trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Since Zelda Wii U will be streamed within the next day, I thought I'd open up a thread for discussion where we can speculate and share our thoughts on what we want/expect, and once it's streamed, we can discuss our thoughts on what we see.

To kick things off, some promo art:

Which most likely reveals a new mechanic of rock climbing. Which I think looks awesome. It'd be pretty cool if you could do combos with rock climbing and the sail cloth, where you glide to other rock faces and continue climbing.

Post edits:

Trailer:

Official Name

"The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild". Here is the Japanese logo:

amiibo:

Wolf Link from Twilight Princess can be scanned in to give you an in game wolf companion. He begins with 3 hearts, but can have more if you level him up in Twilight Princess.

Furthermore, Nintendo have announced three new amiibo for Zelda: BotW:

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Thanks, trugs!

I have a lot of faith on Nintendo but there are three things I reeeally hope to not see tomorrow or on release:

• An empty overworld
  • A story drastically hindered in sake of open world non-linearity
  • Technical issues that have been present and constantly complained about in previous games, like too much unnecessary padding and a beginning that drags on a bit too long.

Fortunately, it does seem like Nintendo EAD is hearing the complaints and suggestions, as shown from what they fixed and trimmed in the remakes, but it's also Nintendo so you never really know what they'll decide to do lol.

I am fortunate enough to be able to play the demo at Nintendo NY this Thursday. Very excited to experience it first hand!

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It'll be good. I just hope Nintendo throws in a couple surprises on other games besides Zelda. Looking forward to some gameplay though. A collector's edition wouldn't hurt either.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

I'm excited!

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ANIMEguy10034

That trailer blew me away...

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By trugs26
Loading Video...

The stream is starting now. Pokemon first, then Zelda.

But they did show a trailer, which looks awesome! There is a lot of new things going on here. For example:

• General wall climbing (e.g rock walls and towers)
  • Chopping down trees
  • Pushing boulders around
  • Environmental hazards to kill the enemy
  • Cooking in the open world
  • Climbing trees
  • Mounting a wild horse
  • Setting grass on fire
  • Lightning striking the ground?
  • Spear weapon, don't recall this being in Zelda before
  • A variety of weapons and armour indicating lots of customisation
  • Dungeons unlocked using your book/tablet thingy.
  • @2:02 we can see a glimpse of the darkness we saw in the concept art they posted which surrounded a castle. Looks to be a major plot point.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By trugs26

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

Thanks, trugs!

I have a lot of faith on Nintendo but there are three things I reeeally hope to not see tomorrow or on release:

• An empty overworld
  • A story drastically hindered in sake of open world non-linearity
  • Technical issues that have been present and constantly complained about in previous games, like too much unnecessary padding and a beginning that drags on a bit too long.

Fortunately, it does seem like Nintendo EAD is hearing the complaints and suggestions, as shown from what they fixed and trimmed in the remakes, but it's also Nintendo so you never really know what they'll decide to do lol.

I am fortunate enough to be able to play the demo at Nintendo NY this Thursday. Very excited to experience it first hand!

Good point, I'm super interested in hearing your first hand thoughts! Reggie mentioned that they'll be showing only a portion of the game, but will talk characters, story, and other things at some point (may it be at E3 or later). So you might not get all your questions answered straight away.

Let us know how your experience goes!

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

This trailer might have gotten me pregnant. Its that devastatingly awesome. I'm really looking forward to the game now and I'm really interested in how dungeon design goes with this new open approach.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ANIMEguy10034

I really enjoyed what they shown. A lot more than I expected. It's crazy how this game was such a mystery but now we basically have about 2 hours of pure gameplay.

I gotta get myself a Wolf Link amiibo now. Having him as your companion looks super cute!

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts

Watching the stream, this game is blowing me away. The shrines are cool, very reminiscent of the dungeons from A Link Between Worlds and there are like 100. Then when you see insane things like a battle against a Guardian, with Link using a magnet, to hold an axe and swing it, while he hides behind a rock. You know Zelda has arrived and its a whole new world.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#11 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@ANIMEguy10034: I'm hoping for an episodic story, with each scenario and dungeon having its own narrative. That way it won't really matter what order you go in.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

Seems like a very empty world...

