Wii-U not reading certain discs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

I've come across a rather grating problem on my fall break.

I've just plugged my Wii-U in after leaving it by itself for a couple months, and rented two Wii-U games from GameFly recently - Zombi-U and Batman: Arkham City - but neither of them want to work. Zombi-U gets stuck on the splash screen when I select it on the Wii-U menu. Batman gets a little further, but when it reaches the start menu, I keep getting the same "Disc can't be read" error screen. If I keep removing and inserting the disc like it instructs, it eventually says the disc has been removed and makes me shut off the system.

The strange thing is this is only happening to these two games at the moment. I also have NintendoLand and NSMBU, and both seem to run fine. It's also not a problem with the discs themselves because neither of them are dirty or scratched and I cleaned them several times. Could this be a problem with something inside the Wii-U, or am I just unlucky enough to have rented two faulty discs at the same time?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

try laying the wiiU horizontal...it reads discs better that way...

did you update your wiiU? theres been many updates...

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By 1PMrFister

@KBFloYd:

I'll give laying it horizontal a shot. However, I can't get my system to update on my home internet. I've had trouble making it work with the internet ever since I brought it home.

EDIT: Nope, laying it horizontally had no effect.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Check the outer edges of the discs that wont work. I've noticed that if there's any knick or cut the Wii U disc will not play. A few months ago I rented Lego City Undercover and had the same problem as you, while all my other discs played fine.

That leads me to believe that the Wii U is very particular about the quality of discs it will accept and play, which means rented discs will be hit or miss.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@Bigboi500: I'm pretty sure the Wii U is just fine in regards to sensitivity to scratched discs. Disc drives use error correction algorithms to "guess" the missing info lost to scratches, as long as the scratches are radial they aren't incredibly harmful.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 1PMrFister

@Bigboi500:

I just checked, and I did notice that the Batman disc had a small bump on one of the edges. Zombi-U had a bump as well, but it was smaller. Neither of the games I own have these, but I really don't think a knick that small would stop a game from running. Then again, I've never seen rounded-edge discs work before.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 1PMrFister

Okay, Zombi-U is working now, but Batman still gives me the same error. I'm not sure what's happening, but it's little more possible that I may just be suffering from a faulty disc. I'll make sure to let GameFly know about this.