Wii Fit owners - How Durable is the Balance Board?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts

I'm considering getting the game but I'm not so sure about the balance board. I'm not a heavy dude but I'm worried about breaking the balance board. Is it durable?

I don't plan on stomping on the thing but should I even be worried about this?

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Very durable. I didn't expect it to be built so well. I weight 155lbs and it's perfect.
Unkoil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Unkoil666
Member since 2007 • 724 Posts
Very durable. Well put together and sturdy. Can accommodate a person that weighs up to 355lbs.
Unkoil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Unkoil666

Oh, one other thing. You DO NOT want to actually jump on the board. Even though it's built well, jumping on it will most likely destroy the pressure sensors. WiiFit actually tells you, during certain activities, to never jump on it. In the games/exercises that have you "Jump", all you do is squat and stand straight up quickly. Like you are jumping but your feet don't leave the ground.

Hope you understand my meaning. Hard to explain how to jump when you can't really jump. LOL

Sorry for DBL post.

yeahyeahbigN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 yeahyeahbigN
Member since 2007 • 1345 Posts
it's pretty sturdy. you should be fine. unless you are jumping on it or uses it as a weapon, your board will not be in harm.
travt-down

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 travt-down
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts

It is rated to hold a person up to 600 lbs. It stops registering weight after 350 lbs or so, though.

Unless you are in the 700 lbs range, you're good.

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Boba_Fett_3710

Oh, one other thing. You DO NOT want to actually jump on the board. Even though it's built well, jumping on it will most likely destroy the pressure sensors. WiiFit actually tells you, during certain activities, to never jump on it. In the games/exercises that have you "Jump", all you do is squat and stand straight up quickly. Like you are jumping but your feet don't leave the ground.

Hope you understand my meaning. Hard to explain how to jump when you can't really jump. LOL

Sorry for DBL post.

Unkoil666

That's what I'm worried about. I plan on buying this not just for Wii Fit but I was thinking of buying the package so I could play SKATE IT in the future. I don't want to destroy the thing. I have always had the tendency to get into games like that.

CoreyNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CoreyNT
Member since 2008 • 593 Posts
Very durable. Won't break.
Travis281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Travis281
Member since 2004 • 2546 Posts

It is rated to hold a person up to 600 lbs. It stops registering weight after 350 lbs or so, though.

travt-down

How do you know that, lol.

ratm247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 ratm247
Member since 2005 • 303 Posts

according to the board, i weigh 240 lbs, and i at no time am concerned with breaking the board. during ski jump i actually did jump, and it just gives you a zero for that run and warns you not to do it, i did not feel in anyway that the board was even close to stressed. my only concern is that myself or some friends may jump on it, and though im sure it wont break the board, it will eventually wear out the boards ability toaccuratelytare itself. though this is a problem with any scale type device, so it cant really be held against nintendo, and if its being jumped on its my fault.

the box says its can take 330 lbs, however as someone before stated, im sure you can apply much more pressure to it before it breaks, as im sure it was over designed for its rated weight capacity and a 330 lbs person doing some of theexercisesvigorously, wouldexertmuch more than 330 lbs pressure on the board. to sum things up, having the board break should not be a concern in the purchasing of the balance board unless you are well over 330 lbs. my biggest concern is how long i have to wait for skate it.

travt-down

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 travt-down
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts
[QUOTE="travt-down"]

Travis281

How do you know that, lol.

Nintendo released official specs last month.

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Boba_Fett_3710

according to the board, i weigh 240 lbs, and i at no time am concerned with breaking the board. during ski jump i actually did jump, and it just gives you a zero for that run and warns you not to do it, i did not feel in anyway that the board was even close to stressed. my only concern is that myself or some friends may jump on it, and though im sure it wont break the board, it will eventually wear out the boards ability toaccuratelytare itself. though this is a problem with any scale type device, so it cant really be held against nintendo, and if its being jumped on its my fault.

the box says its can take 330 lbs, however as someone before stated, im sure you can apply much more pressure to it before it breaks, as im sure it was over designed for its rated weight capacity and a 330 lbs person doing some of theexercisesvigorously, wouldexertmuch more than 330 lbs pressure on the board. to sum things up, having the board break should not be a concern in the purchasing of the balance board unless you are well over 330 lbs. my biggest concern is how long i have to wait for skate it.

ratm247

Thanks. That pretty much puts all my worries aside. I might be picking up Wii Fit if the board seems legit.

ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I was actually surprised with how sturdy the device is. It's not a cheaply made piece of equipment. The first thing I thought of when picking up the box for the first time was just how heavy it is. It's very well made, and incredibly accurate again to my surprise.

I'm a big guy and I accidentally jumped once during the Tight Rope game, nothing broke or gave signs of possibly breaking. The game makes you start over if you jump in order to discourage it from ever happening again, so don't do it. I doubt it'll break if you do, but it's better to be safe.

Unkoil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Unkoil666
[QUOTE="Unkoil666"]

Sorry for DBL post.

Boba_Fett_3710

That's what I'm worried about. I plan on buying this not just for Wii Fit but I was thinking of buying the package so I could play SKATE IT in the future. I don't want to destroy the thing. I have always had the tendency to get into games like that.

Thats pretty much the sole reason I bought WiiFit. I needed the board for Skate It. Although, I find myself anxious to get home and "workout" with WiiFit more and more.

On the subject of Skate It though, not much has been mentioned about the balance board controls other than leaning forward and backward to perform manuals. I doubt they are going to have us physically jump on the board to perform ollies and kickflips and such. My guess is the board will be used in conjunction quite a bit with the Wii-remote to perform heelflips, popshuvits, and the like. Maybe all we'll have to do is lean back, then forward quickly to pop an ollie, and then motion with the remote to bust a trick. We'll have to wait and see what they come up with. This could be amazing if they do it right.

Anyway, I don't think you have to worry about jumping on the board. I don't think they would implement that into the game knowing it could wreck the balance board.

ReubenFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ReubenFTW
Member since 2008 • 174 Posts

so far mine has survived a night of drunken yoga, being dropped twice, the cat trying to eat it (we have a very stupid cat), and having a wii balanceboard dropped on it from about 4 feet.

yeah, i think they are tough enough:D

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Boba_Fett_3710
[QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"][QUOTE="Unkoil666"]

Sorry for DBL post.

Unkoil666

Thats pretty much the sole reason I bought WiiFit. I needed the board for Skate It. Although, I find myself anxious to get home and "workout" with WiiFit more and more.

On the subject of Skate It though, not much has been mentioned about the balance board controls other than leaning forward and backward to perform manuals. I doubt they are going to have us physically jump on the board to perform ollies and kickflips and such. My guess is the board will be used in conjunction quite a bit with the Wii-remote to perform heelflips, popshuvits, and the like. Maybe all we'll have to do is lean back, then forward quickly to pop an ollie, and then motion with the remote to bust a trick. We'll have to wait and see what they come up with. This could be amazing if they do it right.

Anyway, I don't think you have to worry about jumping on the board. I don't think they would implement that into the game knowing it could wreck the balance board.

They haven't said much about the game at all. It's my understanding that the game will be able to be played with just the remote, the remote and nunchuck and the balance board (nothing else is said other than the game will support it). I'm thinking the game will use the board and the wiimote. If that's the case, I don't know if I'm still interested.

I do want to try WiiFit out, but I'm still on the fence about alot of things. Fortunately, I know that the balance board isn't a piece of crap so that puts my worries aside.

Arnalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Arnalion
Member since 2006 • 3316 Posts
It's durable because the whole board is more or less static/solid. There's no moving parts, by that I mean parts that don't move more than a couple of millimeters...
Unkoil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Unkoil666
[QUOTE="Unkoil666"][QUOTE="Boba_Fett_3710"][QUOTE="Unkoil666"]

Sorry for DBL post.

Boba_Fett_3710

They haven't said much about the game at all. It's my understanding that the game will be able to be played with just the remote, the remote and nunchuck and the balance board (nothing else is said other than the game will support it). I'm thinking the game will use the board and the wiimote. If that's the case, I don't know if I'm still interested.

I do want to try WiiFit out, but I'm still on the fence about alot of things. Fortunately, I know that the balance board isn't a piece of crap so that puts my worries aside.

From the hands-on report:

"EA did show off its progress with the Wii Balance Board in Skate It during the game demonstration. It's still very, very early, but the demo showed a debug "balance square" on top of your character to represent where the player's leaning. Lean to the left or right and the on-screen player will turn in that direction. Forward or backward will send him into a manual. You'll still need the Wii remote for kicking and jumping. The developers are still working hard on support for the Balance Board, stating that progress was only about a couple of weeks in with this version."

Full Article