wii is the most popular console

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts
according to sales, and yet a staggering amount of the games on it is just shovelware. ithink alot of devs dont support the wii is becuase its not nearly as powerful as the other consoles, and that kinda goes against the notion that "graphics aren't important". just a thought. but then again, the wii U is likely to get the same treatment.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Shovelware = quick cash in,considering the tons of console and potential sales.
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AlexKidd5000
yeah, crappy games. the real big devs that make games that are actually good are few and far between on the wii. you dont see games like bioshock, elder scrolls, rage, battlefield, saints row, arkham city, mass effect, portal, dark souls, and the like on the wii. either becuase the wii is to old hardware wise, or those devs dont want to have to use the wiimote.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
yeah, crappy games. the real big devs that make games that are actually good are few and far between on the wii. you dont see games like bioshock, elder scrolls, rage, battlefield, saints row, arkham city, mass effect, portal, dark souls, and the like on the wii. either becuase the wii is to old hardware wise, or those devs dont want to have to use the wiimote.AlexKidd5000
Too much work to port it on the wii.
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AlexKidd5000
thats pretty much what i thought. nintendo kinda screwed themselves in a way by making the wii with really really old outdated hardware. that just makes it a pain in the @$$ for devs to port to.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts
The Wii has different kinds of good games, and more highly scoring exclusives than any other console. Why even make this thread, are we in 2007???
sonic__323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 sonic__323
Member since 2007 • 23684 Posts

Okay.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Shovelware doesn't determine the quality of a console's library, the exclusives do. And the Wii has more high quality systems than any other console.
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

Shovelware doesn't determine the quality of a console's library, the exclusives do. And the Wii has more high quality systems than any other console. meetroid8

oh reginald!

I DISAGREE

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#10 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
Its crazy when you see Wii's at YMCA's and schools. Yeah it sucks not to be able to play Elder Scrolls, Grand Theft, and other great games...but heck. I can still play those type of games on my PC so whatever.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]Shovelware doesn't determine the quality of a console's library, the exclusives do. And the Wii has more high quality systems than any other console. i-rock-socks

oh reginald!

I DISAGREE

About the former or the latter? What determines the quality of a consoles library is subjective, the fact that the Wii is leading the metagame in exclusives this gen is not, its fact.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts
Maybe not anymore Xbox 360 is snatching up all the casuals with their stupid Dance games and has out sold the Wii this year.
Gsig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Gsig
Member since 2008 • 90 Posts

Saying that the Wii has more high quality exclusives is severly erroneous and actually quite daft. The Wii has survived on nostalgia and flourished on casual and lifestyle mini-games. Too say anything other than the Wii is an affront to proper gaming and downright terrible is pointless.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WreckEm711

Saying that the Wii has more high quality exclusives is severly erroneous and actually quite daft. The Wii has survived on nostalgia and flourished on casual and lifestyle mini-games. Too say anything other than the Wii is an affront to proper gaming and downright terrible is pointless.

Gsig
Actually it's fact, the Wii has more highly scoring exclusives than any other console this gen, even the trolls in system wars acknowledge it :P
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

who cares if wii has shovelware... every popular console had it..

Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vraeth
Member since 2005 • 1208 Posts

[QUOTE="Gsig"]

WreckEm711

Actually it's fact, the Wii has more highly scoring exclusives than any other console this gen, even the trolls in system wars acknowledge it :P

Which would really only be the end-all be-all if you completely ignored the fact that it lost out on more in the high-quality multiplat category.

You add up exclusives + multiplats Wii doesn't have, the others come out ahead every single time.

Nintendo has always been an immensly strong publisher, and has always been incredibly unfriendly to 2nd parties. Wii didn't change that, and its library shows it.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"][QUOTE="Gsig"]

Vraeth

Which would really only be the end-all be-all if you completely ignored the fact that it lost out on more in the high-quality multiplat category.

You add up exclusives + multiplats Wii doesn't have, the others come out ahead every single time.

Nintendo has always been an immensly strong publisher, and has always been incredibly unfriendly to 2nd parties. Wii didn't change that, and its library shows it.

