nirvana563

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 nirvana563
Member since 2005 • 2913 Posts

I was thinking and noticed people have different ways of defining "old school" hip hop. And wondered how you define it? Is it's a sound or a time period?

For example what would you put "The Ownerz" by Gang Starr under East Coast or Old School?

For me the way I see it is there is the four different regions of the U.S. and then foreign and alt. hip hop. So it breaks down like this...

U.S. Region - Midwest, Dirty South, East Coast, West Coast
World - Can go under the language spoken or the country of origin.
Alt. Hip Hop - Trip Hop, Horrorcore, Crunk and all the left field type stuff and more specific

So to me old school is a sound not a time period. To me Golden age is a time period.

iHeartCali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 iHeartCali
Member since 2008 • 6198 Posts

Damn you caught me at the right time....to be honest Old School should be defined as the period where Hip-Hop music began up until 86, but as Hip-Hop is getting older old school tends to get thrown around loosely. People calling Pac, Cube, & Biggie old school gets a :? from me.

That term needs to be re-defined on the real.

Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts

The normal definition is usually anything pre-1986 and then Golden Age was after that.

But I feel that old school is relative to what is new school at the time. Melle Mel, Caz, Kool Moe Dee, and Kurtis Blow were old school when Rakim, Kane, G Rap, and KRS hit the scene.... then Rakim, Kane, and KRS became the old school when Pac, Jay, BIG, and Nas hit the scene and so on.

KRS-One and Soulja Boy were being interviewed the other day about what is old school and Soulja Boy said old school to him was 50 Cent because he was a youngin when 50 first came on the scene... while KRS was talking about old school to him was Busy Bee Starski because that was when he was a youngin and they both agreed upon that. So my answer is that old school is relative to what is new school at the time.

We call rappers like Blu, Saigon, and Lupe new school rappers, but they aren't gonna be new school forever. When the next set of new rappers come along either, they'll become old school eventually too.

Blueprint12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Blueprint12
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Yeah old school would be like Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC, Schooly D, Ice-T, Big Daddy Kane, Eric B. and Rakim, etc.

Pac, Big, Dre, Snoop, Wu-Tang, Nas, etc. = 90's hip-hop

HaSheeSh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 HaSheeSh_basic
Member since 2002 • 12509 Posts
The last album that was released which truly delivered an "Old School" sound was Wu-Tang's debute. Therefore, anything released pre-1993 is old school to me.
TheBigTicket21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 TheBigTicket21
Member since 2004 • 30875 Posts
any style that has faded away and is extinct in the grand scope of modern music.
bradleybhoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bradleybhoy
Member since 2005 • 6501 Posts

For me "old school" applies to all the pre-Run-DMC artists. Cold Crush Brothers, GMF & The Furious Five, Sugarhill Gang, Treacherous Three etc.

You could apply old school to anything not contemporary but there are other labels like new school, Golden Age, East Coast Renaissance etc. that apply to these areas as well. But I don't really think about labels and categories that much anymore.

Improbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Improbus
Member since 2003 • 15472 Posts
Pre-1990
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fat_rob
Member since 2003 • 22624 Posts
I agree with Orlando
Agnidev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Agnidev
Member since 2007 • 1432 Posts
I agree with Orlandofat_rob
Proobie44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Proobie44
Member since 2006 • 5663 Posts

The normal definition is usually anything pre-1986 and then Golden Age was after that.

But I feel that old school is relative to what is new school at the time. Melle Mel, Caz, Kool Moe Dee, and Kurtis Blow were old school when Rakim, Kane, G Rap, and KRS hit the scene.... then Rakim, Kane, and KRS became the old school when Pac, Jay, BIG, and Nas hit the scene and so on.

KRS-One and Soulja Boy were being interviewed the other day about what is old school and Soulja Boy said old school to him was 50 Cent because he was a youngin when 50 first came on the scene... while KRS was talking about old school to him was Busy Bee Starski because that was when he was a youngin and they both agreed upon that. So my answer is that old school is relative to what is new school at the time.

