Will the Switch do well?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Link456710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Link456710
Member since 2016 • 142 Posts

Probably!:-)

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I think so. I think will start pretty solid in spring and then pick up momentum during the holidays.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4261 Posts

I really think so. But again, that is entirely dependent on the quality of the games and features.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

@outworld222 said:

I really think so. But again, that is entirely dependent on the quality of the games and features.

No kidding. I hope it isn't filled with shovel-ware.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I hope so, I want one, not now since I just got my WiiU, but in the future.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

Too early to tell since I think it depends a lot on it's price and marketing.

I think the biggest reasons why the Wii U failed was because Nintendo did a very poor job marketing it (many casual gamers didn't even know that it was a different console than the Wii) and it was priced too high for what it was and never received any significant price drop (it is ridiculous that I can currently buy a PS4 or Xbox One for cheaper than I can buy a Wii U when the Wii U is older, less powerful, and about to be obsolete.)

If Nintendo does a good job marketing it as something new and unique (I think they have done a good job thus far with the reveal and the Tonight Show segment) and they price it low enough to sell to casual gamers and people that want a unique secondary console to complement their PS4/Xbone/PC, then I think it will be successful.

Link456710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Link456710

I want a lot of hardcore games to be released exclusively for the Switch only.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#8 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@link456710 said:

They have to flood it with games and features. They have to support it and not replace it when Playstation 5 get released.

All Nintendo has to do is have more games on the Switch than the Playstation 4 and they will be fine, but with no games. They will have to drop it like the Wii U.

Link456710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Link456710

@Coolyfett said:
@link456710 said:

They have to flood it with games and features. They have to support it and not replace it when Playstation 5 get released.

All Nintendo has to do is have more games on the Switch than the Playstation 4 and they will be fine, but with no games. They will have to drop it like the Wii U.

Exactly, man!:-)

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9413 Posts

Yeah...

They have all those Nintendo exclusives (yay! I get to buy another set of hardware!).

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4261 Posts

@lonewolf604: let's hope you're right.

Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Matthew-first
Member since 2005 • 3318 Posts

@lonewolf604 said:
@outworld222 said:

Like the past designs?

Link456710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Link456710

@Matthew-first said:
@lonewolf604 said:
@outworld222 said:

Like the past designs?

Which games were shovel-ware in the past?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

@storm_of_swords said:

Too early to tell since I think it depends a lot on it's price and marketing.

I think the biggest reasons why the Wii U failed was because Nintendo did a very poor job marketing it (many casual gamers didn't even know that it was a different console than the Wii) and it was priced too high for what it was and never received any significant price drop (it is ridiculous that I can currently buy a PS4 or Xbox One for cheaper than I can buy a Wii U when the Wii U is older, less powerful, and about to be obsolete.)

If Nintendo does a good job marketing it as something new and unique (I think they have done a good job thus far with the reveal and the Tonight Show segment) and they price it low enough to sell to casual gamers and people that want a unique secondary console to complement their PS4/Xbone/PC, then I think it will be successful.

Underlined is why being competitive requires something of suitable power under the hood. Of course having a great deal of power will not necessarily guarantee a success but when you release a console outside of when the competition is released, you need to be able to justify your price. $349.99 when the 360/PS3 was available with a solid library all at a much lower price was suicide. Even comparing the price with substantially advanced yet pricier competition (that saw major drops in a timely fashion) was suicide.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

I think so.

Here are the issues the WiiU had IMO:

1. The "innovations" were not cheap, making the console relatively expensive for the power, and even many Nintendo games didn't really make good use of the touchscreen.

2. Nintendo's First party was split between the WiiU and the 3DS. Some games never appeared on the WiiU, and others had to use up valuable development capital to be released on the two very different systems.

3. The WiiU offered nothing whatsoever to multiplatform games. It was just another home console except significantly less powerful. So publishers found their games didn't sell and decided to not bother in the future. The fact the WiiU was so underpowered compared to the PS4 and XBOX ONE didn't help.

