A Quick Question About Religion.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MetallicaKings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 MetallicaKings
Member since 2004 • 4781 Posts

Many theists, in regards to the big bang, come to say "How can the Universe come from nothing?"

Now first off, no scientist ever says or implies this. That quote is made out of ignorance to the subject of the big bang.

NONE THE LESS! Let's, just for the sake of it, believe that is true. It is implying, there has to be a start, a beginning, from some kind of designer. As Dawkins put it:The natural temptation is to attribute the appearance of design to actual design itself. In the case of a man-made artefact such as a watch, the designer really was an intelligent engineer. It is tempting to apply the same logic to an eye or a wing, a spider or a person.

But, doesn't this argument somewhat equate to a rebuttle to theists: Then who designed God? Isn't God the equivalent to the big bang, in the sense of arugment? Someone had to create the Universe is the same dispute as someone had to create God, no?

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

God created himself, obviously.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
God is considered to have always existed. The universe I don't believe is believed to have always existed.
Pearl_of_Egypt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pearl_of_Egypt
Member since 2007 • 4073 Posts
I see this place really hasn't changed all that much.
Otacon6669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Otacon6669
Member since 2007 • 492 Posts

To say that everything requires a "beginning" implies the existance of time. God is outside of time, also before the "big bang" there was nothing, which means there was no time either, so the argument fails in that manner too

EDIT: existence*

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
I see this place really hasn't changed all that much.Pearl_of_Egypt
Flashback to the past......:o No it hasn't.
Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts
Our minds can't process it yet is my opinion. Its obvious we are all here and everything we can see is real. Or men in black logic. Our universe is just a marble being used by aliens who are also in a marble being tossed into other marbles.
MetallicaKings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 MetallicaKings
Member since 2004 • 4781 Posts

To say that everything requires a "beginning" implies the existance of time. God is outside of time, also before the "big bang" there was nothing, which means there was no time either, so the argument fails in that manner too

Otacon6669
Once again, no scientist has ever said there was nothing before the big bang. We just have no probable way of ever finding out what truly came before the Universe. That is close to impossible at any time. Sure, scientists have ideas of different possibilities. For example, the Universe expands, then contracts in itself, then a new bang occurs, doing the same over and over again. Others say we have multiple universes tied to together. ETC ETC All I'm trying to say, is the Big Bang never is the answer to the beginning of EVERYTHING. It is the beginning of our time, and our Universe as we know it. So saying that the argument is flawed, when the big bang never even presents an argument in that sense, is very ignorant.
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts
How is this a question about religion? Your questioning the argument rather than religion itself.
Pearl_of_Egypt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pearl_of_Egypt
Member since 2007 • 4073 Posts

[QUOTE="Pearl_of_Egypt"]I see this place really hasn't changed all that much.LJS9502_basic
Flashback to the past......:o No it hasn't.

Yup, long time to see LJS. I'm actually glad it hasn't, I'm not too lost :D

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

i see it as this: scientists are trying to figure out HOW the universe was created. NOT just saying "God made it." Religions just trust what people put in a holy book with NO scientific evidence AT ALL. I'd rather go along with an educated guess/hypothesis than just agree with something written in the bible. Nobody really knows exactly how the universe was made (because we weren't born yet) but science can try to explain it better than "God made it".

UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 UniverseIX
Member since 2011 • 989 Posts
this wasn't necessary
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The only problem with Dawkins' argument is that it assumes that God cannot be infinite and requires creation. This tends to be an issue most atheists can't grasp... like how most theists cannot understand how atheists can live a moral life without God.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
"Quick Question" about religion doesn't exist on this board.
Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts
Basically you are confining God to time, when God is not confined to time. The word eternal is hard for most people to grasp because we never have seen eternity before. God does not require creation, for He has always existed.
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts

Many theists, in regards to the big bang, come to say "How can the Universe come from nothing?"

Now first off, no scientist ever says or implies this. That quote is made out of ignorance to the subject of the big bang.

NONE THE LESS! Let's, just for the sake of it, believe that is true. It is implying, there has to be a start, a beginning, from some kind of designer. As Dawkins put it:The natural temptation is to attribute the appearance of design to actual design itself. In the case of a man-made artefact such as a watch, the designer really was an intelligent engineer. It is tempting to apply the same logic to an eye or a wing, a spider or a person.

But, doesn't this argument somewhat equate to a rebuttle to theists: Then who designed God? Isn't God the equivalent to the big bang, in the sense of arugment? Someone had to create the Universe is the same dispute as someone had to create God, no?

MetallicaKings

Short answer: God has no beginning and no end.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
this wasn't necessaryUniverseIX
Nor is this a "quick question".
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts
This question is one of philosophy and metaphysics, not science. I will answer as such. God is the thing which has always existed, regardless of the universe. If there was a being which created God, then is not that being instead God? And if God is, then by definition God cannot be otherwise. There can be no location in space or point in time in which God is not. Therefore there can be no first cause of God because God is the first cause of absolutely everything.