Actors in TV and Movies who have played as multiple comic book characters

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

The other day, while discussing the new Deadpool movie with a buddy of mine he asked me "what other actors have played multiple comic book characters in TV shows or movies?"

Aside from the obvious answers (Ryan Reynolds, Chris Evans, and now Ben Affleck) I realized that there are actually a lot more examples out there. Here are the ones I was able to remember off the top of my head:

Nicholas Cage - The Rider in Ghostrider and Big Daddy from Kick-Ass

Brandon Routh - Superman in Superman, Dylan Dog in Dylan Dog, Atom in Arrow/Flash/DC Legends of Tomorrow. After research he was also the Vegan ex Todd Ingram in Scott Pilgrim

Chris Evans - Captain America in CapAm and Johnny Storm Fan4 1 and 2. Also Captain Jake Jensen in The Losers and he was another evil ex in Scott Pilgrim (the Skateboard guy Lucas Lee)

Hugh Jackman - Wolverine in various and "Weasel" in Sin City

Mickey Rourke - Marv in Sin City and Ivan Vanko in Iron Man 2

Stephen Amell - Casey Jones in TMNT2 2016 and Oliver Queen in Arrow tv series

Michael Jai White - Gamble from the Dark Knight and Spawn from Spawn. Also, after looking it up I remembered he played Bronze Tiger in Arrow.

Ryan Reynolds - Deadpool in Deadpool and Hal Jordan in Green Lantern

Ben Affleck - Daredevil in Daredevil and Batman in BvS

Rosario Dawson - Gail from Sin City and Claire Temple from Daredevil series

Jessica Alba - Susan Storm (Fantastic Four) and Nancy from Sin City

Hale Berry - Catwoman (sorta) and Storm (X-Men)

Tommy Lee Jones - Agent K in Men in Black, Two Face in Batman Forever, and Colonel Chester Phillips in Captain America.

Natalie Portman - Evey Hammon in V for Vendetta and Jane Foster in Thor

Jon Bernthal - Shane from The Walking Dead as Punisher in the upcoming second season of Daredevil.

Jeffery Dean Morgan - The Comedian in the Watchmen and the main guy from The Losers.

Jeff Hartnet - The Stranger from Sin City (The Customer is Always Right short story) and Sheriff Eben from 30 Days of Night.

Here are ones I found with research:

Aaron Taylor-Johnson Kick-Ass in Kick-ass and Quicksilver in Age of Ultron

Ray Stevenson - Volstagg in Thor and the Punisher in Punisher War Zone

Idris Elba - Heimdall in Thor and William Roque in The Losers

Doug Jones - Jake Simmons in "Arrow" and Abe Sapien in the Hellboy series (body suit) and Silver Surfer in Fantastic Four (body motion capture)

Zoe Aldana - Gamora from GotG and Aisha al-Fadhil in The Losers

Sam Jackson - Nick Fury in multiple Marvel movies and The Octopus in the dreadful movie adaptation of The Spirit. Not counting his role in Kingsman because Valentine wasn't a character in the comic.

Mark Hamill - I remembered Joker in multiple Batman and DC properties and the Trickster in both the old and new Flash series. With research I discovered his character Dr. Arnold in Kingsman was from the comic.

Scarlett Johansson - Black Widow in multiple Marvels and Silken Floss in The Spirit

So can you think of more examples? Here are the rules/criteria I'm going by:

1) The actor can have played two comic book characters in any combination of TV shows or movies, including voice and body capture performances.

2) The character has to have existed in the comic book. No characters that were made up exclusively for the TV or Movie version of the comic storyline (i.e. Dominic Purcell's character in Blade 3 doesn't count). Also, it shouldn't be a character that was retconned into the comic after the TV show or Movie.

3) Includes graphic novels and any variation of a comic book.

4) Does not include comic books that were -based- on TV shows or Movies (i.e. Firefly, Buffy, Angel, etc).

5) Can include TV shows and movies that are not yet out if the casting is confirmed (i.e. Ben Affleck as Batman, Jon Bernthal as the Punisher in season 2 of Daredevil.)

6) If the character appeared in multiple movies (like all the Marvel characters in all the Marvel movies) you don't need to name each movie. Just one will do.

7) It doesn't matter how "loose" the adaptation of the comic is, only that the character existed in the comic.

8) Let's leave out voice actors who played multiple characters in DC animated and Marvel stuff. There's way too much overlap and it would choke the thread. However, if they played -a- role in an animated film and another role in a non-animated then it's fair game.

9) (updated 2/12/2016) Alter egos, posessions, and parallel universe versions of the same character and twins don't count. I.E. Randy Rhodes and War Machine, Jean Grey and Phoenix, Vibe and Reverb from The Flash, Goldy/Wendy from Sin City, etc.

