Why is it bad that third-parties don't sell on Wii?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nash-MVPx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nash-MVPx2
Member since 2007 • 772 Posts

I've been reading people's comments about it, and I also read the quote from that Xbox executive who criticized the Wii's success by saying something along the lines of: "Their success can't sustain itself because it's relying on first-party games only". But I don't think I fully understand the issue. Can someone explain to me why it's such a horrible thing?

Is it because future developers won't want to develop games for Nintendo? If that's the case, who really cares? Nintendo fans want Nintendo because of its franchises: Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros., and Mario Kart. I don't know about you guys, but those five games are enough for me to stick with Nintendo for the rest of my gaming life.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Third parties make more money selling less units on the Wii then they do other platforms selling more.

The number of units don't matter if the dev is still making money

Avatar image for DrummerDude1010
DrummerDude1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 DrummerDude1010
Member since 2007 • 891 Posts
Your right, but there are lots of different types of games that nintendo doesnt do. For example, war games. Nintendo never does those. People sometimes want other games. But your right, we dont really need them, we just want them.
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
If third parties can't sell games on the Wii then they'll stop making games for it. Then the Wii will end up being another GameCube. Then we won't have any games other than first party Nintendo games and we'll only get about 3 of those year, if that. So we'll all be sitting there with Wii's that we won't play because there arn't any games.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

Regardless of the Wii's system sales, if third parties titles don't sell they will drop support just like they did for the GC and N64.

Don't you want a wide variety games to choose from instead of just Nintendo games? I bought a Wii mainly for 1st party titles too, but eventually you want something different too.

dinofan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 dinofan01
Member since 2007 • 1697 Posts
because if 3rd party games dont sell well on wii they publishers wont publish the game because they know theyll lose money. a console cant run on 1st party games alone. just look at the gamecube. that thing barely survived
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

If third parties can't sell games on the Wii then they'll stop making games for it. Then the Wii will end up being another GameCube. Then we won't have any games other than first party Nintendo games and we'll only get about 3 of those year, if that. So we'll all be sitting there with Wii's that we won't play because there arn't any games.
PlasmaBeam44

ya my wii enjoys a lot of alone time between nintendos first party games. finished galaxy in a couple weeks and havent played the wii since, untill ssbb comes out that is. to bad the wifi for that game isnt deep enough to keep its play value up, without leaderboards its just random fun.

Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts

because if 3rd party games dont sell well on wii they publishers wont publish the game because they know theyll lose money.dinofan01

The problem is that the majority of 3rd-party support has just been offering complete garbage to the system; it's their fault, not Nintendos.

Hell, Nintendo is giving them a large break by having the licensing/SDK pricings extremely low in comparison to the 360/PS3, there's no excuse for not having a proper budget to actually make a game that doesn't suck.

Nash-MVPx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nash-MVPx2
But the system can still survive right? It's not as if Nintendo will shut down if third-party games don't sell. As long as their console is selling big, it's here to stay right? Regardless of the success or failure of third-party games?
dinofan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dinofan01

But the system can still survive right? It's not as if Nintendo will shut down if third-party games don't sell. As long as their console is selling big, it's here to stay right? Regardless of the success or failure of third-party games?Nash-MVPx2

no as good as 1st party games are. it cant sustain an average player. knowing that the wii doesnt have many games on it drives the consumer away. just becasue its doing great now doesnt mean it still cant fail.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kenakuma

third part games get pretty bad reviews for the wii, expecially when they come out on rival systems like 360 and ps3, which support better graphics, better online, controlls, etc..

games like madden, if u had a 360 and a wii, you'll probably end up getting it for the 360.

-kazoku-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -kazoku-
Member since 2004 • 116 Posts

[QUOTE="dinofan01"]because if 3rd party games dont sell well on wii they publishers wont publish the game because they know theyll lose money.Genexi2

The problem is that the majority of 3rd-party support has just been offering complete garbage to the system; it's their fault, not Nintendos.

Hell, Nintendo is giving them a large break by having the licensing/SDK pricings extremely low in comparison to the 360/PS3, there's no excuse for not having a proper budget to actually make a game that doesn't suck.