Exactly. He's just fanboy trolling as usual. Even the multiplats that the Wii does have are missing some major component (and I'm not just talking about HD graphics either). I can't help but laugh when people say that they play CoD on the Wii.

Halo 3, Halo Reach, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, Gears of War 2 & 3, Forza 2-3, Mass Effect, etc, etc, etc. VERSUS a bunch of Mario Titles, MH3, Zelda, some Japanese niche titles, and some Wii mote shovelware, and some lame Kirby games. *waits for him to come and tell me about how many great Wii exclusives I missed*.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Wii is indeed the most popular console in the 7th generation of videogames. In terms of sales 88 million sold since Nov 2006. Nintendo was able to tap into the casual gaming market.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"][QUOTE="Gsig"]

Vraeth

I never contested that, and neither me nor the guy I quoted were talking about multiplats, we were talking about exclusives :?
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="Vraeth"]

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"] Actually it's fact, the Wii has more highly scoring exclusives than any other console this gen, even the trolls in system wars acknowledge it :PJurassic85

Exactly. He's just fanboy trolling as usual. Even the multiplats that the Wii does have are missing some major component (and I'm not just talking about HD graphics either). I can't help but laugh when people say that they play CoD on the Wii.

Halo 3, Halo Reach, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, Gears of War 2 & 3, Forza 2-3, Mass Effect, etc, etc, etc. VERSUS a bunch of Mario Titles, MH3, Zelda, some Japanese niche titles, and some Wii mote shovelware, and some lame Kirby games. *waits for him to come and tell me about how many great Wii exclusives I missed*.

And as usual, you've proven yourself completely unable to read or comprehend the direction of conversation, just as you miserably failed at comprehending the point of the other thread you trolled. Both the guy I quoted and myself were talking about exclusives, who's trolling, the guy stating facts he was questioning or the idiot who can't read? Nice false generalization of Wii exclusives though, wouldn't want anyone to take you seriously after all :lol: *waits for him to come fail at reading everything in the thread and then say something irrelevant, and hypocritically call others trolls*
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KBFloYd

[QUOTE="Vraeth"]

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"] Actually it's fact, the Wii has more highly scoring exclusives than any other console this gen, even the trolls in system wars acknowledge it :PJurassic85

you da troll bro...this is the wii forum...

ive seen some wii call of duty players that will spank you with the wiimote.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
not counting Wiiware and VC, i have 53 Wii games. I have 12 for my PS3. Now, i would have to say that i dont play games for graphics, and i am more then satisfied with my Wii. I am almost done Zelda SS for the 2x playthough, and before it i played UC3 and Dark Souls on PS3. Zelda stands right beside both of those games and I have to say that 1. Zelda, 2. Dark souls, 3, UC3. and as for shovelware, PS3 has plenty of shovelware, it just comes in the form of terrible FPS and RPGs instead of kiddie mini game collections(and some of them are even fun).
Avatar image for CrazyRacerXtrem
CrazyRacerXtrem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CrazyRacerXtrem
Member since 2011 • 27 Posts

WII most popular connsole??? ARE YOU SERIOUS!? I reckon PS3 orXbox360more popular, better graphics, MOVE, Better Games... the only reason WII is good is cause all Mario games are on it

Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Vraeth

WII most popular connsole??? ARE YOU SERIOUS!? I reckon PS3 orXbox360more popular, better graphics, MOVE, Better Games... the only reason WII is good is cause all Mario games are on it

CrazyRacerXtrem

As far as units sold, it is the single most popular, though.

It's certainly not the most popular among traditional gamers, though, and that's a fact. All you have to do is compare the sales of games like SMG, SMG2, MH, Other M and Skyward Sword to the sales of games like CoD, Halo, MGS4, Uncharted, Gears of War, God of War etc.

On any individual platform those games more or less trounce or equal the traditional Wii games listed above in sales, despite Wii having sold around as much as PS3 and 360 COMBINED (New Super Mario Bros being the exception, which sold a metric s-ton of copies by any standard). Wii's bread and butter are non-gamers who buy things like Wii fit in staggering numbers.

