Would it really be a good idea for Nintendo to upgrade to HD?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

I mean, look at Banjo & Kazooie for example.

Before/After

Banjo & Kazooie N64Banjo & Kazooie XBox 360

Maybe it's just me, but Banjo & Kazooie looked a lot better when they were on the N64. Honestly they just look ugly now, after being upgraded to HD on the XBox 360. I have nothing against Banjo & Kazooie either, Banjo Tooie is one of my favorite N64 games.

Here's another example, Dr Eggman,

Before/After

Dr Eggman Gamecube/PS2/WiiDr Eggman PS3/XBox 360

I think Dr Eggman looks much better in the first pic. The first time I played Sonic the Hedgehog on PS3 and I saw Dr Eggman, I thought to myself, what the heck did they do to him? He's not supposed to look like that. As far as I know he only looks like that in Sonic the Hedgehog 06, but still. He looked ugly in that game. I'm really glad they didn't make him stay that way permanently. Maybe that's why they kept his original design in every other Sonic game to come out after that one.

I guess it just got me thinking. What if Nintendo does upgrade to HD for their next system? Do you think they'd ruin characters like Mario and Link, the way that Microsoft and Sony ruined Banjo & Kazooie and Dr Eggman?

Here's what Mario currently looks like, in New Super Mario Bros Wii. Now imagine if he was upgraded to HD, he could look something like this...

Before/After

Mario NSMB WiiMario in HD

Of course this is just speculation. But imagine if Nintendo upgraded to HD and Mario looked something like that. That thought just scares me. Honestly I don't think it'd be good for Nintendo to upgrade to HD, not if they'd have the same results as Microsoft and Sony. I would however like to play games in HD if it could be done without ruining the characters or the experience.

Personally I prefer the way games look on the Wii right now, they look perfectly fine. If they did get anymore advanced and upgraded to HD lots of other characters could be ruined too. I'd hate to see that happen to Mario and Link. I think graphics for a game should make it look like a game. Not super realistic and high tech.

Uncharted 2 on PS3 is a perfect example of that. Sure, it's a beautiful looking game, but scenery in real life doesn't even look that nice. It doesn't feel as much like a videogame when it gets that realistic.

I guess I just think that if Nintendo upgraded to HD they could ruin the gaming experience by making things look to realistic. Certain characters and games are meant to look more cartoony, and less realistic. Is it possible for Nintendo to upgrade to HD without ruining a character's image?

silverfire675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 silverfire675
Member since 2009 • 74 Posts

I think there is a certain point where hd would work. Instead of changing the character model to look all high tech, keep that old school feel but use the extra power for epic gameplay and extremely clean visuals. I like the older feel of the n64 games too. They had a certain friendliness and soul.

The newer HD screens you show feel extremely stylized for marketing...

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

uh...That doesn't define HD.

But if Nintendo got an HD console Developers would actually DEVELOP on it.

Knight-Owl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 Knight-Owl
Member since 2008 • 690 Posts

I couldn't agree more. HD ruined Banjoe/Kazooie and Dr. Eggman.

I think that the graphics for the games on the Wii look awesome just the way they are.

Graphics for games should look like games, when they're too realistic it takes away from the gameing experience. Really, who'd rather play a game that looks like a fantisized version of the real world over an actual game :roll:

Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

Done correctly nintendo(and other companies) can and have done it very well. HD doesn't necessarily mean going super realistic. For example, I LOVE the art style in Muramasa and Boy and his Blob. Could you imagine that artwork in HD? Your eyeballs would try to dry hump the screen.

It is something they will have to do eventually, as HD is really starting to catch on........mainly due to the fact that the TV's are becoming much more affordable than they were even 2 years ago. If you mean a WiiHD? Not sure how that would go, as that could cause a backlash for gamers who already purchased a Wii, and it seems late in the game to do so, but they've surprised me before.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LegatoSkyheart

Done correctly nintendo(and other companies) can and have done it very well. HD doesn't necessarily mean going super realistic. For example, I LOVE the art style in Muramasa and Boy and his Blob. Could you imagine that artwork in HD? Your eyeballs would try to dry hump the screen.