We call rappers like Blu, Saigon, and Lupe new school rappers, but they aren't gonna be new school forever. When the next set of new rappers come along either, they'll become old school eventually too.

Orlando_Magic
Word, pretty much the whole musical cycle.
Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Colt45fool
Member since 2003 • 79297 Posts
I say anything pre-1994 is old school....'95 was really the last year of consistantly great hip hop music coming out....when listing a dozen classics a year wasn't considered rare. Pre-East Coast West Coast Feud becoming something it should have never became....that's old school to me.
nirvana563

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nirvana563

See I have always felt it's a sound that goes with a time period. Since like I was saying take the last Gang Starr album it has a real old school sound if you ask me but people act as if it can't be old school since it wasn't made from 1979–1984. Which I find to be a bunch of crap since that's saying unless you made music within' these set years you can't be given that title. Another example I can think of is 1990's "You Can't Fade Me" by Ice Cube where at the start Cube says "Drop a old school beat" and the beat is fairly different then the other songs on the record.

So what I'm trying to get at is the people who think of first when someone says "old school" should always be Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa, The Sugarhill Gang. and so on. But if someone uses that old school sound of vinyl scratching and sampling and just has that sound to it then I call it modern old school.

iHeartCali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 iHeartCali

See I have always felt it's a sound that goes with a time period. Since like I was saying take the last Gang Starr album it has a real old school sound if you ask me but people act as if it can't be old school since it wasn't made from 1979–1984. Which I find to be a bunch of crap since that's saying unless you made music within' these set years you can't be given that title. Another example I can think of is 1990's "You Can't Fade Me" by Ice Cube where at the start Cube says "Drop a old school beat" and the beat is fairly different then the other songs on the record.

So what I'm trying to get at is the people who think of first when someone says "old school" should always be Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa, The Sugarhill Gang. and so on. But if someone uses that old school sound of vinyl scratching and sampling and just has that sound to it then I call it modern old school.

nirvana563
That's why the term needs to be redefined.......like Orlando says the term will eventually have to change its meaning sooner or later.
nirvana563

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nirvana563
[QUOTE="nirvana563"]

iHeartCali

That's why the term needs to be redefined.......like Orlando says the term will eventually have to change its meaning sooner or later.

I disagree with that new school makes every thing else old school mindset. I know people think like that but I don't think that's right.

iHeartCali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 iHeartCali
[QUOTE="iHeartCali"][QUOTE="nirvana563"]

nirvana563

I disagree with that new school makes every thing else old school mindset. I know people think like that but I don't think that's right.

But you're defining old school as a sound, so wouldn't it make sense to eventually call what you label the 'new school' old school sooner or later when the time comes (that is if Hip Hop's sound keeps progressing)?
nirvana563

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nirvana563
[QUOTE="nirvana563"][QUOTE="iHeartCali"][QUOTE="nirvana563"]

iHeartCali

But you're defining old school as a sound, so wouldn't it make sense to eventually call what you label the 'new school' old school sooner or later when the time comes (that is if Hip Hop's sound keeps progressing)?

Wait what? Your wording lost me.

To me new school is just whatever is new and old school is that real traditional ****of scratching and sampling and whatnot.

iHeartCali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 iHeartCali

Wait what? Your wording lost me.

To me new school is just whatever is new and old school is that real traditional ****of scratching and sampling and whatnot.nirvana563

I see....I just didn't get the full intent of your previous post so I assumed that you went off of the fact that old school requires certain elements in order to be qualified, while I believe on the other hand that old school will eventually be re-defined mainly because of "time".

Demonic_Jin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#19 Demonic_Jin
Member since 2005 • 10650 Posts

Yesterday I was watching Channel V (Australian music channel) and they had a "top 50 old school rap" countdown.

Roc Boys was number 2, so according to Channel V, anything thats not from this year is old school.

iHeartCali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 iHeartCali
^^ BET's throwback joints date 2-4 years ago nowadays :lol: