2012 NFL Adrian Peterson Indicted For Beating His Son

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll 2012 NFL Adrian Peterson Indicted For Beating His Son (4 votes)

He Should Get Jail Time 75%
He Should Not Go To Jail, But Be Suspended From The NFL 0%
He Should Not Go To Jail 25%

So...here we are again. Yet another football player in the news for some form of violent act:

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has been indicted for reckless or negligent injury to a child in Montgomery County, Texas, according to Mark Berman of Fox 26 in Houston.

The investigation, which has reportedly been going on for some time, stems from Peterson disciplining a child with a switch, a source told Ian Raport of NFL Network. A switch is a thin branch or rod used for whipping.

In a police report obtained by Sports Radio 610 in Houston, Peterson admitted that he did "whoop" one of his sons last May. According to the report, the four-year old boy returned to Minnesota with lacerations and bruises that prompted his mother to take him to the hospital. The boy then told the doctor that Peterson had lashed him with a tree branch.

More here.

The reason I am making this thread is to ask whether or not you agree that Peterson should face jail time for his actions?

Personally, I think he should (just look at the result in the image below). I am quite baffled by just how many people on Twitter seem to be perfectly fine with this. Many saying we have become too "soft" if this is something that can get you arrested; and others have mentioned that they or their parents used a "switch" to hit their children and find nothing wrong with it.

The most ridiculous aspect of all this? Last year Peterson's son was beaten to death by his ex-girlfriend's boyfriend...

• 
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Thread title was supposed to say "2012 NFL MVP Adiran Peterson..." but I can't seem to edit it. This is why I don't make threads.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

You can't edit polls.

Since this will turn into a "is it alright to hit your kids?" thread let me go first.

I'm not against the ability of parents spanking their kids, but you gotta distinguish between discipline and abuse.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

As for AP, I believe in this case the NFL should let the criminal justice system works its way and then take action depending on the outcome of the legal proceedings.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

AP is a pig, plain and simple. You NEVER hit a child and anybody who does should be locked away and have their rights revoked related to the kid. I had the same happen to me and it only hurt my psychologically, which I still feel to this day. It's child abuse, period. Lock him up and ban him from the NFL forever. Donald Sterling got banned for less.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

AP is a pig, plain and simple. You NEVER hit a child and anybody who does should be locked away and have their rights revoked related to the kid. I had the same happen to me and it only hurt my psychologically, which I still feel to this day. It's child abuse, period. Lock him up and ban him from the NFL forever. Donald Sterling got banned for less.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Master_Live said:

You can't edit polls.

Since this will turn into a "is it alright to hit your kids?" thread let me go first.

I'm not against the ability of parents spanking their kids, but you gotta distinguish between discipline and abuse.

While I'm against spanking, I'm not gonna go so far as to say it should be banned. However, if your spanking leads to hospitalization and a criminal investigation, then you've gone too far. Yes, I think that spanking that results in "bruises and lacerations" should qualify as child abuse.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@TheWalkingGhost said:

And that's going to a completely ridiculous opposite extreme. You might slap your 6 year old son on the butt, and yeah, it's embarassing and humiliating for him. But I tend to think that in most cases, that kid will be less traumatized by a light slap than by being stripped away from the family that he's known for his entire fucking life.

Even the way you worded that is kind of telling: "anybody who does should be locked away and have their rights revoked related to the kid". It almost seems like your interest is in punishing the parents for being bad parents, without any concern for how that's gonna affect the kid. Well, sorry, but I'm more concerned about what's best for the kid, and I have to admit that in a hell of a lot of cases breaking up the family is gonna hurt the kid a lot more than getting a light slap on the butt.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

@TheWalkingGhost said:

lol

yeah ok