1.1 Million Petition Brazil To Give Snowden Asylum.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

1.1 million petition Brazil to give Snowden asylum.

A petition with more than a million signatures was submitted to the Brazilian government on Thursday urging President Dilma Rousseff to grant asylum to Edward Snowden.

Snowden, now in Russia, asked Brazil for asylum in December in an open letter to its citizens.

His call was taken up by Avaaz, an international campaigning group that launched the petition in December and has since collected more than 1.1 million signatures.

"The Brazilian government had said it required a formal request from Snowden to grant asylum. Today, more than a million people have done what Snowden cannot and presented this request in his name," Avaaz director Ricken Patel told Agence France-Presse in a statement.

In exchange for asylum, Snowden offered to aid Brazil in investigating the National Security Agency’s surveillance operations in their country. Glenn Greenwald, the journalist who obtained and reported on the first document Snowden leaked, lives in Brazil.

The European Union also considered granting Snowden asylum this week. Members of the EU parliament debated an amendment to a report this week that would have required EU nations to provide protection to Snowden. A parliamentary committee, however, voted against the amendment on Wednesday.

Snowden’s temporary asylum status in Russia expires at the end of July. One Russian official recently hinted his protection could be extended.

--------------------------------------------------

Come home, Snowden.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I hope they grant it to him.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Please do, it will be easier for us to find him and execute his traitor ass if he is in this hemisphere. Sad what people consider a hero these days.

My favorite quote on this....Enemies who not only wish us harm but actively plot it won't be deterred by libertarian pieties.

I say this as a moderate libertarian myself, there must be balance in all things. If I asked you "would you mind if we record, not listen to, but record all of your phone conversations as a bulk collection in orders to save 3,000 people from the next major terrorist attack" you would say no? Seriously? Or is your issue with this they did not ask your permission? Well damn, let them all die then right?

What a great American you are! Hope your family is in that group....

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Why is it that only Snowden is able to ask a country for asylum without even being present in that said country? I wish I could do the same thing :(

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#5 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

To be honest..... it's hard for me to call this guy a traitor.

He exposed some pretty foul shit.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Master_Live

@Kevlar101 said:

To be honest..... it's hard for me to call this guy a traitor.

He exposed some pretty foul shit.

He also revealed spying on others foreign leaders, which is completely Constitutional and which hurt US relationships with some countries. He did some good and some bad.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#7  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@vfibsux said:

Please do, it will be easier for us to find him and execute his traitor ass if he is in this hemisphere. Sad what people consider a hero these days.

My favorite quote on this....Enemies who not only wish us harm but actively plot it won't be deterred by libertarian pieties.

I say this as a moderate libertarian myself, there must be balance in all things. If I asked you "would you mind if we record, not listen to, but record all of your phone conversations as a bulk collection in orders to save 3,000 people from the next major terrorist attack" you would say no? Seriously? Or is your issue with this they did not ask your permission? Well damn, let them all die then right?

You seem pretty ignorant.

I am fine with moderate "spying" on U.S. citizens.

Problem is, the NSA was also spying on government leaders across Europe and I think South America as well.

To me, that should be considered an international crime. It's fine if you are spying on your own country.....but spying on OTHER countries without their permission or consent? or even their KNOWLEDGE? That's bullshit.

And btw.....you are being unnecessarily brutal, sir. "Hope your family is in that group...." ..who says that?? That's why nobody likes you damn Libertarians. You guys are flipping nuts.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I hope he's executed

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Don't really care what happens to him since it's annoying that people hold the guy up as some deity when all he did was copy some files to a USB and sent it to London.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

@vfibsux said:

If people give in to more "security measures", the government will just push an even stricter policy down the road, knowing that the people will budge.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

As long as Snowden keeps his mouth shut for now on I could care less what he does from this point on. So many people worship him the US government can't really touch him without a major outcry.

At the same time, while people parade him as a hero for the NSA leaks I'm sure the families of the people who were fired and/or disciplined because they allowed him to capture their passwords he used to get his info don't think too highly of him.

For our sake, I hope some al Qaeda terrorist doesn't kidnap him because if they do they will torture him until he tells them everything he knows. The NSA programs was only a small fraction of what he took.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch

@Aljosa23 said:

Don't really care what happens to him since it's annoying that people hold the guy up as some deity when all he did was copy some files to a USB and sent it to London.

he also cost U.S. companies something along the lines of 25 billion dollars. Private companies that provide well paying jobs will have to cut workers

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I hope our next president pardons him and allows him to return home, but I don't see that happening.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

The man is a hero. I'm sad to see USA being the evil darth vader type while Snowden is like luke or hans.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vfibsux

@Kevlar101 said:

@vfibsux said:

You seem pretty ignorant.

