Wii Fit U Direct - More Like Wii Sports Club Direct!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

All the details are here (watch the first couple of minutes of the video, it's pretty hilarious). Wii Fit U has a Fit Meter that seems cool and has a bunch of new activities.

But that's not the real news.

Nintendo is releasing Wii Sports Club, which is basically an enhanced Wii Sports port. It uses Motion Plus exclusively and adds robust online functionality.

But that's not the real news either.

Both of these games are being offered as free downloads.

Wii Fit U will be free for a month (the balance board is required). After that, you can either pay for the game or buy the Fit Meter for unlimited access forever.

Wii Sports Club will be free for 24 hours after downloading, then you can either buy each game individually for $10 or "rent" the entire game for 24 hours for $2.

It's exciting to see Nintendo exploring these kinds of pay models. They're a really good deal for us, and they'll probably work out great for Nintendo since there's only a tiny barrier to entry for anyone interested..... except the price of the console itself for people who don't own a WiiU yet.

I don't really care if these games sell consoles or not... It's a good start for offering us more ways to try and buy games. What do you guys think?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

The Wii Fit U coming free if you buy the pedometer is pretty cool. I might actually pick this up (wasn't considering it at all before).

I also like this game to be digital, so it doesn't waste my disc space and my partner won't swap out my games I'm currently playing.

Online tennis would be pretty sweet :P I would prefer table tennis from Sports Resort though.

I also like how aggressive Nintendo are being with promotions. It's good to see them pushing it a little with options, such as the day pass with Sports Club, or the Wii U bunlds (and the rumoured Mario bundle). 

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I'm currently watching it on Youtube.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Just like the Wii FU fit meter thing, don't care for the game. :P

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
Wii Sports with better controls and online play? Gettin dat fo sho.
Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Tonindo
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

It's obvious that Nintendo is trying to get people interested in the Wii U. Only problem is that people that want ti play these games can't play them out of the box.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#7 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Wii Sports with enhanced controls, graphics, and online multiplayer? Sign me up!

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

I just recently bought Wii Fit used. I lost 6 pounds and relieved back discomforts since starting. So I'm looking forward to the U game, especially when it's only $20. 

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Wii Sports with better controls and online play? Gettin dat fo sho.Avatar_Taxidous
This without question.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Tennis and Bowling shall be mine. I'll only get golf if they add new courses or include all the holes from both games.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

im looking foward to golf... hopefully motion plus doesnt complicate things..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#12 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

They're adding online play? Sweeet :D

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#13 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I think it would be interesting to play Golf online, as it gained quite a bit of depth with the Wii Motion Plus.

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

I'm interested in the wii u fit game...got a wii fit board, just buy the meter for $20.00 and download is free....BUT...How much space will it take up on my deluxe?

Reggie mentions needing possibly an extra harddrive. Any ideas on this? I do know you can purchase the disk in Dec. if you don't choose the DL.

Josh5890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Josh5890
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts

If golf is more like the resort version with several clubs, spin ability, and AT LEAST 18 holes, I'll buy that instantly. I sunk probably close to 100 hours in the resort golf. I love playing golf so it was a win for me. a few courses would be nice though. Hopefully there are some improvements to baseball. There was potential for more.

Josh5890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Josh5890
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts

I'm interested in the wii u fit game...got a wii fit board, just buy the meter for $20.00 and download is free....BUT...How much space will it take up on my deluxe?

Reggie mentions needing possibly an extra harddrive. Any ideas on this? I do know you can purchase the disk in Dec. if you don't choose the DL.

calway55

Yea that did make we wonder. I figured I was going to download it since it feels more like an app than a game to me (sounds stupid I know) but if the game is huge I might just buy the disc. I'm sure they will release size info eventually.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nini200
I take that back, I will only be getting Boxing and Tennis. Wii Sports Club is WAAAYYYY Overpriced. They want $50 for the entire game? Are you freaking kidding me Nintendo? $50 for an HD Tech Demo? Really? Nintendo, you SERIOUSLY need to get your head out your rear and drop the price. The entire game should cost no more than $30 for this.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Ten dollars per game is too expensive for Wii Sports, especially since I don't care about the online. I'll consider it if they go on sale though.

b4il

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 b4il
Member since 2013 • 115 Posts
i'm fine with the price model, i only like golf anyway. i will definitely pick the new golf up IF there will be new courses, i played the 18 holes from sports+resort way too often to spend money on them again.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JordanElek

I take that back, I will only be getting Boxing and Tennis. Wii Sports Club is WAAAYYYY Overpriced. They want $50 for the entire game? Are you freaking kidding me Nintendo? $50 for an HD Tech Demo? Really? Nintendo, you SERIOUSLY need to get your head out your rear and drop the price. The entire game should cost no more than $30 for this.nini200

That tech demo was one of the most popular games ever created. That's the very definition of a game that should be priced high. They're also adding online functionality, which is a continuous cost for them, so that also plays into it.

