Wii U's GPGPU Squashes Xbox 360, PS3; Capable Of DirectX 11 Equivalent Graphics

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wii-U-GPGPU-Squashes-Xbox-360-PS3-Capable-DirectX-11-Equivalent-Graphics-47126.html

well I don't know how legit this article is, but its always nice to hear positive things about the Wii-U. I'm very excited, and if it is capable of DX11 and is only $300 for a basic that's a steal.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Doesn't really matter since most 3rd party games for the U will be ports from the 360 and PS3. It's cool for 1st party games though.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
That article basically says nothing. Sure, the GPU sounds great but that post didn't back up it's title well.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

That's not that big of an achievement. Every GPU released for the last couple of years has been DX11, even crappy ones. Not to mention the Wii U doesn't even use Direct X and the article is basically saying it has equivalent features. "DX11 equivalent graphics" has no means as the power of the GPU (not DX11) is what decides the quality of graphics it can handle. The bottom line is the GPU in the Wii U sucks in terms of modern hardware. YEah, it beats out the 360 and ps3 GPU, but those are terrible by today's standards.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#5 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Kinda reminds me of the iPhone 5 people going, "Bigger screen! 4g!" Yeah, this has been enjoyed by Android people for years...
thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

We are not allowed to compare systems in this forum. Bring it up in System Wars and especially the Wii U sticky there.

JLCrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JLCrogue
Member since 2004 • 6042 Posts

I'm sure the Wii U's graphics card and maybe its processor are great compared to the current gen, but as soon as the PS4 and the Xbox 720 (or whatever it's called) come out their graphics will blow the Wii U's graphics out of the water. Then again, who knows how long we'll have to wait until they come out. I'm just glad that since I go to Westwood College I get to go to E3 for free next year. :)

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Toxic-Seahorse

I'm sure the Wii U's graphics card and maybe its processor are great compared to the current gen, but as soon as the PS4 and the Xbox 720 (or whatever it's called) come out their graphics will blow the Wii U's graphics out of the water. Then again, who knows how long we'll have to wait until they come out. I'm just glad that since I go to Westwood College I get to go to E3 for free next year. :)

JLCrogue
Due to cost issues, the next xbox and playstation won't be sporting great GPUs either. Yeah, they'll be better than the Wii U's, but still not good by modern hardware standards.
foxfacer2d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 foxfacer2d2
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

Modern hardware standards are well pretty much useless anyway judging the fact that it is too expensive to be developing games above the graphics of current gen retail games. Besides, the current gen hardware is'nt slowing down the developers it is still a comfort spot. Modern hardware is a change and change is not welcomed lightly. The wii u delivered it perfectly even though it did not reach the "current hardware standard".

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Where's jaysonguy at with his Jaysonisms when you need him?
GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#11 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9736 Posts

We are not allowed to compare systems in this forum. Bring it up in System Wars and especially the Wii U sticky there.

thom_maytees
You can talk about the Wii U in the Primary Games section.
dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

thom_maytees
All Wii U related threads in SW's get locked so you cannot actually bring it up.
Selkc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Selkc
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts
the latest screenshots look better to me...
Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts
Well lets do a guestimate. 2 gb of ram vs 512 mb, probably DDR3. More will most likely be freed up for games with optimizations 32 mb of edram vs 10 mb on 360 3mb of cache on CPU vs 1mb GPU at minimum 2 generations a head of HD twins To me it looks roughly 3-5x the performance given different points in the generation as optimizations and developmental improvements occur.
Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts
DirectX11 compatibility is not indicative of anything really. All it really says is they aren't using ancient technology. The thing with the WiiU is that even if it is considerably more powerful than the PS3 or the 360 it's quite possible the games will look the same or even worse depending on how many resources are thrown at rendering that second screen. Depending on how the second screen is utilized rendering that plus the TV image could be pretty similar to rendering two games at once.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Doubt will see anything, I thought the wii was capable of graphics better then the original Xbox, but if Iook at 90% of the library, only first parties come close.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

DirectX11 compatibility is not indicative of anything really. All it really says is they aren't using ancient technology. The thing with the WiiU is that even if it is considerably more powerful than the PS3 or the 360 it's quite possible the games will look the same or even worse depending on how many resources are thrown at rendering that second screen. Depending on how the second screen is utilized rendering that plus the TV image could be pretty similar to rendering two games at once.Ilikemyname420

Some launch games are able to run at 1080P and 60fps even with the use of the gamepad.These games have slightly better textures, shadows and other things.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9585 Posts

Regardless, the graphical upgrade is what is going to help Nintendo out of just a "kids" environment. I truly believe that companies NOT on board with Nintendo during the Wii will not be able to doubt the success of the U. This will create hype on ALL fronts making the U game library much more solid then the Wii.

Undead_Yakuza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Undead_Yakuza
Member since 2010 • 222 Posts

[QUOTE="JLCrogue"]

Toxic-Seahorse

Due to cost issues, the next xbox and playstation won't be sporting great GPUs either. Yeah, they'll be better than the Wii U's, but still not good by modern hardware standards.