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sepewrath

trugs your playing it on Thursday? I'm playing it on Friday, cant wait. Going to try and find a spot that no one has found during this week.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ANIMEguy10034

@turtlethetaffer: Oh man, that would be lovely.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ANIMEguy10034

That rock monster overworld miniboss was larger and looked more challenging than most previous Zelda bosses. That was an incredibly fast Game Over. If that was a miniboss, I'm incredibly excited to know what the actual bosses look like.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 trugs26

@Sepewrath said:

trugs your playing it on Thursday? I'm playing it on Friday, cant wait. Going to try and find a spot that no one has found during this week.

Not available where I'm from =\

I'm relying on you guys to let me know how it plays!

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

This trailer might have gotten me pregnant. Its that devastatingly awesome. I'm really looking forward to the game now and I'm really interested in how dungeon design goes with this new open approach.

Hilarious, but true.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 trugs26

The Wolf Link amiibo functionality is actually pretty cool.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

This entire thing blew me away. I don't think I've ever been this excited for a reveal. Everything looked great. At all times I could see something I wanted to go explore! The shrines look great, and the world is HUGE.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

I am excited..still a long wait though. :P

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

I'm not a big Nintendo fan by any means, but this game looks so awesome! I might have to get an NX for it.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By trugs26

Found this awesome gif. There are some exciting elements going on here, from environmental hazards (used to Link's advantage) and effects, to slow-motion combat. Exciting stuff.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I went in with a list of things I thought Nintendo would get wrong, but they delivered on every. single. thing. Can't wait to live in this world for a few months next year.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#24 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9735 Posts

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I was pretty impressed. Can't wait to see more.

Mushroomhead2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mushroomhead2
Member since 2004 • 144 Posts

I was hoping they would make the demo downloadable for all Wii U owners, ya know, to make up for it not coming out this year!!

I am very impressed with what i've seen so far, I hope the huge open world is full of life and secrets to discover!

The Wolf Link companion will be by my side constantly! lol I love that.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sepewrath

@trugs26:Yeah I saw that on the treehouse stream, I was amazed that the battle(minus breaking the bridge at the end) from the original trailer played just like that.

We obviously heard some voice acting, but I don't think the game will be totally 100 percent voice acted. Just a gut feeling. They showed some really amazing things yesterday. Love the physics they have in the game too. Once saw Link get walloped by an enemy and it sent him rolling down a hill. Or having burning grass, blown into a cave and igniting a huge explosion. I can have a ton of fun just messing around with that hours.

@Mushroomhead2: A demo is likely unfeasible, because it would probably all but require you to have external storage.

benjfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By benjfee
Member since 2016 • 7 Posts

Did they mention anything about being able to use the classic controller instead of the Wii U tablet? Was this being played on Wii U or NX? Last thing: Were the enemies different levels like in XCX? OK, thats it. Thanks for anyone that helps.

gopre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 gopre
Member since 2003 • 210 Posts

Wii U sales may have a quick, short lived jump after the release of so much info on Breath of the Wild. Wii U sales will also go up in q4 simply because it's the holidays, and the next great chapter in the Zelda franchise will be right around the corner. Super pumped for this game. Haven't been this excited for a Zelda game since Twilight Princess.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GameboyTroy

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Gameplay and trailers were amazing. So excited for this game. Instantly becomes my 2nd most anticipated game right behind Persona 5. And those amiibo!

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By trugs26

@benjfee said:

Did they mention anything about being able to use the classic controller instead of the Wii U tablet? Was this being played on Wii U or NX? Last thing: Were the enemies different levels like in XCX? OK, thats it. Thanks for anyone that helps.

1. Yeah, it will have Pro Controller support: http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/06/14/e3-2016-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-will-be-the-asame-experiencea-on-nx

2. All the demo's are using a Wii U gamepad, so it's the Wii U version. Plus, Nintendo said they were going to demonstrate it on Wii U at E3.

3. Not sure about that.

@Sepewrath said:

We obviously heard some voice acting, but I don't think the game will be totally 100 percent voice acted. Just a gut feeling.

From the trailer, they've shown voice acting with the narration, which I don't recall ever happening in a Zelda game before. So I'm guessing that there is voice acting for major cut scenes. And from the demo, they have one NPC who doesn't have voice acting. So I'm guessing it's VA just for cut scenes, and text dialogue for in game stuff.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sepewrath

@trugs26: Well you also had the sages and they didn't appear to be voiced. So yeah, that's what I was assuming, that cinematics would be voiced, but not the entire game. Isn't that how it was in Hyrule Warriors? I don't really remember.

