Wii Expansion Pack?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BlackZoneHell (25 posts) -

I just read a post from another person about launching a "Wii Elite" that supports HD etc. Many rejected that idea, but what about a Wii Expansion Pack?? It could use the memory slots that are used for the Gamecube Memory Cards. This type of added hardware could improve Wii's performance, graphics, sound, better Wi-Fi, even HD. This could be a piece of hardware that could increase gaming experience even more.

What do you think?

#2 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -
It's impossible
#3 Posted by travt-down (1549 posts) -

No.

Using the mem card slots to boost performance would be like trying to boost a cars HP by changing the car stereo.

#4 Posted by -Sphere- (1063 posts) -

No.

Using the mem card slots to boost performance would be like trying to boost a cars HP by changing the car stereo.

travt-down
That was a very good analogy. No, the Wii will never be able to get a reprieve from the mistakes Nintendo made with the lacking power.
#6 Posted by Colin4128 (2084 posts) -

It's impossibleJaysonguy

Its not impossible, y are u always sayng that everything is impossible? Anyways, i think its a good idea and i think it will work!

#8 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]It's impossibleColin4128

Its not impossible, y are u always sayng that everything is impossible? Anyways, i think its a good idea and i think it will work!

It's because I know it's impossible

#10 Posted by Wild_Card (4034 posts) -
i dout we will se any kind of exp for the Wii in fact dont see how it would work. other than a HDD of course. would be nice though.
#11 Posted by Dark_Knight6 (16619 posts) -
[QUOTE="Colin4128"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]It's impossibleJaysonguy

It's because I know it's impossible

For the first time, I'm actually agreeing with Jaysonguy, it's literaly not possible for that to happen. It's not that nintendo won't do it, it's that they can't do it. But they do need to release a form of memory expansion.

#13 Posted by sonic_spark (5589 posts) -
It might be able to utilize more memory (ram) via the usb slots in the back. But definitely not through the memory card slots.
#14 Posted by Link9n17 (1491 posts) -
That would be awesome...but it would never happen.
#15 Posted by McNulty5 (182 posts) -

Actually I would love the extra power I think Nintendo made a mistake by not giving the Wii more power, I truly do not care about the graphical limitations, it's moreso that the Wii could never handle a large scale battle like the ones that you'll have on Resistance 2 for example, also it probably wouldn't be able to handle a game with as many things going on at a given moment as in most MMOs.

I honestly would've prefered it if the Wii had the motion and IR controls but with the power of atleast the 360, it simply provides us gamers with more options, I enjoy the interactive gameplay much more than the old controller gameplay but I also enjoy games that really use some power, not just on the graphical end.

#16 Posted by Hells_Hammer (972 posts) -

Something like the Expansion Pak for N64?

Maybe with USB ports...?

#19 Posted by roll450 (4113 posts) -
Nah, I dont think it will work. Besides, why does nintendo need to with the Inside of the box when they are now, thinking outside of the box.
#20 Posted by EmperorZeruel (4207 posts) -
even if they made an expanshion it will bot be signifficly better. It was like with the nintendo 64 expanshion. Also if it is made ten games will have to be made theat require it and people may not want to buy an exapnshion just to play a game even if it comes packaged with one game.
#21 Posted by brawl_96 (3953 posts) -
[QUOTE="travt-down"][QUOTE="-Sphere-"][QUOTE="travt-down"]

No.

Dark_Knight6

That was a very good analogy. No, the Wii will never be able to get a reprieve from the mistakes Nintendo made with the lacking power.

It wasnt a mistake by Nintendo. They made the console exactly how they wanted it. Im very glad they did because I have no use for the graphical improvements which are the sole contributions of the 360 and PS3.

Nintendo will go souped-up HD next gen, when it makes more sense.

The reason I love my 360, aside from the fantastic online community and 20 gigs of hard drive space, is the fact that more than five third party developers actually try when they make games on it.

where did u get the will ferral cowbell..... hillarious

#22 Posted by Zivia (52 posts) -
Just redesign a new Wii system.
#23 Posted by RagdollMan98 (131 posts) -

I really don't see that happening.

But, a Wii with a bigger hard drive/more save slots would be nice. Or better yet, allow us to buy extra save slots from the Shop Channel, that would be a lot better than buying another Wii.

#24 Posted by SirSpudly (4045 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]It's impossibleColin4128

Ok, I'm an electrical engineer and I say it's impossible. If you attached an expansion to make the Wii play HD, the only parts you wouldn't have to disable are the flash memory, the controller ports, the power button, and the memory card slots. Everything else would be obsolete. Better analogy, adapting the Wii for perfect HD would be like adapting a toddler chair for a Sumo wrestler. In the end, the only part of that chair you could use is the back rest. Not efficient at all.
#27 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -

No.

travt-down

i think he meant using the slots to transfer info, but yea, it would still be impossible that way...

and i dont think nintendo would invest money on a "wii elite" when the regular wii is outselling the PS3 and X360 together

#28 Posted by ThePlothole (11515 posts) -

Something like the Expansion Pak for N64?

Maybe with USB ports...?

Hells_Hammer

The Expansion pack was just RAM.

USB isn't even remotely fast enough.

#29 Posted by BlackZoneHell (25 posts) -

Apparently most of you dont think its possible and people have good points. I dont know, i just wanted to suggest something that boost the Wii literally to skies, it would be a 360-like with all the cool things wii has up till now.

