Wii Vertical lines in Wii Menu using HD component cables

This topic is locked from further discussion.

j03yAsunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 j03yAsunder
Member since 2006 • 941 Posts

I recently bought a 26" Westinghouse LCD HD-TV, and some Nintendo Brand Wii component cables this past weekend. After I hooked everything up I started to notice these faint vertical lines in the menu, and these weird Rectangle shaped boxes in the Wii message board. It pretty much happens on anything that is bright white (Vertical lines), for example the text box in Paper Mario. Has anyone got this? Cuz I have never noticed this at all before on my regular TV which is weird.

I'm not sure if its the component cables or the Wii. I also don't really think its an overheating issue cuz I'm not getting any of those weird static pixel lines or those weird Colored pixels that everyone has been talking about. Has anyone else had this problem, or at least know what this is, or if its normal? Any info what so ever would be helpful... Thanx in advance...

Gangans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Gangans
Member since 2007 • 1273 Posts

If your lcd tv was cheap, it could have a dodgy component input, or a very poor signal scaler, leading to poor quality image quality. Try running your wii with regular AV cables. I have also found artifacts on my smaller cheaper lcd tv when using component with the wii. It could just be your tv.

Doesn't westinghouse specialize in fridges and kitchen appliances? What the hell are they doing building tv's? They probably outsource the production to some dodhy chinese company and stick their brand on it. See if it says 'made in china' on the back somewhere.

keano3333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 keano3333
Member since 2006 • 99 Posts
have you changed your settings to 480p?
j03yAsunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 j03yAsunder
I tried using my regular A/V cables and the lines are gone. I'm not too sure if its what you said about it being the TV or the cables. I'm gonna find out by using it on my brothers 42" RCA DLP and see if the problem persists. Thanx for your response.
j03yAsunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 j03yAsunder

have you changed your settings to 480p?keano3333

I had done all that, changed to 480 p and to 16:9.

j03yAsunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 j03yAsunder
I called NINTENDO and told them about my problem, they weren't sure of what it could be and told me to go ahead and send it in so they could check it out. I'm just gonna do that to play it safe, I don't wanna have my system screwed up when all the good games start coming out. I just hope I get it back before MP3: Corruption comes out.
titanium667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 titanium667
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Have you received an answer from Nintendo yet? Mine started having the faint vertical lines yesterday, even in the Wii menu!
NiteX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 NiteX
Member since 2003 • 1810 Posts
On the Wii Menu yes it is designed that way to have very faint lines. It's not your TV or cables its the way the menu is designed. The only reason you can now see them is because you're using 480p and the picture is sharper. You will also notice these lines on the Wii loading screen when going to the menu. Its Nintendo's fault for not making a better designed 480p menu. Don't worry you will never see these lines in games though. I really don't see the big deal about it.
j03yAsunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 j03yAsunder

Have you received an answer from Nintendo yet? Mine started having the faint vertical lines yesterday, even in the Wii menu! titanium667

They never did give me an answer really, but they told me it prolly had something to do w/ my TV. I lowered the sharpness on my TV and they aren't as visible any more.

On the Wii Menu yes it is designed that way to have very faint lines. It's not your TV or cables its the way the menu is designed. The only reason you can now see them is because you're using 480p and the picture is sharper. You will also notice these lines on the Wii loading screen when going to the menu. Its Nintendo's fault for not making a better designed 480p menu. Don't worry you will never see these lines in games though. I really don't see the big deal about it.NiteX

Yeah I kinda figured that was the problem, but some games like Zelda and even Wii Sports Baseball it's appeared in the sky. I've even heard it comes out in Strikers, but I don't know yet cuz I haven't played it. Just kinda annoying but I'm just gonna ignore it. Someone told me it had to do w/ the colors they used. Hopefully they fix this problem later w/ an update.

sitcommaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sitcommaster

Yeah, I've experienced problems with my Component AV Cable too. Except mine is much worse. Anything that shows a predominantly white screen (Wii message board, and Wii Shop Channel), causes the image to lose fidelity and bend like crazy until the signal cuts out. Even on a normal screen like the System menu which has a dark background, or the Wii channel menu itself, there is slight wabbling of letters and such - it's barely noticable, but it's there. (On 480p)

My TV is a 26-inch Hitachi LCD HDReady set. I have 2 Component AV cables, they both are Nintendo's brand, but still, I have major problems. Having said that, Wii Sports has only very minor problems, and looks great.

maverick_41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#11 maverick_41
Member since 2007 • 1195 Posts
Yea i have seen them to like when i click on msc in the disc channel and the logo comes up with start or wii menu at the bottom and some time on the wi-fi portion of the game. but that is about it.
titanium667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 titanium667
-UPDATE-

I sent my Wii to the Nintendo repair center with a detailed description of the problem

with the vertical static lines. After about a week I received a brand new console! No more lines!

Thank goodness it was still under warranty. Great job Nintendo! :D
THOverkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 THOverkill
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

This is strange, because I too have these lines, I was going to pull the Wii apart to see if the heatsink needed re-thermal pasting, but I tried a brand new Wii the other day on my TV and that had the same lines.

My cable is only a cheap one of ebay, so maybe it's my cable. My TV is a 37" LG.

alucard1438

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 alucard1438
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I just bought a wii yesterday and set it up and there were vertical lines on my tv. Everything setup correct but of course I double checked. I returned the wii today and brought home the new one and set it up. NO more vertical lines. I think this is an issue that Nintendo needs to look into.