Wii Sports Resort - AWESOME article, read it NOW

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts

I know from experience awesome readings result in 90% useless reactions, and 10% good discussion, but the 10% are worth it and, who knows, this thread might be an exception. So, I bring this article from IGN, "The Magic of Wii Sports Resort", which basically shows how with gameplay only and subtle design choices, you end up with a deep experience that couldn't be replicated with any other media - unlike most games out there.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/101/1013119p1.html

The Magic of Wii Sports Resort

Better than Halo.

by Michael Thomsen

I remember the disappointment of seeing Wii Sports for the first time. It was a few days prior to E3 2006 and, after much speculation about virtual reality and the immersive new adventures about "chosen one's," the true face of Wii turned out to be Playmobil Tennis. It was a bleak time in my life. I had been back from Peace Corps for a few months, was basically unemployed, and was hungry for narrative escapism. I wasn't going to be able to escape from anything with Wii Sports tennis.

Since then Wii Sports has blown past every other game in existence, including Tetris and Nintendo's other pack-in, to become the best-selling game of all time. The mundane familiarity that was disappointing for me, became a boon for everyone else. Wii Sports was an aesthetic keyhole through which the civilian world could peer into videogames and feel like they belonged. It revolutionized 3D game control, proving that an analog tether to physical action is more important than having an analog tie to your character's movement.

Like its predecessor, Wii Sports Resort comes in an earnest and approachable package. It imagines the world in huge swatches of green, blue, and white. Sunsets are flushed with warmth and color, while the nights are invitingly alive underneath the electric blanket of moonlight. Wii Sports has been handily criticized for being nothing more than a tech demo, five abstractly connected games that arranged in cold menus and High Score lists. Wii Sports Resort has imagined an actual place in which all of its play can happen.

Since Miyamoto co-opted King Kong and the damsel in distress to pull players into game worlds it has become de rigueur to hang progression along a linear narrative line. Progression in videogames has been about unlocking new items and more challenging set pieces while simultaneously learning more about an invented mythology. Wii Sports threw out any reference to story and said that analog mechanics in a suggestively designed environment was enough.

Wii Sports Resort is a dramatic evolution from that concept. While offering more than twice as many games as the original, all enhanced with the nuance and sensitivity of Wii Motion Plus, Resort remains a comparatively obscure collection of pastimes. Tennis and Baseball are immediately more recognizable and universal than archery and wakeboarding. They need more audience justification than the foundational sports in the original; they need a King Kong and a princess in a castle.

For Resort, this comes in the form of WuHu Island. The opening moment of the game has you skydiving into this island, first seen in WiiFit, establishing it as the interactive hub in which the game is going to take place. You'll still navigate to all the different games and modes through a menu screen, but there's a noticeable overlap in the setting for all the activities. You'll fight waves of sword attackers on the same bridge that you will have shot arrows over. You'll see the volcano and lighthouse looming in the horizon while you scoot through the ocean on a Jet Ski or bike through a mountain pass.

Resort adds to the geographic association with the Air Sport section where you're given five minutes to explore the island in a plane. You can collect small icons that offer one and two sentence factoids about eighty different points of interest on the island. At first glance, this felt like throw-away mode. Something that was included as a low-key palate cleanser in between some of the more demanding challenges. The longer I played the more I found myself identifying experiences I'd had in previous session as I flew over them. Flying through the small forest outside of town, I remembered the sword fight I had there. Flying over the pond halfway up the mountain, I could see the patterns I had cut through the water in my canoe.

While I had been busy trying to outdo other people's scores in individual events, I found there was an embedded history in the world that I didn't even realize I was keeping track of. But I was. Games like Fallout 3 and Grand Theft Auto IV have been praised for their emergent narratives, putting players in open-ended worlds where they are free to pursue their own agendas. Resort offers an even more sophisticated example of gameplay as narrative.

There are no accent-twinged monologues nor is there a spiderweb of side quests, instead there is a record of all the interactive events you've done in the game and an ability to pull back to a god's-eye view point to see how it all fits together. Instead of pre-planned quest lines or wrought performances from voice actors, the drama is self-determined. You created your own set of objectives within the rules of the game world, you came up with a strategy for accomplishing them, and you're given a frame of reference to wallow in the after-effects. It's not literature crammed into a hidden locker, nor cinema draped across a linear corridor crawl; it's pure game narrative.

What makes Resort so much more impressive is the sheer variety of different game mechanics, and the unparalleled depth contained in each one. Most games are created from the outside in. A genre is settled upon, a core mechanic is delineated, and then ten hours of variation on that mechanic are implemented. In 3D Mario's, the mechanic is collection and exploration, in Gears of War it's aiming and shooting. The variety necessarily exists in the levels because the mechanics remain comparatively static throughout.

