Why is the gamepad so quiet? (both speakers and headset)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by soundcellx (976 posts) -

Games are not that loud at full max, and some videos on Netflix are incredibly quiet. 

I wish there was an update to improve the volume of the gamepad.  

#2 Posted by KBFloYd (19568 posts) -

depends on the game...batman is pretty loud on the gamepad....mass effect not as much..

some of the game have music volume controls in the game also...might help some.

but i can tell you the gamepad is much louder than a 3DS..

Avatar image for CaptainGamespot
#3 Posted by CaptainGamespot (616 posts) -
update won't help, i don't think. it's a hardware thing, the speakers aren't very big compared to what you may be used too. I have the same problem from pretty much all my portable devices.
#4 Posted by Sokol4ever (6693 posts) -

Yeah, it could be little louder but I find it normal in the quiet evening. Now, when the little kiddo is being noisy I could use little more volume control. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#5 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -
Depends on the headphones. You need a separate amp for better phones, even on iPods.
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
#6 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2107 posts) -
I believe is part of Nintendo policy not to make HW that may impair any of your senses. I really dislike it as, for example, in my 3DS, I had to buy very expensive noise cancelling headphones and I still can't hear properly in the open street. Regards.
#7 Posted by soundcellx (976 posts) -

Depends on the headphones. You need a separate amp for better phones, even on iPods. Heirren

Yeah, I usually use iPod earbuds but have also tried my Sony MDRV-700 headphones. Both are quiet. 

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#8 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Depends on the headphones. You need a separate amp for better phones, even on iPods. soundcellx

Yeah, I usually use iPod earbuds but have also tried my Sony MDRV-700 headphones. Both are quiet. 

I use a pair of Sennheisers(cx300s I believe) and the volume at maximum is actually too loud.
#9 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11238 posts) -

Based on my experience, I'm worried you may have hearing loss...JK

Seriously though, The gamepad can reach a much higher volume than what I generally keep my tv at so I'm good. I usually keep the gamepad at a little under half volume

#10 Posted by Cloud_765 (111404 posts) -
Wait the 3DS is pretty loud as max volume... If it's louder than the 3DS then why are we complaining that "it's not loud enough"... Are we bad of hearing or something? :P Or do we need our GamePads destroying our ears? XD
#11 Posted by soundcellx (976 posts) -

Wait the 3DS is pretty loud as max volume... If it's louder than the 3DS then why are we complaining that "it's not loud enough"... Are we bad of hearing or something? :P Or do we need our GamePads destroying our ears? XD Cloud_765

Are you speaking of the regular 3DS, because we're talking about the XL that is quieter than both the NDS and 3DS?

The XL is far quieter than the normal 3DS.