A serious topic about depression/suicdal tendencies.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TBoogy
Member since 2007 • 4382 Posts

I don't make lots of topics, and never thought I would make one asking for help (or about anything real serious) but this seems like one that O.T. can help me with. I have noticed threads on the subject here before, and have often wondered "why so many sad people here?!?"

I never understood depression, so never took it seriously. So of course, now someone close to me has this problem. I don't want to go into too many details, but they are in the hospital & receiving counseling. When they are out, what can I do? Is there anything that I can do to help such a person? Things I should avoid? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
The best thing you can do is simply be a good friend. How you might go about this depends upon the person and their problem.
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
Suicidal Tendencies are a terrible band. I hate all those crossover thrash/hardcore generic punk bands. Except for a very rare few, the ones further from crossover thrash. This is what the thread is about right? I mean this is OT, we only talk about music and religion here. EDIT: Best way to help with depression or suicidal thoughts with someone, in my opinion, is to talk to them and try to show them all the good things in life and let the person know that others have it worse off. I'm not expert on the subject, however. I felt I should give an honest response as well because it is quite a personal thing to some people.
Lethargika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lethargika
Member since 2009 • 1666 Posts

The best thing you can do is simply be a good friend. How you might go about this depends upon the person and their problem.mindstorm

Agreed, I would let him know that you are there to listen, and to be his close friend. Listen to his problems, and offer him solace.

TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TBoogy
Thank you all for your replies (and even BOTH of yours, xTheExploited ;) )
TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TBoogy

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]The best thing you can do is simply be a good friend. How you might go about this depends upon the person and their problem.Lethargika

Agreed, I would let him know that you are there to listen, and to be his close friend. Listen to his problems, and offer him solace.

Special thanks to you both. made me think; my instinct in this case is to say what I think they need to hear. Maybe I should ask, and let them say what they feel.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts
Just be a friend. But if you notice their behavior changing...tell someone.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Don't presume you know what's best for them. Just listen to what they say and keep your eyes open for indications that they may be a danger to themselves. Let them know they can call or drop by whenever. Yea, just basically be there, but if they start giving away prized possessions, cutting themselves and all that jazz, let a professional know right away.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

Just try and avoid reminding them of their failures, obviously...and try to be there for them...it helps knowing that someone actually cares about you...

Mossaike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Mossaike
Member since 2006 • 714 Posts

As the others above have said. Be as good a friend as you can be to this person. Go out and do fun stuff. Take their mind off of the negative thought and make then laugh and enjoy life. Hopefully that person will see the light some day. I have a close friend who is always down and depressed and even thinks about committing suicide. I don't understand why because his life isn't bad and other people have it off way worse then him. The only thing I hate about how he acts and thinks is I know this person is depressed but he doesn't deserve tons of special attention compared to other people just because he can esaily say ''I'm going to kill myself''. But then if he really does kill himself, I can't help but feel likepoop Anyways do what I do. Hang out with this person and just have a good time. One day this person shall see the light in life.

TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TBoogy
Thanks again.
Truf89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Truf89
Member since 2006 • 4680 Posts

Jus try to show your support. Everyone gets down once in awhile. But try to help it from getting too far. Introduce him to a girlfriend orsomething. Or try to get him a job if he doesnt have one. Money helps. Its the root of all evil.

TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TBoogy

Jus try to show your support. Everyone gets down once in awhile. But try to help it from getting too far. Introduce him to a girlfriend orsomething. Or try to get him a job if he doesnt have one. Money helps. Its the root of all evil.

Truf89
I do think this one is mostly financial. But it's a girl, by the way. I know I haven't said so until now...
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

[QUOTE="Truf89"]

TBoogy

I do think this one is mostly financial. But it's a girl, by the way. I know I haven't said so until now...

Money wouldn't help fix it..try and show her how special she is..show her she's loved...show her how important she is..show her she isn't worthless and that life is worth living..show her there are people that care...show her that things will get better..but then again..those may not work...it's a hard thing to try and help...

Truf89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Truf89

Try to show here how special she is.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Well, probably most of us had to go through rough roads, and we use GameSpot and video games to comfort ourselves.

Be a good friend to whatever this person may be and watch how he/she reacts to stuff. People drop clues when they are depress.

TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TBoogy

Did she cheat or something? Maybe he should stop thinkin of other people and try to take a step back to observe things. Money problems can be pretty hectic. Relationships are naturally. I hope he doesnt smoke or drink right now either.

