Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@Nuck81: KKK per Wikipedia

It's worth noting: "Though most members of the KKK saw themselves in holding to American values and Christian morality, virtually every Christian denomination officially denounced the Ku Klux Klan."

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#102 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@jasean79 said:

It's worth noting: "Though most members of the KKK saw themselves in holding to American values and Christian morality, virtually every Christian denomination officially denounced the Ku Klux Klan."

Ahhhh, you mean like how most of the worlds 1.2 billion Muslims denounce the terrorism done in their religions name.

Gotcha

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 jasean79

@Nuck81 said:

@jasean79 said:

Ahhhh, you mean like how most of the worlds 1.2 billion Muslims denounce the terrorism done in their religions name.

Gotcha

great, so we've reached a stalemate. :|

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 deactivated-5e9044657a310

@jasean79 said:

@Nuck81 said:

@jasean79 said:

Gotcha

No, I've merely walked you into a double standard that was already there, but you weren't knowledgeable enough to see.

You're probably not very good at Chess are you?

Kenocratic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#105  Edited By Kenocratic
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts

Does it count that I read some of the Quran if I read the summary in the first post?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#106 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@kenocratic said:

Does it count that I read some of the Quran if I read the summary in the first post?

its more than many bellievers have, so high five

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#107 10854
Member since 2014 • 116 Posts

@helwa1988: Myth? tell that to the rape victims in imprisoned.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 jasean79

@Nuck81 said:

@jasean79 said:

@Nuck81 said:

@jasean79 said:

Gotcha

No, I've merely walked you into a double standard that was already there, but you weren't knowledgeable enough to see.

You're probably not very good at Chess are you?

I'm okay at it. My mid-game could use some work, but I'm not bad.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

@10854:

I didn't say it was a myth that rape victims get imprisoned . I said it was a myth that islam says a rape victim should be imprisoned. You cant judge what these muslim majority countries as to what islam says. Because most of them are following what their culture says instead of what islam says.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

@helwa1988 said:

@10854:

I didn't say it was a myth that rape victims get imprisoned . I said it was a myth that islam says a rape victim should be imprisoned. You cant judge what these muslim majority countries as to what islam says. Because most of them are following what their culture says instead of what islam says.

agreed

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#111 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@Nuck81 said:

I'm a non Muslim and about 3/4 of the way through....

-Jihad means to Overcome Internal Struggle, Strive for Social Justice, and to Overcome oppressive Tyranny.

-Women are equal to men in Islam

-Don't hate other people, Treat Others Fairly

-If someone says Hi to you say Hi back to them.

-Spend your money for good: to help your parents, your family, orphans, wayfarers, and the needy.

It's a shame fanatics have given Islam fuel to let others that don't understand to intensify their fear and Hatred. I guess Islam has the same problems Modern Christianity does, It's true message has been subverted by Dogma, Greed, Fanaticism, and desire for power and Influence.

Actually I don't think Islam has the same problems modern Christianity does. So far as I know there are not large numbers of Christians that are members of or support terrorist groups in the name of Christianity, in a way comparable to support in the Muslim world for groups like ISIS, Al Qaida, Boko Haram, Hamas and Hezbollah, or that frequently attack and try to kill non-believers or force them to convert. Now it may very well be a minority of Muslims who are supporting these things, but the minority is sizable enough to constitute a large segment of the population. Generally speaking majority Christian countries do not treat non-Christians as second-hand citizens, but Majority-Muslim countries do often restrict the rights of non-Muslims.

As for the true message being "subverted" by greed, fanaticism and desire for power and influence, that's not just a Muslim or a Christian thing, that's true for every religion and philosophy (including "secular religions"). A lot of people are greedy and prone to fanaticism and a desire for power, regardless of their religion or lack thereof. As far as the true message of a religion being "subverted" by Dogma, that doesn't make much sense. A dogma is essentially a belief that a certain group holds to be true. So the "true message" of a religion can't be "subverted" by the dogma of a religion, since the "true message" and the "dogma" are both the same thing (i.e. the "beliefs" of the religion).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By deactivated-5e9044657a310

@whipassmt said:

@Nuck81 said:

-Jihad means to Overcome Internal Struggle, Strive for Social Justice, and to Overcome oppressive Tyranny.

-Spend your money for good: to help your parents, your family, orphans, wayfarers, and the needy.

It's a shame fanatics have given Islam fuel to let others that don't understand to intensify their fear and Hatred. I guess Islam has the same problems Modern Christianity does, It's true message has been subverted by Dogma, Greed, Fanaticism, and desire for power and Influence.

Actually I don't think Islam has the same problems modern Christianity does. So far as I know there are not large numbers of Christians that are members of or support terrorist groups in the name of Christianity, in a way comparable to support in the Muslim world for groups like ISIS, Al Qaida, Boko Haram, Hamas and Hezbollah, or that frequently attack and try to kill non-believers or force them to convert. Now it may very well be a minority of Muslims who are supporting these things, but the minority is sizable enough to constitute a large segment of the population. Generally speaking majority Christian countries do not treat non-Christians as second-hand citizens, but Majority-Muslim countries do often restrict the rights of non-Muslims.