Oh, you have some information on Microsoft and Sony's new consoles? Impressive considering no specs, information or other details have been released.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Doubt will see anything, I thought the wii was capable of graphics better then the original Xbox, but if Iook at 90% of the library, only first parties come close.Fightingfan

That's because noone outside 1st paries really bothered with the system.

Devs like Factor 5 and Rare managed to rival Xbox graphics on the GC and Wii is better than GC.

Xbox did have a better GPU, tho.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nameless12345

Anyway, here is the Wii U GPU:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/embedded/graphics-processors/Pages/radeon-e6760-discrete-gpu.aspx

amd-radeon-e6760-opencl-gpu.jpg

It's about on-par with a HD 6670 and two to three times stronger than the GPUs in 360 and PS3.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

http://www.amd.com/us/products/embedded/graphics-processors/Pages/radeon-e6760-discrete-gpu.aspx

It's about on-par with a HD 6670 and two to three times stronger than the GPUs in 360 and PS3.

nameless12345
Won't be a threat to my crossfire 6950s, but I doubt a 6670 would provide 1080p @ 60 frames for call of duty. I don't see it happening since I can't even get that with crossfire(Treyarch games). That's a great step in the right direction though for Nintendo.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Fightingfan

Won't be a threat to my crossfire 6950s, but I doubt a 6670 would provide 1080p @ 60 frames for call of duty. I don't see it happening since I can't even get that with crossfire(Treyarch games). That's a great step in the right direction though for Nintendo.

Well, your twin 6950s cost more than the Wii U after all.

If they want to keep the price within reasonable spheres, they can't go for "cutting-edge" tech.

BLOPS2 will be a 360 port so 1080p@60fps shouldn't be a problem.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Toxic-Seahorse
That can't be the picture of the actual GPU seeing as ATI isn't a thing anymore. It would be branded AMD.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nameless12345

That can't be the picture of the actual GPU seeing as ATI isn't a thing anymore. It would be branded AMD.Toxic-Seahorse

Maybe they're keeping the ATi branding on the chips themselves.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Fightingfan

Black Ops 2 is confirmed to be 1080p @ 60 FPS on Wii-U. Also the Wii-U is probably less expensive then your crossfire 6950s, so it shouldn't be a threat.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]That can't be the picture of the actual GPU seeing as ATI isn't a thing anymore. It would be branded AMD.nameless12345

Not likely. Where did you get that picture? It's not in the link...
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]That can't be the picture of the actual GPU seeing as ATI isn't a thing anymore. It would be branded AMD.Toxic-Seahorse

Not likely. Where did you get that picture? It's not in the link...

I Googled "E6760".

There is no official picture of the Wii U chip and likely won't be (untill someone tears it appart and posts pics of it's guts).

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilikemyname420"]DirectX11 compatibility is not indicative of anything really. All it really says is they aren't using ancient technology. The thing with the WiiU is that even if it is considerably more powerful than the PS3 or the 360 it's quite possible the games will look the same or even worse depending on how many resources are thrown at rendering that second screen. Depending on how the second screen is utilized rendering that plus the TV image could be pretty similar to rendering two games at once.super600

Some launch games are able to run at 1080P and 60fps even with the use of the gamepad.These games have slightly better textures, shadows and other things.

All the first party launch titles are going to be 720p and a number of those don't seem to be very demanding games (nsmb2). Assassin's Creed 3 is said to be 720p and be missing some lighting and shading effects from the other two consoles.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Toxic-Seahorse
[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="Ilikemyname420"]DirectX11 compatibility is not indicative of anything really. All it really says is they aren't using ancient technology. The thing with the WiiU is that even if it is considerably more powerful than the PS3 or the 360 it's quite possible the games will look the same or even worse depending on how many resources are thrown at rendering that second screen. Depending on how the second screen is utilized rendering that plus the TV image could be pretty similar to rendering two games at once.Ilikemyname420

All the first party launch titles are going to be 720p and a number of those don't seem to be very demanding games (nsmb2). Assassin's Creed 3 is said to be 720p and be missing some lighting and shading effects from the other two consoles.

Only due to them not having enough time to port it over according to the devs.
Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

nameless12345
That is most certainly not the Wii GPU. Unsubstantiated rumor with the only thing connecting the Wii U and that GPU is the TDP.
shearMario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 shearMario
Member since 2003 • 2134 Posts
[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="Ilikemyname420"]DirectX11 compatibility is not indicative of anything really. All it really says is they aren't using ancient technology. The thing with the WiiU is that even if it is considerably more powerful than the PS3 or the 360 it's quite possible the games will look the same or even worse depending on how many resources are thrown at rendering that second screen. Depending on how the second screen is utilized rendering that plus the TV image could be pretty similar to rendering two games at once.Ilikemyname420

You do realise that information is incorrect, it was true for the E3 demo but when released it will have everything the other two systems have and be in 1080p http://mynintendonews.com/2012/07/23/third-party-wii-u-launch-games-will-run-at-1080p/