Awesome 3rd party games like No More Heroes struggle to break 1/2 a million sales on a system with 90M units sold, and its sequel couldn't even make it close to THAT. Even succesful games like MH Tri barely make it to 2M--Saints Row 3 is already over halfway to overtaking that and it's only been out 3 weeks. Compare that to a game that scores in the 50s (F, by letter grade standards) like Wii Play, which sold almost 30M copies.

It's not an enditement on the quality of Wii's traditional games, it's just MS and Sony targetted traditional gamers initially, while Nintendo wanted to expand to a new audience.

Nintendo's been struggling since the N64 to keep up in the main console market (they've had and still have the handheld market bent over a table), and now they've finally tapped a market that no one else thus-far has been able to do, and dominated it in a serious sort of way.

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

it is definatly the most selling console this gen, but it isnt my favourite.

i only bought it for the first party titles, and a few 3rd parties.

prob with the system is that it is too weak for any 3rd party games on the ps3/360, so devs couldnt port any games to it.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 meetroid8

[QUOTE="CrazyRacerXtrem"]

Vraeth

It's certainly not the most popular among traditional gamers, though, and that's a fact. All you have to do is compare the sales of games like SMG, SMG2, MH, Other M and Skyward Sword to the sales of games like CoD, Halo, MGS4, Uncharted, Gears of War, God of War etc.

Let's see.

New Super Mario Bros Wii -23 million

CoD Black Ops (360) - 13 million

Halo Reach - 8 million

MGS4 - 5 million

Uncharted 2 - 5 million

Gears of War 2 - 6 million

God of war 3 - 4 million

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="Vraeth"]

meetroid8

Let's see.

Halo Reach - 8 million

MGS4 - 5 million

Uncharted 2 - 5 million

God of war 3 - 4 million

The SMGs sold really well too if I recall
Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vraeth

[QUOTE="Vraeth"]

meetroid8

Let's see.

Halo Reach - 8 million

MGS4 - 5 million

Uncharted 2 - 5 million

God of war 3 - 4 million

Ummm, because I totally didn't SPECIFICALLY point out that NSMB was an outlier. Except... I did.

I would also add that Mario Kart would also be an exception. I'd argue that those games did a great job at being able to capture both gamers and casuals--and why shouldn't they? They're great traditional games that are extremely accessible to casual players as well. That's like the GD holy grail for a Wii game.

So yeah. Anyway.

SMG: 10M

SMG2: 6.6M

Zelda TP: 6.2M

Zelda SS: ~1.5M (no solid numbers yet, but it'll at the very least hit 6M-7M, judging by the great reviews and TP sales, if not more)

MP3: 1.5M

Super Paper Mario: 3M

Mario Strikers: 2.3M

DKR: 5.5M

The point is these are the top "gamer" games that Wii has to offer, and they're only making numbers that 360 and PS3 (which has sold 1/2-2/3 as much as Wii) REGULARLY make by themselves. That something as mediocre as ODST is within 10% of SMG2 on a system with significantly less units sold SAYS something about the average player base proportionally.

Games I generally left out were party games and the "Sports" "play" "Fit" etc. titles, because subjectively I don't consider them really the same thing as a Super Mario Galaxy or Metal Gear Solid. Party games are a different beast--I don't use them as a knock against the Wii, but as far as Wii vs. PS360 it's kinda apples vs. oranges. If we want to do a Kinect/Move vs. Wii party games I suppose we could, but I don't use Kinect/Move so I couldn't really participate.

This isn't system wars; I'm not sitting here going "WII SUX ITS GAME SUX". I don't have a problem with the market Wii targetted, but it's utterly ridiculous to act like it has been as succesful as Sony or MS in the other markets--just as ridiculous as it would be to claim that Sony and MS are household systems on the level of Wii or DS.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 meetroid8

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]

[QUOTE="Vraeth"]

Vraeth

Let's see.

