This topic is locked from further discussion.

webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts
Wii DVD player one of the things people started complainning about when the wii 1st came out and now its died down even though it would still be nice to have one. It wouldnt require anything more than a software update a slight rewrite to the wii's frimware would allow for DVD play. They could even sell the software in the wii shop channel....for a reasonable price 5-10 dollars. I just dont no why people stopped complaning about it
Avatar image for XxShadowTongyxX
XxShadowTongyxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 XxShadowTongyxX
Member since 2008 • 414 Posts
Yea its kind of stupid. The Wii games are on DVD format I think, so how could it read those, but not a normal DVD movie? Anyways yea it would be much better if they had a DVD player.
Keenzach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Keenzach
Member since 2006 • 1210 Posts
that would really work? Dude if I knew that i would of kept complaining lol I thought they would have to make a whole new wii but they really should add that in after all it was promissed
webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 webbut

Yea its kind of stupid. The Wii games are on DVD format I think, so how could it read those, but not a normal DVD movie? Anyways yea it would be much better if they had a DVD player.XxShadowTongyxX

They arent on the same format as a DVD that you put in your DVD Player but they are on DVD so the hardware is already there to read them the wii just needs the software to read a movie formated DVD

Scsrhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Scsrhino
Member since 2005 • 232 Posts

I actually hate how game consoles have DVD players. If I want to watch a DVD I will use a DVD player. I don't think that having my system on for 1.5 - 2 hours is good for it. But hey, that is just my opinion.

Keenzach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Keenzach

I actually hate how game consoles have DVD players. If I want to watch a DVD I will use a DVD player. I don't think that having my system on for 1.5 - 2 hours is good for it. But hey, that is just my opinion.

Scsrhino

i have had gaming sessions longer than 2 hours so i dont agree

jjr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 jjr10
Member since 2005 • 5880 Posts

Scsrhino
it's funny as most people spend a lot more time playing games.
kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts
Just me but wouldn't you think in this day and age just about everyone would have some form of a DVD player already in their home? I mean to complain that a console doesn't come with the ability to play DVDs is rather stupid in my eyes, maybe last generation it might have been a valid thing to be annoyed about but today? Really? You mean to tell me that your only hope to watch a DVD is the Wii and you can't spare $30 to get an actual DVD player?
Keenzach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Keenzach

Just me but wouldn't you think in this day and age just about everyone would have some form of a DVD player already in their home? I mean to complain that a console doesn't come with the ability to play DVDs is rather stupid in my eyes, maybe last generation it might have been a valid thing to be annoyed about but today? Really? You mean to tell me that your only hope to watch a DVD is the Wii and you can't spare $30 to get an actual DVD player?kejigoto

yeah we all no the classic fanboy dvd stance but I mean if the other two consoles could have it and even inferior consoles ps2 and xbox have it why shouldnt wii and not only that it was promised back when it was the revolution

webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 webbut

Just me but wouldn't you think in this day and age just about everyone would have some form of a DVD player already in their home? I mean to complain that a console doesn't come with the ability to play DVDs is rather stupid in my eyes, maybe last generation it might have been a valid thing to be annoyed about but today? Really? You mean to tell me that your only hope to watch a DVD is the Wii and you can't spare $30 to get an actual DVD player?kejigoto

my reason for wanting it is pure lazyness i just dont feel like unhooking my wii to watch a dvd and rehooking it for games. Ijust remeber it being a big topic for debateand then just died down and was wondeing why.

WC1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WC1
Member since 2004 • 73 Posts
Besides a firmware update, I think Nintendo would have to pay a royalty to the DVD forum to legally use DVD's. That's probably a big reason why they haven't made it so the Wii could play DVD's given the prevalence of other cheap DVD players.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I don't mind much I have other consoles that have Dvd players in them. But I guess people with only one console would have a bigger problem with this matter.
T-g4amer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 T-g4amer
Member since 2008 • 58 Posts
Well... I heard you can hack your wii to play DVD's, but i still don't no how.
webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 webbut

Well... I heard you can hack your wii to play DVD's, but i still don't no how.T-g4amer

u can but 2 post were just removed from here saying how

Amm795

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Amm795
Member since 2007 • 49 Posts
Everyone has a DVD player why would your wii need to have one too? Anyways within five years everything will be Blu-Ray.
webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 webbut

Everyone has a DVD player why would your wii need to have one too? Anyways within five years everything will be Blu-Ray.Amm795

hope not since i don like giving one company all my money.

Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 Bass7
Member since 2004 • 6614 Posts

Scsrhino

I agree with you.....except for the fact that that I play more than 1.5-2 hours....but yes if you want to watch a DVD, use a DVD player, it's not like it costs an arm an a leg anymore

[QUOTE="Amm795"]Everyone has a DVD player why would your wii need to have one too? Anyways within five years everything will be Blu-Ray.webbut

One company?....I thought several companies make Blu Ray players :?.

guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 guitarist4292
Member since 2006 • 503 Posts

[QUOTE="kejigoto"]Just me but wouldn't you think in this day and age just about everyone would have some form of a DVD player already in their home? I mean to complain that a console doesn't come with the ability to play DVDs is rather stupid in my eyes, maybe last generation it might have been a valid thing to be annoyed about but today? Really? You mean to tell me that your only hope to watch a DVD is the Wii and you can't spare $30 to get an actual DVD player?Keenzach

yeah we all no the classic fanboy dvd stance but I mean if the other two consoles could have it and even inferior consoles ps2 and xbox have it why shouldnt wii and not only that it was promised back when it was the revolution

Because it's pointless
What do I gain by playing a DVD in my Wii instead of my DVD player?
In fact, I lose because I use an up-converter for my HDTV

It's especially rediculous if you're talking about paying for it
Most everyone who has a video game console is guaranteed to have a DVD player
Why would anyone pay for an extra DVD player if they already have one.

It's a waste of money, and in that case, a waste of time on Nintendo's part
With everyone complaining about Nintendo not making better games
Let's let them focus on that instead of a pointless addition.

webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 webbut
[QUOTE="Scsrhino"]

Bass7

I agree with you.....except for the fact that that I play more than 1.5-2 hours....but yes if you want to watch a DVD, use a DVD player, it's not like it costs an arm an a leg anymore

[QUOTE="Amm795"]Everyone has a DVD player why would your wii need to have one too? Anyways within five years everything will be Blu-Ray.webbut

One company?....I thought several companies make Blu Ray players :?.

blue ray sony was a co devlper of the tech i forgot about the other 8 companies that helped make it as well when i made the post

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
[QUOTE="Scsrhino"]

Keenzach

i have had gaming sessions longer than 2 hours so i dont agree

Yeah maybe not for Microsoft's old HotBOX but the Gcube and Wii can be left on for like 8 hours with no problem.
brettneo3012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 brettneo3012
Member since 2003 • 526 Posts
You can buy this software thing for your computer, which compresses the movie to fit on an SD card.. I've never used it though.
kettle11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kettle11
Member since 2007 • 30 Posts

EDIT:

Hmm.. Scratch this post. I'm not allowed to discuss it in these forums. Thought I think it is legal, I don't feel like making anyone angry on my 4th or so post (Definently Not a good start.)

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
Just hack it.
Amvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 Amvis
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts
Game console companies should not bother with other forms of entertainment unless that is their goal. Nintendo has, is, and will probably always just be devoted to games. They started out with cards, and are now making video games. They are a game company and if they don't want to go beyond that then why should they include some movie crap that no one cares about.
dooksz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dooksz
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts
No one buys a console for the dvd anyways so its pretty pointless. The only peopel that actually use their consoles as dvd players are people with PS3(blu-ray) and X-Box 360(HD-DVD).
kettle11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kettle11
Member since 2007 • 30 Posts

I think they should add the feature in. While many of us can't find a use for it. Some people might be able to. Nintendo's target audience probably would find it pretty neat if they didn't need their old DVD player taking up space.

For me, the irony would be too great. Having my 360 stationed on top of my DVD player with the Wii sitting next to it, that could be a little much. I'm fine as I am now. I only need two DVD players per TV.

Virus214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Virus214
Member since 2007 • 2052 Posts

Scsrhino

You are better off running your wii 24/7 then leaving it in standby, if thats what you do. when its on, it actually moves the air, instead of the heat just sitting there. but your best bet is to keep it off, with the red light.

Scsrhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Scsrhino
Member since 2005 • 232 Posts
[QUOTE="Scsrhino"]

Bass7

Between work and school, and just life I only can throw in about an hour or two. Also TVs have about 2-4 inputs/usb dock nowadays so no need to unplug your Wii and plug in a DVD Player.