Your Thoughts on DS Games on 3DS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zcds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 161

User Lists: 0

#1 zcds
Member since 2005 • 1984 Posts

I have played several DS games on the 3DS and it all really depends on the game for thoes who say they are all bad. Some games look better and other well don't. Sor the sake of my postings i have played these games on an original DS as well as DS Light. I mostly played my old games to see if a new ds would improve it. So here name games and your thoughts

RayMan DS: Seeing that a 3DS port of Rayman 2 was out I dug this out of the pit of the ds collection and gave it a play. Ray Man DS really improved with having a Joy stick controller. Movement was much smoother but the camera was still extremely bad and the muddyness of the graphics really stands out.

Golden Eye RA: One would think aiming with the joystick would improve the clunky aiming but it was downright uncontrollable even with a lot of sensitivity tweaking. Graphics were about the same.

Burn Out legends: Curious to see if the joystick would help with the clunky driving and was a bit surprised to see it kinda did. Driving was a bit smoother and helped making turns. Graphics though were even more terrible, the opening cinematic makes the Sega CD look crystal clear Gameplay graphics looks blurry, more muddy and even hurt the eyes it was so bad.

Rune factory 3: The 3DS' back light really made this game look more colorful and vibrant. Moving around with the joystick worked fine but with combat it was a bit too loose. So sticking with the D Pad is advised.

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

Pokemon White looks terrible. Too much blurriness.

zcds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 zcds

Yeah I played a few more games like Resident Evil, and need for speed and it all looks blurry. Video is almost unwatchable thanks to blurriness. Makes me not regret getting a DS light two weeks ago to play DS games.

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DealRogers

Yeah definitely if you can get a cheap one go for it, DS games on 3DS is just a big no.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#5 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

That's why I kept my DS lite so I could play DS games on those, it just feels better. But maybe when the 3DS lite comes out DS games will have better quality to them.

Limp_Laky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Limp_Laky
Member since 2003 • 505 Posts

dont have a 3ds yet so I dont understand this exactly buthttp://ds.ign.com/articles/115/1157584p1.htmlshould resolve it.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

anybody know how the 3DS compares to the DS Phat at DS games?

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Alx1231
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

I wouldn't call it terible but it is better on the DS lite and dsi but hey at least it can play DS games. TO me, it doesn't really take much out of it.

AstralDrmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AstralDrmz
Member since 2009 • 784 Posts

Don't play it super close to you. Play it at the recommended length away for the 3D effect and it looks decent. No, I'm not saying that it has 3D, just citing the amount of inches away.

SnowyPaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SnowyPaws
Member since 2011 • 232 Posts

I finally got my 3ds in the mail today.. So far I have tried out 4 differ games on it (all ds games as i dont own a 3d game yet) ..

Dragon quest looked ok to me, words were a tad blurry but that coulda been due to my eyes are used to 3d yet and after setting up the 3ds my eyes were hurting..

Nintendogs looked ok to me.

Death JR looked ok just a tad blurry

animal crossings looked horrible to me.. I tried to fish and kept missing due to major blur.

Haven't tried any of my other games yet (i own over 200 regular ds games.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Pokemon White looks terrible. Too much blurriness.

DealRogers
I disagree. I thought the filter helped sharpen the pixilated sprites in battle Pokemon Platinum on the other hand forces you to squint to see moves in battle
Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts
i only have bowser's inside story and i thought it was very sharp. anyone found this blurry? i'm speaking from a perspective of someone who never had the ds lol.
zcds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zcds

The games i listed were played on a ds original (fat), To put it simply DS games look better on it than the 3DS.

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 riariases
Member since 2007 • 2335 Posts
Some games look worse, some games look better. Mostly every 3D game looks better. On the DS, 3D games would be grainy and pixelated but with the slight blur on the 3DS, it just makes it look smoother. But for 2D games where every last pixel is specifically placed(unlike 3D games), it makes it look over blurry. I still have four DS games that i've tried on the 3DS. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time(a 3D game) looks so much better. On the DS it was very pixelated and the 3DS blurring really helped. Characters and environments don't look so dotted. Final Fantasy Tactics A2(a 2D game) looks a bit worse, but not too much. Dragon Ball Origins looked better, and for Pokemon Black, the battles looked better but everything else looked worse.
peach79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 peach79
Member since 2006 • 367 Posts

I played Okami Den and DQ6 and found no noticeable difference. The graphics aren;t blurry at all and I think DQ6 actually looks sharper on the 3DS.

XprimeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 XprimeX
Member since 2006 • 1148 Posts

All my ds games look fine in their native resolution. I just pop the game in, load it and hold start/select while its loading, black borders come up and bam- sharp and crisp just like the DSL- I have yet to play the blown up distorted version everyone seems so obsessed with continuing to use lol

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#18 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80405 Posts
I haven't tried out my old DS games on it yet. Maybe I should before I retire my DS Lite.
peach79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 peach79
Member since 2006 • 367 Posts

My 3DS starts up DS games with the black borders without pressing select and start. Weird.

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DealRogers

My 3DS starts up DS games with the black borders without pressing select and start. Weird.

peach79
If you do the start or select trick the borders get bigger.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22713 Posts

i just bought mario 64 ds(my first ds game woohoo) to see how bad its going to look on my 3ds. i will use the hold select screen tip also.

luke516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 luke516
Member since 2008 • 1047 Posts
What about Pokemon Platinum/SoulSilver/Black/White/ect. How do those look on the 3DS?
vtbob88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 vtbob88
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts

I have been playing white and Im not seeing any problem. I never played on a ds so I dont know if that may be why I do see anything wrong with it.

luke516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 luke516

I have been playing white and Im not seeing any problem. I never played on a ds so I dont know if that may be why I do see anything wrong with it.

vtbob88
Yay!
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

Unless one like to pay "fine attention" for blurriness, the games look fine to me. :/

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts
[QUOTE="Batang_X990"]i only have bowser's inside story and i thought it was very sharp. anyone found this blurry? i'm speaking from a perspective of someone who never had the ds lol.

bumping my previous post hoping to get a response.. i want to know if anyone who has the ds notice a difference with this game.. from a perspective of someone who never has played the ds, i think it's crystal clear. if ds owners find it blurry and i dont, then i probably would not mind playing other ds titles on the 3ds.
catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

I haven't played a DS in a few years since my DS Lite died, so after purchasing the 3DS and playing Pokemon White, I could tell the image was less sharp (in comparison to the sharpness of regular 3DS software), but it didn't bother after a few seconds.

SnowyPaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SnowyPaws
Member since 2011 • 232 Posts

I finally broke down and bought 2 3ds games today, SSF and nintendogs+cats ...

and I must say after playing the old nintendogs on my 3ds and then the 3ds version I can see a HUGE difference.

the 3ds version is alot more clisp/clear and i dont even have my slider set up high its almost at the off but yet there is still a huge difference between the ds and 3ds games once ya play both on a 3ds system.

ekalbtwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 ekalbtwin
Member since 2007 • 1044 Posts
I just tried out Tetris and Mario kart DS on my 3ds and did not see anything that would make me not play them on the system. Maybe different games have a different look on the new system?
luke516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 luke516

I haven't played a DS in a few years since my DS Lite died, so after purchasing the 3DS and playing Pokemon White, I could tell the image was less sharp (in comparison to the sharpness of regular 3DS software), but it didn't bother after a few seconds.

catfishmoon23
yessss I'm def getting it now