So, did I miss any? Also, feel free to correct any mistakes I might have made. Now, I know this is the internet and I get how people on the internet are naturally reluctant to point out the errors of others and make them look foolish, but I would ask that you resist this natural inclination and feel free to correct my errors.

-Byshop

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Hugo Weaving, he was V from V for vendetta and the red skull in Captain america, as well as the voice of megatron in the transformers films

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

After some research, if these count

Josh Brolin was jonah hex and now thanos

Michael Fassbender is Magneto and also appears as Stelios from 300

Arnold Schwarzenegger played Mr. Freeze and Conan the Barbarian (i believe it had comics)

And then Jason Momoa was also Conan the Barbarian and will be playing Aquaman

And I guess you could make the case for Stan Lee since he has a cameo in like every Marvel film

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Byshop  Moderator

Not sure Transformers started as a comic but otherwise good ones! Can't believe I missed Hugo Weaving. After realizing that most of the cast of Sin City was in other movies, I suspect there are more to find in 300 too.

Thanks!

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Byshop  Moderator

@lostrib: You reminded me of one. Thomas Jane also played Jonah Hex in the DC Animated Showcase, plus he was the Punisher in the 2004 film version. He also had a role in the second Crow movie, but the character he played didn't appear in the original Crow comic.

-Byshop

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59179 Posts

Ian Mckellen played Dr. Reinhardt Lane in The Shadow (1994) and Magneto in the Xmen franchise.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

Ryan Reynolds was also Deadpool in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but that movie is incredibly forgettable.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Byshop  Moderator

I got another one. Neal McDonough is currently playing Damian Darhk in the series Arrow. In addition to voicing at least half a dozen characters between various DC and Marvel animated shows he also has been playing Timothy Aloysius Cadwallader "Dum Dum" Dugan in Captain America and Agent Carter.

-Byshop

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

Pam Grier - Amanda Waller in Smallville & Friday Foster in Friday Foster.

John Phillip Law - Diabolik in Diabolik & Pygar in Barbarella.

Terence Stamp - Jor-El in Smallville, Willie Garvin in Modesty Blaise, Stick in Electra, General Zod in Superman & Superman II

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@Lord_Daemon said:

Pam Grier - Amanda Waller in Smallville & Friday Foster in Friday Foster.

John Phillip Law - Diabolik in Diabolik & Pygar in Barbarella.

Terence Stamp - Jor-El in Smallville, Willie Garvin in Modesty Blaise, Stick in Electra, General Zod in Superman & Superman II

Nice one on the Pam Grier and John Philip Law. I've actually seen Diabolik (it was the final episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000) but I haven't gotten around to the borderline softcore that is Barbarella. I didn't know Pam Grier played Amanda Waller in Smallville. That sounds like an awesome casting choice (one of my favorite characters and one of my favorite actors) but I hate Smallville with a passion and apparently she didn't show up until after I ragequit the show for being unbelievably stupid. :)

Massive facepalm for not remembering Terence Stamp. I'm not familiar with Modesty Blaise and I forgot about his cameo in Electra, but I should have remembered that he played both Jor-El and Zod.

I just remembered another. Powers Booth played Senator Roark in Sin City and Gideon Malick in the Marvel universe stuff like Avengers and Agents of SHIELD. He has also voiced a few DC characters like Braniac, Lex Luthor and Grood.

Edit: Just thought of another one. Benicio Del Toro was Jacky Boy in Sin City and he also played "The Collector" in GotG, the upcomming sequel and Thor 2.

Edit edit: Michael Clarke Duncan - Manute in Sin City, Kingpin in Daredevil, and Killiwog in Green Lantern. He also did voice acting as well, including Groot in some of the animated Marvel stuff.

Edit Edit Edit: Rutger Hauer - Morgan Edge in Smallville, Cardinal Roarke in Sin City, and Kern in the Pledge of Anya episode of Metal Hurlant Chronicles, which is a TV show based on the anthology comic Metal Hurlant, which is the original French version of Heavy Metal. I don't 100% know that the character was in the comic, but the show plots are generally all lifted from anthology stories from the source material.

Edit Edit Edit Edit: Jaime King was Wendy/Goldy in Sin City (which by itself doesn't count) but she also played Lorelei in The Spirit.

Edit Edit... etc: Michael Madsen was the crooked cop Bob in Sin City and Baby Man in the Axe Cop TV Series.

-Byshop

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#11 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I can't think of any myself, but I'll just say that the problem with Chris Evans playing Johnny Storm and Captain America would mean that we would never see an Avengers/Fantastic Four crossover where he could play both characters. Of course, we'd never see that crossover to begin with.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Byshop  Moderator

James MacAvoy - Prof X in the later X-Men movies and Wesley from Wanted (2008) which was a super loose adaptation.

Chris Pratt - Star Lord from GotG and Wesley's "best friend" (who's secretly having sex with his GF) from Wanted.

-Byshop