Wii U Info and Discussion Thread - (Lots of Games, Pics and Vids!)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#301 Posted by trugs26 (7527 posts) -

Nintendo direct on now in Japanese.
I'm watching at gonitnendo:
http://www.gonintendo.com/

#302 Posted by GamerEye (1607 posts) -

Nintendo direct on now in Japanese.
I'm watching at gonitnendo:
http://www.gonintendo.com/

trugs26

Dat unboxing.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
#303 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30973 posts) -

Friend Codes officially a thing of the Past

Nintendo revealed today that multiple user IDs could be stored on the Wii U, allowing a household of gamers to have their own personal data on a single console. A bold step forward, but there's been some confusion as to what these IDs mean -- will they signal the end of friend codes?

We went straight to the source, Nintendo (obviously), to get a straight and clear statement on the issue. Are friend codes a thing of the past? According to what we were told, it would appear so!

"Our plan is replace Friend Codes with a much more user-friendly Account ID system," a spokesperson told us, "which employs user-created account names."

There you have it, a definitive answer on the friend code situation. Ridiculous and unwarranted strings of numbers .... YOOOOOU'RE OUTTA HERE!

#304 Posted by Sepewrath (29945 posts) -
Whatever, same difference.
#305 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
AC3, Zombi U and NSMB2. I'll get through those and then pick up some other games. Sepewrath
I'm pretty much the same, minus ZombiU. I'm going to wait for a price drop and reviews.
#306 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

I decided it'd be good to provide some updates from today.

Wii U Console Pics:

928.jpg

916.jpg
917.jpg
918.jpg
920.jpg

Video Goodies:

• Nintendo Direct Japan Miiverse Video Breakdowns and Subbed
  • Nintendo of America WaraWara Plaza and Wii U Chat Video
  • GameSpot Wii U Unboxing
  • Giant Bomb Wii U Unboxing
  • What's Good and Bad About The Wii U Before You Even Turn It On
  • Tons of new NSMBU footage
  • Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge Launch Trailer

Dat Info:

• Nintendo Direct Japan Summary
  • Iwata Asks Miiverse Summary
  • New ZombiU Details
  • Wii U Internet Requirements and Parental Controls
  • Wii to Wii U Data Transfer Details

Other Information:

• Wii U Pro Controller battery charge time is about 2.5 hours, lasts 80 hours (wow)
  • Friend Codes RIP - It's entirely account based now with Nintendo Network ID
  • TV Remote set up is apparently super easy (IGN)
  • Nintendo Land comes in an actual case, not a paper sleeve

IGN Review Schedule:

Nov. 13
Ninja Gaiden 3
ZombiU

Nov. 15
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land Wii U

Nov. 18
Assassin's Creed III
Darksiders 2
Just Dance 4
Rabbids Land
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Sing Party
TankTankTank

I tried to cover mostly everything. If I missed something sorry!

#307 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

Haziqonfire delivers the goods.

Thank you sir.

#308 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
No Problem. Another Iwata Asks about Miiverse, speaking with the developers. The previous one was with producers, you can read that here and there's a summary of that above.
#310 Posted by GamerEye (1607 posts) -

Good info.

I wonder what Jolly has been up too since the last update...?

#311 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
ZombiU Preview. Looks cool.
#312 Posted by Rouke2 (25 posts) -
Japanese site confirms eshop downloads on most firstwave titles for Japan: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/software/index.html 5th iwataasks about wii u (browser development & usage): http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/internet-browser/0/0
#313 Posted by Sepewrath (29945 posts) -
Really looking forward to play Zombi U, its going to be tough deciding whether to play through AC3, NSMB or Zombi U first. Something I would like to see added to the browser in a future update, is the ability to send videos. It would be great for the community, to create gameplay vids and then post them online. Nintendo could even create a website solely for it and by taking out any barrier between the system and the website. I think it would see a lot of use, for things like speedruns, skill challenges, walkthroughs etc.
#314 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

Really looking forward to play Zombi U, its going to be tough deciding whether to play through AC3, NSMB or Zombi U first. Something I would like to see added to the browser in a future update, is the ability to send videos. It would be great for the community, to create gameplay vids and then post them online. Nintendo could even create a website solely for it and by taking out any barrier between the system and the website. I think it would see a lot of use, for things like speedruns, skill challenges, walkthroughs etc. Sepewrath

If it could do that, it would be akin to something like FRAPS on the PC. That would be dominating.