The switch has the potential to fix all of those problems. The XBOX ONE and PS4 don't allow you to play multi-platform games on the go, the switch does. It's all in the numbers though, and I don't think we know enough about the switch to say for sure. I'm very optimistic though!

CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

I sure hope so! For one, I know I'd buy the Switch along with Breath of the Wild and Pokémon Stars.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Not at all

It's under powered as a console and has zero value as a portable.

We have already seen Nintendo abandon their handheld stance and venture into mobile gaming. The entire reason mobile gaming is a thing is because people need those devices anyway. Very few people want to carry multiple devices around with them.

It badly misses every viable demographic.

Avatar image for smearygoose1768
SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SmearyGoose1768
Member since 2016 • 297 Posts

I think it will sell very good if they market it right and sell it at a reasonable price($250). The Jimmy Fallow appearance made it good to be known to the casual audience that a new and revolutionary(even though other companies have done it before) console will come out. I will be picking one up for launch and I hope in January 12th they reveal some good launch exclusives both from Wii U developers and 3DS plus some 3rd party titles. I really want the Switch and Nintendo as a company do well. So I hope they keep marketing to the mainstream audience like they did with the Jimmy Fallow show. More appearances on these shows like Ellen Page, Late Night etc. as it gets closer to launch will make it more recognizable and known to the audience. More free press and advertisement will only cement the success of the Switch. Hope Nintendo doesn't **** up with the manufacturing process and deliver us enough units to satisfy the appeal. That is of course if they keep making appearances and reveals at high rating shows the mainstream and casual audience watch.

Avatar image for smearygoose1768
SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SmearyGoose1768
Member since 2016 • 297 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Not at all

We have already seen Nintendo abandon their handheld stance and venture into mobile gaming. The entire reason mobile gaming is a thing is because people need those devices anyway. Very few people want to carry multiple devices around with them.

I think you are overly estimating the people that care about specs, teraflops etc. Only the very hardcore gaming community care about that, more people care about usability, convenience and price. I think the Nintendo Swtich perfectably encompasses most of the gaming audience out there, only the most hardcore gamers(which are a tiny fraction of all the gaming revenue) care about specs. Hell I am a "hardcore" gamer and I don't really care about specs as long as there is good games on it but the causal audience will eat up the Switch because it's "revolutionary" even though it has been done before but not at Nintendo's level. If Nintendo manages to get the console or device strong enough to run current gen titles it will sell like hotcakes. The Japan gaming community which is primarily handheld will buy as much if not more than North American and European gamers. The 3DS and handheld gamers will buy it too as long as it has a good battery life. It's modern portable current gen system capable of playing current gen titles and most likely future 3DS titles(developers). The only trick will be convicing the mobile gaming audience to buy it.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Will the Nintendo Switch do well? Nintendo is very late to the tablet gaming party. so the Nintendo Switch is not as a fresh idea. 2009 would have been best for a Nintendo gaming tablet. Third party support has been horrible on Nintendo consoles since the Nintendo 64. The Nintendo Switch hopefully will be easy to develop for. Third party game developers can then make Nintendo Switch versions of their game franchises. A Nintendo Switch version of Elder Scrolls or Dark souls. But not ports of games found on Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Since the Nintendo Switch will not even match the regular PS4 and Xbox one in power. Never mind PS4 Pro or Xbox Scorpio. So an easy to code for Nintendo Switch could help Nintendo hang in a little while longer. Nintendo Switch will end up endure the same game draughts like N64, Gamecube ,Wii and Wii U

So the Nintendo Switch will start strong then die out very quickly The tiny game cartridges and battery life of the Switch will prove to be Nintendo's downfall. Third party developer support will abandon the Nintendo Switch very fast this time around. Plus Nintendo will once again have horrid internet multiplayer gaming. The Nintendo Switch will be too little too late.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@smearygoose1768 said:
@Jaysonguy said:

