Will The Games for the Wii U work on the Wii ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yanco69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 yanco69
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Hi =D yeah so as the title said, will the games that will come out for the Wii U, like Super Smash Bros., will it be compatible with the 'old' Wii ? I really hope it will.. because Nintendo kinda disappointed me with the 3DS.. i mean i really want the new Zelda game, Ocarina of Time.. but i don't want to buy the 3DS just for 1 game.. and apparently the new games for the 3DS won't be compatible with the DSi. I'm sorry if this question was already asked =$ Thanks in advance.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34682 Posts

Are you serious?

Games designed for completely different hardware will of course not work on older hardware.

emirblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 emirblade
Member since 2008 • 904 Posts

I don't think so. The WiiU will be a graphical and a horsepower upgrade, different hardware, from the original Wii.Third parties that wanted to port games to the Wii couldn't because it was weak,supposedly the Wii U fixes that so I don't think we can play WiiU games on the Wii.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
Is this a joke? Answering the CORRECT question, yes, you can play Wii games on the Wii U.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Nintendo kinda disappointed me with the 3DS.. i mean i really want the new Zelda game, Ocarina of Time.. but i don't want to buy the 3DS just for 1 game.. and apparently the new games for the 3DS won't be compatible with the DSi. I'm sorry if this question was already asked =$ Thanks in advance. yanco69

Think about what you just said. If it were possible to play 3DS games on your old DS, then what is the point in buying a 3DS?

The 3DS is a new system, and its primary function is to play next generation games e.g the new Zelda game you want.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
[QUOTE="yanco69"]Hi =D yeah so as the title said, will the games that will come out for the Wii U, like Super Smash Bros., will it be compatible with the 'old' Wii ? I really hope it will.. because Nintendo kinda disappointed me with the 3DS.. i mean i really want the new Zelda game, Ocarina of Time.. but i don't want to buy the 3DS just for 1 game.. and apparently the new games for the 3DS won't be compatible with the DSi. I'm sorry if this question was already asked =$ Thanks in advance.

Yeah assuming you are being serious I'll answer. Game systems are not usually forward compatible. Once a new system is out it is usually much more powerful with more features and usually a different storage format. Any new systems games won't be compatible with an old system and that goes for any company. When Nintendo designed the Wii they probably didn't think to put in the components and disc drive that are necessary to play Wii U games, although I guess we don't know for sure.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

To put it as straight forward as possible, no. The Wii can not play Wii U games. Why because its games are designed for the Wii U hardware and not the Wii. I'd imagine you could put a Wii U disc into a Wii, but the Wii will not be able to read it. Just like if you were to remove that little plastic bump on the 3DS game cartridges, the DS will not be able to read it even though it can now fit into the slot. Look at it like this, Just like the PS2 cant play PS3 games, the Wii will not be able to play Wii U games.

But, the Wii U can play Wii games, and it is rumored that GameCube games will be avialable on the Wii U's shop.

The Wii U is HD and dual screen from the looks of it, even if the Wii could read some of the Wii U's disc, they would be impossible to play if they make use of the Wii U's touch screen controller.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Alright then, looks like we've got a number of answers, and we've got everything covered. Good job gang :P

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

How old is TC?

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
because Nintendo kinda disappointed me with the 3DS.. i mean i really want the new Zelda game, Ocarina of Time.. but i don't want to buy the 3DS just for 1 game.. and apparently the new games for the 3DS won't be compatible with the DSi. yanco69
Are you... serious...? That's like being dissapointed that all the features in a new car can't also be installed in your old car.
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Does your N64 play Wii games???

No, mine doesn't either

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

[QUOTE="yanco69"]because Nintendo kinda disappointed me with the 3DS.. i mean i really want the new Zelda game, Ocarina of Time.. but i don't want to buy the 3DS just for 1 game.. and apparently the new games for the 3DS won't be compatible with the DSi. Sgt_Crow
Are you... serious...? That's like being dissapointed that all the features in a new car can't also be installed in your old car.

i like this answer the best.

Hoennhyruleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hoennhyruleguy
Member since 2005 • 332 Posts
TC's questions made me angry.
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts
[QUOTE="yanco69"]because Nintendo kinda disappointed me with the 3DS.. i mean i really want the new Zelda game, Ocarina of Time.. but i don't want to buy the 3DS just for 1 game.. and apparently the new games for the 3DS won't be compatible with the DSi. Sgt_Crow

thats a bad example, cause my 1933 ford is boss with the turbo charger and the spinnerz
martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Yes.

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

Does your N64 play Wii games???

No, mine doesn't either

LaytonsCat

This made me IRL LOL :lol:

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Well I know some Game Boy Color games worked on the original Game Boy but no, Wii U is completely new console in all but name. Same with 3DS.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

I was playing Super Mario Galaxy on my NES the other day. worked fine for me so idk what u guys are talking about?

majorpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 majorpheonix
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
well will xbox 360 games work on my xbox, will ps3 games work on my ps2. of course not u dumb ass knee grow
Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Nozizaki
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

No, and you'd break either the universe or the Wii trying.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
"New" Zelda? And yes, ut will play WiiU games. They will release a software patch that will allow "for the first time" Forwards Compatibility with HD as DLC. I can't wait to use that new Tablet Controller to stream The New game called Jet Force Gemini and Glover! Its gonna be great!
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

No, and you'd break either the universe or the Wii trying.

Nozizaki
WOOHOO! Somebody else is calling it the Universe! :D
Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Other way around. Wii games WILL work on the Wii U but Wii U game WONT work on the Wii that wouldjust be stupid for Nintendo to do.

3DS isnt a disappointment you say you dont want to get it for 1 game? Uh hello Starting Sept. 9th the 3DS starts to gain its momentum. Starfox 64 3D comes out Sept. 9th. Nothing amazing in October :( November we get Super Mario 3D Land!!! then December Mario Kart 7!!! And Kid Icarus sometime before the year os over. November or December.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

I doubt this is going to be another case of some Gameboy Color games working on a regular Gameboy. They'll most likely only work on the Wii U. I haven't heard this from any source, but it seems very unlikely they'll work on the Wii. Wouldn't want to get your hopes up.