It is something they will have to do eventually, as HD is really starting to catch on........mainly due to the fact that the TV's are becoming much more affordable than they were even 2 years ago. If you mean a WiiHD? Not sure how that would go, as that could cause a backlash for gamers who already purchased a Wii, and it seems late in the game to do so, but they've surprised me before.

Gemini_Red

It'll be just like the DS to DS lite or the DS lite to DSi or the DSi to DSi XL

silverfire675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 silverfire675

Another concern for the next wii system I have is keeping the 4 gamecube ports...those are amazing for the n64 games and such...

Also honestly I like the "Eggman hd" simply cause the legs look better...he looks like a actual villian not a black ball...Just saying.

I do not however like the banjo one...I hate the sqaureness factor it fails hard...

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LegatoSkyheart

Another concern for the next wii system I have is keeping the 4 gamecube ports...those are amazing for the n64 games and such...

silverfire675

what concerns me more is all of the freakin' Games I have downloaded for the System.

silverfire675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 silverfire675

[QUOTE="silverfire675"]

LegatoSkyheart

what concerns me more is all of the freakin' Games I have downloaded for the System.

That could be easily solved by finding out your old Wii's Id number and then linking it to a Wiicount for the second wii. Thats one way I could see it working...

Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

[QUOTE="Gemini_Red"]

LegatoSkyheart

True, but at least with the DS's it felt like an upgrade. WiiHD? I dunno, unless they are putting in a hard drive(even a small one) I probably wouldn't bite. That's just me though. I shrugged off the DSi too, never stopped it from flying off the shelves and the DS lifespan is even longer than the Wii's.

Knight-Owl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Knight-Owl

Also honestly I like the "Eggman hd" simply cause the legs look better...he looks like a actual villian not a black ball...Just saying.

I do not however like the banjo one...I hate the sqaureness factor it fails hard...

silverfire675

He's not a black ball, he's shapped like an egg, hence the name :P

Dr. Eggman in HD just doesn't look like egg man.

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="Gemini_Red"]

Gemini_Red

True, but at least with the DS's it felt like an upgrade. WiiHD? I dunno, unless they are putting in a hard drive(even a small one) I probably wouldn't bite. That's just me though. I shrugged off the DSi too, never stopped it from flying off the shelves and the DS lifespan is even longer than the Wii's.

I'm just referring to Nintendo's next system in general, not an upgraded Wii. Honestly I can't see them making a Wii 2 or Wii HD, they've always made a completely new system.

silverfire675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 silverfire675

[QUOTE="silverfire675"]

Knight-Owl

He's not a black ball, he's shapped like an egg, hence the name :P

Dr. Eggman in HD just doesn't look like egg man.

In that particular screen I would perfer a hd-ish eggman vs the original. Not super stylized but just...touched up a bit...

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

But if Nintendo got an HD console Developers would actually DEVELOP on it.

LegatoSkyheart

How's the weather in Fairytale Land?

Anyway, J_Ford, HD is not a styl3; it doesn't even really determine how good or realistic a game will look. HD is simply a resolution, a number of pixels. Kind of like the difference between a picture taken at 640 x 480 and another one taken at 1440 x 900. The latter would look better on a bigger screen because it would look less pixelated, or less blurry, if you will. One looks much better on a bigger screen but, at the same time, it's the same picture, and they both would look pretty much the same on a smaller screen. Realistic graphics and stuff like that is determined by the number of polygons, lighting effects and other technical mumbo jumbo that the hardware can handle.

Games like Metal Gear Solid and Modern Warfare on the HD consoles are actually displayed at sub-HD resolutions, but they still look great, because all the polygons and lighting effects are there. Hell, Ghostbusters on the PS3 is, if I remember correctly, displayed at 576p, which is the same resolution as PAL Wiis.