Not at all

I think you are overly estimating the people that care about specs, teraflops etc. Only the very hardcore gaming community care about that, more people care about usability, convenience and price. I think the Nintendo Swtich perfectably encompasses most of the gaming audience out there, only the most hardcore gamers(which are a tiny fraction of all the gaming revenue) care about specs. Hell I am a "hardcore" gamer and I don't really care about specs as long as there is good games on it but the causal audience will eat up the Switch because it's "revolutionary" even though it has been done before but not at Nintendo's level. If Nintendo manages to get the console or device strong enough to run current gen titles it will sell like hotcakes. The Japan gaming community which is primarily handheld will buy as much if not more than North American and European gamers. The 3DS and handheld gamers will buy it too as long as it has a good battery life. It's modern portable current gen system capable of playing current gen titles and most likely future 3DS titles(developers). The only trick will be convicing the mobile gaming audience to buy it.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "usability, convenience and price."

Price we have no idea about, no reason to argue that yet.

Usability and convenience I would say are some of it's problems. Having to carry around the Switch PLUS a mobile device isn't convenience, it's a hindrance. The other thing is that while a mobile device has the ability to tap into everything because it's a phone the Switch is a stupid device. There's no online store, no online gaming, and no browser or apps while it's being used as a portable device.

As a home console the Switch isn't that user friendly with having to dock the unit and then rearrange the controller. Add in the solid state games and it's more of a Frankenstein's Monster of a device.

I think it's also important to highlight the overall weakness of the Switch and how the power the unit has differs greatly between the times it's mobile or docked. That is only going to cause headaches for the developers and that means less third party support.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 iandizion713

@Megavideogamer said:

Will the Nintendo Switch do well? Nintendo is very late to the tablet gaming party. so the Nintendo Switch is not as a fresh idea. 2009 would have been best for a Nintendo gaming tablet. Third party support has been horrible on Nintendo consoles since the Nintendo 64. The Nintendo Switch hopefully will be easy to develop for. Third party game developers can then make Nintendo Switch versions of their game franchises. A Nintendo Switch version of Elder Scrolls or Dark souls. But not ports of games found on Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Since the Nintendo Switch will not even match the regular PS4 and Xbox one in power. Never mind PS4 Pro or Xbox Scorpio. So an easy to code for Nintendo Switch could help Nintendo hang in a little while longer. Nintendo Switch will end up endure the same game draughts like N64, Gamecube ,Wii and Wii U

So the Nintendo Switch will start strong then die out very quickly The tiny game cartridges and battery life of the Switch will prove to be Nintendo's downfall. Third party developer support will abandon the Nintendo Switch very fast this time around. Plus Nintendo will once again have horrid internet multiplayer gaming. The Nintendo Switch will be too little too late.

Uniting Nintendo's handheld and home console developers will solve that issue.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I hope so. It seems like Nintendo will offer the only next gen handheld and I need an alternative to mobile games on the go

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Solaryellow

@smearygoose1768 said:

If your first sentence was correct, the Wii U wouldn't be in its current predicament.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 iandizion713

@Solaryellow: Wii U has everything to do with that first sentence. Nintendo fans dont care about that shat, so why they tried to cater to them type games is silly. Wii U had shatty first party games its whole first year. It was a disgrace.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Solaryellow

@iandizion713 said:

@Solaryellow: Wii U has everything to do with that first sentence. Nintendo fans dont care about that shat, so why they tried to cater to them type games is silly. Wii U had shatty first party games its whole first year. It was a disgrace.

"Only the very hardcore" seems to encompass the majority of gamers, no? If they didn't give a hoot in hell about power the Wii U would have been a success. Gamers do care about power and specs. As evident with Nintendo, only a small percentage do not.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 iandizion713

@Solaryellow: No it doesnt. Theyre stating Nintendo fans just love games, they dont care about tech. Wii U didnt have good first party games in year one, so Nintendo fans were confused. They saw all the third party that caters to those hardcore tech freaks and felt the console wasnt for them. Wii U has horrible messaging.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Solaryellow

@iandizion713:

Confused? Really Mesume? The console was junk and the overwhelming majority of gamers looked elsewhere. People wanted power, functionality, etc.., that was offered on the PS4/X1.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iandizion713

@Solaryellow: Nintendo fans dont care for that stuff. Hence why 3DS destroyed Vita. Nintendo fans just want fun games, they dont care for graphical gimmicks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5920bf77daa85

@Solaryellow said:
@iandizion713 said:

"Only the very hardcore" seems to encompass the majority of gamers, no? If they didn't give a hoot in hell about power the Wii U would have been a success. Gamers do care about power and specs. As evident with Nintendo, only a small percentage do not.