Unsure if it will happen though. Where will the processing power come from? Granted there is 1GB of RAM set aside for the OS, but recording dem videos and writing dat data to storage requires the machine to do lots of maths. CPU/GPU probably too busy rendering the game.

I really like your idea man I'm just not sure it will happen on Wii U.

#315 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

Thanks for the update :D

Wondering where that update from Jolly is though :P

#316 Posted by Crossel777 (6176 posts) -

So.. I'm wondering.. This whole 12 user accounts per Wii U and the ability to allow eshop downloads to be played by all. Is this equivalent to that of game sharing on the PS3? Which I don't even think is considered legal. Or am I reading this wrong? Because it just seems very odd that Nintendo would allow something like this..

#317 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30973 posts) -

Don't know if this has been posted yet but here is details on the Wii U Backwards Compatibility.

-Wii software (disc software, WiiWare, VC) must be accessed within the Wii mode and won't appear on the Wii U's menu.
-All software will run in 480p/480i and not in HD.
-Wii games (including VC) will not run on Game Pad.
-You must download all WiiWare/VC through the Wii Shop Channel, not to be confused with the Wii U's eShop. It's unclear whether or not you'll have to re-download all of your old downloadable games through the shop or if they'll come over in the Wii To Wii U transferring.
-WiiConnect24 will not work on Wii U.

Wii U Wii BC

#318 Posted by thom_maytees (3669 posts) -

A user from the NeoGAF forum has fully translated the Wii U FAQ from Nintendo's Japanese site.

#319 Posted by Sepewrath (29945 posts) -

So.. I'm wondering.. This whole 12 user accounts per Wii U and the ability to allow eshop downloads to be played by all. Is this equivalent to that of game sharing on the PS3? Which I don't even think is considered legal. Or am I reading this wrong? Because it just seems very odd that Nintendo would allow something like this..

Crossel777
Its not unusual to allow digital content to be shared across multiple accounts on a single system. That's how it works on the 360 and I believe the PS3(only had one account on that system) It wouldn't have made sense if they DIDN'T do it that way. No one is going to buy DLC six times for six different accounts. And its not the same as game sharing, that's when you use the accounts to do it on multiple systems.
Avatar image for superfalcon1234
#320 Posted by superfalcon1234 (260 posts) -

A user from the NeoGAF forum has fully translated the Wii U FAQ from Nintendo's Japanese site.

thom_maytees

I still cant find if the wii u will support a messaging service while playing the game without pausing it ....

#321 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
Some of the Wii U menu/application music has been added onto YouTube. The Mii Maker Studio piece is fantastic. Sounds like it's straight out of SMG/Zelda.
#322 Posted by Sepewrath (29945 posts) -

At first it sounds like something out of DKC, then it starts to sound like a remix of a theme out of SMB3.

#323 Posted by thom_maytees (3669 posts) -

Information and pictures of the Wii U's rounded discs:

Link

#324 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

Cant wait to stay out infront of Target :D

#325 Posted by superbuuman (6087 posts) -

Are the WiiU games price higher than the same counterparts version (360, PS3) in US/Europe?..Just looking at the price over here in Australia its price higher. :(

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/wii-u/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii/674200 -$89 (WiiU)

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/ps3/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii/672917 - $79 / same for X360

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/pre-order/assassins-creed-3/668500 - $99 (WiiU)

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/ps3/assassins-creed-3-special-edition/663655 -$69/ same for X360

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/pre-order/batman-arkham-city-armored-edition/668509 - $99 (WiiU)

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/ps3/batman-arkham-city-game-of-the-year/671504 - $44/ same for X360

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/wii-u/tekken-tag-tournament-2/673996 - $99 (WiiU)

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/ps3/tekken-tag-tournament-2-anz-limited-edition/665516 -$69/ same for X360

#326 Posted by gameofthering (11131 posts) -

Are the WiiU games price higher than the same counterparts version (360, PS3) in US/Europe?..Just looking at the price over here in Australia its price higher. :(

superbuuman

In the UK they seem about £5-£10 extra

#327 Posted by Sepewrath (29945 posts) -
Don't the individual retailers set the prices in the UK? Anyway, got AC3 and Scribblenauts today. One of the people in GS, said that the Best Buy in my area had sold 100 Wii U's today, to the people who pre ordered. Who knows if that is true, but if it is, we'll find out soon enough I guess.
#328 Posted by superbuuman (6087 posts) -

[QUOTE="superbuuman"]

gameofthering

In the UK they seem about £5-£10 extra

Thanx, hmm..UK will probably still end up cheaper than Australia, due to the strong currency overhere atm..so it looks like import time. Ain't supporting the locals if they're gonna be stupid with pricing.

