Access to Free Education

This topic is locked from further discussion.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Hello, everyone.

I have found some quality free resources for success and I would like to share them with you. For those of you who would like to learn a large amount of subjects at no cost to the user, but you do not know where to look, I am here to introduce you to two websites. These two websites are treasure troves of information.

The first website I am talking about is edX.org. It was founded by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University, two of the most prestigious schools in America and, in actuality, the entire world.

This website offers courses in a variety of courses. Most of them are free to enroll in and if a student completes them then they gain an honor code certificate. For a fee, a verified certificate is available for those who are seeking verification of academic background for scholastic studies and professional purposes. Classes start throughout the year and hundreds of millions of people throughout the world attend the classes offered by these schools. Completed course content is available for auditing. To make the most of this opportunity, I enrolled in a few courses to supplement my education at a local school.

Now, the second website I am referring to is more self-paced in that it does not offer a class format. However, there are lectures, and questions for math, science. and more. It is called Khan Academy. It was made by Salman Khan, an MIT and Harvard graduate. This website offers a great education for anyone to gain at no expense. You can also learn about entrepreneurship, the arts and humanities, and computer science. The videos from this website are also available to view on YouTube.

I obviously like them. For those of you who did not know about them, but do, now, what do you think about what I am saying?

Also, what would you like to study?

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 0

#2 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

Future Learning and Coursera are also decent free options. I've had great experiences with Future Learning especially.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Opens thread expecting a debate about free higher education for people, and it turns out to be something much less controversial.

You sure know how to let a guy down.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I like it. Cool.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By branketra
@Allicrombie said:

Future Learning and Coursera are also decent free options. I've had great experiences with Future Learning especially.

My best experiences with free options have been with Khan Academy. There being more ways to learn is definitely beneficial.

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts

iTunes U seems to have some pretty cool stuff, too. Free courses and whatnot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#7 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

A helpful thread in OT? What the hell are you doing man? =P

But seriously, I'm always for learning new things and you've peaked my interest. I'd definitely check these out. Thanks!

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Thank you for these, I'm making a note of both websites for future reference. I would argue that huge parts of the internet could be considered free information to learn from, but websites dedicated to organizing that information such as these should be praised and regarded highly.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 branketra

Another way to get access to information is by going to your local county or (if you have one) city library website and searching for classes and e-books.

I think that if more people knew about this, certain issues would be dealt with much faster because of the increased education of teams.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Checking it out, thank you! If you all want to learn any European Languages, I would try out Duolingo.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56039 Posts

Thanks BranKetra. This is something that I'll save for future study on Science.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@airshocker said:

Opens thread expecting a debate about free higher education for people, and it turns out to be something much less controversial.

Without looking at the TC's name, I was expecting this to be a spam advertisement thread.

But then again lately, the real spammers have been using misleading thread titles to get clicks.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

I've already heard a lot about Khan Academy from my peers. This is the first time I'll actually try it out. Thanks anyway!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56039 Posts

@ad1x2 said:

@airshocker said:

Without looking at the TC's name, I was expecting this to be a spam advertisement thread.

But then again lately, the real spammers have been using misleading thread titles to get clicks.

Technically of speaking, The Gamespot avatar tends to give it away [very few grasshopper avatars] when it comes to spammers which I always assume it's a spam. Users with a decent avatars are rare of spamming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

https://www.coursera.org/

I took a few courses from Coursera a year ago and it's pretty great. I recommend it.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@davillain- said:

@ad1x2 said:

@airshocker said:

Technically of speaking, The Gamespot avatar tends to give it away [very few grasshopper avatars] when it comes to spammers which I always assume it's a spam. Users with a decent avatars are rare of spamming.

I was on my phone when I first read the thread. The mobile version doesn't show the poster's avatar.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Nice resources, thanks for the share.