I remember reading a story about some blind tests with Blu Ray movies, and the results were that average Joes couldn't really tell the difference between a Blu Ray movie displayed at 720p and the same movie displayed at 1080p. It's not that there's no difference, it's just that the difference can only be appreciated on an abnormally big TV screen.

gulfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gulfo
Member since 2009 • 435 Posts

Anyway, J_Ford, HD is not a styl3; it doesn't even really determine how good or realistic a game will look. HD is simply a resolution, a number of pixels. Kind of like the difference between a picture taken at 640 x 480 and another one taken at 1440 x 900. The latter would look better on a bigger screen because it would look less pixelated, or less blurry, if you will. One looks much better on a bigger screen but, at the same time, it's the same picture, and they both would look pretty much the same on a smaller screen. Realistic graphics and stuff like that is determined by the number of polygons, lighting effects and other technical mumbo jumbo that the hardware can handle.LordQuorthon

This, actually you can get anime with full hd resolution, they look awesome and still are cartoons.

xxmatt125xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xxmatt125xx
Member since 2005 • 1899 Posts
Well what you posted is a change in art style, it totally depends on the art style on how it will look HD is just the resolution.
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#17 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
More detail doesn't guarantee much, but I gotta' admit, I prefer the 2nd Robotnik! HD is inevitable I think, so get prepared to see all the warts on Donkey Kong's butt.
TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
They changed the art style of the characters. It has nothing to do with being "HD".
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

Well, a few things.

One; I commend your sentiment and like that you're thinking that remain SD retains some form of purity. In some senses it's true :)

Two; thosepictures don't represent any "switch" from SD to HD in any form. Those are not game captures. They are not in-game character models. Those are renders for marketing and packaging purposes. Do Banjoe and Kazooie in the 64 game look like they do in that "N64" picture? Negative. Those are promotional and irreivent.

Three; if the HD versions of these games don't play a well as the previous gen games then it has nothing to do with the quality of graphics. It's the game, how it's produced, and the way they programmed it.

And four; yes Nintendo should go HD!!!!! You've played Uncharted 2....imagie if the next Zelda looked as good as that game but played like a kick-ass Zelda adventure. Imagine if Metroid Prime looked as good as Gears of War?....'nuff said :P

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
They changed the art style of the characters. It has nothing to do with being "HD".TheLordMagnus
Exactly. The OP doesn't even know what HD means.
AdjacentLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AdjacentLives
Member since 2009 • 1173 Posts

I mean, look at Banjo & Kazooie for example.

Before/After

Banjo & Kazooie N64Banjo & Kazooie XBox 360

Maybe it's just me, but Banjo & Kazooie looked a lot better when they were on the N64. Honestly they just look ugly now, after being upgraded to HD on the XBox 360. I have nothing against Banjo & Kazooie either, Banjo Tooie is one of my favorite N64 games.

Here's another example, Dr Eggman,

Before/After

Dr Eggman Gamecube/PS2/WiiDr Eggman PS3/XBox 360

I think Dr Eggman looks much better in the first pic. The first time I played Sonic the Hedgehog on PS3 and I saw Dr Eggman, I thought to myself, what the heck did they do to him? He's not supposed to look like that. As far as I know he only looks like that in Sonic the Hedgehog 06, but still. He looked ugly in that game. I'm really glad they didn't make him stay that way permanently. Maybe that's why they kept his original design in every other Sonic game to come out after that one.

I guess it just got me thinking. What if Nintendo does upgrade to HD for their next system? Do you think they'd ruin characters like Mario and Link, the way that Microsoft and Sony ruined Banjo & Kazooie and Dr Eggman?

Here's what Mario currently looks like, in New Super Mario Bros Wii. Now imagine if he was upgraded to HD, he could look something like this...

Before/After

Mario NSMB WiiMario in HD

Of course this is just speculation. But imagine if Nintendo upgraded to HD and Mario looked something like that. That thought just scares me. Honestly I don't think it'd be good for Nintendo to upgrade to HD, not if they'd have the same results as Microsoft and Sony. I would however like to play games in HD if it could be done without ruining the characters or the experience.

Personally I prefer the way games look on the Wii right now, they look perfectly fine. If they did get anymore advanced and upgraded to HD lots of other characters could be ruined too. I'd hate to see that happen to Mario and Link. I think graphics for a game should make it look like a game. Not super realistic and high tech.

Uncharted 2 on PS3 is a perfect example of that. Sure, it's a beautiful looking game, but scenery in real life doesn't even look that nice. It doesn't feel as much like a videogame when it gets that realistic.

