Wii - input lag for some virtual console games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jameslieb4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jameslieb4
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I have a softmodded Wii, but is it normal for there to be input lag for some virtual console games? With certain N64 games like Majora's Mask and Star Fox 64 I can easily notice a delay and it's difficult to immerse myself in the game because of this.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Using composite cables or having a "game feature" running on your TV will cause that

jameslieb4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jameslieb4

Using composite cables or having a "game feature" running on your TV will cause that

Jaysonguy
No it's not the TV or the cables, I am on a CRT TV with composite cables - theoretically a lagless setup (or at least as close to "lagless" as possible).
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

jameslieb4

No it's not the TV or the cables, I am on a CRT TV with composite cables - theoretically a lagless setup (or at least as close to "lagless" as possible).

Yes, that's like the perfect setup.

This is tricky, I know this is a pain but do you have more than one controller to test? Maybe a Wiimote and a Gamecube controller?

jameslieb4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jameslieb4

[QUOTE="jameslieb4"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

This is tricky, I know this is a pain but do you have more than one controller to test? Maybe a Wiimote and a Gamecube controller?

Yes I've tried a couple controller's and that's not the cause. Is softmodding supposed to have any bearing on input lag or is that pretty much out of the question?
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TxTech1923
Member since 2013 • 662 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="jameslieb4"] No it's not the TV or the cables, I am on a CRT TV with composite cables - theoretically a lagless setup (or at least as close to "lagless" as possible).jameslieb4

Yes I've tried a couple controller's and that's not the cause. Is softmodding supposed to have any bearing on input lag or is that pretty much out of the question?

Unless you're playing the games on an unoptimized emulator, no. My Wii is basically open source it's so softmodded and all my Wii Shop games run fine. If you play games on an emulator you'll likely run into some lag.
jameslieb4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jameslieb4
[QUOTE="jameslieb4"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

TxTech1923

Unless you're playing the games on an unoptimized emulator, no. My Wii is basically open source it's so softmodded and all my Wii Shop games run fine. If you play games on an emulator you'll likely run into some lag.

Ok so maybe this input lag is actually normal? By input lag I mean a delay from a button push to the on-screen reaction. Do some games just naturally have input lag?
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TxTech1923
[QUOTE="jameslieb4"][QUOTE="TxTech1923"][QUOTE="jameslieb4"] Yes I've tried a couple controller's and that's not the cause. Is softmodding supposed to have any bearing on input lag or is that pretty much out of the question?

Ok so maybe this input lag is actually normal? By input lag I mean a delay from a button push to the on-screen reaction. Do some games just naturally have input lag?

If you're playing it on an emulator, lag can be normal, are you playing it on an emulator? If you're playing legit virtual console channel titles, no I would not say the input lag is normal.
jameslieb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jameslieb
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I compared it to Majora's Mask on the GCN, and while that version has a lot more FRAMERATE lag, it definitely has less INPUT lag than what I'm experiencing on the VC. I don't understand, why the heck am I getting input lag??
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TxTech1923
I compared it to Majora's Mask on the GCN, and while that version has a lot more FRAMERATE lag, it definitely has less INPUT lag than what I'm experiencing on the VC. I don't understand, why the heck am I getting input lag??jameslieb
1-800-255-3700 Nintendo Technical Support :P
jameslieb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jameslieb
[QUOTE="jameslieb"]I compared it to Majora's Mask on the GCN, and while that version has a lot more FRAMERATE lag, it definitely has less INPUT lag than what I'm experiencing on the VC. I don't understand, why the heck am I getting input lag??TxTech1923

C'mon, I'm serious! I doubt the support agents will even know what input lag is.
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TxTech1923
[QUOTE="TxTech1923"][QUOTE="jameslieb"]I compared it to Majora's Mask on the GCN, and while that version has a lot more FRAMERATE lag, it definitely has less INPUT lag than what I'm experiencing on the VC. I don't understand, why the heck am I getting input lag??jameslieb

C'mon, I'm serious! I doubt the support agents will even know what input lag is.

So... you'll spend weeks waiting for an answer that probably isn't coming on these boards, but won't call the official tech support who can probably help you? Interesting line of thinking bud :P
OredingoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 OredingoX

I have over 100 classic VC titles download on my Wii....and yes some games do have input lag. but it's not bad enough to make the game unplayable as so you make it seem. Whats the big deal? Get use to it.

OredingoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 OredingoX

[QUOTE="jameslieb4"][QUOTE="TxTech1923"] Unless you're playing the games on an unoptimized emulator, no. My Wii is basically open source it's so softmodded and all my Wii Shop games run fine. If you play games on an emulator you'll likely run into some lag.TxTech1923

If you're playing it on an emulator, lag can be normal, are you playing it on an emulator? If you're playing legit virtual console channel titles, no I would not say the input lag is normal.

On the VC, input lag IS normal for a few games as the ones this guy is mentioning. I play my games on my old 13" TV that has no special setups and no AV cables to hook up. I use an RF modulator to hook my Wii up to it and MOST of the games have perfect button sync while playing, except for the same games that this guy is talking about having "problems". So this is perfectly normal. Like I said in my above post, just get use to it and you won't even notice it anymore.

jameslieb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jameslieb

[QUOTE="TxTech1923"][QUOTE="jameslieb4"] Ok so maybe this input lag is actually normal? By input lag I mean a delay from a button push to the on-screen reaction. Do some games just naturally have input lag?OredingoX

On the VC, input lag IS normal for a few games as the ones this guy is mentioning. I play my games on my old 13" TV that has no special setups and no AV cables to hook up. I use an RF modulator to hook my Wii up to it and MOST of the games have perfect button sync while playing, except for the same games that this guy is talking about having "problems". So this is perfectly normal. Like I said in my above post, just get use to it and you won't even notice it anymore.

So it's normal for MM on VC to have more input lag then the GCN version?