Just looking at more footage and I love the animations, for example how the Claymore he holds it almost dragging behind him and then looks like he's really working hard to swing it.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By trugs26

@Sepewrath said:

@trugs26: Well you also had the sages and they didn't appear to be voiced. So yeah, that's what I was assuming, that cinematics would be voiced, but not the entire game. Isn't that how it was in Hyrule Warriors? I don't really remember.

Just looking at more footage and I love the animations, for example how the Claymore he holds it almost dragging behind him and then looks like he's really working hard to swing it.

You're right, HW does have VA. It's not in major cut scenes, but a narration between them.

I'm so hyped for this game.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sepewrath

You know a Zelda game is impressive when GS closes their E3 coverage just gushing over it. I have to say I haven't heard a single negative thing about the game the entire show and that says a lot. So I see talk about timeline placement talk happening now. I think the Wind Waker looking stuff like the Korok is a trick to get people thinking that way. My first guess is it will be in the timeline where Link fails and the Link we play as is a revived Link and 1 of the following 3: Hero Chosen by the Goddess, Hero of Time or Link from the original Zelda

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GameboyTroy

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Loading Video...

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ANIMEguy10034

I just came from playing both demos at Nintendo NY. Here are my thoughts:

First and foremost, the game does not look good on their massive 15 foot HD monitor, but that's literally the only complaint lol. I'm certain the game will stay 720p for Wii U but it would be amazing if it's 1080p on NX, especially for those who own larger TVs (well, not 15 feet large, but y'know). The game is gorgeous regardless.

Unfortunately I have no footage because I was not allowed to film directly to the screen.

Okay, so the first thing I noticed, or well, struggled with, is the new button layout. B to run, to let go while climbing and to sheath your weapon. A is to select, talk, gather, etc. X to jump. You automatically climb after jumping onto a wall. Y is to attack. Pressing Y after X is a jump attack. Pretty different to other Zelda games already. You select and equip your weapons by pressing left and right on the D-Pad, respectively, and scrolling through your options with R stick. The closest thing I could compare it to is the quick inventory from Assassin's Creed 4. Pressing the L stick makes you crouch for stealth. Since you can find a bow from the very start of the game, ZR is specifically used to aim it and letting go. ZL is Z-targetting and brings out your shield. I forgot what exactly the L and R buttons did, but I rarely used them. I think the employee told me that you use L to detonate one of those special blue bombs after throwing it, but I failed to do so and blew myself up lol. You can ride on your shield down hills like a snowboard by pressing ZL then jump with X and press A.

Alright, so the first demo was 15 minutes long and starts you out by a camp fire and stove, equipment and food. This demo was to freely walk around, explore and kill shit. To answer your question,@benjfee, the area had tougher enemies walking around than the usual red moblins. I accidentally woke this massive rock monster miniboss and he had an impressive health bar and was able to OHKO me easily. I died 4 times, in fact. It definitely reminded me of those Xenoblade monsters or tyrants that roam around and destroy you if you get too close. However, unlike Xenoblade, this miniboss CAN be defeated from the very start of the game if you have the right tools. It's genius.

Basically, the world is scattered with goodies. Killing these moblin squads gives you access to chests with stronger equipment. Sometimes you find closed off areas with puzzles or obstacles that could be burned down or blown up and behind them are more chests. Weapons like rusted swords or axes are sometimes laying around. But what's really great about this game is that really good weapons are not exclusive to late game. Clubs, axes and rusted sword that you pick up on your way to the Temple of Time had 2-5 damage. It's definitely enough to kill enemies in 2-3 hits. With a bit of exploring, I found a bow with 14 damage and bomb arrows, which is already too much power in my hands for 10 minutes into the game but still appreciated. With these, I was able to almost kill the miniboss after learning its attack pattern and aiming for his weak spot. Unfortunately the 15 minutes were up at this point. I could have also used the bombs to cripple its legs, use that moment to climb on his back, Shadow of the Colossus style, and constantly hit his weak point before it gains back its legs. So really, no enemy is impossible to kill. They can easily kill you, but you can definitely kill them back with enough determination.

The second demo was 20 minutes long and focused on the story. I'm pretty confident it's the same introduction they'll use for the full game so I'll put this part under spoilers.

