Your most overrated/underrated Wii games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

With just about the full library of substance behind us, what did you find to be the most overrated or underrated of the lot?

For me:

Overrated-

• The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Boringly easy, disappointing controls, I just can't stand trudging through it.
  • Rayman: Origins - Levels didn't feel very fluid or fun, also seemed very easy throughout most of the game..
  • Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition - Tank controls, meh story, didn't feel as tense as people made it out to be.

Underrated:

• Red Steel 2 - Awesome combat, amazing graphics, fun quirky atmosphere. Better than the first in every way, yet much worse sales..
  • Dawn of Discovery - Excellent little RTS/Colony Builder, a ton to do, lots of depth, and great controls.
  • Fortune Street - Gamers passed it over for another party game, reviewers panned it because it wasn't a party game.. Ridiculously addicting monopoly/stock market board game, so many viable strategies to dominate or sabotage, hours of fun :D
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

overrated:

1.red steel 2- its good but a rental imo
2.mario galaxy- it was great but i liked sm64 and sunshine better..
3.resident evil 4- its a great game but not best ever like people say... i like the first 4 RE games better..

underrated:

1.no more heroes- i passed on this at first because the graphics were so bad but its an amazing game.... i have part2 and so far i think part1 was better.
2.metroid other M- a great metroid game imo
3tomb raider anniversary- the wiimote controls and puzzle solving in this game were so good.
4.star wars the force unleashed- the first one on the wii was terrific imo...the controls has me feeling like a jedi....then they butchered the controls on part2...
5.indiana jones staff of kings- if you learn to immerse yourself in the controls this game will be very very fun.
6.Okami- this game deserves millions of sales... it is so good.
7.endless ocean- i never tried the 2nd one but the first one is an amazing exploration of the ocean with terrific music and controls.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KBFloYd

• Fortune Street - Gamers passed it over for another party game, reviewers panned it because it wasn't a party game.. Ridiculously addicting monopoly/stock market board game, so many viable strategies to dominate or sabotage, hours of fun :D

WreckEm711

i just bought this game a couple weeks ago...havn't opened it yet but it was 15 dollars new! how could i refuse.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Just from the top of my mind: Super Paper Mario is underrated (being different doesnt make it a bad game) and overrated I can say de Blob. So many good reviews and in the end the game was so damn boring.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WreckEm711

overrated:

1.red steel 2- its good but a rental imo
2.mario galaxy- it was great but i liked sm64 and sunshine better..
3.resident evil 4- its a great game but not best ever like people say... i like the first 4 RE games better..

underrated:

1.no more heroes- i passed on this at first because the graphics were so bad but its an amazing game.... i have part2 and so far i think part1 was better.
2.metroid other M- a great metroid game imo
3tomb raider anniversary- the wiimote controls and puzzle solving in this game were so good.
4.star wars the force unleashed- the first one on the wii was terrific imo...the controls has me feeling like a jedi....then they butchered the controls on part2...
5.indiana jones staff of kings- if you learn to immerse yourself in the controls this game will be very very fun.
6.Okami- this game deserves millions of sales... it is so good.
7.endless ocean- i never tried the 2nd one but the first one is an amazing exploration of the ocean with terrific music and controls.

KBFloYd

Totally agree on Other M, Force Unleashed. How can Red Steel 2 be overrated though? It largely received lukewarm reviews and hardly anyone bought it :P

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KBFloYd

Totally agree on Other M, Force Unleashed. How can Red Steel 2 be overrated though? It largely received lukewarm reviews and hardly anyone bought it :P

WreckEm711

overrated by nintendo fans..and in the wii forum..i am not naming names :P

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

KBFloYd

overrated by nintendo fans..and in the wii forum..i am not naming names :P

:D

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
@KBFloYd I totally agree with Endless Ocean, it's an amazing experience. Don't play the sequel though, it's MUCH worse. The only thing that it's better is the Wii Speak support for multiplayer, but that's it.
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Overrated:

Just Dance-I admit, I really only glimpsed JD 4, but I noticed it severly lacked content. There was 2 modes and there were essentially the same, and there weren't too many songs. It looks fun, but not enough to justify its 9 million units sold for JD 2 and 3, or maybe I'm just overlooking something.

And there were other shovelware games that somehow sold millions (like Carnival games and Game Party), but I feel I don't need to state the obvious.

Honestly, I can't think of much else but I know there is more.

Underrated:

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess- It's critically praised but I'm hearing alot of complaints from Zelda fans. I understand the tedious bug-catching segments but I loved this game for so many reasons.

