A better world with/without religion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Stumpt25
Member since 2006 • 1482 Posts

I was just thinking, what do you guys think? Would the world be a better place without Religion? Or would it be worse?

I personally believe that although there are a lot of terrible things that happen because of religion, such as terrorism, somtimes wars, etc.etc.etc.

I think that often we dont add up the amount of lives which are saved by religion too. Whether or not God is real, religion has given millions of people hope and fulfillment in their lives. Some people have turned away from suicide because they believe that they felt a divine presence. We also don't take into account the amount of charities that have been set up by religious people and gatherings.

If the world lost religion, i believe that we would be losing a huge part of culture which makes the world so interesting and beautiful. Dances, rituals, buildings, paintings, statues, music, literature etc.etc.etc.

What do you think? Is there no place in the world for religion?

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Religion good, misunderstanding bad.
a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 a55assin
Member since 2005 • 7603 Posts

not again..not another religion thread....

since religion exists..there is no point is talking about the what-ifs

Fdar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Fdar
Member since 2003 • 193 Posts
Humans cant exist with out some form of Religon its part of our DNA.
kirk4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kirk4ever
Member since 2005 • 3543 Posts

Humans cant exist with out some form of Religon its part of our DNA.Fdar

yes i agre..without the concept of religion ppl would go insane

Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Stumpt25
Member since 2006 • 1482 Posts

Religious threads are part of Off-Topic.

If you dont want "another religious thread", then dont post in it.

Zagrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Zagrius
Member since 2002 • 3820 Posts
I don't think religion really has such an impact on how the world is right now. Without it people would just find other reasons to do whatever they do, good or bad.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
A better ONLY without humanity....
The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts

TC: The world would still be what it is, with or without it.

Humans cant exist with out some form of Religon its part of our DNA.Fdar

That is ridiculous. Abstract concepts like ideals and beliefs are not a part of our DNA.

Aumala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Aumala
Member since 2005 • 6678 Posts
The problem with religion is that it is power. men always seek power and use it for their own need
weak-sauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 weak-sauce
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts
The bad thing is some people can't live with other people worshiping other gods/things. They are corrupt. That is why there is terrorism. They HATE other religions. But do you think the world would be better if everybody was athiest? No, freedom of religion is better. I am going to stop now, I don't want to be provoking my catholic faith on a public forum more then this. Have a good day.
Makemap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Makemap
Member since 2007 • 3755 Posts

Well its alot better with religions back then. If there weren't any back then everyone would be running around like barbarians. Killing each with no point, Massive corruption(I said Back then).

Now, maybe not, We are alot smarter than before by alot. Lot's of people don't have a religious idea and they aren't acting like cavemans cause they are smart. If we go dumb again we will probably have to go with the religion again.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts
If there is no religion, there are no absolutes... no absolutes= no laws... so REALLY really bad if we didn't have religion...
D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts
Since there's always going to be people who use it to justify killing, the world would be better without it.
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 battlefront23

Since there's always going to be people who use it to justify killing, the world would be better without it.D9-THC

Stalin?

Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts

If there is no religion, there are no absolutes... no absolutes= no laws... so REALLY really bad if we didn't have religion...battlefront23

Huh?

princess1087

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 princess1087
Member since 2004 • 1804 Posts

If there is no religion, there are no absolutes... n absolutes= no laws... so REALLY really bad if we didn't have religion...battlefront23

that's pretty much how i see it. However, problems come up when people decide their way is the ONLY way and argue. The only flaw with religion being a part of our world? religious extremists who are hard headed and chose to try and revert EVERYONE to their way of thinking *cough* scientologists *cough*. . .

edit: without religions we'd have no "thou shalt not kill" or any of that, so in a sense, old religions pretty much established order for us. if not, killing would be common place along with rape, theft, abuse, etc. We have animalistic instincts and without some sort of moral laws to abide by, we'd be nothing BUT animals.

but anyway, EVERYONE tries to find some sort of explanation for what we don't understand. thus the reason religions formed to begin with. Egytians didn't understand what the sun was or the stars or what made the rivers flow, so they created a sun god and a moon god and etc. they didn't know what they had to face in the afterlife, so they created a god for that. people can't handle NOT having an explination for what they don't know, so they'll always create religions.