First i thought it would be quite possible, as if the Wii had the potential (and flexibility) to adapt to new hardware that could be compatible.

Nevertheless its a good idea, i thought of it becausecurrently some of my favorite games are now only on 360 like Prince of Persia and Resident Evil 5 and with better performance third parties might include the wii for these games.

#30 Posted by shark2k6 (1512 posts) -

Apparently most of you dont think its possible and people have good points. I dont know, i just wanted to suggest something that boost the Wii literally to skies, it would be a 360-like with all the cool things wii has up till now.

First i thought it would be quite possible, as if the Wii had the potential (and flexibility) to adapt to new hardware that could be compatible.

Nevertheless its a good idea, i thought of it becausecurrently some of my favorite games are now only on 360 like Prince of Persia and Resident Evil 5 and with better performance third parties might include the wii for these games.

BlackZoneHell

Here is what you need to undestand. To make the Wii capable of doing what the Xbox 360 and PS3 do all of the components in it would be obsolete. The CPU would need to be upgraded, more RAM (and probably better/faster) would need to be used. A better GPU would need to be used and better cooling to keep the system cool. The Wii as it is right now is to small to effectively cool all those upgraded components which would allow HD capabilities. What would really need to happen is Nintendo just release a new system, which will eventually happen.

-Shark2k

#32 Posted by Thiago26792 (11059 posts) -
They can release an expansion, but not using the memory card slot.
#33 Posted by osan0 (15019 posts) -

for technical reasons...that kind of upgrade is impossible on the current wii. the GC memory slots are nowhere near as fast as the wiis ram nor can they replace the GPU. there as fast as normal flash memory and flash memory is more like a hard rive then ram and is much much much much much slower than ram. i mean were talking a turtle versus the starship enterprise at warp 9 in relative speed terms.

so no that cant happen.

what could happen to improve loading times, if ninty allowed it, is for devs to use the internal memory card or SD card as a cache to improve loading times...but thats about it.

on the wireless front...the wii actually uses the highest end ratified standard there is...802.11g. 802.11n, which is better again, has not been ratified and ninty including it would lead to tons of problems with many routers.

as for HD....ninty would need to make a new console. the wii would need hardware improvements accross the board. a completly different and greatly improved GPU, CPU and much more ram (thats faster also) ram would all be essential for the wii to become HD capable. this would require ninty to basically release a new console.

so no....the current wii cant be upgraded the way u describe TC. its a technical impossibility. basically the only thing that can be upgraded is the storage capacity.

#35 Posted by snowman6251 (5321 posts) -

I don't see how something like this could improve graphics or anything like that but all I can think of from something like this is an alternative to SD cards, wii memory cards, and since we already have SD cards whats the point?

then again there was that red thing that came with Donkey Kong 64 and you replaced that black thing with the improved red one to run souped up games like DK and Majoras Mask and pretty much every other game after DK. Something like that I guess could work but that would mean opening your wii and changing some parts inside. Kind of like changing a graphics card in your comp. something that would void warranties and potentially damage your console if done wrong. not like the simple cartridge swap on the N64 so no it won't happen

Avatar image for remmbermytitans
#36 Posted by remmbermytitans (7214 posts) -
I hope we get SOMETHING, but I don't think it's going to be an expansion pack.
Avatar image for baseballboy6411
#37 Posted by baseballboy6411 (1103 posts) -
I hope it happens
#38 Posted by JordanElek (18562 posts) -
This thread had to be cleaned up a bit.... Remember, this is the Wii forum, and this thread is about the Wii, not about any other consoles. Stay on topic. Thanks!
#39 Posted by ThePlothole (11515 posts) -

then again there was that red thing that came with Donkey Kong 64 and you replaced that black thing with the improved red one to run souped up games like DK and Majoras Mask and pretty much every other game after DK. Something like that I guess could work but that would mean opening your wii and changing some parts inside. Kind of like changing a graphics card in your comp. something that would void warranties and potentially damage your console if done wrong. not like the simple cartridge swap on the N64 so no it won't happen

snowman6251
Actually it would be more akin to adding a stick of RAM, since that's literally all the expansion pack did.
#40 Posted by Katana2570 (48 posts) -

This thread had to be cleaned up a bit.... Remember, this is the Wii forum, and this thread is about the Wii, not about any other consoles. Stay on topic. Thanks!JordanElek

Umm, they are talking about the Wii. Can't you see the title, Wii expansion pack. How would an expansion pack for the Wii work in another console???

#41 Posted by ThePlothole (11515 posts) -

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]This thread had to be cleaned up a bit.... Remember, this is the Wii forum, and this thread is about the Wii, not about any other consoles. Stay on topic. Thanks!Katana2570

Umm, they are talking about the Wii. Can't you see the title, Wii expansion pack. How would an expansion pack for the Wii work in another console???

Certain posts in this topic were comparing the Wii to other systems, which isn't allowed except in System Wars.
#42 Posted by nomadph (705 posts) -
they can add the harddrive thingy...using the usb port
#43 Posted by romainsimoni (1955 posts) -

I really don't see that happening.

But, a Wii with a bigger hard drive/more save slots would be nice. Or better yet, allow us to buy extra save slots from the Shop Channel, that would be a lot better than buying another Wii.

RagdollMan98

Lol?