In Resort, the mechanics are secondary to the overall theme. It's a vacation game. It's not about archery or wakeboarding. It's about escape. Nintendo has created a grab bag of tangential mechanics sprung from the central themes of escapism and relief form a world without the thankless constraints of daily life. Compare the mechanical elements involved in archery to those found in Gears of War, for instance.

In Gears you must find a safe location to anchor yourself so that you can move into the next phase of aiming and shooting. You'll need to think tactically about where you want to go and how long you can afford to stay there before you become vulnerable, but the objective in most every case returns to moving an absracted cursor around the screen and keeping it aligned with an enemy character.

In Resort's archery you hold the Wii remote vertically, using muscle memory and coordination from your back through to your wrist to keep the aiming cursor aligned. You hold a button to enter the firing mode, pull back the nunchuk at varying speeds to affect how quickly you zoom in on the target, all while keeping the left side of your body rigidly focused, and then release the Z button to fire. Instead of being able to spray bullets or having aim assist to make up for inaccurate aim, Resort engages your whole upper body in an analog fashion.

It's subtle enough that your breathing can throw off your aim. With an analog stick, you use your right thumb and can always disengage to freeze the aim in place. There are no such moments of disengagement in Resort, you must consciously control your whole body from start to finish. To offset for the lack of tactical movement you're given wind resistance, increasing distance, and targets that move from left to right.

There are eleven other systems in the game, each with their own dramatic sense of connectedness. While you rarely have control of your character's movement, you always have control of the action in an exacting way. In other 3D games you can move your player wherever you want, but the actions are tethered to a choice of a few different button presses that trigger pre-scripted animations. The player is less the actor and more the director. With Resort you participate, your actions are the narrative, they become the depth of the experience.

What's even more striking is the use of Mii's to flesh out the background of WuHu Island. This has been established precedent on Wii since the original Wii Sports, but Resort uses the Mii mingle option to import Mii's from around the world to build out a communal backdrop. The more I played, the more I began to notice strange new Mii's that I hadn't created and weren't part of the standard array of Nintendo-created competitors built into the disc. Kanye West was suddenly appearing in the stadium during my sword fights. Heidi Montag was now cycling beside me as I tried to cut around a bend in a mountain road.

I had no idea where they came from or who had created these plasticine reductions, but some other human playing Resort had. The backdrop of my own escape from reality was the caricatured jewels of other players' imaginations. It was like a series of discoveries, getting a surprising note in a bottle from some other person in a language that was simplistic and unintelligible. Why would someone create a limbless Heidi Montag and send her to populate my Resort town? Nintendo has given its players the emergent tools to express their crudest personality fixations and allowed them to build a decorative backdrop from that social netting. The result is a simulated environment that feels surreal, connected, and perpetually in-flux.

Wii Sports Resort, like its predecessor, is one of the greatest games ever made. In every aspect, it offers an experience that could only happen in game. Its systems are carefully balanced, fantastically sensitive, and take place in a narrative web that rewards continued play. While it lacks a clear plot, dramatic scripting, characterization, and impassioned acting, those are all artifacts from older media. None are intrinsic to the art of expression through interaction.

Never before in the history of games has there been a more imaginative collection of mechanics, nor a more perfectly attuned environment in which they can be experienced. Never before has there been a control mechanism that offers as much depth and pure analog sensitivity. Never before has the unadorned moment of action had so many different factors come to weigh on it just as the player reaches the cusp of committing to a move.

Can games make us cry? Can lines of code be poetic? Can a product be a personal expression? Are games art? When we look back in twenty years, I imagine Wii Sport Resort, like the first Wii Sports, will be one of the moments where the medium gave full voiced answers to all those vexing questions. This couldn't be a book. It couldn't be a movie. It couldn't be a song. It's a game. And it's the best anyone has yet done. We have embarked.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I like Resort, but that article is a little much. WuHu Island is great, the mechanics are great, but your average Resort player isn't going to stretch the imagination as far as that guy did. Nor do I think we're meant to....

But his point about Resort offering something only a game can offer is very true. I don't think it's as poetic or grandiose as his language suggests, but the point makes sense.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Wintry_Flutist

I like Resort, but that article is a little much. WuHu Island is great, the mechanics are great, but your average Resort player isn't going to stretch the imagination as far as that guy did. Nor do I think we're meant to....

But his point about Resort offering something only a game can offer is very true. I don't think it's as poetic or grandiose as his language suggests, but the point makes sense.

