Would you buy a HD Wii U Gamepad?

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you buy a HD Wii U Gamepad? (29 votes)

Definitely! 24%
No 66%
Depends on the price 10%

The stand-out flaw of the gamepad is the low resolution. If Nintendo released a Wii U Gamepad Plus that rectified that and included a slightly more streamlined design as well as a bigger screen could you see yourself buying it?

• 
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#1 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

No, I find the Gamepad's resolution to be adequate for its size.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17879 Posts

not really tempting.

can the wiiu stream a 720P or 1080P video and still keep the responsivness of the current gamepad? somehow i doubt it. there would have to be compromise. you could stream the current 854x480 stream to a HD screen and have it upscale i suppose but....blech.

i still use the TV as my main display for gaming on the wiiu also. the gamepad screen is very much a secondary viewing portal.

a better quality screen with the same res would be nice. the gamepad is certainly not bad but windwaker, for example, doesnt look as rich or as vivid as it does on my TV.

an improved screen wouldnt encourage me to spend the guts of 100 quid on a new gamepad though.

in terms of the gamepads specs nintendo were quite sensible. its all too easy to say "ah sure stick a 1080P screen in it" but that has implications in terms of streaming requirements, rendering requirements (remember the wiiu would have to render a second 1080P image when playing on two screens) and control latency and so on. its not a tablet that just needs to render a few web pages. its an extension to a gaming device. its a completely different set of requirements.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Nope. I find the resolution to be fine, and I wouldn't waste my money on a most likely very expensive accessory just for some better video quality. I'd just play on my TV if I wanted better resolution.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Flaw? For its size it looks good enough. I can't even really tell that it's not HD. It's close enough.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

Nope. It's adequate for it's size.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

Wow, that's quite unanimous. I didn't expect that.

@osan0 has it spot on.

I'm just trying to find out what people don't like about the gamepad.

In all seriousness, so far, the main complaints I have concern the bumpers/triggers which I feel need more give, but I suspect perhaps the Wii U doesn't have the types of games which nessitate that anyway. I wouldn't mind the effective range of the streaming capability to be increased, perhaps with a repeater or extender peripheral. I'd like to be able to play on the move indoors whilst doing other stuff.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

No, because the only time I ever use the gamepad is when I play Nintendo Land. For everything else, I use the Pro Controller.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

I would if they made some modifications to allow the gamepad, to actually hold games, and to run without the wii U console itself. Or at least increase the distance to maybe 100 feet away from the console, with improved battery life.

The Graphics are fine for me.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Probably not, given the screen size, I doubt it'd make much of a difference. Maybe if there was a re-design in general though.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

No, already have a full HD tv screen for that. :P

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

I already have troubles with the current one, sometimes while playing RE Revelations via the gamepad the graphics look are smeared and like dripping goo, I don't know if it's a defective unit or just the streaming is not up to par so it glitches out, so I doubt it could even handle HD graphics being streamed to it.

I do however hope that Tecmo offers a collectible camera obscura gamepad that offers the standard interactivity plus unique features for the Fatal Frame Wii U game. I'd buy that.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

No, but if they'd make the pad smaller, more ergonomic and with better battery life that'd be great.

But they'd need to make the screen smaller for that, 5inches would be good, and it'd have higher pixel density that way too.

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 PurpleLabel
Member since 2014 • 314 Posts

They haven't done enough with the Wii U gamepad to make me use it more than my pro remote. I was very much pro gamepad for a long time too.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I'd be more interested in them finding a way to make the battery life last longer with the currently existing batteries.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34778 Posts

No. If the gamepad would be even bigger, then hell no.

Dom_Hawk_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Dom_Hawk_basic
Member since 2002 • 411 Posts

The resolution could be improved, one problem that one might run into is: is the Wii U capable of streaming an HD signal if the bandwidth doesn't exist then the solution might be a no go. Second issue would be if the Wii U could do the streaming would there be some form of compression artifactin in the games. The extra resolution could be good depending upon how close to your face you hold the gamepad, needless to say I hold it closer than I let my (WQHD/WHDQ) montor, therefore a pixel increase would be nice. However, it could also be cost prohibitive. I would expect the pad would cost somewhere in the bal park of an ipad mini, which would hen be as much as if nor more than the system cost iitsef.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Star0

@Dom_Hawk_basic: I think your first point is why Nintendo went with the specs they did. A capacitive touchscreen is always nice too, but always increases costs. The signal range issue could be solved with an extender/repeater/booster and latency would be "fixable" as this article states. Can anyone more knowledgeable on the subject expand on this? The gamepad should be the go-to media hub of the home, in my opinion. This would be one way to go about achieving that. I'd also love a laser projection virtual keyboard that works both on even and uneven surfaces, if possible. The idea would to be put the gamepad in either of the cradles. Again, this is just what I'd like. I've probably spent half their budget already in my mind =P

With Project C.A.R.S. coming out soon I'd like a steering wheel attachment for the gamepad that clamps onto the edge of tables so you can just slot the gamepad in and use motion controls in a more natural set up.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

A repeater would be awesome, the signal in my bedroom isn't very strong.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Star0

@achilles614: I did some reading and I don't think the Bluetooth transmitter in the Wii U is powerful enough to make plug-in wireless range extenders a feasible option.

You could use repeaters, but that would add delay because you'd be introducing package duplication.

You could even chain extenders, that would also add delay due to signal degradation.

I don't think the gamepad was designed to be used long-range. There's no way to get around that from what I understand. The hardware simply doesn't allow for it.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

Nope. I never even use the gamepad I have now.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

yea...but id buy a turd if it had nintendos name on it...so

i dont think it would sell at all unless its bundled.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Star0
@KBFloYd said:

yea...but id buy a turd if it had nintendos name on it...so

i dont think it would sell at all unless its bundled.

You'd buy a turd *points and laughs*

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24  Edited By Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

If Nintendo did release an Advanced version of the game pad. I would buy one. HD visuals would be nice. But I would like an actual processor built into the Gamepad SP or whatever Nintendo named such a device. I would like Nintendo to upgrade the Wii U gamepad into an actual tablet computer. With a Multi touch screen instead of the single touch screen that the Gamepad has now.

But such an upgrade would result in a Gamepad tablet costing $200.00 to be on par with the Kindle Fire tablet. or any other low end computer tablet. Which at best an enhanced Gamepad tablet could ever be. This is unpractical as the Gamepad is expensive as it is now. So Nintendo won't be making an HD gamepad or one with other enhancements. But I would buy one if they did.