I guess I just think that if Nintendo upgraded to HD they could ruin the gaming experience by making things look to realistic. Certain characters and games are meant to look more cartoony, and less realistic. Is it possible for Nintendo to upgrade to HD without ruining a character's image?

J_Ford

This is a joke topic right ? To do accurate comparisons you have to use actual screen shots of the game characters. The characters look a hell of a lot different in game then just some drawn out images. Oh and that last one of Mario isn't what he'd look like HD. Nintendo would still keep the characters looking as animated as possible. And as for Uncharted 2 not feeling like a video game, when did cartoon animations make video games what they are ? Video games are just games you play on screen usually using a controller or keyboard and mouse.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

That HD Mario is scary...

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
uuh... bad art choices (i didn't like the new B&K too, but it's a matter of taste, i guess) doesn't mean "no HD to avoid the cartoony look of some characters". sonic still looks pretty awesome in HD (ignore the quality of the games, focus on the graphics :P) and looking at what assassin's creed can do, i can't wait for a zelda in HD. and remember that blu-ray (or the nearly cloned media nintendo will come up with) isn't just for the graphics. it allows longer games, bigger places and... yea, better graphics. don't worry, mario doesn't have to go realistic to go HD.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts
assuming were talking about wii2 here upgrade the hardware so that its powerful enough to run games at a HD resolution (i.e 720P or higher)? absolutely. to not go HD for their next console would be idiotic to say the least. as for highly detailed textures and such like? yes....its just also very important to get the art direction right. the realistic pic of mario would be something ninty would never bother to strive for. but they could get some better texture work in there certainly. but ninty should not be avoiding HD texture work....its another very useful tool to make their games more enjoyable. i would love to see metroid prime running on something like the crysis engine for example....that would be wonderful. or zelda on the....er....crysis engine....hyrule fields would look awe inspiring. the trick is to get the art direction right and dont just make "make it the most realistic looking game" your top goal.
Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts

mario

this is mario hd (i resized it which makes it look better right click to see it at 1280x960), while it looks better i personally wouldn't upgrade, as i'm fine with sd wii graphics. the next nintendo console i think must have hd/more powerful graphics card, and i think they will.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Wow, tons of peaple in here which have no clue at all xD A higher definition has absolutely nothing to do with the graphical way the devs decide :/ Just because There are some examples like Eggman which lost some color, doesn't mean everyone will. Just look at Prince of Persia, even if it is in HD, it stays colorful/cartoon-style

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BrunoBRS

mario

this is mario hd (i resized it which makes it look better right click to see it at 1280x960), while it looks better i personally wouldn't upgrade, as i'm fine with sd wii graphics. the next nintendo console i think must have hd/more powerful graphics card, and i think they will.

Mckenna1845

that's not really HD... it's just a pic from mario galaxy... with some details missing.

Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts

that's not really HD... it's just a pic from mario galaxy... with some details missing.

BrunoBRS

it's mario galaxy at 1280x960, it very much is hd. that is what wii games would look like if they released a wiihd, as they would still make the games for the wii graphically, and then on the the wiihd they would display at native 720p or 1080p.

we are too far into the gen to release a wiihd, as the ps4/720 will be (probably) releasing in a couple of years, and releasing a wii with hd would be pointless. what people are actually asking for when they say wii hd is a ps3 graphical wii, which is absolutely ridiculous, as nintendo will never dual develop all their games to work on two consoles, you would essentially split the userbase in two (unless they have some dsiware type exclusive games, but again who would buy a console for a few extra games?)

next gen though i think nintendo will graphically rival their next console with the 720/ps4. right now though we should enjoy the wii for what it is.

Knight-Owl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Knight-Owl

[QUOTE="TheLordMagnus"]They changed the art style of the characters. It has nothing to do with being "HD".KHAndAnime

I think he knows exactly what HD means :P

The point I got is that he's simply wondering, if Nintendo did release a HD Wii, could they do so without screwing up the characters image?

The pics prove my point, the image of the characters changed and in HD they're ugly.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] that's not really HD... it's just a pic from mario galaxy... with some details missing.