JordanElek
Well, the game isn't poetic - because it isn't poetry. It's something else only a game can be, and that's what matters here. The grandiose/art argument is here more to emphasize WSR is a huge step in the right direction rather than claiming it's the Metropolis of video games.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Wintry_Flutist
Up. :(
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JordanElek

Up. :(Wintry_Flutist
It's too long. Go the GoNintendo route. People like bullet points. :)

DazedDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#8 DazedDarkness
Member since 2008 • 2261 Posts

It's nice, but I don't know if I should take this serious or not.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i really hope the author had fun writing that. i guess your mind can wander while floating ever so slowly over open water in air sports.
ganga_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ganga_
Member since 2007 • 790 Posts
this reminds me of my german lessons when we read books like Faust, Kabale und Liebe etc.. Our teacher could go through every single line and interpret it in some way. like the author means this sentence as a general critic of the society etc. I always wondered myself if the author reallya thougt about all these things or if people like my teacher just interpret too much. i think it's the same case here. WSR is a great game but it also has some very disappointing moments. why isnt there a possibility to creat a tournament when ur playing with ur friends? why dont i see which place i made in the vs mode in cycling? why do the ranks only save the all time records and the records from this play session?
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wintry_Flutist

You expect me to read all that s***?!

Tick660
Given your manners, no. It's a sad thing people don't take a litlle time of theirs to read or debate anymore. Because it would take only 10 minutes to read this, you know...
Avatar image for Arbiterisl33t69
Arbiterisl33t69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Arbiterisl33t69
Member since 2009 • 2542 Posts
It's a sad thing people took that seriously, I am pretty sure he was being sarcastic when he said it was better than Halo, Super Mario Bros. and Tetris.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JordanElek

I always wondered myself if the author reallya thougt about all these things or if people like my teacher just interpret too much. i think it's the same case here.ganga_
In the end, it doesn't matter so much what the author (or in this case, game designer) thought about, but rather the effect that the work creates. If you've ever written anything with a specific purpose or point in mind, especially something creative, then you'll know that people will usually get many things out of it that you never intended, and that's usually a good thing. If people like what you've created, they'll come up with reasons for why they like it, regardless of what you intended for them to like about it.

I think this guy embellished way too much on the effect of Wii Sport Resort, and I have a hard time believing that he really felt all of these things while he was playing the game. I can see him thinking about it later and coming up with this stuff for an editorial. But if he did really feel these things while he was playing, then I think he's alone on this.

Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#15 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
Wii sports resort is fun ( I havent played it REALLY long yet My T.V is busted) but there are some games on their taht were just well crap. Basketball being the #1 on this list.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

It's a sad thing people took that seriously, I am pretty sure he was being sarcastic when he said it was better than Halo, Super Mario Bros. and Tetris.Arbiterisl33t69

Agreed.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wintry_Flutist
It's a sad thing people took that seriously, I am pretty sure he was being sarcastic when he said it was better than Halo, Super Mario Bros. and Tetris.Arbiterisl33t69
Sarcastic isn't the word. He threw Halo in there for the lulz, but as for SMB and Tetris why not? If the author believes WSR is greater leap than those games, he has to argue why. And he did it brilliantly.
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts

Thank you Wintry for bringing this article to my attention. I thought it was a great little read even though I haven't played WSR yet and its hard for me to comment on specifics.

But I think his point is fantastic: games are about gaming, and steps away from the movie/book like narative may be what the medium needs. And higher and higher levels of interaction is what is going to make that movement possible.

ekalbtwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 ekalbtwin
Member since 2007 • 1044 Posts
While I believe he did ham it up a bit to generate buz, his comments on having a game focus on being fundimentally fun before all else is a good one. Overall it was a fun read, a bit on edge, but fun. I really can't wait to pick this tittle up.
ChamomileBaths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20 ChamomileBaths
Member since 2008 • 373 Posts
The average player was meant to sit in on this experience and just have fun. But the guys at Nintendo who created this were the ones who had to talk philosophy on this. I imagine they did think like this guy. And while some of it was stretching the point, think about this: When you play Gears of War, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Halo, or (to a lesser extent) GTA what do you remember? Plot lines, boss battles, visual set pieces, etc. In this regard I feel like this guy is totally right, sublime typing. Wii Sports Resort viciously attacks that. It tells a story of open endedness. That's our medium. Think about a Gears game where they just threw you in a huge world, you could find out about the players through quips and remarks during battle but it all comes down to you wandering the landscape, there may be a place you're supposed to go, but that's not the only purpose of the game. And that intended path shouldn't have cutscenes. It's a thought provoking article whether or not he's being pretentious.
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#21 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
Gotta love sports resort
Wikipedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Wikipedian
Member since 2007 • 1100 Posts

You expect me to read all that s***?!