Nintendo must also carry some of the blame on this one. NOA president Reginald Fils-Aime recently stated that Nintendo doesn't check for quality because quality is 'subjective'. Obviously if the definition "complete garbage" can be applied to any piece of software, Fils-Aime's opinion of the subjectivity of quality lacks any foundation in reality.

dinofan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dinofan01
[QUOTE="Genexi2"]

[QUOTE="dinofan01"]because if 3rd party games dont sell well on wii they publishers wont publish the game because they know theyll lose money.patriel_m

Nintendo must also carry some of the blame on this one. NOA president Reginald Fils-Aime recently stated that Nintendo doesn't check for quality because quality is 'subjective'. Obviously if the definition "complete garbage" can be applied to any piece of software, Fils-Aime's opinion of the subjectivity of quality lacks any foundation in reality.

not really. most players like ourselves will think a game like wii play or carnival games is stupid but many casuals will love those games. just look at the sales of those games. carnival games is close to having more sales them metroid. regie is right about this

pikma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pikma
Member since 2004 • 483 Posts
well

the wii isn't going to be another GameCube

that's the only thing i'm sure about
Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts
[QUOTE="patriel_m"]

dinofan01

not really. most players like ourselves will think a game like wii play or carnival games is stupid but many casuals will love those games. just look at the sales of those games. carnival games is close to having more sales them metroid. regie is right about this

Aside from the fact it does bring-in garbage, it also makes the Wii less-intimidating to develop for because of that. It didn't affect the DS much at all aside from hogging a row of games in your local game shop.

-kazoku-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -kazoku-

to Yoshifanatic:

Sales numbers do not equate quality. Do you really believe that Carnival Games is a better game than Metroid Prime: Corruption? I'd be hard pressed to find anyone on these boards that would admit to that. The fact that their is a huge influx of uneducated gamers who bought the Wii is what leads to those kinds of figures. It doesn't matter how many copies Ninjabread Man sells, it still sucks.

dinofan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dinofan01

to Yoshifanatic:

Sales numbers do not equate quality. Do you really believe that Carnival Games is a better game than Metroid Prime: Corruption. I'd be hard pressed to find anyone on these boards that would admit to that. The fact that their is a huge influx of uneducated gamers who bought the Wii is what leads to those kinds of figures. It doesn't matter how many copies Ninjabread Man sells, it still sucks.

patriel_m

first of the name isnt Yoshifanatic anyomore. im not saying th game is beter. but no casual would play metroid. no matter how fun or easy to pick up it is. if nintendo stopped allowing games like carnival games to come out alot publishers wont put put for the wii at all. most publishers see as any easy way to sell crapppy games for cheap and get alot of money back thats it. they know hardcore 3rd party games dont sell well. that would lead them to not publish games for wii which means those casuals would have nothing to play. thedy would sell their wiis and tell every other casual that the wii sucked because it had no good games

-kazoku-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -kazoku-
[QUOTE="patriel_m"]

to Yoshifanatic:

Sales numbers do not equate quality. Do you really believe that Carnival Games is a better game than Metroid Prime: Corruption. I'd be hard pressed to find anyone on these boards that would admit to that. The fact that their is a huge influx of uneducated gamers who bought the Wii is what leads to those kinds of figures. It doesn't matter how many copies Ninjabread Man sells, it still sucks.

dinofan01

first of the name isnt Yoshifanatic anyomore. im not saying th game is beter. but no casual would play metroid. no matter how fun or easy to pick up it is. if nintendo stopped allowing games like carnival games to come out alot publishers wont put put for the wii at all. most publishers see as any easy way to sell crapppy games for cheap and get alot of money back thats it. they know hardcore 3rd party games dont sell well. that would lead them to not publish games for wii which means those casuals would have nothing to play. thedy would sell their wiis and tell every other casual that the wii sucked because it had no good games

Call me crazy but I see that as a good thing. I'd rather have it that way. Nintendo should learn how to produce games for those outside of thei rabid first-party junkie fanbase. There are many more ways to be innovative than coming up with a new controller.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kenakuma

just sad to see the wii not using its innovation towards any of its popular franchises yet. like the way phantom hourglass utilized the touch screen, like i said though just wait for the next zelda it should be amazing and hopefully turn this system around.

other than that publishers seem to just want to make the next mini game bundle for the wii, just like they were doing for the ds at the begining.

Nash-MVPx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nash-MVPx2

just sad to see the wii not using its innovation towards any of its popular franchises yet. like the way phantom hourglass utilized the touch screen, like i said though just wait for the next zelda it should be amazing and hopefully turn this system around.

other than that publishers seem to just want to make the next mini game bundle for the wii, just like they were doing for the ds at the begining.

kenakuma

Am I missing something? I was under the impression that the Wii DOES make use of its innovation for their popular franchise... Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Mario Kart all have motion-controls and innovative features.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kenakuma
[QUOTE="kenakuma"]

Nash-MVPx2

Am I missing something? I was under the impression that the Wii DOES make use of its innovation for their popular franchise... Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Mario Kart all have motion-controls and innovative features.