Halo Reach - 8 million

MGS4 - 5 million

Uncharted 2 - 5 million

God of war 3 - 4 million

Ummm, because I totally didn't SPECIFICALLY point out that NSMB was an outlier. Except... I did.

I would also add that Mario Kart would also be an exception. I'd argue that those games did a great job at being able to capture both gamers and casuals--and why shouldn't they? They're great traditional games that are extremely accessible to casual players as well. That's like the GD holy grail for a Wii game.

The point is these are the top "gamer" games that Wii has to offer, and they're only making numbers that 360 and PS3 (which has sold 1/2-2/3 as much as Wii) REGULARLY make by themselves. That something as mediocre as ODST is within 10% of SMG2 on a system with significantly less units sold SAYS something about the average player base proportionally.

Oh sorry I completely missed that somehow. Those sales are all very comparable. Actually they're just as good as on other consoles. Quality of sales isn't determined by possible sales, its determined by actual sales. For example, it doesn't make a lot of sense to say "Hey CoD sold a total of 50 million, but considering it is on literally every platform it could have sold several times that amount, so it is a failure."

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts
Shovelware = quick cash in,considering the tons of console and potential sales.MonsieurX
/thread. There are some gems on the Wii, and imo these are better then xbox/ps junk, but this isnt where the money comes from. Hardcore gamers, which these forums consist of are a very minimal amount of the video game industry.
Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vraeth

Oh sorry I completely missed that somehow. Those sales are all very comparable. Actually they're just as good as on other consoles. Quality of sales isn't determined by possible sales, its determined by actual sales. For example, it doesn't make a lot of sense to say "Hey CoD sold a total of 50 million, but considering it is on literally every platform it could have sold several times that amount, so it is a failure."

meetroid8

My point was never that the Wii game sales aren't somehow legitimate or that they're not making money off those sales; it's mostly discussing the Wii unit sales vs. 360/PS3 unit sales vs. the games sales on either platform. From those figures, one can infer that a higher proportion of people who buy a 360 or PS3 are into "traditional" games, compared to people who buy Wiis.

Same goes for the amount of those types of games--there's a significantly higher proportion of "traditional" (again, traditional is obviously subjective) games on PS360, and a higher proportion of party/suite games on Wii. Looking at the proportional sales of those types of games, it makes sense why (i.e. CoD sells 10-12M on 360 ANUALLY... so people make games like CoD for 360. Wii Fit/sports/etc sells 20-30M on Wii, so those types of games are dev'd for Wii regularly).

My posts less of an indictment of Wii, and more of a response to the OP's post:

according to sales, and yet a staggering amount of the games on it is just shovelware. ithink alot of devs dont support the wii is becuase its not nearly as powerful as the other consoles, and that kinda goes against the notion that "graphics aren't important". just a thought. but then again, the wii U is likely to get the same treatment.AlexKidd5000

I'm simply explaining why things are the way they are.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 meetroid8

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]

Vraeth

My point was never that the Wii game sales aren't somehow legitimate or that they're not making money off those sales; it's mostly discussing the Wii unit sales vs. 360/PS3 unit sales vs. the games sales on either platform. From those figures, one can infer that a higher proportion of people who buy a 360 or PS3 are into "traditional" games, compared to people who buy Wiis.

Same goes for the amount of those types of games--there's a significantly higher proportion of "traditional" (again, traditional is obviously subjective) games on PS360, and a higher proportion of party/suite games on Wii. Looking at the proportional sales of those types of games, it makes sense why (i.e. CoD sells 10-12M on 360 ANUALLY... so people make games like CoD for 360. Wii Fit/sports/etc sells 20-30M on Wii, so those types of games are dev'd for Wii regularly).

My posts less of an indictment of Wii, and more of a response to the OP's post:

I suppose that is all true, but I still don't entirely agree. Terms like "traditional", "core", and "casual" are such vague terms, and their definitions are so subjective, what you and I see as traditional may be completely different. But I do understand what you're saying.