And regardless, $10 for a sport isn't even very high. If you think it's only worth $30, then buy three sports. That's the great thing about this kind of piecemeal pay structure.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

[QUOTE="calway55"]

Josh5890

Yea that did make we wonder. I figured I was going to download it since it feels more like an app than a game to me (sounds stupid I know) but if the game is huge I might just buy the disc. I'm sure they will release size info eventually.

I think this works a lot better as a downloadable game. Say you get bored of playing Assassin's Creed and just want to kick back and play tennis for a little while without switching a disc.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

[QUOTE="nini200"]I take that back, I will only be getting Boxing and Tennis. Wii Sports Club is WAAAYYYY Overpriced. They want $50 for the entire game? Are you freaking kidding me Nintendo? $50 for an HD Tech Demo? Really? Nintendo, you SERIOUSLY need to get your head out your rear and drop the price. The entire game should cost no more than $30 for this.JordanElek

That tech demo was one of the most popular games ever created. That's the very definition of a game that should be priced high. They're also adding online functionality, which is a continuous cost for them, so that also plays into it.

And regardless, $10 for a sport isn't even very high. If you think it's only worth $30, then buy three sports. That's the great thing about this kind of piecemeal pay structure.

Yeah I don't get why anyone is complaining about pricing. $10 for Wii Bowling HD with online play is a steal. It's easily the most fun Bowling video game ever made. Tennis and Golf really are good prices too. Tennis by itself is always a favorite when people come over anyway. Baseball and Boxing might not be as good but $10 isn't really that bad for them. It would be nice if Nintendo did a discount if you bought all of them or something but I'm not angry. Wii Sports is one of the most popular games ever made so Nintendo can get away with it, especially as it's more than a straight port.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nini200

[QUOTE="nini200"]I take that back, I will only be getting Boxing and Tennis. Wii Sports Club is WAAAYYYY Overpriced. They want $50 for the entire game? Are you freaking kidding me Nintendo? $50 for an HD Tech Demo? Really? Nintendo, you SERIOUSLY need to get your head out your rear and drop the price. The entire game should cost no more than $30 for this.JordanElek

It was popular because it was PACKED IN with the Wii at first. Now they are actually Charging for a demo basically. No it should not be charged that high. All that was added was better visuals, M+ and Online. No new sports were added at all. Wait a minute, you're getting WWHD aren't you?
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KBFloYd

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

[QUOTE="nini200"]I take that back, I will only be getting Boxing and Tennis. Wii Sports Club is WAAAYYYY Overpriced. They want $50 for the entire game? Are you freaking kidding me Nintendo? $50 for an HD Tech Demo? Really? Nintendo, you SERIOUSLY need to get your head out your rear and drop the price. The entire game should cost no more than $30 for this.nini200

It was popular because it was PACKED IN with the Wii at first. Now they are actually Charging for a demo basically. No it should not be charged that high. All that was added was better visuals, M+ and Online. No new sports were added at all. Wait a minute, you're getting WWHD aren't you?

in japan wii sports was sold seperately.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nini200

[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="JordanElek"]

KBFloYd

It was sold seperately here in NA after about a year as well but do you think it became popular off of the retail sales or the copies that came with the system? The fact is, this is a tech demo at best and should not be sold for the high price of a full game. Would you pay $50 for a Playstation Underground Jam Pack Demo? Not saying because it is playstation but because it is a demo. Same thing stands here. Both are demo's and a demo should not cost $50 at all. I was giving them credit at $30 for the upgrades because it is worth that but $50 should be reserved for full games only. if you had the choice to buy Mario Galaxy WiiU, Star Fox WiiU, FZero wiiU, Metroid WiiU, Zelda WiiU, or Wii Sports HD for $50 which would you spend your money on?
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

