98 remakes/reboots in the works

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

How feels you on this? Aside from Highlander, and ((assuming it's not terrible) Conan, not too interested.

Stuff like "The Birds" and "Das Boot" seem un-needed.

98 upcoming reboots

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60c6d07310a
deactivated-5b60c6d07310a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5b60c6d07310a
Member since 2015 • 357 Posts

Such a shame no one can find originality anymore...

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

@metalman0616 said:

QFT

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

IMO, either movies that had potential but tanked or movies past their prime ( made in the 50s to maybe the 70s) definitely deserve reboots but to reflect the world today. While I am excited to see a certain about of sequels and reboots, it is concerning that Hollywood is rehashing old movies. There's so much Hollywood can do and make that, while not entirely original, are based on historical figures and books that have great stories. Personally I would love to see a Harlem Hellfighters movie or a movie based on the Siege of Malta during the Crusades.

Unfortunately original films are a risky investment that can make or break a studio, even if it does well critically. Sequels and reboots are safer bets even if it's a terrible movie. That said, there are original films out there. You just have to look harder.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I'm just happy Back to the Future and Indiana Jones aren't on that list.

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

@TheHighWind said:
@metalman0616 said:

QFT

Quoted for ignorance.

I don't really consider live-action takes on animated films to be remakes as much as reimaginings, so I don't really put them is the same boat. A decent chunk of those, mainly the horror and action films, are films that have been so often imitated and ripped-off that an official remake might be welcomed. Some might be interesting, such as 'Logan's Run' which deviated quite a bit from the novel on which it's based, the biggest being the age of the cased increased. The original novel's concept would fit right in with today's youth market considering all its characters are in their mid to late teens and they're fighting against an oppressive dystopian government system.

I would welcome a new, decently realized, version of 'Red Sonja' and 'Mortal Kombat' considering how crappy both those original films turned out. It also would be nice to get a decent 'Conan' for once, but, like the Fantastic Four, I don't think it's a concept that modern screenplay writers seem to understand so I won't hold my breath. Good luck with that 'Suspiria' or 'Jacob's Ladder' remake guys.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

For a guy such as myself, who considers himself up to date on all things film, I honestly didn't know about several of these! By the way, not trying to sound pretentious when saying that, I'm just saying I tend to read up about almost everything. Crazy though, "The Birds." Not sure how I feel about that...

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@drunk_pi: These remakes/reboots don't bother me. The reason they get made is because they're seen as relatively safe investments, and safe investments like these allow studios to take a risk on "original" stories.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44313 Posts

I don't mind remakes/reboots at all, they can do it to anything as far as I'm concerned. If I like it I'll watch it.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@drunk_pi: These remakes/reboots don't bother me. The reason they get made is because they're seen as relatively safe investments, and safe investments like these allow studios to take a risk on "original" stories.

Exactly. Also just because something is original doesn't mean it's going to be good hence why it's a risky investment.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

At least The Bitch ain't one.

Seriously, can a live action version of an animated series be considered a reboot or remake? Frankly I'm indifferent about remakes, some are terrible but other can be an opportunity to correct an earlier mistake. league of extraordinary gentlemen or master of the universe can potentially be of the latter group. I hope anyways.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

No one's willing to take the risk on an original idea with all that money at stake.

The irony though, is that all these movies they plan on re-making exist only because studios were willing to take that risk of making them in the first place.

People these days don't fear creativity, they fear rejection.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@xdude85 said:

No one's willing to take the risk on an original idea with all that money at stake.

The irony though, is that all these movies they plan on re-making exist only because studios were willing to take that risk of making them in the first place.

People these days don't fear creativity, they fear rejection.

"Original" ideas most certainly are getting made, even by the big studios. Several reasons for this...

1) While the guys running those studios are primarily businessmen, I don't think it's unlikely that many of them actually like movies. After all, if they hated movies then they could have gone into business selling televisions or cows or something. Assuming that they like movies at all, they probably want to make "original" content too simply for enjoyment's sake.

2) You hit on this reason yourself. Original ideas that are successful are ideas that they can run into the ground for the next few decades. Without new and original ideas, they're eventually gonna run out of stuff to remake. They essentially have to make new ideas if they want to continue making remakes and reboots as a safe investment.

3) And also, not everyone is interested in seeing remakes of old stuff. There's enough of a demand for "original" content that failing to do anything new would be leaving a lot of money on the table.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

It should be noted: Conan isn't a "pure reboot". It's being rebooted back to the original, ignoring the reboot-reboot. So technically, it's a de-reboot. If that's a thing.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Reroot?