Why is Super Smash Bros. Brawl rated T and Punch-Out!! rated E 10+

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

When in actuallity Punch-Out!! depicts violence in a more realistic fasion. Your oponents get bruised up the more you beat on them. In brawl they remain the same no matter what. If anything the ESRB ratings should be switched around. Brawl should be "E 10+" and Punch-Out should be "T".

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
because the ESRB made it that way
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

Maybe it's because Brawl has guns and farting...

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Punch-Out!! was given a rating of E10+ because it featured Cartoon Violence and Comic Mischief

SSBB was given a rating of T because it featured Cartoon Violence and Crude Humor

I guess Crude Humor is more serious then Comic Mischief.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Brawl uses weapons, so it is rated higher. It would be a different story is Soda Popniski was still Vodka though. With the ESRB' ambiguous umbrella system, certain elements automatically equal certain ratings. Weapons(especially real ones) is an auto T.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pikminmaniac

I also think that the ratial stereotypes used in Punch-Out!! should get some attention by the ESRB as well.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sepewrath
Racial stereotypes does not fit into the ESRB umbrella ratings and certainly not such a cartoonish take on it. What you think it should get an M rating because it has a Russian guy drinking soda?
HipYoungster42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HipYoungster42
Member since 2009 • 1892 Posts

lol What's up with Brawl with getting a "Crude Humor" label from the ESRB? Is Wario's farting move really big enough to actually deem Brawl of that label? I've never understood that.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Despite both games containing "cartoon violence," Super Smash Bros. Brawl presents a larger variety of dangerous situations. Not only are the weapons a valid point, but also think about things like being ran over by vehicles or getting caught into explosions as part of what can happen to you, which are definitely more dangerous in real-life than getting punched.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sepewrath

Despite both games containing "cartoon violence," Super Smash Bros. Brawl presents a larger variety of dangerous situations. Not only are the weapons a valid point, but also think about things like being ran over by vehicles or getting caught into explosions as part of what can happen to you, which are definitely more dangerous in real-life than getting punched.

Madmangamer364
There's nothing more dangerous in real life than getting star punched, people die that way.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Fan128
Nintendo_Fan128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Nintendo_Fan128
Member since 2006 • 4270 Posts

The violence depicted in Brawl is more realistic than the one in Punch Out, which's more cartoonish.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
This is a recent pet peeve of mine actually. It seems we have E, E10, and T and they all look about the same content wise. Really, I can't tell much of a difference between these ratings. Yet, 'M' I have no idea what I'm really going to get. Some 'M' I get one maybe two gore scenes in one game (console oblivion), and in the next game every other word is an F*bomb, hookers, and drugs (GTA) - It seems like they got over zealous with the earlier rankings and left this huge nebulous void that is 'M'...
rolfboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rolfboy
Member since 2006 • 1137 Posts
Maybe it is because of Solid Snake's codec convos, particularly the one with Samus. Though Melee also got a T rating as well so it might just be standard for fighting games.
Nintenkid49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nintenkid49
Member since 2009 • 3977 Posts

The violence depicted in Brawl is more realistic than the one in Punch Out, which's more cartoonish.

Nintendo_Fan128

are you kidding me?

Nintendo_Fan128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nintendo_Fan128

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Fan128"]

Nintenkid49

are you kidding me?

In Brawl, you can throw grenades, fire guns, make explosions... in Punch Out, you're a cel shaded boxer. There's a big difference.

Nintenkid49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nintenkid49
Member since 2009 • 3977 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintenkid49"]

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Fan128"]

Nintendo_Fan128

are you kidding me?

In Brawl, you can throw grenades, fire guns, make explosions... in Punch Out, you're a cel shaded boxer. There's a big difference.

Play Modern Warfare 2, then come talk to me about realism. Brawl is about as non realistic as you can get.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

Sepewrath

There's nothing more dangerous in real life than getting star punched, people die that way.

LOL, touche. Touche... XD

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

This is a recent pet peeve of mine actually. It seems we have E, E10, and T and they all look about the same content wise. Really, I can't tell much of a difference between these ratings. Yet, 'M' I have no idea what I'm really going to get. Some 'M' I get one maybe two gore scenes in one game (console oblivion), and in the next game every other word is an F*bomb, hookers, and drugs (GTA) - It seems like they got over zealous with the earlier rankings and left this huge nebulous void that is 'M'...raahsnavj

