Wii LAN Adapter vs Wi-Fi

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
#1 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2107 posts) -

Hi

I'm interested in buying a LAN adapter but wanted to know from anyone who has already used it if the performance is "noticeable better" than the standard Wi-Fi connection.

Currently I'm using Wi-Fi but I have a lot of radio sources that could cause interference, and the obvius choice is to reduce as much as possible.

So,

1. is there anyone who migrated from Wi-Fi to LAN and how is her/his experience?

2. is ther anyone who migrated from LAN to Wi-Fi and how is her/his experience?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

#2 Posted by f5lesnar2000 (5649 posts) -
well with the LAN adapter your going to be using a hardline instead of the Wi-Fi connection. So your connection more than likely will not be interupted and may be slightly faster. I was deciding what to get, since my computers sits next to my system I just went with the LAN and swap the ethernet cable when I need.
#3 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

You wont see a change, right now almost no one has online service that will max out a wireless router.

A wireless router that is correctly installed will work just as well as a wired version. 

#4 Posted by theICE_MAN (538 posts) -
wifi is better. if your getting interfence just switch your wifi to channel 11 or 1.
#5 Posted by skibinskionice (25 posts) -

wifi is better. if your getting interfence just switch your wifi to channel 11 or 1.theICE_MAN

That what I did and it works great now!

#6 Posted by yoda-san (323 posts) -

well with the LAN adapter your going to be using a hardline instead of the Wi-Fi connection. So your connection more than likely will not be interupted and may be slightly faster. I was deciding what to get, since my computers sits next to my system I just went with the LAN and swap the ethernet cable when I need.f5lesnar2000

You and me are in the same boat. I use the LAN adapter and swap the ethernet cable into the DSL modem to the Wii and for me its much faster than Wifi.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
#7 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2107 posts) -

Hi again and thanks for all responses

My assumption was also that ethernet should be faster but as it enters via USB I wasn't sure. Currently I've already change the router channel to 11 and it works somehow better, but I'm still liooking forward to reduce interference with other systems.

Regards

#8 Posted by gatsbythepig (10724 posts) -
So far the only difference is people that own the LAN adapter have problems sometimes.
#9 Posted by reggie186 (3910 posts) -

So far the only difference is people that own the LAN adapter have problems sometimes.gatsbythepig

I have the LAN adapter and I haven't had a single problem with it. It works really well.

#10 Posted by yoda-san (323 posts) -

So far the only difference is people that own the LAN adapter have problems sometimes.gatsbythepig
That's not even true. I have the LAN adapter and it's working very well for me and I've yet to have any kind of problems. That LAN adapter is so easy to use it's child play.

#11 Posted by Cynicize (173 posts) -
I've been trying the last few hours today...but I just can NOT get my Wii to connect to my network. It sees it. It knows it's there...but it won't connect. I've tried both of the WPA things as I know I have WPA, just not sure which type....I've put in my passcode...and it just won't work...it's no biggie yet as I just got the Wii and I'm having a blast with Paper Mario and WiiSports, but still.
#12 Posted by DopeyDavoid (5375 posts) -
Well if you have a wired connection then you won't have ANY heat issues in standby mode.
#13 Posted by meimnobody (5565 posts) -

Firewall, outdated firmwares. Check those issues and call up you may find some settings need to be adjusted.

#14 Posted by reggie186 (3910 posts) -

Well if you have a wired connection then you won't have ANY heat issues in standby mode.DopeyDavoid

My Wii has never overheated or anything, but it still gets warm.

#15 Posted by chefstubbies (2583 posts) -
i haven't had any problems with my Wi-Fi adaptor...although on my Pc, a message pops up every 30 seconds that "a user is connected to the Wii" ...i don't know what's up with that, but as for my Wii, downloads take me an average of aboput a minute and a half, so I haven't had any reason to seek any other adaptor.