Metroid Other M- Wow I can't believe how much flak this game is received from fans and critics alike. The presentation and story were mediocre at best. However the game won me over with its gameplay.

Sega games (MadWorld, House of the Dead: Overkill, and Conduit)- This was Sega's attempt to satisfy the Wii's core players and each game performed poorly in sales. It was unfortunate because the games were so good.

No More Heroes- Same situation as above.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

Overrated:

New Super Mario Bros Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2 - I found the both to be dull, soulless games, lacking the charm that makes other Nintendo franchises memorable and enjoyable.

Underrated:

Silent Hill Shattered Memories - One of the few games that has gotten storytelling in video games right. By merging the story into the gameplay and adapting the characters and events to individual playstyles, the developers created something truly remarkable.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

Just from the top of my mind: Super Paper Mario is underrated (being different doesnt make it a bad game)Rod90
No, being different is not what makes this game weak. Granted, the dialog and characters are great. Problem is, this game lacks compelling action, unintuitive RPG elements and the cumbersome 3- D switching element that only Mario can use, making other characters less used than they should have been. The DS Mario RPG's are an example of how they should be done.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

As for underrated, I would have to say Boom Blox deserves more credit than what it was given. Seriously, get a few people playing locally on this and goodtimes ensue.

inflammable01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 inflammable01
Member since 2007 • 1374 Posts
Underrated: Excitebots. Such a good game, especially online. So much variety and just a lot of fun. Overrated: New Super Mario Bros Wii. It's just too easy, but glad to see they up the difficulty on the Wii U sequel.
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9145 Posts
underrated xenoblade last story fragile dreams overrated SMG2 zelda SS zelda TP for me
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Overrated - Mario Kart Wii

Mario Kart Wii is inoffensive for the most part but it ranks pretty easily among my least favorites in the series. The stages feel too complicated for my liking and 12 racers instead of 8 feels like overkill. I didn't like the idea of bikes either. Overall the game seemed to lack charm and failed to hold my attention.

Underrated - Metroid Other M

This one is underrated, kind of. I mostly agree with the complaints, except maybe for listing linearity as a fault when it isn't necessarily, but it was a fun game all the same. What really bothered my were the tacked on where's waldo segments. I'd never gotten stuck at a Cutscene before this game.

ekalbtwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ekalbtwin
Member since 2007 • 1044 Posts
The overrated award would have to go to Mario Galaxy 2 only because so many people say its much better than the first, and it isn't The underrated award goes to: 1) Cold Mountain. It was a solid, if somewhat of a budget title. Its biggest flaw was it poor tutorial of its motion controls. 2) Zelda SKyward Sword. The game is literally almost perfect, and if the controls aren't working for you, you are doing them wrong *cough gamespot review cough* 3) Wii Fit. The game is a blast to play each day.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Overrated:

Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom: I got this game before picking up a PS3 because I was in a fix for a Capcom fighter (with no SS4 to play, obviously). The game has its brand of charm, but I found it very lacking on a number of levels. Bare bones modes and options, not as balanced as it claims to be, and really just didn't have the kind of impact all of the reviews I saw for it give it. My guess that it was the whole "Capcom Vs." thing that allowed this game to get more hype and praise than it ever should have received.

No More Heroes: For the longest time, I just thought that my dislike for this game was strictly because my preferences just didn't mesh with Suda51's radical game design. However, after playing AND enjoying Lollipop Chainsaw, I'm now more convinced than ever that NMH was simply underwhelming on its own merits. It takes a pretty lackluster experience for me to go through about 45 minutes of gameplay, beat the first boss, and never want to see the game again, but that's what NMH managed to accomplish. Combat was dull, overworld (what little I played of it) was bland, and the overall nature of the game tried to hard to be 'edgy', only to come off as very immature as a whole.

Muramasa The Demon Blade: I don't feel as strongly about this game as the previous two as far as being overrated, but it could have been better. The visuals were great, until I realized that there were plenty of recycled areas to pull the visual charm of the game back down to size. On top of that, I don't think the combat of the game was as polished as it could have been. Still a solid game that I may go back to one day, but it could have been a lot more, IMO.

Underrated:

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games series: I can't say much about the original installment in this series, as I've never played it, but I will say that this is one of those series that has gotten much more flak than it has deserved, IMO. Given the soruce material, I think the series did a pretty decent job at incorporating the Mario and Sonic worlds into friendly-competitive experiences that does both of them justice. That's not to say that there weren't some sour apples when it comes to the actual events (Curling... what was THAT?!?), but I think the series got better and more creative with each installment, despite the fact that we're talking about games based on actual real-life events.