Tick660

Its worth it

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I enjoyed that read. Well written article. I agree with most of what he said.

As aside note, every time I play some of the minigames, I think of Zelda Wii. It feels like it's introducing core mechanics that will be implemented into an epic quest.

ChamomileBaths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 ChamomileBaths
Member since 2008 • 373 Posts

I enjoyed that read. Well written article. I agree with most of what he said.

As aside note, every time I play some of the minigames, I think of Zelda Wii. It feels like it's introducing core mechanics that will be implemented into an epic quest.

trugs26

Especially because of those ruins and volcano on the island. Do the Flyover mode and the ruins are this mysterious place with some buildings having been built inexplicably high up. I mean who knows what that's setting up, maybe a surprise visit from Link or maybe a Mii adventure. Again, A Mii adventure with a story that follows Wii Sports Resort's story telling philosophy (according to that IGN Editor's Editorial) has a ton of interesting possibilities.

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts
wow just, wow.
snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts
You can just go ahead and lump me into your 90% right now because I don't agree with you or this guy who wrote the article instantly placing me amongst the ranks of people whose opinions don't matter but frankly its a load of crap. I'm all for games being art and I certainly think when done well they are easily the greatest form of media man has yet to create as they create a level of immersion that most other forms of media can not, most notably for me in the horror genre, but that doesn't apply to wii sports resort. Its true WSR has nothing to offer but its gameplay and its island but that doesn't make it poetic that just makes it simple. To me personally the best way for a game to achieve status as art would be in the level of immersion it can create. This is why horror games are my favorite example of this. While watching a horror movie you can sit and yell at the character on the screen "don't go in that room you stupid idiot the murderer is in there!" but ultimately you have no control over that person or their actions. Everything they do was arranged by the director before hand and thats that. In a horror game however you are in control. Leon S. Kennedy didn't just get his head cut off by a chainsaw, YOU did. YOU died. YOU lose. When I play a horror game I'm fighting for my own life, not going "ah Leon you're dumb you shouldn't have gone in there". A good story only skyrockets a game's value as characters and events become important to me and I care about what happens to them. This seems to be the whole concept behind Heavy Rain and while I'm a bit skeptical about that one as it seems like a choose your own adventure novel with uncanny valley residing pictures the idea of basing a game around characters and relying on you becoming attached to them to provide entertainment doesn't turn me off the slightest bit. Although this is probably a bad example as it didn't come from a video game good characterization is such a big part of making me adore a game vs just liking it. I have never in all my days grown attached to a fictional character more than I was to Yomi from Ga-Rei Zero. Its weird because that anime series wasn't even very long but they did such a fantastic job of developing her character and making her realistic and sympathetic, and well, lovable I didn't need any more time for her to grow on me. And then it was just made all the more heart wrenching when she gets her life destroyed. Like I said that's a poor example as she's from an anime not a game but I chose her as no other character has ever grown on me that much before. Game's are certainly capable of this as well like how incredibly choked up I got at the end of MGS4 as Snake nears the end and being able to do this is a fantastic trait for a game. Then of course there is gameplay, the only aspect where WSR can even attempt to claim greatness. A game can have little to none of what I previously mentioned and still be wonderful if the gameplay is unique and top notch. I want to go back to Soul Calibur 2 for this one, my favorite fighter of all time as of now (maybe Blazblue will beat it when I stop sucking). A fantastic combat engine and a wide selection of characters with very different weapons and styles made this game fantastic and while a story was there, no one actually cared. As for WSR, like I said it can only try and claim greatness in its gameplay and as I've ranted before, it can't. The game is shallow. Its just a collection of simple games with little to no depth in any of them. It has no interesting characters. It has no plot. It has no atmosphere. It has nothing but a shallow collection of tech demos. WSR is not great, its mediocre at best.
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I think the article is too "Yay I love Wii Sports Resort" but to take away what is really good about this article is that, yeah, it's a vacation.

The game is so great because it's the vacation game to get away from other games. You want sit down, play around on the island with some solid mini-games? You can. Not much when it comes to unlocking, or high difficulty (for the most part) and therefore, it's low stress.

Wii Sports Resort is a tech demo in terms of motion plus. Let me see Zelda with that 1:1 sword ratio. Let me fire Link's bow with extreme precision, or let me actually place the arrow on my bow.

If Zelda were to go extremely into the motions, as sampled in Wii Sports resort, it'd be phenomenal.