So it started me off the same exact way it did in Treehouse. You wake up on this water bed after a voice kept calling you out. You've been resurrected and you're literally naked. No clothes, no weapons, nada. You gain the shiekah plate, a worn shirt and pants, and you leave this cave. At the distance, you see this old man by the camp fire. He doesn't say much, but points out the torch stick and the ax behind him, and tells you to head to the Temple of Time. Although I started out empty handed this time, the world has not changed from the first demo where I did start out with equipment. All monsters and miniboss are where they were so I would definitely be in big trouble if I start to mindlessly wander around naked. I go inside the temple, I pray to the Goddess Hylia (same statue design as the massive one from Skyward Sword, but like much smaller so it fits inside the temple). The map marker is pointing me towards these ruins. It's one of the watchtowers, but mostly encased under a hill. I activate it and it starts to awaken. It rises up from the ground and every watchtower all over Hyrule start to emerge. New cutscene, Hyrule Castle is seen in the background. A bright light comes from its base. It calls out to Link. Tells him he as been asleep for 100 years and begs him to remember his past to defeat this new evil and save the land. As she begs Link, this black aura in the shape of Ganon starts to engulf the castle. The light begins to fade and the cutscene ends.

You can definitely visit and complete the shrines before activating the watchtowers but I would not recommend it since I'm 80% sure they are your warping points, but I could not test that out.

Thaaat's pretty much all I have to say, I think. I definitely had fun with it. Feel free to ask me questions about it, hopefully I'll be able to answer them from what I've experienced in those 35 minutes.

EDIT: Almost forgot, but you can change time of day by pressing A by the camp fire. The options were morning, afternoon and night. More enemies appear at night.

Sorry for the massive reply!

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 trugs26

@Sepewrath said:

You know a Zelda game is impressive when GS closes their E3 coverage just gushing over it. I have to say I haven't heard a single negative thing about the game the entire show and that says a lot. So I see talk about timeline placement talk happening now. I think the Wind Waker looking stuff like the Korok is a trick to get people thinking that way. My first guess is it will be in the timeline where Link fails and the Link we play as is a revived Link and 1 of the following 3: Hero Chosen by the Goddess, Hero of Time or Link from the original Zelda

That's where I'm predicting it will be in the timeline too.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

This game looks EXACTLY like what I was hoping for Zelda. A big open-world, very dynamic gameplay, BEAUTIFUL art-style, light rpg elements...

Not sure if there will be any other "quest" structure other than the mini-shrines or dungeons or whatever they're called. A hundred mini dungeons each with it's own puzzle and then some more traditional Zelda dungeons sounds like plenty to keep me busy. So far I find myself relieved that we didn't see anything about tedious fetch quests but who knows what else will be available in the game. I think someone at Nintendo said there are some towns and NPC's in the game.

March cannot come soon enough. If NX is hard to get a hold of and takes a few weeks after launch to get, it'll be really hard to wait for Zelda (assuming it comes out at the same time as NX). I'll be really tempted to just buy the WiiU version since they're identical.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GameboyTroy

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GameboyTroy

Zelda Developers Discuss A Possible Spin-Off With Sheik

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sepewrath

Just got back from playing the demo and Nintendo World Store and.....wow......that just encompasses playing this game. I'm going to start a phrase for when this games launches "You haven't lived a day in Hyrule until you've[insert insane thing you can did here] For example, shield surfing down a hill into a bokoblin camp, wildly firing bomb arrows, destroy a group of trees and watching the enemies run out the chaos on fire, where you finish them off with a massive jumping strike with an axe. That has to say it all, about what this game is all about. Also I found one of the elusive rupees, a red one on by examining the body of a broken guardian.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

I read that Nintendo was going to show a lot of this game, but I was surprised that they showed so much; and what they showed was pretty amazing. I also need to get LoZTP and the wolf amiibo for this game. Also the new amiibo for Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild are very artistic and detailed. I also like the classy piano music that I heard and feel that everything about this game is stylish and high-toned.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

This trailer might have gotten me pregnant. Its that devastatingly awesome.

You're watching your trailers wrong!

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By GameboyTroy

Monolith Soft Is Helping Out Nintendo With Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ya9qVJkfHU

TheNDefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By TheNDefender
Member since 2016 • 299 Posts

@GameboyTroy: Good.

What better way to get help with an open world game than the masters at Monolith themselves.

Maybe Nintendo can strike a deal with Bethesda and get some Elder Scrolls DLC for Zelda? And vice versa for Skyrim remastered? If so, that would be awesome. If not that's ok, they don't have to.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Sepewrath

@thendefender: Being in all none of those games are on Nintendo platforms, that's pretty unlikely.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I'm really glad the Monolith team is on board with Zelda. Now I get the feeling that its going to be the biggest Zelda ever. The freedom offered is amazing!

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GameboyTroy

Loading Video...
Loading Video...