There is a solution but it is very complex and hard to understand. The solution is to turn the case over and read the back of it. On the back is the complete ESRB label and then you would know the degree.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#20 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

but the art style used is cartoonish ,/cell shaded that makes a difference, it looks comical ,

just because theres blood in it dont mean its a t rated game

lets look at trauma center , which is rated e ,,

it deals with you cutting things open or somthing like that ,

it can also be because brawl had weapons such as -hammers ,(ala wwe) guns knives bombs etc

punchout doesnt have weapons ,

its just a boxing game like in wii sports

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 raahsnavj

[QUOTE="raahsnavj"]This is a recent pet peeve of mine actually. It seems we have E, E10, and T and they all look about the same content wise. Really, I can't tell much of a difference between these ratings. Yet, 'M' I have no idea what I'm really going to get. Some 'M' I get one maybe two gore scenes in one game (console oblivion), and in the next game every other word is an F*bomb, hookers, and drugs (GTA) - It seems like they got over zealous with the earlier rankings and left this huge nebulous void that is 'M'...Burning-Sludge

There is a solution but it is very complex and hard to understand. The solution is to turn the case over and read the back of it. On the back is the complete ESRB label and then you would know the degree.

First off, your tone stinks but I'll humor you. I know the labels exist and I use them... but what you get is a bunch of people that look only at the letter. Like this topic. E10 or T... well by reading these same labels you pointed out it answers the question... No debate left. The reason I would like to distinguish between 'M' GTA and 'M' Mass Effect is publishers and the likes only see 'M' games sell! It would be nice for them to see some of the granularity of what type of 'M' sells. As with parents, most just look at the label letter and leave it be. I think more people should be able to play lightweight, but current 'M' titles like mass effect, but some parents see M and instantly ban it from their teenagers. Not all "M" is created equal, and most people are not smart enough to read the label, like you have pointed out, for better or worse. Why and how did they come up with EC, E, E10, T, M, and AO? AO is already banned from consoles, E, E10, and T almost look the same to me in 99% of accounts, and then 'M' If they are going to bother with E, E10, and T, why not bother to make a Mid-Teens (T+) which fits light 'M', a 'M', and an M:AO (edited AO that barely passes to M) and AO... or they could go the other way: EC, NM (not M), and M and just stick to the nice little descriptors... I personally find the full descriptions on the esrb site to be better all around, but good luck getting them to put that on the box (nor do most people want them to).
Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Burning-Sludge

lets look at trauma center , which is rated e ,,

it deals with you cutting things open or somthing like that ,

mariokart64fan

There has not been an E rated Trauma Center.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Burning-Sludge

First off, your tone stinks but I'll humor you. I know the labels exist and I use them... but what you get is a bunch of people that look only at the letter. Like this topic. E10 or T... well by reading these same labels you pointed out it answers the question... No debate left. The reason I would like to distinguish between 'M' GTA and 'M' Mass Effect is publishers and the likes only see 'M' games sell! It would be nice for them to see some of the granularity of what type of 'M' sells. As with parents, most just look at the label letter and leave it be. I think more people should be able to play lightweight, but current 'M' titles like mass effect, but some parents see M and instantly ban it from their teenagers. Not all "M" is created equal, and most people are not smart enough to read the label, like you have pointed out, for better or worse. Why and how did they come up with EC, E, E10, T, M, and AO? AO is already banned from consoles, E, E10, and T almost look the same to me in 99% of accounts, and then 'M' If they are going to bother with E, E10, and T, why not bother to make a Mid-Teens (T+) which fits light 'M', a 'M', and an M:AO (edited AO that barely passes to M) and AO... or they could go the other way: EC, NM (not M), and M and just stick to the nice little descriptors... I personally find the full descriptions on the esrb site to be better all around, but good luck getting them to put that on the box (nor do most people want them to).raahsnavj

The whole ESRB thing was created to prevent politicians from using the power of government to destroy the gaming industry. Other than that it gives some general input on the content for to help aid game selection by people and families. M rated games are not banned from Mid-Teen(or little kids) it is a recommendation.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 raahsnavj

[QUOTE="raahsnavj"] First off, your tone stinks but I'll humor you. I know the labels exist and I use them... but what you get is a bunch of people that look only at the letter. Like this topic. E10 or T... well by reading these same labels you pointed out it answers the question... No debate left. The reason I would like to distinguish between 'M' GTA and 'M' Mass Effect is publishers and the likes only see 'M' games sell! It would be nice for them to see some of the granularity of what type of 'M' sells. As with parents, most just look at the label letter and leave it be. I think more people should be able to play lightweight, but current 'M' titles like mass effect, but some parents see M and instantly ban it from their teenagers. Not all "M" is created equal, and most people are not smart enough to read the label, like you have pointed out, for better or worse. Why and how did they come up with EC, E, E10, T, M, and AO? AO is already banned from consoles, E, E10, and T almost look the same to me in 99% of accounts, and then 'M' If they are going to bother with E, E10, and T, why not bother to make a Mid-Teens (T+) which fits light 'M', a 'M', and an M:AO (edited AO that barely passes to M) and AO... or they could go the other way: EC, NM (not M), and M and just stick to the nice little descriptors... I personally find the full descriptions on the esrb site to be better all around, but good luck getting them to put that on the box (nor do most people want them to).Burning-Sludge

