Will the next nintendo handheld support optical madia disc??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Resimaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Resimaniac
Member since 2008 • 683 Posts
Cartridges are a bit old school now I think...
Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts

Hope not, and I doubt it. That just means shorter battery and longer load times.

Don't want that in my handheld.

Resimaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Resimaniac

Hope not, and I doubt it. That just means shorter battery and longer load times.

Master-Thief-09
yeah but Meadia disc's(Which is the Future) means better Graphics...
kuabarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 kuabarra
Member since 2006 • 295 Posts
No it doesn't! A media disk just holds data for the game, they can fit the SAME data on a flash memory device, wich BTW will ussually load much faster than an optical media disk. Who told you optical disks=better graphics? That makes zero sense.
MOCHIRON_MAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MOCHIRON_MAN
Member since 2008 • 1359 Posts
[QUOTE="Master-Thief-09"]

Resimaniac

yeah but Meadia disc's(Which is the Future) means better Graphics...

Discs are no longer the future.

Sure, they still make disks a helluva lot, but the future of data storage, is actually cartridges. Indirectly, they are the future. Instead of storing them on cartridges, and disks, it'll be on micro chips. They only use disks because it is the next generation of whatever they call it. They still use cartridges, because I believe they haven't fully unlocked their potential yet.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
No thanks. Cartridges are more compact, durable, etc.
Razlses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Razlses
Member since 2009 • 103 Posts
Hope not, Disc means + loadings, - Baterry life and - Features for Games such as solar sensor or move sensor, the only good thing is that hold more stuff but the way the things is soon cardtigs will have the capacity.
MOCHIRON_MAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MOCHIRON_MAN

No thanks. Cartridges are more compact, durable, etc.Head_of_games

That's another reason.

And if any of you are wondering why they stopped making VHS, it is because they are indestructable. Inexpensive, durable, and last forever.

They switched to disks, so they can make more money off of them breaking, getting scratched, errors, and a whole list of things that are bad.

Slashfan10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Slashfan10
Member since 2008 • 1242 Posts
Right I agree with the whole durability issue. Having a disc and optical drive just means more parts to malfunction. I believe they should stick with what they have going and maintain their reputation which has been in my opinion durability.
Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
+ discs are not the future. They'll stop running games off the disc next gen if you ask me. (but use discs to install games)
piratedrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 piratedrunk
Member since 2003 • 341 Posts

[QUOTE="Head_of_games"]No thanks. Cartridges are more compact, durable, etc.MOCHIRON_MAN

That's another reason.

And if any of you are wondering why they stopped making VHS, it is because they are indestructable. Inexpensive, durable, and last forever.

They switched to disks, so they can make more money off of them breaking, getting scratched, errors, and a whole list of things that are bad.

This is entirely not true. VHS are not indestructable, do not last forever, and use analog storage which translates to a poor quality signal subject to all kinds of interference. Digital media is by far the way to go regardless of its storage medium. That said cartridges are definitely the way to go in my opinion.

TacoJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 TacoJelly
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

I would love to see a strictly hard disk based handheld.

One of the things i hate about handhelds are carrying all the crap around, downloading just makes more sense.

Avatar image for MrStreetFighter
MrStreetFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MrStreetFighter
Member since 2005 • 244 Posts
[QUOTE="MOCHIRON_MAN"]

[QUOTE="Head_of_games"]No thanks. Cartridges are more compact, durable, etc.piratedrunk

That's another reason.

This is entirely not true. VHS are not indestructable, do not last forever, and use analog storage which translates to a poor quality signal subject to all kinds of interference. Digital media is by far the way to go regardless of its storage medium. That said cartridges are definitely the way to go in my opinion.

Not to mention that the Earth's Magnetic Field (or any magnet for that matter) will eventually force VHS tapes to lose whatever data is on them years later.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#14 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

The DSi will not support discs. I am fine with cartridges. Discs belong in consoles and PC's.

Resimaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Resimaniac

The DSi will not support discs. I am fine with cartridges. Discs belong in consoles and PC's.

nintendoboy16
DSi is a DS I'm talking for the Next nintendo system
Gatcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#16 Gatcho
Member since 2008 • 51 Posts
yeah ... this was the only time that I heard that VHS tapes are indestructible, durable, and last forever. I have hundreds of VHS tapes here and most of 'em are already unusable. not only is the video quality poor ... but they are prone to problems like getting stuck inside the player ... and hassles like having to wait for 5-10mins to fully rewind the darn thing. and if you use the same tape over and over again ... you'll be lucky if it will last you a year. and if i remember it correctly, you can purchase around 3 blank DVDs at the price of a single VHS SP tape ... so not only are they more prone to wear and tear ... but they're more expensive as well. on topic ... i'm also not all that convinced that optical media is the way to go for the next nintendo console. it will just cause shorter battery life ... and longer load times. i think pumping the cartridges capacity is a better idea.
MOCHIRON_MAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MOCHIRON_MAN
[QUOTE="piratedrunk"][QUOTE="MOCHIRON_MAN"]

That's another reason.

MrStreetFighter

Not to mention that the Earth's Magnetic Field (or any magnet for that matter) will eventually force VHS tapes to lose whatever data is on them years later.

Actually, I'd have to say that they are indestructable, unless if you intentionally break them, but we have some VHS tapes, with the data still on them, from 1977. they still provide the same image as they did when it came out.

And the part where one said Digital media is the way to go, I'd have to dis agree, but only half on that matter, because Digital medai, which is usaully in the form of disks, particularily movies on DVD's, almost all the movies I've seen on DVD had some sort of defect on the disk that it would stutter, like the picture is frozen, than it get back on track. I've never had this happen whith VHS, and if I ever did, it was because of the settings on the player.

Analog storage, can be better than digital storage in some cases, not all though, but some.

Of course, magnets can erase data on tapes because that's how the data was put on it in the first place, but no one should be that stupid do put a magnet near a VHS tape. Course' this won't happen to DVD's, so that's an advantage.

But either way you think, what I said earlier, is exactly why they stopped making VHS tapes. They lasted to long, you could beat em' and bash em' but they'd usually still work. Plus they were very inexpensive to make. It was very uncommon to find errors on tapes, but usually it was the fault of the machine putting on the data.

gamehippieabc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 gamehippieabc
Member since 2008 • 291 Posts

No it doesn't! A media disk just holds data for the game, they can fit the SAME data on a flash memory device, wich BTW will ussually load much faster than an optical media disk. Who told you optical disks=better graphics? That makes zero sense.kuabarra
Good point!

xtremetcx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xtremetcx
Member since 2008 • 112 Posts
NO!! I don't want load time!!
piratedrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 piratedrunk
Member since 2003 • 341 Posts
[QUOTE="MrStreetFighter"][QUOTE="piratedrunk"]

MOCHIRON_MAN

Actually, I'd have to say that they are indestructable, unless if you intentionally break them, but we have some VHS tapes, with the data still on them, from 1977. they still provide the same image as they did when it came out.

And the part where one said Digital media is the way to go, I'd have to dis agree, but only half on that matter, because Digital medai, which is usaully in the form of disks, particularily movies on DVD's, almost all the movies I've seen on DVD had some sort of defect on the disk that it would stutter, like the picture is frozen, than it get back on track. I've never had this happen whith VHS, and if I ever did, it was because of the settings on the player.

Analog storage, can be better than digital storage in some cases, not all though, but some.

Of course, magnets can erase data on tapes because that's how the data was put on it in the first place, but no one should be that stupid do put a magnet near a VHS tape. Course' this won't happen to DVD's, so that's an advantage.

But either way you think, what I said earlier, is exactly why they stopped making VHS tapes. They lasted to long, you could beat em' and bash em' but they'd usually still work. Plus they were very inexpensive to make. It was very uncommon to find errors on tapes, but usually it was the fault of the machine putting on the data.

Again, I entirely disagree here. I still have a VHS player and almost all the movies have worn out over the years and run terribly. I have taken very good care of them too. It is largely because they use moving parts inside the tapes that wear out over time. and actually one of the main reasons optical discs are used is because of how inexpensive they are to make over the bulky wasteful VHS tapes. In contrast, I take just as good of care of my dvds and they still have the exact same great picture and sound quality because they store digital information which under any normal circumstances will give you the same signal every time. I admit they can have reading errors but that is usually do to misuse or a bad machine reading them. I am not trying to be argumentative I just think you are taking a conspiracy theory a little far lol. That said as horribly as they run now, I love my VHS collection.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

No thanks. Cartridges are more compact, durable, etc.Head_of_games

Exactly my thoughts.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts
no disks because they get scratched easily, make the games cost higher,and make longer load times.