A warning for smokers

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I started smoking cigarettes when I was a teenager. I'm 36 years old and recently I developed a dark spot on my lip. I went to the doctors and they removed a chuck skin out of my lip to get it biopsied for cancer. I'm freaking out right now. I have to wait 10 more days for the result. I'm done with smoking. My doctor is going to prescribe me some stuff to help me quit.

I knew the risks of smoking and I always thought I'd deal with them when the time had come but I never thought it would be at this age. My grandparents are in their late 70's and they still smoke. I'm just hoping it's nothing but a scar from biting my lip as a nervous habit.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

best of luck to you. hope everything works out.

my quitting method has been my grandmother. 69 yrs old and she looks like a zombie.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Good for you dude:-) Hope everything works out. I don't smoke btw

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

Most people already know the risk of smoking don't know why we need another warning...

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@-Renegade said:

Most people already know the risk of smoking don't know why we need another warning...

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts

I'mma go for a smoke right now.

All the same, wish ya luck buddy.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

The warning is on the box.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_lance
Lone_Wolf_Lance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Lone_Wolf_Lance
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts

You know... I'm really curious to know how I would react to the news having lung cancer. Would I stop smoking? Would I do do the treatment? Would I freak out? Maybe one day I'll find out, though I hope I never do get the chance to... if you know what I mean.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jimn_tonic

@-Renegade said:

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

The best thing about smoking is how disrespectful it is to other people. I put it up there with pissing on someone else's shoes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I appreciate you sharing your story. First hand account means more than a warning label. Stay strong bro

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bob_toeback

@SolidSnake35 said:

The best thing about smoking is how disrespectful it is to other people. I put it up there with pissing on someone else's shoes.

How is it disrespectful to other people?

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

I hope everything goes well for you. Sometimes we all need a slap in the face here and there.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

@thegerg said:

At least smoking makes you look cool.

In context.

For the most part smoking in public for no reason other than to satisfy an addiction is not only very uncool, but also annoying to every non smoker around.

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

I'm 36 as well. Been 2 pack a day Marlboro smoker since I was 14. And had to quit in 2008 due to high cigarette taxes and I have no regrets at all. Been jogging and eating healthier, and living a healthier lifestyle since and been taking up surfing again ever since I stopped the hobby during high school when I gained some extra weight.

Cigarettes here in NYC are currently $11-$12 a pack and are worthless. I can buy a healthy lunch far less than that.

You need to quit NOW.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

I'm an occasional smoker, only rarely when I drink. Typically less than 10 cigs per year if that. Usually I do it just to start talking to girls that smokes, because if she smokes she pokes!

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@bob_toeback said:

@SolidSnake35 said:

Smells terrible and stinks up everything it touches, even if it only makes contact for literally one second. Smoking (tobacco) anywhere but outside, and far away from anyone who's not also smoking, is definitely disrespectful to other people.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@thegerg said:

At least smoking makes you look cool.

That only works if you already look cool. Then smoking makes you look cooler.

But if you look totally f***ing lame, then smoking just makes you look more lame.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@bob_toeback said:

I'mma go for a smoke right now.

All the same, wish ya luck buddy.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@bob_toeback said:

@SolidSnake35 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djVjexRp-oQ

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Good luck. Treatment for cancer seriously sucks (to put it lightly, and there's no guarantee it will even work), so pray you won't need it. I believe if most smokers knew what chemo is like they'd more than likely quit. Then again, my uncle continued to smoke even after a tumor ate through his spinal cord and left him paralyzed from the nipple down to his death, so who knows.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Good luck. Treatment for cancer seriously sucks (to put it lightly, and there's no guarantee it will even work), so pray you won't need it. I believe if most smokers knew what chemo is like they'd more than likely quit. Then again, my uncle continued to smoke even after a tumor ate through his spinal cord and left him paralyzed from the nipple down to his death, so who knows.

It's a seriously strong physical and psychological addiction. It's crazy how perpetuated the negatives of other, less legal, drugs are - yet nicotine continues to be widely available to anyone over 19.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
@chrisrooR said:

@MirkoS77 said:

It's a seriously strong physical and psychological addiction. It's crazy how perpetuated the negatives of other, less legal, drugs are - yet nicotine continues to be widely available to anyone over 19.

It wouldn't seem so crazy if it was you on the receiving end of all that money from the tobacco companies.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

i smoked casually a few years but once i realized how addictive it could be, i quit before i got fully addicted and havent smoked since.

even so every now and then, a random craving comes out of nowhere

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

@jdc6305:

My best wishes go out to you man.

I really hope everything works out good for you.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

That sucks, man. Best of luck in that it isn't cancer, and if it is, hope they caught it early enough to warrant treatment.

I'm not going to plug my beliefs on the matter because this isn't a time to be doing so.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

@M8ingSeezun said:

I'm 36 as well. Been 2 pack a day Marlboro smoker since I was 14. And had to quit in 2008 due to high cigarette taxes and I have no regrets at all. Been jogging and eating healthier, and living a healthier lifestyle since and been taking up surfing again ever since I stopped the hobby during high school when I gained some extra weight.

Cigarettes here in NYC are currently $11-$12 a pack and are worthless. I can buy a healthy lunch far less than that.

You need to quit NOW.