The whole ESRB thing was created to prevent politicians from using the power of government to destroy the gaming industry. Other than that it gives some general input on the content for to help aid game selection by people and families. M rated games are not banned from Mid-Teen(or little kids) it is a recommendation.

really? last I checked there are heavy fines for selling 'M' games to minors. Maybe you live in a 2nd rate country?
Dycras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dycras
Member since 2009 • 1226 Posts

its because brawl is all about fighting and that's all you do in the game....and for some crude humor a certain wario character does >_>

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

It's most likely because Brawl has weapons. For the guy who said the game has "racial stereotypes," the game actually had national stereotypes. Glass Joe, Bear Hugger, Aaron Ryan and Super Macho Man are all caucasians. Also, the national stereotypes are done in good humor. The game came from a Japanese country and they even poked fun at themselves with Piston Honda.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pikminmaniac

It's most likely because Brawl has weapons. For the guy who said the game has "racial stereotypes," the game actually had national stereotypes. Glass Joe, Bear Hugger, Aaron Ryan and Super Macho Man are all caucasians. Also, the national stereotypes are done in good humor. The game came from a Japanese country and they even poked fun at themselves with Piston Honda.

Bubble_Man

Correction, the game came from Canada and they poke fun at themselves with Bear Hugger. Next Level games developed the game and they are situated in vancouver. Makes me glad that my favourite Wii game was made in my home country

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pikminmaniac

its because brawl is all about fighting and that's all you do in the game....and for some crude humor a certain wario character does >_>

Dycras

UMMM... What's Punch-Out all about then? You can actually do things other than fighting in Brawl (target test, home-run contest, coin launcher). The ONLY thing you can do in Punch-Out is fight opponents.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sepewrath

Play Modern Warfare 2, then come talk to me about realism. Brawl is about as non realistic as you can get.Nintenkid49

lol Modern Warfare isn't exactly the biggest example of realism in video games

I have to agree with raahsnavjthe umbrella system the ESRB used leaves something to be desired. Take M rated games, if it doesn't fit into thier general template, it has a one way ticket to AO or being censored. Thats annoying, take the upcoming game on the PS3 Heavy Rain, there is a scene in there where one of the main femalecharacters is topless, that I guarantee is taken out because it doesn't fit into the basic M rating guidelines even though it tasteful, you may not run into it and its not anything you cant see in an R rated movie. raahsnavj is right, not all games are created equally, the ESRB should be more active and thorough with thier ratings so that they don't hold back games.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#30 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Because in Punch-Out you can't beat someone over the head with a baseball bat, roast them alive with a Legendary Pokemon and then throw a walking time-bomb at them to have them fly off of the screen until they have no lives left. And you can't be eaten by a giant strawberry. And you can't fire guns.

That's why Super Smash Bros. Brawl is rated T and Punch-Out!! is not.

dkrustyklown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dkrustyklown
Member since 2009 • 2387 Posts

To answer the thread's question: guns & bombs.

That is all.

Nintendo_Fan128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nintendo_Fan128

Play Modern Warfare 2, then come talk to me about realism. Brawl is about as non realistic as you can get.Nintenkid49

I'm not saying it's MW2 realistic, but it's certainly more realistic than Punch Out with its cartoonish animations and cel-shaded graphics, especially when you see chracters like Snake fighting.

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#33 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

why'd you care about T or E anyway? :?

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

[QUOTE="Bubble_Man"]

Pikminmaniac

Correction, the game came from Canada and they poke fun at themselves with Bear Hugger. Next Level games developed the game and they are situated in vancouver. Makes me glad that my favourite Wii game was made in my home country

True, the actual programming was done in Canada. However, I was thinking more about the characters andthe entire concept of Punch Out,which came out of Japan. Miyamoto was still a producer for this one.

Dycras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dycras
Member since 2009 • 1226 Posts

[QUOTE="Dycras"]

Pikminmaniac

UMMM... What's Punch-Out all about then? You can actually do things other than fighting in Brawl (target test, home-run contest, coin launcher). The ONLY thing you can do in Punch-Out is fight opponents.

ya, but in a MUCH more cartoony style, while this is a lot more serious than punch out (even though it is somewhat cartoony at times too)

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts

bob_newman
Yeah the weapons is the difference.
k16campbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 k16campbell
Member since 2008 • 660 Posts

bob_newman

Exactly :lol:

Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
Punch-Out is a cartoon depiction of a sport. Brawl is a cartoon depiction of killing people.