2. Tom Cruse

3. George Clooney

4. Bruce Willis

Loading Video...

retrowannabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 retrowannabe
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

@multiplat:

I have to disagree with Tom Cruise.

I'm not sure if it's just the roles he plays or maybe I haven't seen enough of him, but Morgan Freeman for all the hype he gets doesn't have much range.

Actor with the most range? Daniel Day Lewis.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Well I wouldn't say he has none at all, but Will Smith's acting range is fairly limited imo.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Took too long for Mark Wahlberg to be listed. But range isn't the biggest deal. Arnie will forever be one of my favorite actors. He is just endlessly entertaining to me and if a movie he's in is ever bad, it's only because the silly director/writer refused to let Arnie be Arnie enough.

It's like macaroni and cheese or PB&J...there's no sophistication to its flavor palette and if you try to spice it up, you'll just ruin it - it's unrefined, basic and thoroughly awesome for reasons we will never understand. Just ask yourself this: if you put Gary Oldman in Kindergarten Cop, is it a better movie? No. Gary Oldman has amazing range, but even he couldn't say "it's not a tumor" and make it memorable.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7946 Posts

@tocool340 said:

I disagree on Adam Sandler, Reign over me and Punch Drunk Love show that he can actually act.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#34 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6198 Posts

@multiplat:

Damn, dude! That's a bit harsh to say about Seth Rogan! Sure, he doesn't really ACT on movies but I wouldn't say he's "trash." He's funny and obnoxious but that's really all he knows. If you want him in a movie, you're not asking for a drama actor. You're asking for Seth Rogan. And your character will basically turn into him.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By multiplat

ok how about this one, look even I can keep this objective as possible... how about Robert Redford? u guys agree, he is popular and beloved and well accomplished, but damn, whenever I hear him talk all I can think of is that he should just narrate PBS documentaries,... but like David Atterborough gets me more excited about ants on Planet Earth then RR does about anything.... RR you are stuck out in the middle of an ocean with immenent death, i know it's great to keep poised and calm and collected, but shityo pants once in a while maybe? All is Lost, except for your eternal non-flinching demeanor. I mean Tom Hanks at least went semi-apeshit with fire and wilson

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Wasn’t Bright totally a Suicide Squad rip off? Will Smith so has no range. It’s either Hancock or I am Legend with this guy.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By multiplat

@playmynutz: does Bright suck like Suicide Squad? if so, you can spare us all the time wasted from watching it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

@multiplat: more like a Redbox rent than 3-D glasses movie theatres type movie.

conquerorsaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#39 conquerorsaint
Member since 2003 • 1338 Posts

Mark Wahlberg, he has the same deadeyes in every role he plays

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2149 Posts

I think a lot of the actors that have been mentioned actually have range it's just that they keep getting cast in the same kind of roles so often that we never get to see them do anything else. Nic Cage and Tom Cruise are both good actors but they keep doing rehashes of the same movie over and over again. I don't know if it's because they really want the money or if they're just lazy and doing the same character is just easy.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 16489 Posts

@fenriz275: Tom Cruise proved his acting chops to me in Born on the 4th of July. He's definitely capable.

Loading Video...

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 VFighter  Online
Member since 2016 • 10092 Posts

@lonewolf604: Actually it works perfectly on the big screen, it's why he's cast so often.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8744 Posts

@vfighter said:

@lonewolf604: Actually it works perfectly on the big screen, it's why he's cast so often.

Guess it doesn't work for me because to me it still sounds like WWE cheese.

Avatar image for anxietyconquere
anxietyconquere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 anxietyconquere
Member since 2017 • 38 Posts

Vin Diesel and George Clooney.

Crash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Crash6
Member since 2004 • 3464 Posts
@playmynutz said:

Wasn’t Bright totally a Suicide Squad rip off? Will Smith so has no range. It’s either Hancock or I am Legend with this guy.

Ali

Concusssion

Pursuit of Happyness

The Legend of Bagger Vance

Focus

Seven Pounds

Collateral Beauty

I don't know. I think he might have some range......

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

@Crash6: thought the thread starter would bite the bait! Will Smith has range, excuse me.

A list actors always have a futuristic dystrophia movie. That’s the bar, for range.

Thought Bright was cool, it reminds me of that Bruice Willis futuristic movie, forgot the name but it is set in a universe where everyone has an android avatar. There’s also that Tom Cruise future movie from 2015 I think. The new Blade Runner. Remember Chapie with Antonio Bandera? Matt Damon had one like two years ago.

You can easily tell which actor has range when you put them in a destroyed futuristic civilization, with AI robots, and a pretty princess to save.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LoganX77
Member since 2017 • 1050 Posts

Will Smith.. same role in pretty much 95% of his movies.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Dave Bautista but only because studios keep typecasting him because of his size whereas he wants to do something different.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 multiplat

while we are on the topic of acting appreciation... this serious acting display as shown in the below clip is an excellent case study with two actors, where one is RANGELESS and the other has INSANE RANGE, surely you can guess who is who....

Loading Video...

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Robert De niro

Al Pacino

They play cops/gangsters in every movie ever created