Wii U Sensor Bar?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Is Nintendo using the exact same sensor bar? I could not find anything on it, but it really needs an improvement.

It has to use infrared that much we know, but it needs some improvements if any could be made.

Look at issues the first sensor bar had. It was prone to interference from any heat source specifically the sun. So the expectation would be for Nintendo to make a sensor bar that combats this flaw. The sensor bar did not work being a reasonable distance away from your television. So increase the range.

This is not a flaw Nintendo should take lightly. The sensor bar was and could still be a major barrier to entry. Anytime a consumer has to rearrange the room for the product they bought is bad for Nintendo. Nintendo is trying to and will always try to make synonymous intuitive products and the sensor bar is in direct contradiction with this. How many Wii owners thought the controllers were not working well when really the problem was that the sun was shining into the room. I have had to help many people with this problem and the frequency of their gaming time went up.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
The Wii U has a port for the sensor bar. But the sensor bar had no problem at all. It just emits two infrared lights. It's not a sensor at all. The Wiimote is, and it was the Wiimote that could have trouble detecting the infrared lights if some other light source interfered.
guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 guitarist4292
Member since 2006 • 503 Posts
The Wii U has a port for the sensor bar. But the sensor bar had no problem at all. It just emits two infrared lights. It's not a sensor at all. The Wiimote is, and it was the Wiimote that could have trouble detecting the infrared lights if some other light source interfered.Wintry_Flutist
Yeah, that's what I was going to say. Intereference really can't be fixed on the sensor bar end because the Wii Remote is really what's doing all of the "sensing." That said, I did see a video where some guys increased the range significantly by using a larger infrared source on either end. I'm not sure if that has any drawbacks but it's worth noting, I guess...
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#4 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
It appears it's only used for retro-compatibility with Wiimotes as it is clear the tablet controller does not need it. Also, it appears to me the tablet itself has a sensor bar. Could it be possible that we can play Wii games streamed there :) In any case it is clear the Wiimote+ will be the standard for alternative/complementary controls for Wii U so the sensor bar will be needed there too Regards
Pichoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pichoro
Member since 2003 • 197 Posts
It appears it's only used for retro-compatibility with Wiimotes as it is clear the tablet controller does not need it.enrique_marrodz
I dunno. On the e3.nintendo.com site, there are images of the Wii U controller that look to me like they have the IR camera in the front; are we sure it doesn't have one?
PoindeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PoindeJ
Member since 2005 • 686 Posts

[QUOTE="enrique_marrodz"]It appears it's only used for retro-compatibility with Wiimotes as it is clear the tablet controller does not need it.Pichoro
I dunno. On the e3.nintendo.com site, there are images of the Wii U controller that look to me like they have the IR camera in the front; are we sure it doesn't have one?

Yeah, the Wii U controller actually does have a "sensor strip" like existing Wii Remotes. Whether or not people will actually use it is another question.

Pichoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pichoro
Member since 2003 • 197 Posts

[QUOTE="Pichoro"][QUOTE="enrique_marrodz"]It appears it's only used for retro-compatibility with Wiimotes as it is clear the tablet controller does not need it.PoindeJ

Yeah, the Wii U controller actually does have a "sensor strip" like existing Wii Remotes. Whether or not people will actually use it is another question.

Is that what people are calling a "sensor strip"? The IR camera? I thought they were referring to the black strip the regular camera is sitting in on the same surface as the touch screen, implying that that black strip was like a mini sensor bar for who-knows-what.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

It's the same sensor bar.

but!

WM+ is required for the system. No standard wiimotes. And most WM+ games don't even use the sensor bar, they use just the advanced motion tech to track a pointer. Way more precise.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

but!

WM+ is required for the system. No standard wiimotes. And most WM+ games don't even use the sensor bar, they use just the advanced motion tech to track a pointer. Way more precise.

goblaa
Don't you need the sensor bar to calibrate M+?
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 goblaa

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

but!

ThePlothole

Don't you need the sensor bar to calibrate M+?

Nope. Games like wiisports use the pointer to help you so you know you're pointing forward, but it's not actually using the pointer to do it. So long as the wiimote's level, it will calibrate correctly. Actually, it can calibrate however the developer wants it too. They get to choose the neutral calibration position. It could be pointing at the floor if they want it too.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Thanks for clarifying that, but it does not change much. Better range and possibly unforseen solutions to heat interference should still be exlpored. Every person I know who had a Wii and wasn't an avid gamers encountered problems with it. I live in an area where it is sunny most of the year.

I guess a partial solution to lack of fidelity in the IR is that it's use is significantly decreased with this new system.

wes008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 wes008
Member since 2009 • 802 Posts

goblaa

Not to be a Doubting Thomas, but, where was this confirmed? (even if you say Yahoo I will believe you)

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 goblaa

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

wes008

Not to be a Doubting Thomas, but, where was this confirmed? (even if you say Yahoo I will believe you)

Not set in stone but, link

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts

but!

goblaa
No support for the original remote would seem like a bit of an F U from Nintendo... especially when the tech demos for Wii U like "Find Mii" had people using their remotes sideways and in no way would the tech of the M+ controller be needed for those.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 goblaa

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

but!

No support for the original remote would seem like a bit of an F U from Nintendo... especially when the tech demos for Wii U like "Find Mii" had people using their remotes sideways and in no way would the tech of the M+ controller be needed for those.

I'm pretty sure they were using wii remote pluses.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

Is Nintendo using the exact same sensor bar? I could not find anything on it, but it really needs an improvement.

It has to use infrared that much we know, but it needs some improvements if any could be made.

Look at issues the first sensor bar had. It was prone to interference from any heat source specifically the sun. So the expectation would be for Nintendo to make a sensor bar that combats this flaw. The sensor bar did not work being a reasonable distance away from your television. So increase the range.

This is not a flaw Nintendo should take lightly. The sensor bar was and could still be a major barrier to entry. Anytime a consumer has to rearrange the room for the product they bought is bad for Nintendo. Nintendo is trying to and will always try to make synonymous intuitive products and the sensor bar is in direct contradiction with this. How many Wii owners thought the controllers were not working well when really the problem was that the sun was shining into the room. I have had to help many people with this problem and the frequency of their gaming time went up.

thedude-
I completely agree with you. I too have helped friends with problems with like the sensitivity settings of the sensor bar. Hell, every time I play Wii on the mornings the sun is so bright (even with curtains) that I have to tone down the sensitivity (meaning that I have to sit even closer to the television).