I am fine with moderate "spying" on U.S. citizens.

Problem is, the NSA was also spying on government leaders across Europe and I think South America as well.

To me, that should be considered an international crime. It's fine if you are spying on your own country.....but spying on OTHER countries without their permission or consent? or even their KNOWLEDGE? That's bullshit.

And btw.....you are being unnecessarily brutal, sir. "Hope your family is in that group...." ..who says that?? That's why nobody likes you damn Libertarians. You guys are flipping nuts.

No actually I am not, you however certainly are. Do you really think other countries are not spying on us? Seriously? This is pretty freaking laughable. We do nothing to others that is not being done to us, EVERYONE spies on each other, even allies. All of these countries expressing "outrage" know they do it too.

Even your awesome country Brazil admitted to spying on the US lol http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/world/americas/brazil-acknowledges-spying-on-diplomats-from-us.html?_r=0

And how am I brutal? For being willing to give up some petty rights to save American lives? I guess you did not get my point here, which after reading your entire post is no surprise.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 vfibsux

@one_plum said:

@vfibsux said:

If people give in to more "security measures", the government will just push an even stricter policy down the road, knowing that the people will budge.

Oh noes!! The slippery slope!

Seriously, Americans these days are freaking selfish as hell. No one cares what you are talking about dude, seriously. They mass collect, they do not mass exploit and analyze. Look up the intelligence cycle, they stop at collection. This is no different than a video camera at 7-11, no one gives a shit what drink you bought when you stopped in or how many creamers you put in your coffee. The cameras are there in case the place gets robbed so they can cue up the time and see who did it. This is how the NSA is using our data. They are not listening to gazillions of conversations about what flavored ice cream your wife likes or what your mother puts in her meatloaf. Get over yourselves, no one cares about your phone calls! They mass collect to get the phone calls they DO need to stop people from killing you.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Master_Live

I don't support support the mass collection of data. They do it this way because we let them. Now they say it is necessary, that it can't be done any other way, they don't look for other ways because they aren't force to. Necessity is the mother of invention. You shouting about the 3,000 dead don't change anything, there are worst things than death. *insert Franklin quote*

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

Ron Paul started a petition too.
https://campaign.ronpaulchannel.com/snowden/petition/

Seems that the mass population don't like the idea of being suspects in a perpetual criminal investigation. *shrugs* Go figure.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By one_plum

@vfibsux said:

@one_plum said:

Seriously, Americans these days are freaking selfish as hell. No one cares what you are talking about dude, seriously. They mass collect, they do not mass exploit and analyze. Look up the intelligence cycle, they stop at collection. This is no different than a video camera at 7-11, no one gives a shit what drink you bought when you stopped in or how many creamers you put in your coffee. The cameras are there in case the place gets robbed so they can cue up the time and see who did it. This is how the NSA is using our data. They are not listening to gazillions of conversations about what flavored ice cream your wife likes or what your mother puts in her meatloaf. Get over yourselves, no one cares about your phone calls! They mass collect to get the phone calls they DO need to stop people from killing you.

And how would you know what the NSA does with the information? That's a lot of power for one organization to have. You're telling me a human being or an organization with all that power would absolutely not abuse it in any way at some point? Your comment about selfishness is laughable: One could argue that your stance is also selfish rather than noble just like how you're perceiving the people who don't see things your way.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#20 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Meh I wish he can be free to live his life and go wherever he wants. After what he did which ultimately destroy his freedom and exposed our country's shady works I doubt it but I do thank him for what he's done.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

@GazaAli said:

Why is it that only Snowden is able to ask a country for asylum without even being present in that said country? I wish I could do the same thing :(

lol exactly my thought. fvck Snowden. he's just a random dude to Brazilians, why don't they "take up" our call and submit a petition for us?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@VaguelyTagged said:

@GazaAli said:

lol exactly my thought. fvck Snowden. he's just a random dude to Brazilians, why don't they "take up" our call and submit a petition for us?

