10 Reasons to legalise all drugs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Natural_Sinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Natural_Sinner
Member since 2005 • 1612 Posts

10 Reasons to legalise all drugs

1. Address the real issues
For too long policy makers have used prohibition as a smoke screen to avoid addressing the social and economic factors that lead people to use drugs. Most illegal and legal drug use is recreational. Poverty and despair are at the root of most problematic drug use and it is only by addressing these underlying causes that we can hope to significantly decrease the number of problematic users.

2. Eliminate the criminal market place
The market for drugs is demand-led and millions of people demand illegal drugs. Making the production, supply and use of some drugs illegal creates a vacuum into which organised crime moves. The profits are worth billions of pounds. Legalisation forces organised crime from the drugs trade, starves them of income and enables us to regulate and control the market (i.e. prescription, licensing, laws on sales to minors, advertising regulations etc.)

3. Massively reduce crime
The price of illegal drugs is determined by a demand-led, unregulated market. Using illegal drugs is very expensive. This means that some dependent users resort to stealing to raise funds (accounting for 50% of UK property crime - estimated at 2 billion a year). Most of the violence associated with illegal drug dealing is caused by its illegality

Legalisation would enable us to regulate the market, determine a much lower price and remove users need to raise funds through crime. Our legal system would be freed up and our prison population dramatically reduced, saving billions. Because of the low price, cigarette smokers do not have to steal to support their habits. There is also no violence associated with the legal tobacco market.

4. Drug users are a majority
Recent research shows that nearly half of all 15-16 year olds have used an illegal drug. Up to one and a half million people use ecstasy every weekend. Amongst young people, illegal drug use is seen as normal. Intensifying the 'war on drugs' is not reducing demand. In Holland, where cannabis laws are far less harsh, drug usage is amongst the lowest in Europe.

Legalisation accepts that drug use is normal and that it is a social issue, not a criminal justice one. How we deal with it is up to all of us to decide.

In 1970 there were 9000 convictions or cautions for drug offences and 15% of young people had used an illegal drug. In 1995 the figures were 94 000 and 45%. Prohibition doesn't work.

5. Provide access to truthful information and education
A wealth of disinformation about drugs and drug use is given to us by ignorant and prejudiced policy-makers and media who peddle myths upon lies for their own ends. This creates many of the risks and dangers associated with drug use.

Legalisation would help us to disseminate open, honest and truthful information to users and non-users to help them to make decisions about whether and how to use. We could begin research again on presently illicit drugs to discover all their uses and effects - both positive and negative.

6. Make all drug use safer
Prohibition has led to the stigmatisation and marginalisation of drug users. Countries that operate ultra-prohibitionist policies have very high rates of HIV infection amongst injecting users. Hepatitis C rates amongst users in the UK are increasing substantially.

In the UK in the '80's clean needles for injecting users and safer sex education for young people were made available in response to fears of HIV. Harm reduction policies are in direct opposition to prohibitionist laws.

7. Restore our rights and responsibilities
Prohibition unnecessarily criminalises millions of otherwise law-abiding people. It removes the responsibility for distribution of drugs from policy makers and hands it over to unregulated, sometimes violent dealers.

Legalisation restores our right to use drugs responsibly to change the way we think and feel. It enables controls and regulations to be put in place to protect the vulnerable.

8. Race and Drugs
Black people are over ten times more likely to be imprisoned for drug offences than whites. Arrests for drug offences are notoriously discretionary allowing enforcement to easily target a particular ethnic group. Prohibition has fostered this stereotyping of black people.

Legalisation removes a whole set of laws that are used to disproportionately bring black people into contact with the criminal justice system. It would help to redress the over representation of black drug offenders in prison.

9. Global Implications
The illegal drugs market makes up 8% of all world trade (around 300 billion a year). Whole countries are run under the corrupting influence of drug cartels. Prohibition also enables developed countries to wield vast political power over producer nations under the auspices of drug control programmes.

Legalisation returns lost revenue to the legitimate taxed economy and removes some of the high-level corruption. It also removes a tool of political interference by foreign countries against producer nations.