D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 D9-THC

[QUOTE="D9-THC"]Since there's always going to be people who use it to justify killing, the world would be better without it.battlefront23

Stalin?

No...there is a major difference in denying the existance of god in order to feel no guilt and to demoralize a nation you're trying to dominate and being rid of religion.

I believe in god but cannot stand religion. Religion stops people from finding god because they are told lies and misinformation in order to get them to behave in a certain way.

God wants you to think for yourself...he gave you a brain and you owe it to him to use it....

Conanfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Conanfan1
Member since 2005 • 8014 Posts
If there is no religion, there are no absolutes... no absolutes= no laws... so REALLY really bad if we didn't have religion...battlefront23
You really think people can't tell the difference between bad and good without religion?
Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#20 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
I generally blame religion for everything much like a blame the us government for all my problems. I crash my car, it was the government and religion plotting against me.
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 battlefront23

[QUOTE="battlefront23"]If there is no religion, there are no absolutes... n absolutes= no laws... so REALLY really bad if we didn't have religion...princess1087

that's pretty much how i see it. However, problems come up when people decide their way is the ONLY way and argue. The only flaw with religion being a part of our world? religious extremists who are hard headed and chose to try and revert EVERYONE to their way of thinking *cough* scientologists *cough*. . .

edit: without religions we'd have no "thou shalt not kill" or any of that, so in a sense, old religions pretty much established order for us. if not, killing would be common place along with rape, theft, abuse, etc. We have animalistic instincts and without some sort of moral laws to abide by, we'd be nothing BUT animals.

but anyway, EVERYONE tries to find some sort of explanation for what we don't understand. thus the reason religions formed to begin with. Egytians didn't understand what the sun was or the stars or what made the rivers flow, so they created a sun god and a moon god and etc. they didn't know what they had to face in the afterlife, so they created a god for that. people can't handle NOT having an explination for what they don't know, so they'll always create religions.

But I think believing in God makes perfect sense...

dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts
even if there wasn't religion people would still fight over money, polotics, etc. people are stupid...however i think if Religion was abolished it would help allot
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
It would be better without it, in my opinion...
D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 D9-THC

[QUOTE="battlefront23"]If there is no religion, there are no absolutes... n absolutes= no laws... so REALLY really bad if we didn't have religion...princess1087

"Thou shalt not kill" is human instinct. We don't need to believe in a higher power to understand empathy and compassion.

princess1087

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 princess1087
Member since 2004 • 1804 Posts

"Thou shalt not kill" is human instinct. We don't need to believe in a higher power to understand empathy and compassion.

D9-THC

it's only been like that for about... a century if that? a lot of people killed people for sport in the mid 1800 and earlier (mostly because some people believed they were superior and others were inferior [i.e. the slaves]). you'd be surprised how far our self control and intelligence has advanced over the past millenia or so.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I don't think that there is anything wrong with religion. However, the crazies who go to the extremes are problematic and end up making religion in general look bad and end up doing destructive things.
Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
Without religion we would all go to heaven because we wouldn't have learnt what sins are and wouldn't know any better.
TkLive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TkLive
Member since 2007 • 730 Posts
People are the ones who exploit religion, and take advantage of it. The people are the ones who should be blamed, not the beliefs.
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
Religion instills morals. I don't believe religion is the cause of conflict either, it's usually economic or political.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts

Better is subjective.

trix5817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 trix5817
Member since 2004 • 12252 Posts

It's called a conscience. I'm atheist yet you don't see me running around like a madman killing people. Actually, I'd bet that I'm a better person that many of the "Christians" here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
Yes,in a sense,the world would be better without religion,but there would also be no humanity in the world.
KillaHalo2o9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KillaHalo2o9
Member since 2006 • 5305 Posts
Religion dose more good than bad.
D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 D9-THC

Religion dose more good than bad.KillaHalo2o9

I can tell you're from Darfur.

Drathyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Drathyl
Member since 2006 • 363 Posts
I'm not a believer, and I still think that religion is something that has brought us here today. People are willing to go to the extremes with religion. Like sacrifice people and their babies and stuff. But then comes along religions that say you must be kind to your fellow man. It might have been the gods words, or maybe it was some clever bloke that saw the opportunity to help mankind and made that up. It doesn't matter. What matters is that through religion more people think about the fellow man's well being. Religion has it's downsides, but it has benefits too.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
how aboutkeeping religon but just one, so people cannot fight about it
lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts
The world would be a worse place for someone from the present. Some religious values are now the base of any common sense whether you believe in a deity or not. For all the greed of Christianity in it's pass, the good of this religion is unquestionable.
charlie_bm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 charlie_bm
Member since 2007 • 161 Posts
Religion can be, sometimes, a beautiful thing. I dont have a religion, but there are people in ths world that need something to hold to. Some say that they need religion to be full or happy, butI am happy without one. As there are different kind of people with different kinds of thoughts,religions have to exist, it is part of human constitution. I don't have a religion, but I have some things I believe to be true. In some ways, that's my religion.
ZhenDash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ZhenDash
Member since 2006 • 1483 Posts
Religion is optional. I can be inspired by a lot of things and religion is too blurry to be proven true compared to science that can prove many things in a more detailed way.
Spartan_385

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Spartan_385
Member since 2007 • 5195 Posts
Religion is a necessary evil.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Well its alot better with religions back then. If there weren't any back then everyone would be running around like barbarians. Killing each with no point, Massive corruption(I said Back then).

Now, maybe not, We are alot smarter than before by alot. Lot's of people don't have a religious idea and they aren't acting like cavemans cause they are smart. If we go dumb again we will probably have to go with the religion again.

Makemap

Thats false religion has no overbearing on morality and society.. Philsophers as early as Socrates proved that.. That being said Religion is fine, its the accepted ignorance which is not.. Take for instance Evolution, Alot of creationists completelytoss it aside with otu researching it..They don't give any other scientific theories as much skepticism even when there is far far FARless evidence to go for it.

I just think this is the ultimate flaw, mankind can not evolve ifthis trait spreads to every one.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
With. Religion inspires tolerance and compassion. It is human nature that causes war and violence. That nature is also complimented by ignorance and intolerance that is derived from a lack of education of foreign cultures.

You might think that because someone is fighting a war "for their religion" it is religions fault for that happening. You would be incorrect, it is that person ignorance towards the people they are fighting against that causes it.

The world would be a much better place if people would actually teach their children about other cultures and inspire them to be compassionate towards them.
jlh47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jlh47
Member since 2007 • 3326 Posts

I was just thinking, what do you guys think? Would the world be a better place without Religion? Or would it be worse?

I personally believe that although there are a lot of terrible things that happen because of religion, such as terrorism, somtimes wars, etc.etc.etc.

I think that often we dont add up the amount of lives which are saved by religion too. Whether or not God is real, religion has given millions of people hope and fulfillment in their lives. Some people have turned away from suicide because they believe that they felt a divine presence. We also don't take into account the amount of charities that have been set up by religious people and gatherings.

If the world lost religion, i believe that we would be losing a huge part of culture which makes the world so interesting and beautiful. Dances, rituals, buildings, paintings, statues, music, literature etc.etc.etc.

What do you think? Is there no place in the world for religion?

Stumpt25

watch go God go the south park episode....

espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 espoac
Member since 2005 • 4342 Posts
The world would be better without religion. But that'll never happen.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The world would be better without religion. But that'll never happen.espoac

You have any actual reasons to why you believe that or are you just saying "'cause?"
makaveli2344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 makaveli2344
Member since 2007 • 3106 Posts
Religion good, misunderstanding bad.musicalmac
_Colossus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 _Colossus_
Member since 2004 • 1704 Posts
Not sure how the world would be, it'ssimply too big of a view to actually get afirm guess on how itwould have been without religion.I can, however, definitely say that wars, conflicts andethnic cleansinghave many of its roots from religion.