89th Academy Awards Nominations

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

List of Nominees

Don't usually make threads but I did a quick search through OT and found no one had made a thread about this yet so I figured, why not?

As far as the nominees go it's readily apparent we won't be going through #OscarsSoWhite again as the Academy has taken notice of some of the wonderful performances by non-white actors and actresses this past year. La La Land got nominations in just about everything but foreign film (including 2 for best song) while Silence and Deadpool pretty much universally got the shaft (Silence got one for cinematography). Not that it matters much, as we all know the sublime Hacksaw Ridge will come in and clean up both Best Picture and Director for Mel. And unfortunately it's gonna be a long "In Memoriam" section this year.

Overall there are some weird snubs/inclusions but when is there ever not for the Oscars? Hopefully Kimmel manages to keep things at least watchable all the way through, but I've always found him as one of the driest late night hosts. Thoughts?

Edit- better nominee link provided by @R3FURBISHED

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Just got home from seeing La La Land, it was fantastic! Still have to see a lot more, as I've only seen La La Land, Arrival, and Hell or High Water

This is a better link

EDIT: Has anyone seen Moonlight? I'm thinking about going to see it tomorrow. Just watched the trailer and that was excellent

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

never gave a **** about this

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#4  Edited By nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

Suicide squad nominated for best makeup and hairstyling?

Is that for killer croc? KC should have been cgi.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

La La Land is cool and all but it's not even in the top 5 best films I've seen last year.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

Just got home from seeing La La Land, it was fantastic! Still have to see a lot more, as I've only seen La La Land, Arrival, and Hell or High Water

This is a better link

EDIT: Has anyone seen Moonlight? I'm thinking about going to see it tomorrow. Just watched the trailer and that was excellent

Thanks for the link, I just grabbed the first one I saw. I'll edit it into the OP. I haven't seen Moonlight yet but I'm planning on doing that this weekend, literally heard nothing but great things about it.

@perfect_blue said:

La La Land is cool and all but it's not even in the top 5 best films I've seen last year.

What's your top 5?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@LZ71 said:

Thanks for the link, I just grabbed the first one I saw. I'll edit it into the OP. I haven't seen Moonlight yet but I'm planning on doing that this weekend, literally heard nothing but great things about it.

@perfect_blue said:

What's your top 5?

1. Arrival
2. Moonlight
3. Elle
4. Toni Erdmann
5. Manchester By The Sea

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

I more or less stalk the nominations to gather a list of movies to watch. Beyond that, I guess it's fun to watch the arguments about how Civil War should have won best picture, or how someone can't believe Deadpool wasn't nominated :-P

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

I more or less stalk the nominations to gather a list of movies to watch. Beyond that, I guess it's fun to watch the arguments about how Civil War should have won best picture, or how someone can't believe Deadpool wasn't nominated :-P

People want nominations for the movies they like, I remember seeing posts (somewhere) about how Ewan McGregor should get a Best Actor nod for Revenge of the Sith.