10. Prohibition doesn't work
There is no evidence to show that prohibition is succeeding. The question we must ask ourselves is, "What are the benefits of criminalising any drug?" If, after examining all the available evidence, we find that the costs outweigh the benefits, then we must seek an alternative policy.

Legalisation is not a cure-all but it does allow us to address many of the problems associated with drug use, and those created by prohibition. The time has come for an effective and pragmatic drug policy.

Think about it.

geodisicdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 geodisicdome
Member since 2005 • 13663 Posts
I don't agree that all drugs should be made legal. I've seen the effects that some drugs have and that often isnt something which should be made readily avaliable to young people, or anyone at all. In the past week I have seen people on cocaine, mushrooms, acid, extacy etc. They really can mess with peoples minds.
_dangerman_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 _dangerman_
Member since 2005 • 4067 Posts
I skim read that.

I disagree. There will be serious problems with drug-related diseases & illnesses. The thing is that if you make something legal, you ARE reducing crime, but that's because that thing isn't a crime anymore.

People will use drugs more, purely BECAUSE it is legal and in turn will damage their health.
Natural_Sinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Natural_Sinner
Member since 2005 • 1612 Posts

I skim read that.

I disagree. There will be serious problems with drug-related diseases & illnesses. The thing is that if you make something legal, you ARE reducing crime, but that's because that thing isn't a crime anymore.

People will use drugs more, purely BECAUSE it is legal and in turn will damage their health.
_dangerman_

Don't you notice that educated people don't us as much drugs/ciggarettes as uneducated people?

_dangerman_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 _dangerman_
Don't you notice that educated people don't us as much drugs/ciggarettes as uneducated people?Natural_Sinner

Most people are relatively uneducated.

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

They are legal, or at least thats what the guy that gives them to me says. :P

_Goliath_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 _Goliath_
Member since 2004 • 12845 Posts
Drugs are for the weak minded
_dangerman_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 _dangerman_
Drugs are for the weak minded_Goliath_
word btw -- your avatar happens to be very appropriate for this post. Looks cool too.
Mu5uk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mu5uk0
Member since 2005 • 19144 Posts
Legalise all illegal drugs? No. Legalise some illegal drugs? Yes.
spacewars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 spacewars
Member since 2004 • 16610 Posts
So let's legalise heroin? The only drugs that should be legalised are ecstasy, marijuana, and LSD
karlgauci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 karlgauci
Member since 2005 • 5504 Posts
that will cause an increase in crime. and a boom in deaths
laraza7682300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 laraza7682300
Member since 2006 • 8686 Posts
I agree 100%.
_dangerman_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 _dangerman_
that will cause an increase in crime. and a boom in deathskarlgauci
Well, not increase crime. it will decrease it, as what was a crime before, wouldn't be now. But I know what you mean. What is a crime NOW will happen more.
Codename33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Codename33
Member since 2005 • 2719 Posts
Okay, we can legalize all drugs. It'll bring us one step closer to killing the nation! Yay!
Codename33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Codename33
Member since 2005 • 2719 Posts

[QUOTE="karlgauci"]that will cause an increase in crime. and a boom in deaths_dangerman_
Well, not increase crime. it will decrease it, as what was a crime before, wouldn't be now. But I know what you mean. What is a crime NOW will happen more.

Well, it'll have a decrease of crime for the WRONG reasons. I mean, everyone would be able to get drugs 10 times worse than cigarettes at their local convenience store. Imagine.... "SALE ON HEROINE AND MARIJUANA: $5 PER". Now anyone can just go in and buy it. And if you're legalizing the drugs, why not take out the age limit also? Now, any 5 year old with milk money can go in and ruin their lives with crack.

marcocat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16 marcocat
Member since 2002 • 16132 Posts
I hope he's joking.
Rageaholic01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rageaholic01
Member since 2005 • 3458 Posts
drugs ruin lives but for medicinal purposes maybe
Mr_sprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mr_sprinkles
Member since 2005 • 6461 Posts
somking can seriously damage your health, and even kill you, as can alcahol. Why are the government allowing people to seriously damage their health by keeping these things legal?
_dangerman_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 _dangerman_

[QUOTE="_dangerman_"][QUOTE="karlgauci"]that will cause an increase in crime. and a boom in deathsCodename33

Well, it'll have a decrease of crime for the WRONG reasons. I mean, everyone would be able to get drugs 10 times worse than cigarettes at their local convenience store. Imagine.... "SALE ON HEROINE AND MARIJUANA: $5 PER". Now anyone can just go in and buy it. And if you're legalizing the drugs, why not take out the age limit also? Now, any 5 year old with milk money can go in and ruin their lives with crack.