Zelda for the wii was originally for GC so it barely does anything special with the wii controls, mario galaxy also never did anything AMAZING with the wii mote. im waiting for more of a phantom hourglass caliber innovation game, that game used the touch screen to basically rewrite how a zelda game is played.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

It is bad because Nintendo do things Nintendo's way, I would not want to be with out their games but I would also like to see the Wii's controls used in different ways which Nintendo themselves may not.

I was hoping for something like a survival horror heavy on darkness with the remote surving as your direction for the light, or a third person action game along the line of DMC or GOW that wasn't as awful as SC legends or that dragon blade game.

I did buy the Wii for first party stuff, but I was hoping prior to launch that the promising stuff we were seeing from 3rd partys would make the Wii a step back to the Nintendo of the Snes days when 3rd party support was strong.

Nash-MVPx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nash-MVPx2

Zelda for the wii was originally for GC so it barely does anything special with the wii controls, mario galaxy also never did anything AMAZING with the wii mote. im waiting for more of a phantom hourglass caliber innovation game, that game used the touch screen to basically rewrite how a zelda game is played.kenakuma

I think you're being a little too picky dude... Zelda's controls are amazingly well done. And yeah, it was developed for gamecube originally, but the similarities stop there. It's the same graphics engine, but the mechanics are totally different. There's a huge difference between tapping 'A' to swing your sword as opposed to swinging the remote with your own hand. And there's a difference between using a thumb stick to aim your projectiles as opposed to aiming them with your own hand.

And Metroid, well, its controls are just flat out orgasmic... The best the Wii has offered yet IMO. (Perhaps tied with Medal of Honor: Heroes 2). Swinging the nunchuk forward and pulling it back to break shields and stuff, or pushing in the remote and turning it in certain directions, it makes the gaming experience so much more immersive and enjoyable.

Is there room for improvement? Sure. Nothing is perfect, and there's always going to be something bigger and better coming out as the years go by. But I think we have to give Nintendo full credit for what they've accomplished so far with the Wii - it's truly been a revolutionary experience.

dinofan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dinofan01
[QUOTE="dinofan01"][QUOTE="patriel_m"]

to Yoshifanatic:

patriel_m

Call me crazy but I see that as a good thing. I'd rather have it that way. Nintendo should learn how to produce games for those outside of thei rabid first-party junkie fanbase. There are many more ways to be innovative than coming up with a new controller.

so you want the wii to fail? because if that happens your looking at the next gamecube

1upMushroomX6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25 1upMushroomX6
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts

well simple law of money making, wii isnt that focused toward the older group... yes older people make money

third parties are afraid of pushing the wii.

everyone is familar with xbox 360 and ps3

xbox 360 and ps3 have better online

mostly now and days all the developement and primary focus is toward first person shooters... and with online multiplayer

and so far we haven't seen any of the last two currently on the wii...

Nash-MVPx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nash-MVPx2
mostly now and days all the developement and primary focus is toward first person shooters... and with online multiplayer

and so far we haven't seen any of the last two currently on the wii...

1upMushroomX6

Is Medal of Honor not an online-enabled FPS?

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

1upMushroomX6

That's what I'm sick. FPS is probably the most overrated and oversaturated genre now. When Doom and Unreal Tournament were on PC in the late 90s, that was cool. Now, it's the same trash. You walk as a gun, find some new weapons and kill people or monsters. Infact, I'm glad it's not a FPS that won the GOTY. It could be anything that would be GOTY but not a FPS.

You won't see me getting a 360 very soon. I thought it was goind to change from the original Xbox to the 360. It's now worse.

As for the 3rd party, I said it before and I'll say again. As long it's original 1st party or 3rd party, I'll be interested on this game. Also, if the 3rd party could take some time and money on their products with some ads, the game will sell.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kenakuma

[QUOTE="kenakuma"]Zelda for the wii was originally for GC so it barely does anything special with the wii controls, mario galaxy also never did anything AMAZING with the wii mote. im waiting for more of a phantom hourglass caliber innovation game, that game used the touch screen to basically rewrite how a zelda game is played.Nash-MVPx2

I think you're being a little too picky dude... Zelda's controls are amazingly well done. And yeah, it was developed for gamecube originally, but the similarities stop there. It's the same graphics engine, but the mechanics are totally different. There's a huge difference between tapping 'A' to swing your sword as opposed to swinging the remote with your own hand. And there's a difference between using a thumb stick to aim your projectiles as opposed to aiming them with your own hand.

And Metroid, well, its controls are just flat out orgasmic... The best the Wii has offered yet IMO. (Perhaps tied with Medal of Honor: Heroes 2). Swinging the nunchuk forward and pulling it back to break shields and stuff, or pushing in the remote and turning it in certain directions, it makes the gaming experience so much more immersive and enjoyable.