Avatar image for CrazyRacerXtrem
CrazyRacerXtrem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CrazyRacerXtrem
Member since 2011 • 27 Posts

still i got a WII and i dont think its THAT good

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#34 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

The problem with Wii is that porting from the X360 and PS3 was a pain. If it has specs comparable to those from the get-go, we would probably see a Wii version of Skyrim or Crysis 2. Sure, graphics aren't everything, but developers need enough development space to realize their project vision. Wii U might not have the same problem, but time will tell. E3 2012 isn't that far away anymore.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jurassic85

[QUOTE="Vraeth"]

meetroid8

Let's see.

Halo Reach - 8 million

MGS4 - 5 million

Uncharted 2 - 5 million

God of war 3 - 4 million

Is this seriously your argument in favor of the Wii? How does comparing NSMB (which is only available on the Wii) to a game like Black Ops (which is available on (360, PS3, Wii, and PC) make sense? I would argue that the Wii has a weaker library than the other consoles, so of course there are going to be a ton of gamers who buy NSMB, it is one of the few good games on the Wii. Yeah I said it, and I am a huge Nintendo fan.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]

Let's see.

Halo Reach - 8 million

MGS4 - 5 million

Uncharted 2 - 5 million

God of war 3 - 4 million

Jurassic85

Is this seriously your argument in favor of the Wii? How does comparing NSMB (which is only available on the Wii) to a game like Black Ops (which is available on (360, PS3, Wii, and PC) make sense? I would argue that the Wii has a weaker library than the other consoles, so of course there are going to be a ton of gamers who buy NSMB, it is one of the few good games on the Wii. Yeah I said it, and I am a huge Nintendo fan.

If you ask me, anytime a console-exclusive game manages to outsell the biggest of multiplatform games, which is what the CoD series typically is, it becomes a major statement for the sole console. Your point about the number of good games the Wii has is simply your opinion and doesn't affect the widespread matter at hand.

I'm also having trouble understanding the point of this 'sales' argument in particular here. I think it's common knowledge nowadays that the Wii's target audience is more widespread the that of the other systems on the market, and given that, most of Nintendo's key games, regardless of who they may be aimed at, have sold exceptionally well. Given that not every big game made is going to be targeted toward a very specific group of consumers, which is the norm on the HD systems, it should probably be celebrated that many of the Wii most successful games have gotten the success the they've have. It's one thing simply selling the same kind of games each and every year, but to be successful with a more diverse lineup of software showcases the Wii's universal appeal in a very unique light.

Don't forget, the notion of the industry around the Wii's launch was that there was no way Nintendo could tap into either the previously non-gamer market nor could it manage to attract the attention of more 'traditional' gamers with such an "underpowered" system. Judging by the sales of both hardware AND software, the Wii has been able to do both quite well.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jurassic85
Did NSMB actually outsell CoD? Or did it just outsell it on the 360? There is a huge difference, and it totally invalidates your argument.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts
Did NSMB actually outsell CoD? Or did it just outsell it on the 360? There is a huge difference, and it totally invalidates your argument. Jurassic85
Mario Kart wii did, NSMBW came close 27 million vs 23million
Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jurassic85

[QUOTE="Jurassic85"]Did NSMB actually outsell CoD? Or did it just outsell it on the 360? There is a huge difference, and it totally invalidates your argument. JuarN18

Additionally, Mario Kart Wii (April 2008) has been out how long in comparision to Black Ops (November 2010)? Also it is packaged much more frequently with the Wii than any Call of Duty game ever was. This is really comparing apples and oranges.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KBFloYd

[QUOTE="JuarN18"][QUOTE="Jurassic85"]Did NSMB actually outsell CoD? Or did it just outsell it on the 360? There is a huge difference, and it totally invalidates your argument. Jurassic85

Additionally, Mario Kart Wii (April 2008) has been out how long in comparision to Black Ops (November 2010)? Also it is packaged much more frequently with the Wii than any Call of Duty game ever was. This is really comparing apples and oranges.

call of duty is packaged with some 360 consoles...and even has a console exclusive design version...

the wii had a mario kart wii bundle but that was after it sold like over 20 million.