Yeah, that's what I mean - 'for wrong reasons'. btw -- I'm not supporting legalising illegal drugs.
Total-KO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Total-KO
Member since 2006 • 4057 Posts
Drugs are illegal for a reason. I say don't legalise them, it'll only increase use.
b4r3nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 b4r3nd
Member since 2005 • 742 Posts
[QUOTE="geodisicdome"]I don't agree that all drugs should be made legal. I've seen the effects that some drugs have and that often isnt something which should be made readily avaliable to young people, or anyone at all. In the past week I have seen people on cocaine, mushrooms, acid, extacy etc. They really can mess with peoples minds.

they mess with you mind for a few hours. then everything changes back, you can't be enslaved to mushrooms because it only works once in 3 months. so it can only be used as a recreational(spelling?:S) drugs. so why not legalise it (it's legal here btw...)
Avatar image for Splintersixcell
Splintersixcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Splintersixcell
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts
mommy, mommy can I have 5 dollars..... *mommy*here you go ....... *kid*to the seven eleven I go........ can I have some marijuana  ..... tank you .....*coughcough*..... me HAPPY everything is SpINing, stuff turniNG...... wOw its toy'r U...... wow tOy guns, COld,hARd,heaVy......Wat dis MagnuM...... wow goLd SHARp thIng mybe it goes here *clanks*......... cAt, me WeT cat *boom*.....postman, me wet postman ..........  
Avatar image for SQUIRREL_LEGEND
SQUIRREL_LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 SQUIRREL_LEGEND
Member since 2005 • 1037 Posts
Legalise all illegal drugs? No. Legalise some illegal drugs? Yes.
Mu5uk0

right on brother..8)
Chad54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chad54
Member since 2006 • 61 Posts

wow that's the dumbest thing I ever heard

please dont think ever again

SQUIRREL_LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SQUIRREL_LEGEND
mommy, mommy can I have 5 dollars..... *mommy*here you go ....... *kid*to the seven eleven I go........ can I have some marijuana  ..... tank you .....*coughcough*..... me HAPPY everything is SpINing, stuff turniNG...... wOw its toy'r U...... wow tOy guns, COld,hARd,heaVy......Wat dis MagnuM...... wow goLd SHARp thIng mybe it goes here *clanks*......... cAt, me WeT cat *boom*.....postman, me wet postman ..........   Splintersixcell

thats not marijuana....amrijuana makes you hungry and sleeping
enjoi_your_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 enjoi_your_day
Member since 2005 • 2453 Posts
Marijuana, yes.  Practically everything else, no.  Their is a big reason why coke dealers don't do coke,..... and its not because they don't like it.
SQUIRREL_LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SQUIRREL_LEGEND

wow that's the dumbest thing I ever heard

please dont think ever again

Chad54
who's?
SQUIRREL_LEGEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SQUIRREL_LEGEND
[QUOTE="enjoi_your_day"]Marijuana, yes.  Practically everything else, no.  Their is a big reason why coke dealers don't do coke,..... and its not because they don't like it.

