A moment of profound clarity / existentialism

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#1 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

this thought followed by complex emotions, which once absorbed, subsequently changed your perception of yourself and your place in this incomprehensible world that we name reality

have you had this thought, and if so; when did you have it, do you have it often, and what did the idea consist of conceptually, to you?

just curious

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Wow

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

Hopefully this doesn't come across as arrogant but this is a fairly frequent phenomenon. It generally happens when I am listening to the right songs, and/or if I spend a great deal of time by myself processing through my life: where I have been, where I am now, and where I think I may be going And overall, this set of calmness comes over me, almost transcendent in a way, and I am always ready to face the challenges in the day.

To simplify even more, that "moment" happens usually when I am meditating.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Don't do drugs, kids.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I've had several but the world always interrupts them. Clarity is nice but shit is what most of us have to deal with day to day.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58296 Posts

you mean like an epiphany?

nope, still waiting for mine.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Oh Jesus F'ing Christ.....

See? This is where part of society is "well what and for what not am I thinking?"

You're not thinking anything important, all life functions work without your commands, if they don't you die.

You're not special, you don't have any insight.

Everyone just lives.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58296 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

See? This is where part of society is "well what and for what not am I thinking?"

You're not thinking anything important, all life functions work without your commands, if they don't you die.

Everyone just lives.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

Never. I had everything clear and well founded since birth.

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AND1SALTTAPE
Member since 2015 • 861 Posts

They come to pass when I don't notice them.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

Oh yeah I've had moments like that, they feel very exhilarating. I don't recall the last time I've had that unfortunately.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I'm often reminded of when The Buddha touched the Earth with the realization that all existence is cooperative. Things are as they are because they could not be otherwise.

I'm not religious by any means, but the Buddha was right in that the first step to enlightenment is to become aware and observant of the reality you exist in.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I get that perspective almost everyday through meditation, It keeps me level-headed 98% of the time!

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

the first step to enlightenment is to become aware and observant of the reality you exist in.

Well said

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I can't pinpoint the specific moment, but I can honestly remember my life changed the moment I realized that whether I prayed or not good things or bad things might happen to me or to those around me. So I said? "Why bother?" Early step on who I am today, big moment in my life.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

After reading that one chapter in Alan Moore's "Watchmen" where Dr. Manhattan is on Mars contemplating humanity's continued existence and himself existing in all places and times at once gave me one of those "heightened consciousness" moments for a good couple hours. First and only time that's happened without chemical assistance.

I could only describe it as a feeling of complete "oneness" with all reality.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#17 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I'm kinda feeling that way right now. I used to repress myself a lot and live a normal life, but more and more I'm realizing that nobody else is really living a normal life and I'm far from normal to begin with. I've gotta embrace the crazy. We all should.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

I had something like this when I drunk 8 pints and realised I had to get up in 5 hours and to drive some place miles away. I was like "Why the hell did I just do that" with thoughts of "how silly of me".

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

i'm currently indecisive as to where i stand in this multiverse. it's all narrowed down to this very question; whether awareness exists outside our physical body or not. i used to be one hundred percent sure that it didn't and it was all BS and wishful thinking made to calm the simple minded down. i'm not as sure as i used to be anymore and i'm seeking answers. till then, i consider myself lost.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BiancaDK

@foxhound_fox: it does feel exactly like that at times

@VaguelyTagged: do you consider the feeling and/or growing realization of being lost in this world - spiritually or intellectually; a negative or a positive?

what's your stance on being in a state of not being able to ultimately verify the world you exist in?

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BiancaDK
@br0kenrabbit said:

I'm often reminded of when The Buddha touched the Earth with the realization that all existence is cooperative. Things are as they are because they could not be otherwise.

this notion boggles my mind on a regular basis

it influences fatalistic concepts, deterministic concepts, the anthropic principle, existentialism

amazing concept, hard to take in really

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

@BiancaDK said:

@VaguelyTagged: do you consider the feeling and/or growing realization of being lost in this world - spiritually or intellectually; a negative or a positive?

what's your stance on being in a state of not being able to ultimately verify the world you exist in?

as of late, there has been days in which i've had to deal with this overwhelming feeling of detachment from the whole "reality" of my everyday life. it scares the hell out of me .
i tried hard to answer your second question. wrote few paragraphs multiple times but ended up deleting them altogether. i just know that it will be deeply saddening if someday i find out that there was a way to understand it and i didn't have to live with this unbearable loneliness and self alienation.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

i've had something like that a few times; it's always a private epiphany because when you start spouting shit that you finally understand on a conceptual level, people tend to not believe you and think you're stupid for thinking of something that they think is relatively simple

for example, i've always heard the platitude that the world is a harsh place and people suck and are selfish, but it's only after experiencing it from someone who i thought cared about me did i really believe it. i never try to let that get to me though and it fuels my expectations and gives me a sense of drive and purpose to do the opposite

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Everyone just lives.

>thinking just because you think of a thought that may be unoriginal means youre better off not thinking at all

>holding on so dearly to societal expectations and constructs and status quo

alright dude

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@supa_badman said:
@Jaysonguy said:

Everyone just lives.

>thinking just because you think of a thought that may be unoriginal means youre better off not thinking at all

>holding on so dearly to societal expectations and constructs and status quo

alright dude

Everything up there?

Hippie bullshit.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BiancaDK

@Jaysonguy: why do you conclude that the ideas he presents are of less value compared to the ideas you present?