The world is unjust and hypocritical even in its philanthropy and benevolence.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vfibsux

@Master_Live said:

I don't support support the mass collection of data. They do it this way because we let them. Now they say it is necessary, that it can't be done any other way, they don't look for other ways because they aren't force to. Necessity is the mother of invention. You shouting about the 3,000 dead don't change anything, there are worst things than death. *insert Franklin quote*

You are video taped everywhere you go in case something happens, what is the difference here? No one is watching the video tape of you getting your coffee at 7-11. Just like no one is listening to Master_Live's phone conversations unless Master_Live is talking to a suspected terrorist. Collection does not equal exploitation.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

@VaguelyTagged said:

@GazaAli said:

Snowden is far from being just some random dude to the Brazilian people. His leaks revealed, among other things, that 98 percent of all data from Latin America telecoms passes through the US. The United States collected data on billions of telephone and email conversations from Brazil alone.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vfibsux

@one_plum said:

@vfibsux said:

@one_plum said:

And how would you know what the NSA does with the information? That's a lot of power for one organization to have. You're telling me a human being or an organization with all that power would absolutely not abuse it in any way at some point? Your comment about selfishness is laughable: One could argue that your stance is also selfish rather than noble just like how you're perceiving the people who don't see things your way.

Let's say I don't know and that I have some freaking common sense. Do you really think the NSA has time to listen to one_plum's phone conversations? Are you an al qaeda operative? Are you a threat to national security? The intelligence community is on YOUR side, Americans are just too paranoid and conspiracy nutty to realize this. No one cares about you or your phone conversations, your phone calls are recorded along with everyone else's so they can go in and pick out what they need when they need it. If you never speak to someone that is a threat to national security...they will NEVER need it. Amazing concept! It is a practical application and a little common sense would calm any paranoid delusions you have. There are rules and laws followed to the T in the intelligence community, you will always have those rogue rulebreakers (like Snowden ironically) who abuse it, as with all things. But as a rule the laws and rules are strict and they are followed en masse.

You can call me what you like, however I have dedicated my professional life to protecting this country from those who would harm it, and from those like you who simply don't know better. You and those like you have no idea the fire you are playing with by demanding these practices stop. Snowden put this country's national security in grave risk and you people call him a hero because you are ignorant to the facts and let your paranoia take over your common sense.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@vfibsux: In a way, people look at the NSA like they look at the TSA. Both prevent a lot of threats but because nobody sees the threats they stop on a regular basis, incompetent employees, and the few threats that do slip through the cracks people say they are useless and are an invasion of privacy.

In all reality, while people talk about an invasion of privacy, people don't have to deal with either: You don't want to be searched by the TSA then don't fly on planes and if you don't want to risk having your phone or internet traffic possibly flagged by the NSA then don't use the internet or cell phones.

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

@vfibsux: He is not a traitor dumb ass. Your EU Banking Cartel owned government is full of traitors with currently Obamanoid in charge. He is spilling secret that involve better future for you and the freedom in America and what it once stood for. Are you blind, the whole country is being sold to foreign corporations and banks. its becoming a Police state. Dont even get me started on that Obamacare FRAUD.

Did you see footage of that new city made for US military training of taking over US cities.

watch?v=IsQg-z0tZNQ

How can people be this fucking dumb.

"Peace Trough Superior Firepower" .... thats so fucking stupid. its beyond me, are you that brainwashed by your mainstream media.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 one_plum

@vfibsux said:

@one_plum said:

Let's say I don't know and that I have some freaking common sense. Do you really think the NSA has time to listen to one_plum's phone conversations? Are you an al qaeda operative? Are you a threat to national security? The intelligence community is on YOUR side, Americans are just too paranoid and conspiracy nutty to realize this. No one cares about you or your phone conversations, your phone calls are recorded along with everyone else's so they can go in and pick out what they need when they need it. If you never speak to someone that is a threat to national security...they will NEVER need it. Amazing concept! It is a practical application and a little common sense would calm any paranoid delusions you have. There are rules and laws followed to the T in the intelligence community, you will always have those rogue rulebreakers (like Snowden ironically) who abuse it, as with all things. But as a rule the laws and rules are strict and they are followed en masse.

You can call me what you like, however I have dedicated my professional life to protecting this country from those who would harm it, and from those like you who simply don't know better. You and those like you have no idea the fire you are playing with by demanding these practices stop. Snowden put this country's national security in grave risk and you people call him a hero because you are ignorant to the facts and let your paranoia take over your common sense.