yups
Varese_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Varese_basic
Member since 2002 • 6785 Posts
yea America has its sexy factories and gangster star factories because of supply and demand but they don't want drug factories, wait they have drug factories its called beer!
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
Legalise the harmless drugs.... okay. But are you honestly in favour of letting anyone walk into a store and pick up some ectasy pills? Don't be silly. :|
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
I work next to a liquor store, and it's a magnet for all kinds of drunken scumbags. I'd hate to see what kind of people start hanging around if the store were to start selling PCP.
2FacedJanus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 2FacedJanus
Member since 2004 • 8236 Posts
Look nice you put out the netherlands there. Basically yes, cannabis and stuff is allright here, but only because our country made a difference between hard & soft drugs by law. Basically, Harddrugs are mentally & physically addictive while softdrugs is only mentally addictive. Softdrugs are allowed, that's why cannabis is allowed. It's been allowed to smoke pot for over thirty years, I think that proves your country won't turn into a pit of hell because you allow people to smoke pot. What is interesting though is that places where hasjbars are placed, the harddrugs usage goes down significantly.
Greatgone12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Greatgone12
Member since 2005 • 25469 Posts
Yeah, let's go make crack legal. Then we'll all get high. :roll:
redmark123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 redmark123
Member since 2006 • 2065 Posts
marijauna and maybe shrooms and acid but there has to be a line i dont exactly think they should start selling heroin needles at the corner shop
SUPERheroes_DP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 SUPERheroes_DP
Member since 2005 • 1485 Posts

Say NO to drugs!

fatjack04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 fatjack04
Member since 2005 • 2250 Posts
pothead. drug users aren't a majority half of 15-16 year olds, 45% of teens ELEVEN years ago, and 1.5 million casual ecstasy users isn't majority much less people do drugs now.

[QUOTE="_dangerman_"]I skim read that.

Natural_Sinner

Don't you notice that educated people don't us as much drugs/ciggarettes as uneducated people?

QFT
slimdog360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 slimdog360
Member since 2006 • 868 Posts
ur an idiot * 10
Avatar image for deactivated-60a3c754d0a16
deactivated-60a3c754d0a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 deactivated-60a3c754d0a16
Member since 2002 • 9782 Posts

Many of the original poster's statements have a strong fact base and people have been making these same arguments for years. In contrast, many of the counter arguments I've read in this thread are ridiculously short sighted.

There are no easy answers in this debate, and pretending that there are isn’t going to help anyone. But all you need to do is look at the numbers to know that the way we’re currently managing the drug problem isn’t working. And please don’t enter the debate under the impression that our drugs laws are well thought out. Read up on the history of drug legislation and you’ll see some surprising trends and many ridiculous conclusions. When it comes down to the facts there really is no rhyme or reason to our drug laws.

Do you think that illegal drugs cause more illness, crime and fatalities then legal drugs? Do you think they ruin more lives? If so you are incorrect. Alcohol alone trumps all other drugs together when it comes to its association with crime, and both alcohol and tobacco kill FAR FAR more people. This is true even when you even out the ratio of users. But no, it’s not just tobacco and alcohol. Prescription drugs cause a VAST number of similar issues every year as well.

Do I have a 100% accurate answer to the drug problem? No. Should we continue to funnel $$$ into a broken system without considering other options and doing some major research? No.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-60a3c754d0a16

Here are some interesting facts for inquiring minds…

Presented by a study at Columbia University – alcohol is associated with more violent crime than any illegal drug. 21% of violent felons in state prisons committed their crimes while under the influence of alcohol alone. Only 3% were high on crack or powdered cocaine, and only 1% were using heroine alone. Obviously marijuana doesn’t even make this list.

The overall U.S. incarceration rate is six times that of its nearest Western competitor.

The U.S. NON-VIOLENT prison population is larger than the combined populations of Wyoming and Alaska.

Assuming recent incarceration rates remain unchanged 1 in 20 Americans can be expected to serve jail time. For African Americans that number is greater than 1 in 4.

While we’re on the subject of race, 3 in 10 black men will be disenfranchised at some point during their lifetime. What do you think this does to their voting power on the whole?

Regardless of similar or equal levels of illicit drug use during pregnancy, black women are 10 times more likely than white women to be reported to child welfare agencies for prenatal drug use.

Due to harsh policies such as “three strikes and you’re out”, a disproportionate number of young black and Hispanic men are likely to be imprisoned for life under scenarios in which they are guilty of little more than a history of untreated addiction and several prior drug-related offenses. States will absorb the staggering costs of this decision.

Since the enactment of mandatory minimum sentencing for drug users, the Federal Bureau of Prisons budget increased by more than 1,350% (note, this was a 1997 study, that number is even higher today).

The war on drugs is highly flawed, unjustly leveraged on some races more than others, and in the end we’re all paying the price.

Feyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Feyre
Member since 2006 • 9631 Posts
drugs need to be legalised if we ever hope to achieve an anarcho-communist society.
maheo30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 maheo30
Member since 2006 • 5102 Posts
I'm thinking about the various ways to call you a MORON. Legalize drugs? :? Are you insane? You used Holland as an example. It is also a misdemeanor to rape a child in Holland. We going to do that to? Switzerland legalized drugs and it was an utter disaster. Needles in the street. And despite the legalization of drugs crime went WAY up. even ecstasy is immensely dangerous cause it raises your core temp way beyond what it can take. The brains of prolonged X users literally look like swiss cheese with parts of their brains eaten away from the high temp. Only a lack of brain power will make someone think it is ok to legalize drugs. 
Feyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Feyre
Member since 2006 • 9631 Posts
[QUOTE="maheo30"]I'm thinking about the various ways to call you a MORON. Legalize drugs? :? Are you insane? You used Holland as an example. It is also a misdemeanor to rape a child in Holland. We going to do that to? Switzerland legalized drugs and it was an utter disaster. Needles in the street. And despite the legalization of drugs crime went WAY up. even ecstasy is immensely dangerous cause it raises your core temp way beyond what it can take. The brains of prolonged X users literally look like swiss cheese with parts of their brains eaten away from the high temp. Only a lack of brain power will make someone think it is ok to legalize drugs.

sounds like you've been tasting the mushrooms
maheo30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 maheo30
Member since 2006 • 5102 Posts
Well in Denmark there is a waiting list. You rape a child you go on a waiting list that at the moment is 5 years long. They don't go to jail either. 5 years later they are supposedly arrested but less than 15% actually are. In many european countries it isn't even a crime to rape a child. The gov't turns their heads cause it is such a massive industry. Just cause you don't believe it doesn't make it untrue. Dateline, Bill O'Reilly, CNN have done many seg's on the topic. And it isn't hard to research.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-60a3c754d0a16

Well in Denmark there is a waiting list. You rape a child you go on a waiting list that at the moment is 5 years long. They don't go to jail either. 5 years later they are supposedly arrested but less than 15% actually are. In many european countries it isn't even a crime to rape a child. The gov't turns their heads cause it is such a massive industry. Just cause you don't believe it doesn't make it untrue. Dateline, Bill O'Reilly, CNN have done many seg's on the topic. And it isn't hard to research. maheo30

True of not it was a "stupid" argument to use in your previous post. What does that have to do with the drug climate in Holland and the original poster's position on the legalization of drugs?

Personally, I too think legalization is a mistake, but as you'll see from my previous posts I also think the current war on drugs in the United States is the causes more problems than it prevents, and by the numbers it high time for drug reform (no pun intended).

mariomaniac92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mariomaniac92
Member since 2006 • 5482 Posts
XD Let's not listen to people with reasons like this.
Zagrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 Zagrius
Member since 2002 • 3820 Posts
The reason alcohol-related crime is higher than drug-related crime is that alcohol is legal, and so available for a wider audience. The reason alcohol and cigar smoking are legal, in my opinion, is that by the time their negative effects were revealed it was just too late (alcohol is almost as ancient as civilization, after all). Why make the same mistake with other harmful substances?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-60a3c754d0a16

The reason alcohol-related crime is higher than drug-related crime is that alcohol is legal, and so available for a wider audience. Zagrius

The numbers don't support that claim - at least not for the majority of illicit drugs. Yours is an easy conclusion to come to based on anecdotal evidence but it's just not the case. Its one of those things that “makes sense” when we conceptualize it but doesn’t work out on paper.

Zagrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 Zagrius
Member since 2002 • 3820 Posts
What numbers? Give me numbers to look at. Just saying "I've got numbers" doesn't mean anything. And how do you know that your numbers aren't heavily affected by one thing being legal and the other being illegal? Are more people under the effects of drugs than alcohol? I'm pretty sure that 1.5 million people taking ecstasy doesn't even come close to comparing with the billions who drink alcohol every day.
withouthatred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 withouthatred
Member since 2006 • 6407 Posts
I skim read that.

_dangerman_
In countrys where drugs are legalized, use often drops by over half.....