WarioWare Smooth Moves & Super Paper Mario: Neither of these two games come off as "underrated" if you look at their scores, but I don't think either of them got the credit and appreciation they deserved as games, especially as first year Wii games. WarioWare Smooth Moves, along with Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3, represents the ultimate missed opportunity that was the Wii, as not a single developed looked at the game as a blueprint on how to make an exceptional experience with the system's strengths in mind. Smooth Moves did more things successfully (and laugh-out-loud fun) with the Wii Remote than ANY other game.

As for Super Paper Mario, it was a victim of the expectations of its predecessors having a more RPG-like nature. As a platformer with RPG elements, the game has its fair share of really cool moments. Not to mention the whole 2D-to-3D twist the game provided is STILL something developers should be paying attention to when it comes to creating refreshing gameplay mechanics. And as usual with the series, the game's dialogue and personality was top-notch from start to finish.

Naruto Clash of Ninja Revolution Series: I've tooted this horn quite a few times over the years, but it really never gets tiring talking about the one anime-licensed fighting game series I've come across that actually has very respectable fighting game mechanics. And I've only come to appreciate the series more as time has gone on. CoNR1-3 was my fighting game fix for years on the Wii, alongside SSBB, and I recently learning that there is still more to the series simple, yet deceptively deep system than you would ever think there was if you're just picking up the game because you're simply a Naruto fan. It's the one series that has managed to blend a 3D fighting game environment, ala 'Tekken' or 'Dead or Alive', with a Smash Bros.-like sense of accessibility successfully. Diversity, balance, uniqueness... it did most of these things better than most reviewers game it credit for. And since it appears that I won't be getting a follow-up of the series on the Wii U, due to Namco Bandai handling Naruto games now, I'm doing what I can to make sure the series gets its props.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pixel-Perfect

Overrated:

Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom: I got this game before picking up a PS3 because I was in a fix for a Capcom fighter (with no SS4 to play, obviously). The game has its brand of charm, but I found it very lacking on a number of levels. Bare bones modes and options, not as balanced as it claims to be, and really just didn't have the kind of impact all of the reviews I saw for it give it. My guess that it was the whole "Capcom Vs." thing that allowed this game to get more hype and praise than it ever should have received.

Madmangamer364

Opv98.gif

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Overlooked games: Dewey's Adventure Little King's Story Lost in Shadow Zack & Wiki
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Overrated:

- Pokemon Battle Revolution. It's not broken, but it's an overpriced sack of oran berries.

Underrated (by a bit):

- Metroid Other M

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Overrated:

- Pokemon Battle Revolution. It's not broken, but it's an overpriced sack of oran berries.

Underrated (by a bit):

- Metroid Other M

ANIMEguy10034
Who's ever overrated Battle Revolution? I thought it always got poor scores and most people recognized it as a crappier stadium game (has less features than the N64 titles).
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pixel-Perfect

[QUOTE="ANIMEguy10034"]

Overrated:

Underrated (by a bit):

- Metroid Other M

Minishdriveby

Who's ever overrated Battle Revolution? I thought it always got poor scores and most people recognized it as a crappier stadium game (has less features than the N64 titles).

The game has a 53 on metacritic, which is disgustingly high for the game.Xat-chew.gif

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Who's ever overrated Battle Revolution? I thought it always got poor scores and most people recognized it as a crappier stadium game (has less features than the N64 titles).Minishdriveby
Those poor scores are overrated by my standards. :P I was extremely disappointed by it.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

Overrated:

Pixel-Perfect

*insert pic here*

I calls it like I sees it. The game lost any significant value the moment I got the chance to own SSFIV. I think I played it like once after getting my PS3 and realized that it was dead weight. Along with RE: Darkside Chronicles, it made for a nice trade-in, though. :P

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Underrated - Super Paper Mario This is a great game with that unique switch to 3D mechanic that I thought was cool. Unfortunately it received the Star Fox Adventures syndrome from the fanbase. Overrated - The Last Story Don't get me wrong, it's a good game. But it feels a bit too linear for me or maybe I was just spoiled by Xenoblade.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Overrated -
Zelda TP: Actually found it quite boring, was struggling to finish it, infact took me about 2 years to finally eventually finish it - hated the wolf part.

The Last Story : Just didn't do it for me, too straight forward & easy..didn't even die once & urgh probably the most feminine armour felt like Im dressing up a tranvestite.

Underrated: Other M - had it flaws but still a good game imo.

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gesyma
Member since 2003 • 1082 Posts

Overrated: Scribblenauts / Underrated: ZombiU

Edit: Sorry guys just realized this was for Wii games -____-