Truf89
No, it's not a guy MAD about a girl. It IS a girl. Just unhappy with her life right now. Family/money issues.
hiphopballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 hiphopballer
Member since 2009 • 4059 Posts

i notice that there are a lot of sad ppl here too.

Truf89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Truf89

[QUOTE="Truf89"]

Did she cheat or something? Maybe he should stop thinkin of other people and try to take a step back to observe things. Money problems can be pretty hectic. Relationships are naturally. I hope he doesnt smoke or drink right now either.

TBoogy

No, it's not a guy MAD about a girl. It IS a girl. Just unhappy with her life right now. Family/money issues.

I editted it. I type fast. I wish there was something that could help with that.

Arkasai7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Arkasai7
Member since 2004 • 4652 Posts
One of my roommates tried to kill himself recently. What you do from that point on depends on the person. Acting overly "nice" or pleasant around them could make them feel awkward and remind them of the incident. But for others this might not bother them and they may find it comforting. Hard to say really, depends a lot on what kind of person your friend is.
kamil488

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kamil488
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I have depression - it's terrible. I thought also about killing myself but I would never do that. You never know if the person's gonna do that, so keep your ears open for suicide jokes and any of that stuff which normally wouldn't matter.
Truf89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Truf89

One of my roommates tried to kill himself recently. What you do from that point on depends on the person. Acting overly "nice" or pleasant around them could make them feel awkward and remind them of the incident. But for others this might not bother them and they may find it comforting. Hard to say really, depends a lot on what kind of person your friend is.Arkasai7

That is true. Mainly though. Try to inivte your friend over..simply try to hang out with them more. Whenever you can really Show them that they mean something to you. These types of thing are always complicated, but from your standpoint do whatever you can.

kamil488

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kamil488
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="Arkasai7"]One of my roommates tried to kill himself recently. What you do from that point on depends on the person. Acting overly "nice" or pleasant around them could make them feel awkward and remind them of the incident. But for others this might not bother them and they may find it comforting. Hard to say really, depends a lot on what kind of person your friend is.Truf89

That is true. Mainly though. Try to inivte your friend over..simply try to hang out with them more. Whenever you can really Show them that they mean something to you. These types of thing are always complicated, but from your standpoint do whatever you can.

You can't over do hanging out as well :). Such person will probably assume that you are fake, jokes like "Get up you sun of a beach" in the morning should not cause problem but make the person feel like everything is normal now, such open comments will make the person feel comfortable around you, i mean what if he said "Well, i wanted to go see some movies but im bored, ill go back to sleep" and you said "oh, ok."
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
One of my roommates tried to kill himself recently. What you do from that point on depends on the person. Acting overly "nice" or pleasant around them could make them feel awkward and remind them of the incident. But for others this might not bother them and they may find it comforting. Hard to say really, depends a lot on what kind of person your friend is.Arkasai7
I completely agree. By trying to cheer the person up, you may only remind them of why they hate this world in the first place and feel secluded because they know you know that you're being overly helpful. I would suggest carrying on as if nothing ever happened, but again it depends on the person. They key is to move past the fact of the attempted suicide. BTW how did she try to go? The method can be a good indicator of a cry for help or just end it all now.
TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TBoogy
I have depression - it's terrible. I thought also about killing myself but I would never do that. You never know if the person's gonna do that, so keep your ears open for suicide jokes and any of that stuff which normally wouldn't matter.kamil488
Thanks for the advice, and I sincerely hope it gets better for you. I have read that diet can play a part. As I am not a fan of medication, i will likely try to get her to try a holistic approach. Again, thanks for sharing. And keep your head up. There are always great times right around the corner...
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#26 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
TBoogy, knowing you, you already know what to do and will do a good job. Just be there for them and be a good friend. The 2 friends I have with depression I just treat like all others, I just try to be a bit more patient with.
TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TBoogy

TBoogy, knowing you, you already know what to do and will do a good job. Just be there for them and be a good friend. The 2 friends I have with depression I just treat like all others, I just try to be a bit more patient with.btaylor2404
Thanks, B. Very kind of you to say that. And funny you should say that; at first I doubted I had the patience to deal with it, then realized that I have dealt with a friend having a somewhat similar issue before. And I helped her. I hope I can do it again.

(the 1st girl wasn't depressed or suicidal, she was fearful & distrustful of men. She had been molested twice as a young girl. One from a man that died of aids. I showed her that not all men are evil.)

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Stanley09
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts
skip the antidespressants and smoke some weed. Its a morale boost for sure