2 Modems, 1 House?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BelatedNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BelatedNoob
Member since 2007 • 431 Posts

Hello,

Just a quick question to ask those Internet Junkies out there.

Does anyone know if its possible to run more then 1 Modem in a single household?

Please explain,

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Carl_W21
Member since 2004 • 2021 Posts
you would have to pay for 2 phone lines
BelatedNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BelatedNoob

Im actually not running on DSL.

Im running on Cable, so theres no Phone Lines needed at all. :P

BelatedNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BelatedNoob
bump
-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -starman-
Member since 2008 • 2822 Posts

i'm running on two right now.

the one that i got originally for my PC, and a Wireless one so that I could use the WiFi on my Wii.

they both are operated from the same provider and i don't pay extra. i just bought the second modem, set it up and was good to go. never really thought about it until now.

BelatedNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BelatedNoob

the one that i got originally for my PC, and a Wireless one so that I could use the WiFi on my Wii.

they both are operated from the same provider and i don't pay extra. i just bought the second modem, set it up and was good to go. never really thought about it until now.

-starman-

Are you sure your talking about 2 Modems and not 1 Modem and 1 Router?

-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -starman-
[QUOTE="-starman-"]

BelatedNoob

hmmm, pretty sure, but not positive. both run seperately from each other... the Wireless doesn't plug into the original modem. but i'm not at home right now, so i'm not entirely sure.

jakeboudville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jakeboudville
Member since 2004 • 90576 Posts
If you have/like two phone lines getting paid, yes ..
BelatedNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BelatedNoob
[QUOTE="BelatedNoob"][QUOTE="-starman-"]

-starman-

hmmm, pretty sure, but not positive. both run seperately from each other... the Wireless doesn't plug into the original modem. but i'm not at home right now, so i'm not entirely sure.

Oh ok that pretty well sums it up then

If there not connected to eachother then it cant be a Router.

Are you on Cable as well? And whos your Provider? Like Bell, Rogers, etc?

-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -starman-
[QUOTE="-starman-"][QUOTE="BelatedNoob"][QUOTE="-starman-"]

BelatedNoob

Oh ok that pretty well sums it up then

If there not connected to eachother then it cant be a Router.

Are you on Cable as well? And whos your Provider? Like Bell, Rogers, etc?

there are only two providers in my remote corner of the world... I could either go through my phone company, Telus, or through my Cable Company, which is called Persona. I use Persona, because it's cheaper and because they already had the hookups they needed in my house.

It might technically cost extra to have the second hook up, but i think i got a deal because i bundle so much stuff with them.

BelatedNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BelatedNoob

there are only two providers in my remote corner of the world... I could either go through my phone company, Telus, or through my Cable Company, which is called Persona. I use Persona, because it's cheaper and because they already had the hookups they needed in my house.

It might technically cost extra to have the second hook up, but i think i got a deal because i bundle so much stuff with them.

-starman-

Ok thanks so much for your help.

I think tommorow im going to pickup an extra Modem for my Bedroom.

Im trying to run 2 computers, a Wii, and an Xbox 360 in here...and its hard to run them all on wireless.

Hope it works,
Thanks again.

-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -starman-
[QUOTE="-starman-"]

BelatedNoob

Im trying to run 2 computers, a Wii, and an Xbox 360 in here...and its hard to run them all on wireless.

Hope it works,
Thanks again.

not a problem.

have you called your current provider? they might do things differently, and there may be additional charges, depending on who you're dealing with. they'd be able to give you a definitive answer, rather than a somewhat hypothetical one.

it would be a drag to buy all the hardware and then either not be able to use it, or end up incurring extra charges.

BelatedNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BelatedNoob
[QUOTE="BelatedNoob"][QUOTE="-starman-"]

-starman-

Hope it works,
Thanks again.

not a problem.

have you called your current provider? they might do things differently, and there may be additional charges, depending on who you're dealing with. they'd be able to give you a definitive answer, rather than a somewhat hypothetical one.

it would be a drag to buy all the hardware and then either not be able to use it, or end up incurring extra charges.

Just gave them a call,

There not even sure if it would work themselves. But they rent out Modems anyways for $5.00 a month...really not that bad. lol.

I just dont get how they rent out Modems, and there not even sure if it can be done. However the guy on the phone said to come in tommorow to pickup the stuff, and if it doesnt work, i can return it...free. :)

BelatedNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BelatedNoob
Thanks