Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts

scaled.php?server=443&filename=macmillerscaled.php?server=4&filename=lordfinesse

Mac Miller - "Kool Aid & Frozen Pizza"

Lord Finesse - "Hip 2 Da Game"

Lord Finesse is suing Mac Miller for $10 million for using the "Hip 2 Da Game" instrumental on his K.I.D.S mixtape. The mixtape was released for free but Finesse is suing due to Mac Miller profiting from it via youtube ad revenue and live performances.

I don't get why Finesse would sue him when he built his own career on uncleared samples. And he didn't even clear the OG sample when he used it on the Awakening. So the chances of this even making it to court seem slim.

But at the same time just because you used an uncleared sample, does that give someone the right to do whatever they want with your music? Can I just take any Gang Starr beat and throw it on my album since Premo didn't clear the sample? Does copyright law still protect music that has uncleared and illegal samples? (assuming Ahmad Jamal, James Brown's estate, and all the other OG's don't mind)

And the possible ramifications of something like this are huge. No more rhyming over other people's beats on mixtapes. No more remixing another rapper's vocal tracks.

Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Colt45fool
Member since 2003 • 79297 Posts

Copyright law protects Mac and completely screws over Finesse. This is actually a dumb move by him. I took a law class a while back and while Mac should be in the clear for no substantial profits (I mean, unless it can be proven that he is profiting off of Youtube, which I'm unaware of) Finesse and all other producers that think suing guys like Mac Miller is OK are ****ing dumb.

I bet Mac Miller's lawyers laughed at this when the guy came by saying he'd been served

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts
Suing him for using a beat with an uncleared sample.....yeah. good luck with that. Between the whole Lupe vs Pete Rock situation and now this anyone think we've seen the last of these situations?
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts
Yeah, this is pretty silly.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#5 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Lord Finesse has been a bum for a while now. Guess he wanted to show people he's still relevant lol. SMH.
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
Mac Miller should be able to be sued for even attempting to rhyme over that beat, to be honest. He's probly the worst popular rapper in the game. So awful.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Toriko42

Mac Miller is probs the most popular rapper I never knew / realized was popular.

Who the **** listens to this kid? Who's buying his albums? I never hear about anything he does.

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts

Mac Miller is probs the most popular rapper I never knew / realized was popular.

Who the **** listens to this kid? Who's buying his albums? I never hear about anything he does.

Toriko42
He has fans, He was the first independant artist in more then 10 years to land #1 on Billboard....I really don't see the hype though.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Who the **** listens to this kid? Who's buying his albums?

Toriko42

brah.

elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 elpooz
Member since 2005 • 5883 Posts

[QUOTE="Toriko42"]

JML897

brah.

One of the many reasons I ****ing hate frat boys.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
He's so godamn ugly too. He's one of those dudes that you can tell is from a stinkhole like Pittsburgh. He has SO many fans in Pennsylvania it's ridiculous.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Toriko42

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="Toriko42"]

elpooz

brah.

One of the many reasons I ****ing hate frat boys.

Haha damn you Pooz I am a frat boy. We're not all like that.
Balimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Balimi
Member since 2007 • 1599 Posts
Finesse deserves something, rappers make a good bit of money on mix tapes like this and Mac picked the wrong beat
a_ratchet_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 a_ratchet_fan
Member since 2006 • 2207 Posts
Unless LF never released a 12" single with the instrumental on the b-side - in which case he probably made some money off of the instrumental itself already - where is the argument for Mac Miller detracting from LF's revenue? The only argument LF can make is that when the generation of kids who made Mac Miller famous went to look for the instrumental for the song they probably googled or youtubed "Mac Miller - Kool Aid & Frozen Pizza (Instrumental)" instead of "Lord Finesse - Hip 2 Da Game (Instrumental)"... is MM supposed to be faulted for a generational gap? Is anybody who takes music from the past and makes it relevant to a new generation supposed to be at fault? *cough* Lord Finesse's entire career *cough*
andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
maybe Lord Finesse is broke now and needs the money, saw him selling one of his MPC's on ebay a year back
Avatar image for SuperSaiyanLink
SuperSaiyanLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SuperSaiyanLink
Member since 2003 • 19542 Posts

Finessee embarrassing himself and Mac's been dealing with this like a professional. All the suburban white kids trashing on Finessees classic **** on youtube is pretty sad tho.