#329 Posted by Sepewrath (29945 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gXJew8JXjYg

Wii U distance test

Don't know how accurate the test is, or how accurate it would be for each individuals situation. But working up to 35 ft and from two stories down and outside is pretty impressive.

#330 Posted by superbuuman (6087 posts) -

means I can still play whilst sitting in the toilet..oh yeah! :lol:

#331 Posted by shearMario (2134 posts) -

means I can still play whilst sitting in the toilet..oh yeah! :lol:

superbuuman
Just confirms how awesome the Wii U is...
#332 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30973 posts) -

So I can play Wii U in my living room if the Wii U is in my bedroom. Because I used to control the Wii and Wavebird controllers when I was in my bedroom when the System was in the living room.

#333 Posted by yokofox33 (30774 posts) -

I know most likely I'll get my system on Sunday from Gamestop, but I just don't trust them. I paid the whole thing off already and they've assured me I'm getting one, but there's still that eency bit of doubt in my mind. I'll probably show up a little before they open to make sure I'm good position to get my system.

#334 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -
I paid off my WiiU and part of Persona 4 Golden Edition today. I was surprised to get $8.83 for Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 each and almost 17 for Dead Island. The girl working said they have my WiiU in the back! Tease.
#335 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11763 posts) -

Someone is doing a livestream, well they where. Apparently they're going to sleep and will "brb"

http://www.own3d.tv/messaffect/live/400562

#336 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30973 posts) -

How to Link Wii U to Club Nintendo account

To register your Wii U system, link your Club Nintendo account to your Wii U. Then come back to Club Nintendo and complete the registration survey to earn 160 Coins.

* Please note that Wii U systems do not qualify for warranty extensions.

Linking Instructions

1. Visit the Nintendo eShop on your Wii U console.

2. In the Nintendo eShop menu, select the Settings/Other button.

3. Select the Club Nintendo Account button.

4. Enter your Club Nintendo account User Name and Password and press Link.

#337 Posted by thom_maytees (3669 posts) -

Confirmed USB hard drives that will work with the Wii U.

A translation regarding USB hard drives from Nintendo's Japanese site provided by NeoGAF:

USB devices confirmed to work with Wii U

Wii U has internal memory used for saving download software and save data, but the amount of memory can be increased through connecting a USB device to Wii U.

The following USB HDDs are confirmed to work on Wii U.

Buffalo HD-LBU3-C Series
HD-LB2.0TU3-BKCHD-LB2.0TU3-WHC
HD-LB1.0TU3-BKCHD-LB1.0TU3-WHC

Buffalo HD-LBU3 Series
HD-LB2.0TU3J
HD-LB1.0TU3J

Toshiba CANVIO DESK Series
HD-EA20TKHD-EA20TW
HD-EA10TKHD-EA10TW

We will continue to publish what USB devices are confirmed to work on Wii U in the future.

- The above devices are confirmed to work on Wii U, but we cant guarantee that they will work, so please understand in advance.
- Please be sure to read the USB hard disks instruction manual when planning to use a USB hard disk.
- The above devices specifications may change at each makers will. Depending on the changes made, there is a possibility that they may not correctly operate on Wii U.

USB hard disk usage warning

- Wii U supports self-powered*1 USB hard disks.

- Bus-powered*2 USB hard disks will be introduced at a later date once we finish verifying which work.

- Depending on the game played, we do not recommend using USB flash memory with games as there are strict limitations on the amount of times data can be overwritten.

- Only one USB hard disk may be connected to Wii U at a given time.

- The amount of a USB hard disks data that may be used on Wii U is limited to 2 TB.

- USB hard disks must be formated to be used on Wii U. At that time, all data and software saved on the hard drive will be erased. Please backup what you can beforehand.

- USB hard disks used on one Wii U may not be used on another Wii U or other device. To use an already used USB hard disk on another device or Wii U, a second reformat must be performed. In such an instance, all data saved to the USB hard disk will be erased.

- USB 3.0 compliant hard disks can be used, but they will only operate at USB 2.0.

- Please contact the maker of your USB hard disk when it is clear that there is a defect or malfunction with the USB hard disk.