As for the true message being "subverted" by greed, fanaticism and desire for power and influence, that's not just a Muslim or a Christian thing, that's true for every religion and philosophy (including "secular religions"). A lot of people are greedy and prone to fanaticism and a desire for power, regardless of their religion or lack thereof. As far as the true message of a religion being "subverted" by Dogma, that doesn't make much sense. A dogma is essentially a belief that a certain group holds to be true. So the "true message" of a religion can't be "subverted" by the dogma of a religion, since the "true message" and the "dogma" are both the same thing (i.e. the "beliefs" of the religion).

I'll admit, you almost got me to bite.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#113 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Nuck81 said:

you could say the exact same thing about jews or christians. They're just as bad and have just as much bloodlust as them

I don't think so. There is not widespread support of terrorism among Christians or Jews today. A more accurate example for you to use would have been Communists or Anarchists. Those are indeed pretty violent groups, more so than Islam I would say.

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 PurpleLabel
Member since 2014 • 314 Posts

@whipassmt said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Nuck81 said:

you could say the exact same thing about jews or christians. They're just as bad and have just as much bloodlust as them

I don't think so. There is not widespread support of terrorism among Christians or Jews today. A more accurate example for you to use would have been Communists or Anarchists. Those are indeed pretty violent groups, more so than Islam I would say.

It's all those christian suicide bombers, and jews flying planes into buildings. *rolls eyes*.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#115 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@whipassmt said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Nuck81 said:

PFFF! Really? So what's happening in Gaza right now? What about all the thousands and thousands of people USA have killed in Iraq and Afghanistan? You call yourself a christian country... Hell it's the same with England and anyone else that helped with the war down there. And don't forget that Russians are also christian, they kill people in Georgia, Cheznya and Ukraine

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@whipassmt said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Nuck81 said:

PFFF! Really? So what's happening in Gaza right now? What about all the thousands and thousands of people USA have killed in Iraq and Afghanistan? You call yourself a christian country... Hell it's the same with England and anyone else that helped with the war down there. And don't forget that Russians are also christian, they kill people in Georgia, Cheznya and Ukraine

None of those are being done for religious reasons.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 The_Last_Ride

@LJS9502_basic: You could argue that. It's still religion clashing and religious leaders in charge

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 LJS9502_basic

@The_Last_Ride said:

@LJS9502_basic: You could argue that. It's still religion clashing and religious leaders in charge

No it's not. For arguments sake let's say you are from Belize. If you and I get into a confrontation would I be correct in blaming it on Belize? No. Just because an individual or a group are x does not mean everything they do is related to x. You seem to want neat little packages to place people in and assign blame. Life is not like that.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 The_Last_Ride

@LJS9502_basic said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

No it's not. For arguments sake let's say you are from Belize. If you and I get into a confrontation would I be correct in blaming it on Belize? No. Just because an individual or a group are x does not mean everything they do is related to x. You seem to want neat little packages to place people in and assign blame. Life is not like that.

you're incredibly naive to think that no violence ever has nothing to do with reliigion

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 LJS9502_basic

@The_Last_Ride said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

you're incredibly naive to think that no violence ever has nothing to do with reliigion

That isn't what I said. But your constant attempt to make every violent act based on religion is dishonest.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

http://podbay.fm/show/73330895/e/1395921000?autostart=1

go to 47:00

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

Yeah...this isn't going to end well.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#123  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@whipassmt said:

@Nuck81 said:

There are large numbers of Christians who support state terrorism, and use Christianity to justify it. But because it's state terrorism, despite it causing far more death and destruction than non-state terrorism, it often gets a free pass in a way non-state terrorism wouldn't. When a non-state-sanctioned Muslim psycho kills a bunch of people, we call it "terrorism". When a state-sanctioned Christian psycho bombs a town full of civilians, we call it "war". It's a bit like how we always condemn and harshly punish petty, badly-dressed, ghetto thugs who commit low-level crimes, yet give a free pass to far bigger, smartly-dressed, wealthy criminals who commit high-level crimes that destroy far more lives. The difference is that wealthier criminals have the power and influence to legitimize their crimes, whereas the poorer criminals do not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

@whipassmt said:

@Nuck81 said:

- There's been plenty of bombings and murders on abortion clinics and doctors by religious right wing Christian fundamentalist.

- In Lebanon Christian malitia's committed genocide against Shiite Muslims.

- Religion was certainly used to justify violence in the Troubles in Ireland.

- Christian groups in India killed Hindus who refused to convert to Christianity.

- Churches incited genocide in Rwanda.

- I've seen a few people dismiss the KKK but only in April a member committed an attack against a Jewish community centre and has seen membership larger than any of those Muslim groups.

- Christians were involved in the largest genocide since the holocaust in Europe in Bosnia.

I don't think any religion is better or worse, stick them in any unstable country and there's murders and conflict. There's all sorts of terrible stuff going on in India and Africa by Christians but it's largely ignored by the media, it's incredible i've never heard a western news network call any Christian group causing atrocities terrorists despite the fact that there's plenty of groups declared so.

Also the Muslim groups you listed are actually pretty small, ISIS are reported to be ~10,000 in strength. Under a religion of 1.2 billion that's 0.00083% of the Muslim population. I'd be surprised if extremist groups amount to even 0.01% let alone half a percent. You've then got the fact that many simply aren't fighting for religious causes but political ones (give Robert Pape a look up he found 95% of suicide attacks weren't religiously motivated, odd considering the media rhetoric).

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

@hoosier7 said:

stick them in any unstable country and there's murders and conflict.

Where then are all the Tibetan buddhist terrorists?