If I were to be honest, the reasoning behind the spying is not completely out of merit, but the American government has nothing to keep its power in check, and here lies the danger. The "pro-security" as well as the "anti-security" group only see this from a black and white perspective. We've heard about those "conspiracy theory nutjobs" name-calling, but on the other end of the spectrum, you have those who believe the American government is some kind of a God-given incorruptible force of good with a mission to cleanse the world of all evil.They're not above doing messed up things to achieve their goals, but they always have their excuse, and there are some people who defend those actions no matter what.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Master_Live

If anyone doubts Snowden has hurt the US abroad:

Germany, France seek to bypass US networks

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@vfibsux said:

Good intentions should squash the Constitution? Please explain to me how recording calls and data w/o a warrant is not a violation of the 4th Amendment.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Maybe one day americans will unplug from the blind nationalism many have been taught and realize they aren't in the right this time. I think WW2 gave people too much confidence in this country. All countries want to spy, and the US is the king, because it reaches globally and everyone else is at the mercy of it. Snowden himself doesn't matter at this point, he's not the one releasing the info, he gave all of it away to be released over time slowly so people don't forget about it.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Master_Live

@wis3boi said:

@Master_Live said:

Maybe one day americans will unplug from the blind nationalism many have been taught and realize they aren't in the right this time.

Right how?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Master_Live said:

@wis3boi said:

@Master_Live said:

Maybe one day americans will unplug from the blind nationalism many have been taught and realize they aren't in the right this time.

Right how?

That the government is doing things in their interests and for the betterment of the global population. it very much is the opposite

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Master_Live

@wis3boi said:

@Master_Live said:

@wis3boi said:

@Master_Live said:

Right how?

That the government is doing things in their interests and for the betterment of the global population. it very much is the opposite

The US government does what it does in the best interest of the United States, anyone who thought differently is simply ignorant. Outside of the US I don't care who they spy on, everyone does it. Inside the borders you should get a warrant and then you start collecting data.

_Colossus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 _Colossus_
Member since 2004 • 1704 Posts

Good for him. This current surveillance dystopia needed to be revealed. It's nothing but an abomination to our liberties. Those few who wish to destroy our way of living will always attempt to attack us, and succeed with their actions at times, but they will never win. Ultimately mass surveillance will not stop this from happening. However, mass surveillance will ultimately tempt the human soul into paths we do not wish to go. We cannot allow governments to play with this kind of fire.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MakeMeaSammitch

@_Colossus_ said:

Good for him. This current surveillance dystopia needed to be revealed. It's nothing but an abomination to our liberties. Those few who wish to destroy our way of living will always attempt to attack us, and succeed with their actions at times, but they will never win. Ultimately mass surveillance will not stop this from happening. However, mass surveillance will ultimately tempt the human soul into paths we do not wish to go. We cannot allow governments to play with this kind of fire.

would u like a tin foil hat?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Master_Live
Loading Video...

I'm glad Senator Wyden agrees with me. Hopefully when push comes to shove Rand Paul, Wyden and the like don't back down.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
@vfibsux said:

Keep bending voer for Uncle Sam there, buddy. Should be easy with no backbone. Keep choosing security over freedom and watch as your nation becomes akin to those depicted in 1984. Sooner or later the government will start looking for terrorists in its own backyard and the word "terrorist" will be applied ever so loosely.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hexagon_777
@vfibsux said:

@one_plum said:

@vfibsux said:

By golly are you ignorant. That's the same old "You Have Nothing to Hide, You Have Nothing to Fear" nonsense.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Hexagon_777
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@_Colossus_ said:

would u like a tin foil hat?

I would say that at this point you would need to be the one wearing a tin foil hat if you believe otherwise.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Hexagon_777
@Master_Live said:

When you get caught taking a dump on someone else's front doorstep, it usually does hurt your relationship with the owner of that front doorstep. Better not take a dump there next time!

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By vfibsux

@V3rciS said:

@vfibsux said:

I feel sorry for your stupid ass and only can hope you were trolling, but judging by your idiotic avatar I think you were damn serious about it.

Thank you for your concern. Now go hug a tree.

Oh and that avatar kept the two superpowers of the 20th century from going to war over a span of 5 decades, saved countless millions of lives. Think more, talk less.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By vfibsux

@Hexagon_777 said:
@vfibsux said:

@one_plum said:

@vfibsux said:

By golly are you ignorant. That's the same old "You Have Nothing to Hide, You Have Nothing to Fear" nonsense.

It amazes me how people throw the word ignorant around when they clearly do not understand what it means. I gave clear, concise, and rational reasons as to why I feel the way I do. You cannot simply disagree without calling someone ignorant? You obviously do not even know what the word means because you would have to know my education and career field before calling me ignorant. What if I work at the NSA? How stupid does that make you?

And I don't bend over for Uncle Sam, I serve with pride because I believe in what this country is doing. It is sad we have to save you from yourselves, but I guess I rather have you paranoid of us than I would being blown up by a terrorist.

Lastly....who the **** says "by golly" in 2014?