- If data is lost, or data is unable to be written due to some malfunction with the USB hard disk, Nintendo will be unable to recompensate.

- Nintendo is not responsible for any direct or indirect damage that may occur when the USB hard disk is connected to the Wii U.

1. Self-powered hard drives are types of hard drives that receive power from a houses outlet.
2. Bus-powered hard drive are types of hard drives that receive power from the device it is connected to through USB cableNintendo

#338 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11763 posts) -
Apparently GS gave ZombiU a 4.5. Review is only viewable via the Xbox Gamespot app at the moment though.
#339 Posted by trugs26 (7527 posts) -

Apparently GS gave ZombiU a 4.5. Review is only viewable via the Xbox Gamespot app at the moment though.Kaze_no_Mirai

It did indeed. Too much cricket bat it seems.

#340 Posted by trugs26 (7527 posts) -

Here's the link:

http://m.uk.gamespot.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii/videos/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-capture-the-flag-gameplay-movie-6400269

Edit: Doesn't seem to be working anymore. There was a video review.

#341 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30973 posts) -

Here are pics of the Wii U's Data Management. Click on the images to go to the full sized image.

Data Management 1

Data Management 2

I'm happy that Nintendo has finally stopped using Blocks with the Wii U.

#342 Posted by jeremiah06 (7215 posts) -
So I've been hearing about day 1 updates... For a guy without internet how screwed am I?
#343 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11763 posts) -
I'm happy that Nintendo has finally stopped using Blocks with the Wii U.Nintendo_Ownes7
Agreed, blocks made it a little more complicated to know exactly how much you had left. It's more convenient to use KB, MB, GB etc.
So I've been hearing about day 1 updates... For a guy without internet how screwed am I?jeremiah06
The biggest thing you would miss out on is Wii backwards compatibility. The rest of the functions are those that would require an internet connection such as Miiverse and eShop.
#344 Posted by jeremiah06 (7215 posts) -
[QUOTE="Kaze_no_Mirai"]
So I've been hearing about day 1 updates... For a guy without internet how screwed am I?jeremiah06
The biggest thing you would miss out on is Wii backwards compatibility. The rest of the functions are those that would require an internet connection such as Miiverse and eShop.

Seriously? That was a big selling point for me... I never owned a wii so ssbb was a launch purchase for my wii u...
#345 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11763 posts) -
Seriously? That was a big selling point for me... I never owned a wii so ssbb was a launch purchase for my wii u...jeremiah06
Unfortunately yes. Nintendo shipped the Wii U without it. Maybe you could take it over to a friends house just for the update. Theres also the possibility that Nintendo will ship some upcoming games with the update on the disc.
#346 Posted by jeremiah06 (7215 posts) -
[QUOTE="jeremiah06"]Seriously? That was a big selling point for me... I never owned a wii so ssbb was a launch purchase for my wii u...Kaze_no_Mirai
Unfortunately yes. Nintendo shipped the Wii U without it. Maybe you could take it over to a friends house just for the update. Theres also the possibility that Nintendo will ship some upcoming games with the update on the disc.

Ok so as far as the gamepad goes how much of the wii u can be used from that screen? Like if I took it to the library could I update it without it being hooked up to a tv?
#347 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11763 posts) -
[QUOTE="jeremiah06"] Ok so as far as the gamepad goes how much of the wii u can be used from that screen? Like if I took it to the library could I update it without it being hooked up to a tv?

That is an interesting question. I know you can boot up the Wii U from the gamepad and if I remember correctly from Gametrailers' live stream working your way through the settings is all done in the gamepad (ie: changing resolution, adjusting internet connections etc) so theres a good chance you can do that without the need for a TV
#348 Posted by jeremiah06 (7215 posts) -
[QUOTE="Kaze_no_Mirai"][QUOTE="jeremiah06"] Ok so as far as the gamepad goes how much of the wii u can be used from that screen? Like if I took it to the library could I update it without it being hooked up to a tv?

That is an interesting question. I know you can boot up the Wii U from the gamepad and if I remember correctly from Gametrailers' live stream working your way through the settings is all done in the gamepad (ie: changing resolution, adjusting internet connections etc) so theres a good chance you can do that without the need for a TV

Well I'm getting the system... So I'll report back with my findings...
#349 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -
Do I need to update the wiiu to play it or just to add features? My Internet sucks it takes a day to get 1gb
#350 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11763 posts) -
Only if you want to add the features, you can play without updating