Why the Switch, when considering multiplat games?

#1 Posted by mk_1 (30 posts) -

Had a Switch since day one, and I really enjoy all aspects of it (I'm still not convinced about online though). My question is - to those who have other platforms, PS4, Xbox etc...why do you choose the Switch when buying a multiplat game? I also own an XB1 S but still choose multi plat games on my Switch. Is portability your main reason?

#2 Posted by sakaiXx (4852 posts) -

I have a switch alongside ps4 and pc but I will never choose switch ver over ps4 or pc unless its for specific reasons like I have no more games on switch to play or, the graphics holds up comparably to other versions. Portable doesnt mean sht to me due to switch is docked about 99% of time. That said, my only multiplat on switch is Stardew Valley, dead cell and atelier arland deluxe pack.... Its not that many I know...

#3 Posted by npiet1 (1627 posts) -

I don't, for me it's an exclusive console only. I'll only buy games for it I can't get on other consoles or pc

#4 Posted by Sevenizz (2830 posts) -

I used to love having a Nintendo console as a back up to an Xbox, but lately I see no reason to buy one. I’m not 12 so portability means nothing to me. I play mostly online and the Switch literally offers me nothing. I don’t care about Fortnight or Rocket League and even if I did, I wouldn’t buy them for the Switch due to they’re very poor online service.

Sorry N, you’re out this generation for me. Maybe next time.

#5 Posted by mk_1 (30 posts) -

All great points here, opening up the discussion. I thought most would be based around performance, aesthetics, 1st party exclusives etc. I guess for me, it's more on lifestyle at the moment. Having two kids under 3 means I would have to utilize the portability for pick up/ put down gaming, if I ever get the chance until they're asleep.

#6 Posted by Vaidream45 (1616 posts) -

Portability

Love the Pro Comtroller

The Switch OS is simple and fast. One tap and controller is off. Two taps and the system is asleep. 3 taps and I’m right back where I left off in about 2 seconds. It just suits my needs as someone who gets up every 20 minutes to get water or pee and do something really quick. With my lifestyle every day I would have a dead PS4 controller and have to wait for a charge.

#7 Posted by Mandzilla (3290 posts) -

@Sevenizz: Switch has awesome exclusives, Xbox... not so much.

#8 Posted by Mandzilla (3290 posts) -

I don't see a reason to own any of the other consoles as well as the Switch. Always preferred handhelds, and the stuff on Xbox and PS4 just ain't that interesting to me. No point in getting either one for just a couple of titles.

In terms of multiplats, whatever comes to the Switch is a bonus. A lot of third party stuff has been disappointing micro-transaction scams this gen anyway.

#9 Posted by Sevenizz (2830 posts) -

@mandzilla: Taste is relative, you realize.

#10 Posted by Mandzilla (3290 posts) -

@Sevenizz: Yeah that's true.

#11 Edited by Jetsfan122 (117 posts) -

I have the Switch mainly for exclusives . The only multiplat I have is Diablo 3 and I must admit , I do enjoy playing it on my couch on occasion , rather than where it is docked .

#12 Posted by KBFloYd (21366 posts) -

multiplats i own on switch

abzu (indie game graphics are on par. switch is my main platform so iwanted to have it there)
crash insane trilogy ( graphics are on par. switch is my main platform so iwanted to have it there)
nba playgrounds 2 (graphics are on par. switch is my main platform so iwanted to have it there)
wolfenstein II (i wanted to play it with motion control aiming)
resident evil revelations ( i wanted to play it with motion control aiming)
street fighter 20th anniversary collection ( is 16bit graphics so who cares. also switch is my main system so i wanted to have it there)
yookahh laylee (indie game. graphics are on par. wanted to have it on my main system)
sega genesis classics collection/capcom beat up bundle (16bit graphics so who cares. i wanted it on my main system)
RBI baseball 18 (graphics are the same. wanted it on my main system)
rayman legends (graphics are on par. switch has extra touch screen levels)
lego city undercover (graphics are cartoony anyway. got it on switch)

#13 Edited by KBFloYd (21366 posts) -

oh and fortnite (i wanted to play it with motion control aiming)
la noire (switch has motion control aiming)

i suck with dual analog sticks btw...

#14 Posted by Sepewrath (30052 posts) -

I play my Switch more than any other system, I played Doom entirely in my downtime at work. So I'll be getting MK11 and Doom Eternal on Switch.

#15 Posted by Ovirew (8608 posts) -

I think some multiplats are Switch-worthy, but I mostly see it as being a system for exclusives.

I always wondered if I would enjoy a game like Skyrim more on the Switch, due to the portability of it.

If certain games were on the Switch I might get them since I'm not a big fan of PC gaming, and much prefer games on a console.

#16 Posted by drvikasgupta (12 posts) -

nice post

#17 Posted by Speeny (1095 posts) -

Sometimes it’s more comfortable for me to play portable rather than having to play on the big screen. Plus, a lot of the time my siblings want to use the TV so it’s a good way to avoid dramas. Lol. I think it’s also for the fact that I can play wherever whenever sort of thing.