Mckenna1845

it's mario galaxy at 1280x960, it very much is hd. that is what wii games would look like if they released a wiihd, as they would still make the games for the wii graphically, and then on the the wiihd they would display at native 720p or 1080p.

it's a big pic of mario. there's nothing HD about it.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="TheLordMagnus"]They changed the art style of the characters. It has nothing to do with being "HD".Knight-Owl

I think he knows exactly what HD means :P

The point I got is that he's simply wondering, if Nintendo did release a HD Wii, could they do so without screwing up the characters image?

The pics prove my point, the image of the characters changed and in HD they're ugly.

http://drclaw.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/sonic_the_hedgehog_next-gen_box_art.jpg

nothing wrong with this cartoony character in HD, looks exactly like he always looked like :|

i just wish i could use some nintendo characters as examples >.>

chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

Mario in HD

J_Ford

That's hot.

And in 3-D, when the camera angles...his nose hairs will make you jump out of your seat in terror.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Haha, I think Dr. Eggman looks cool in that pic. But I'm not a huge sonic fan.

Mega_Core-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mega_Core-X
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Nintendo needs to do a lot to win back the gamers they've lost. Upgrading to HD is but a single item on their to-do list. Upgrading to HD would allow developers to create some graphically stunning games, or at least games that are on par visually with Sony and Microsoft, but it still leaves much to be desired. Would high definition graphics alone win back the hardcore gamers? No. What good are high resolution kiddy titles? Who are those going to attract beyond more children and casual gamers? No, HD is not Nintendo's winning strategy. Nintendo will have to do so much more to save themselves at this point. To be perfectly honest I don't think Nintendo will ever go back to being the epic video game presence they once were. Sega are giving up on mature titles selling well on the Wii, and more will follow. So... sure HD would be great, and I would certainly appreciate the effort. I just don't feel it would really change their declining popularity among core gamers.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

[QUOTE="Mckenna1845"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] that's not really HD... it's just a pic from mario galaxy... with some details missing.

BrunoBRS

That Pic is in HD, look at this pic in SD and see the difference

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

[QUOTE="Mckenna1845"]

JuarN18

That Pic is in HD, look at this pic in SD and see the difference

bad or high quality pics have nothing to do with the subject of the topic...

the so called "HD pic" looks exactly like the game on my TV, and i don't even use component cables. explain that.

Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts
The pictures you showed of Banjo Kazooie were not in game graphics. It was just art made by Rare. I do like your Mario comparison. XP
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BrunoBRS

Hell no. We had powerful Nintendo consoles in the past, they were called Gamecube and Nintendo 64. Did their power guarantee their dominace in the console market? Of course not! 3rd parties always found an excuse not to develop games for Nintendo. If Nintendo did create an HD console, who's to say they'll even support it?

InfinityMugen
reason N64 was "abandoned": old, expensive media. CD-based games already existed, and nintendo stayed with cartridges. reason gamecube was "abandoned": again, expensive media and (supposedly) restrictions from nintendo, not to mention the scar from the N64.
KiliK14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KiliK14
Member since 2005 • 84 Posts

[QUOTE="JuarN18"]That Pic is in HD, look at this pic in SD and see the difference

BrunoBRS

bad or high quality pics have nothing to do with the subject of the topic...

the so called "HD pic" looks exactly like the game on my TV, and i don't even use component cables. explain that.

Easy. You've got the fabled WiiHD. Or, you're blind. First of all, without component cables your colour quality would be nowhere near as high as the pictures provided. The difference in picture quality between composite and component is undeniable - and you know it. Second, the picture from before is 'HD'. Some guy used an emulator on his hax PC to upscale Mario Galaxy to HD. Your Wii does NOT output video with that high a resolution. Third, get your eyes checked.

oUndauntedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 oUndauntedo
Member since 2009 • 84 Posts

It would be a great idea for Nintendo to upgrade to a better graphics chip with HD capabilities, and I think you gravely misunderstand what it means. And worse, you used promotional pictures and not in-game screenshots to prove you point. Here's a better comparison:

That's the difference between Modern Warfare Reflex and Modern Warfare, the Wii's graphics are noticeably outdated. The look of your favorite characters being changed has nothing to do with the graphics and everything to do with poor design choices.