At those prices, even if you only smoke one pack a day, you are spending over $4000 a year on cigarettes. I can think of other things to spend that kind of money on such as a vacation or a PC or camera equipment or better yet, food, especially if one is on food stamps.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bob_toeback

@GazaAli said:

@bob_toeback said:

@SolidSnake35 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djVjexRp-oQ

A Seinfeld video? really? *puts out cigarette*

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jimn_tonic

@the_bi99man said:

@bob_toeback said:

@SolidSnake35 said:

Smells terrible and stinks up everything it touches, even if it only makes contact for literally one second. Smoking (tobacco) anywhere but outside, and far away from anyone who's not also smoking, is definitely disrespectful to other people.

cos demanding those people do not come within a certain proximity of your presence isn't disrespectful

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

@SolidSnake35 said:

Meh, anyone who feels disrespected by my smoking can get the f*ck out of my yard.

EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

Switch to dip.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

@playmynutz said:

I appreciate you sharing your story. First hand account means more than a warning label. Stay strong bro

Exactly.

Everyone knows 'cigarettes are bad for you', but it'll be someone else that happens to. Getting old, unhealthy? That day will never come.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Then again, my uncle continued to smoke even after a tumor ate through his spinal cord and left him paralyzed from the nipple down to his death, so who knows.

Well that I can understand.

After something like that, **** it. What else do you have to live for at that stage. Why give up one of the few joys you have left.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#36 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Ever since I'm a diabetic I quit smoking, it's very bad for diabetics to smoke. You made a good decision man, good luck.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@jdc6305: I hope it isn't anything major and good for you for giving up smoking. I hope you stick with it. I haven't smoked in 14 years.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@SolidSnake35 said:

Other people smoking doesn't bother me as long as they understand they will not be smoking in my house or car. When I own my own home, I will put a fence up with a sign saying "No smoking beyond this point. If you have a problem with that, don't bother opening the gate".

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Hope it all goes well for you. People who smoke know of the risks, they just do it anyway because they think they're invincible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Ever kiss a girl that smokes? It's massively gross.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WhiteKnight77

@lone_wolf_lance said:

You know... I'm really curious to know how I would react to the news having lung cancer. Would I stop smoking? Would I do do the treatment? Would I freak out? Maybe one day I'll find out, though I hope I never do get the chance to... if you know what I mean.

My Ma called me while I was on the way back home from a job. She said she had some bad news concerning my Pops. She hemmed and hawed a bit and I had to drag it out of her. She told me that my Pops had a spot on his lung and it was found to be cancerous. Worse yet, it was inoperable due to it's location. My heart sunk due to me once being a smoker and being the oldest and I knew pretty much that it was a death sentence unless something miraculous happened. He decided to try chemotherapy and was doing OK until one night when he went to his lodge meeting and sat under an air conditioning duct. A couple weeks later, he was in the hospital with pneumonia. I was on another job and in Texas (Pops was in VA) and had only been there a week when my Ma told me she had to call the ambulance due to my Pops being sick. That freaked me out, as well as him I think.

Still, he hoped that the chemo would help, but in the end, he still lived over a year from the first diagnosis. If it is operable, your life expectancy from lung cancer goes up. It really hits someone when they look at the doctor and tell him that there would be no more treatments of any kind. That is them accepting that time is short. It was just over 2 months from that time til my Pops died. Watching someone struggle to breath as they fight to live is really hard to watch.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

@chaoscougar1 said:

@-Renegade said:

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@Jimn_tonic said:

@-Renegade said:

They just put that there to scare you; it's not true.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

I love smoking and sometimes these things make me real scared, but the addiction is always bigger. Maybe when I get a spot on the lip I'll get freaking scared aswell and quit as you did.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

chantix is almost as dangerous as smoking.

pfizer is busting their asses to cover up what is going on with that stuff.

they are literally hiding the death count by misfiling the paperwork they are required to turn in.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/43187290/ns/health-health_care/t/smoking-pill-suicides-overlooked-missing-reports/?ns=health-health_care&t=smoking-pill-suicides-overlooked-missing-reports

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

That's one nasty habbit i don't plan on picking up.

picklesurprise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 picklesurprise
Member since 2013 • 185 Posts

You're kind of leaving us in suspense here.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Not smoking is one of the best choices I've made in my life so far. It's easy to not smoke if you never started in the first place.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_lance
Lone_Wolf_Lance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lone_Wolf_Lance
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts

@sonicare said:

Yes I did. Felt like a normal kiss, probably because I smoke too.

@WhiteKnight77 said:

My Ma called me while I was on the way back home from a job. She said she had some bad news concerning my Pops. She hemmed and hawed a bit and I had to drag it out of her. She told me that my Pops had a spot on his lung and it was found to be cancerous. Worse yet, it was inoperable due to it's location. My heart sunk due to me once being a smoker and being the oldest and I knew pretty much that it was a death sentence unless something miraculous happened. He decided to try chemotherapy and was doing OK until one night when he went to his lodge meeting and sat under an air conditioning duct. A couple weeks later, he was in the hospital with pneumonia. I was on another job and in Texas (Pops was in VA) and had only been there a week when my Ma told me she had to call the ambulance due to my Pops being sick. That freaked me out, as well as him I think.

Still, he hoped that the chemo would help, but in the end, he still lived over a year from the first diagnosis. If it is operable, your life expectancy from lung cancer goes up. It really hits someone when they look at the doctor and tell him that there would be no more treatments of any kind. That is them accepting that time is short. It was just over 2 months from that time til my Pops died. Watching someone struggle to breath as they fight to live is really hard to watch.

Dang, that's.... sorry to hear that bro.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 WhiteKnight77

@lone_wolf_lance said:

@sonicare said:

Yes I did. Felt like a normal kiss, probably because I smoke too.

@WhiteKnight77 said:

Dang, that's.... sorry to hear that bro.

Now imagine you as my Pops.