If you ignore the PSP (who's successor is about on par with the WiiU's success) almost the entirety of handheld systems sold have come from one company.

AFAIK, the 3DS sells per year around what the WiiU sold in total. Nintendo customers don't care about specs.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Solaryellow

@Cobra_nVidia said:
@Solaryellow said:
@iandizion713 said:

If you ignore the PSP (who's successor is about on par with the WiiU's success) almost the entirety of handheld systems sold have come from one company.

AFAIK, the 3DS sells per year around what the WiiU sold in total. Nintendo customers don't care about specs.

The only thing Nintendo does correctly is handheld consoles. That has never been up for debate nor should it be. Home consoles though? Not for a while. Why? People want power, apps, socialization, etc..,

If people did not care about power, the Wii U would have done exponentially better but the market spoke out against it causing the Wii U to become an irrelevant and obsolete piece of tech.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iandizion713

@Solaryellow: Again, Wii U struggled because of poor messaging. The system didnt cater to people who dont care about power enough. Look at its first year of games. Its all third party games that cater to tech junkies. A Nintendo device cant survive on this. Its must cater to Nintendo fans with strong 1st party support.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33  Edited By deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

No.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5920bf77daa85

@Solaryellow: I am hoping (and assuming) that the switch is really a portable console that is powerful enough to output 1080p to a television. Nintendo doesn't just dominate in the handheld market, their handheld business dominates their home console business. Why would they fight in a market they can't win?

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

Rumors has it that the dock might have some hardware to help scale performance to 1080p. It makes sense, otherwise it'd be just a glorified HDMI converter.

My only concern is Nintendo or the developers pulling some BS like releasing games that only exclusively work while docked. And I don't think it's far fetched for them to do that too as performance increase was their main reason for having New 3DS exclusive games.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By iandizion713

@flipin_jackass: If theyre smart they wont. Thats is one of my issues with Wii U. Its a complicated device control and feature wise. Sometimes the games require certain remotes like Wiimote, Nunchuk, Sensor Bar, Gamepad, etc. Sometimes you can play off screen, sometimes you cant.

This was why i was happy to find out the Switch wont be using both screens at same time and wont be backward compatible with older stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
@flipin_jackass said:

Rumors has it that the dock might have some hardware to help scale performance to 1080p. It makes sense, otherwise it'd be just a glorified HDMI converter.

My only concern is Nintendo or the developers pulling some BS like releasing games that only exclusively work while docked. And I don't think it's far fetched for them to do that too as performance increase was their main reason for having New 3DS exclusive games.

The dock will for sure have power and fans. Rumours are that the GPU clocks double when docked which allows it to output at a higher resolution.

The CPU, however, is not affected - being extremely underclocked to avoid heat and save battery. So while it is possible I guess technically that a game might be able to run docked but not undocked (if it is EXTREMELY gpu bound) that would defeat the purpose of the switch.

Nintendo is going for the market they are dominating. Makes sense to me.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Solaryellow

@Cobra_nVidia said:

@Solaryellow: I am hoping (and assuming) that the switch is really a portable console that is powerful enough to output 1080p to a television. Nintendo doesn't just dominate in the handheld market, their handheld business dominates their home console business. Why would they fight in a market they can't win?

Nintendo can not win w/o trying but the company used to win quite handedly and that's the real kick in the balls. There was a time many years ago when the company was doing everything correctly. Arcade cabinets, merchandise, marketing and home consoles were at the peak but then the company made extreme blunders making it look as if it (Nintendo) was satisfied with being mediocre.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It's hard to say, as we don't know enough yet.

I think handheld gamers will be thrilled, but I do wonder about the typical console only market and 3rd party support as the unit being underpowered can affect ports.

Price is certainly vital as well.