Wii Sports was the reason so many Wii's sold.  Its not like people were picking up a Wii randomly and were like "Oh there this free tech demo with it".  Too a lot of people the Wii was just a way to play Wii Sports. And even if it is a tech demo it's a very polished and fun tech demo based off of real sports. I've played Wii Sports for about 200 hours and would have gladly paid $50 for it had it not come free with the Wii. Solitaire comes with every PC so it in theory could be the highest selling game ever, but I doubt anybody bought a PC just for solitiare.  Tens of millions did for Wii Sports.  Besides there are many small sports games released digitally for every system that are around that price. There are a bunch of $7ish 3DS downloadable bowling games so why can't online Wii Bowling be $10?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KBFloYd

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="nini200"]It was popular because it was PACKED IN with the Wii at first. Now they are actually Charging for a demo basically. No it should not be charged that high. All that was added was better visuals, M+ and Online. No new sports were added at all. Wait a minute, you're getting WWHD aren't you?nini200

It was sold seperately here in NA after about a year as well but do you think it became popular off of the retail sales or the copies that came with the system? The fact is, this is a tech demo at best and should not be sold for the high price of a full game. Would you pay $50 for a Playstation Underground Jam Pack Demo? Not saying because it is playstation but because it is a demo. Same thing stands here. Both are demo's and a demo should not cost $50 at all. I was giving them credit at $30 for the upgrades because it is worth that but $50 should be reserved for full games only. if you had the choice to buy Mario Galaxy WiiU, Star Fox WiiU, FZero wiiU, Metroid WiiU, Zelda WiiU, or Wii Sports HD for $50 which would you spend your money on?

we dont know if nintendo added any content to any of the sports yet....besides...i would pay 50$ for this more gladly than lego city or zombiU...

its wii sports with online....nintendo desperatly need an online 1st party game this year...instead of having to wait till next year with mario kart8 and smash brosU.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JordanElek

It was popular because it was PACKED IN with the Wii at first. Now they are actually Charging for a demo basically. No it should not be charged that high. All that was added was better visuals, M+ and Online. No new sports were added at all.nini200

Millions of people effectively paid $250 for Wii Sports. And they played it for hundreds of hours. Few games in the history of video games have been as widely and heavily played as that measly little tech demo that nobody wants to pay for.

Wait a minute, you're getting WWHD aren't you?nini200

I was going to wait for a price drop or good deal, but I know I'll cave. Probably at midnight tonight.... Damn digital games. It's one of my favorite games ever. Why do you ask? I'm guessing you think that's too expensive, too. My brain agrees with you but my heart obviously doesn't. :P The sales numbers will answer the question. It's not as clear cut of a case as Wii Sports Club is.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I just saw the Direct and was pleasantly surprised. That Fit Meter is pretty darn cool, and it seems they upgraded Wii Fit a fair bit. I already have a balance board, so I'll be picking up the meter and the free game.

Wii Sports Club also looks pretty sweet. I found the original a lot of fun - and more than a demo, plus being online will help tremendously. I do agree that $10 is a bit much, BUT we don't know what the full games offer besides online play. If the games are exactly the same in content, then I'd think $7 would be more appropriate.

I predict this game will be played constantly online for the life of the Wii-U.

The pricing models show a very needed modern take on game offerings from Nintendo. Which is exciting if we are to take this a sign of things to come from them.

dino77c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dino77c
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts

Do you really think all the people at the old folks home are gonna A)get a wii u B) buy this so they can bowl with HD graphics the game was a huge fad and fun but lets not talk like it was some kind of masterpiece...way more money than I expected
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

[QUOTE="nini200"]I take that back, I will only be getting Boxing and Tennis. Wii Sports Club is WAAAYYYY Overpriced. They want $50 for the entire game? Are you freaking kidding me Nintendo? $50 for an HD Tech Demo? Really? Nintendo, you SERIOUSLY need to get your head out your rear and drop the price. The entire game should cost no more than $30 for this.dino77c

Do you really think all the people at the old folks home are gonna A)get a wii u B) buy this so they can bowl with HD graphics the game was a huge fad and fun but lets not talk like it was some kind of masterpiece...way more money than I expected

lol, no I don't expect that. They still have their Wiis and probably use them all the time.

That's why Nintendo is pricing it this way instead of marketing only as "here's a free version of Wii Sports included in this Wii U bundle!" People aren't going to pay $300 to play Wii Sports again. But if they want an updated Wii Fit or if gamers want the growing library of awesome games and they get a WiiU, they'll see Wii Sports Club and might want to relive the fun at some point. The audience who looks back fondly on Wii Sports has to be pretty close to 100% of the WiiU userbase, so Nintendo is going to charge accordingly.