Is there room for improvement? Sure. Nothing is perfect, and there's always going to be something bigger and better coming out as the years go by. But I think we have to give Nintendo full credit for what they've accomplished so far with the Wii - it's truly been a revolutionary experience.

well i wouldnt say theres a huge difference between tapping A to swing your sword and shaking the wii mote. its still a basic action resulting in the same out come. now if the game swung the sword in the same direction u swung the wii mote.....stuff like that would be more interseting.

-kazoku-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -kazoku-
[QUOTE="patriel_m"][QUOTE="dinofan01"][QUOTE="patriel_m"]

to Yoshifanatic:

dinofan01

so you want the wii to fail? because if that happens your looking at the next gamecube

Why should not succeeding on the casual front equal failure? I just want my gaming to remain unadulterated. Nintendo should figure out how to do that in a way that doesn't compromise the level of quality we've grown used to. That's a business strategy employed the world over. Given Nintendo's famed innovative nature, that shouldn't be too difficult.

pikma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pikma
Member since 2004 • 483 Posts
i've always said

if 3rd party games don't sell, is because people is not interested in their product, and by that, it means that, people doesn't like their product

so...
the 3rd party companies have 2 options

A) try again, and harder, to make better games that would actually be appealing

or

B) blame the gamers for not buying it and back off the support given to the console (in this case, the wii)

it's a shame that always the option they choose is B...

i mean, if 3rd party companies leave because they don't sell their products

heck! it's not our fault
nor nintendo's fault

if we don't like a game, we are not going to buy it just to keep the support of 3rd party companies
also
if they want our money, they need to do games that we actually would be interested in
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kenakuma

im starting to think nintendo cant keep up with microsoft and sony, i mean these are two MAJOR corporations that put the very best into their systems in all categories video, online, etc.. so nintendo is evolving with all these new gimicks to stay in the competition. its a smart idea and is workinh for now..

its just not the same competition sega gave nintendo in the old days.

Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jazunn
Member since 2007 • 666 Posts

i've always said

if 3rd party games don't sell, is because people is not interested in their product, and by that, it means that, people doesn't like their product

so...

or

B) blame the gamers for not buying it and back off the support given to the console (in this case, the wii)

heck! it's not our fault
nor nintendo's fault

if we don't like a game, we are not going to buy it just to keep the support of 3rd party companies
also
if they want our money, they need to do games that actually we would be interested in

pikma

Your post would make sense if crap like Mario Party didn't sell over 1m copies. My Wii library is mostly 3rd party. I don't enjoy nintendo games. The last ones I enjoyed were the Fire Emblems & A Link to the past. That's it.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kenakuma

[QUOTE="pikma"]i've always said

so...

or

heck! it's not our fault
nor nintendo's fault

also
if they want our money, they need to do games that actually we would be interested in

Jazunn

Your post would make sense if crap like Mario Party didn't sell over 1m copies. My Wii library is mostly 3rd party. I don't enjoy nintendo games. The last ones I enjoyed were the Fire Emblems & A Link to the past. That's it.

WOW do you plan on getting ssbb?

B1kmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 B1kmatt
Member since 2007 • 993 Posts
I think that if the third parties put more time in to their games then they will be better, but no they think that throwing a half done game in to be sold is a good way to make money. If the good third partys putting out quality games just stop blaming the Nintendo and Wii and start blaming the third parties putting out the trashy games. Then people will probably start trusting third party games more and buy of them.
bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#35 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts
Just as everybody else has been saying, the third parties don't put enough time into their games. It seems like No More Heroes and Zack and Wiki are the only two games that have been developed well. If I were the third party devs(especially Ninjabread Man's), I'd feel really embarrassed about now. I haven't heard any of them apologizing for selling garbage for the Wii.
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kenakuma
well most little kids cant tell the difference between garbage and a good game.
Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jazunn
Member since 2007 • 666 Posts

WOW do you plan on getting ssbb?kenakuma

Not at launch... It depends on how entertaining NMH, DQ & Baroque are...

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kenakuma

[QUOTE="kenakuma"]WOW do you plan on getting ssbb?Jazunn

Not at launch... It depends on how entertaining NMH, DQ & Baroque are...

i'd shake your hand for the about of self-control you must have compared to most of us!

Zombie_Eric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zombie_Eric
Member since 2007 • 412 Posts

I've been reading people's comments about it, and I also read the quote from that Xbox executive who criticized the Wii's success by saying something along the lines of: "Their success can't sustain itself because it's relying on first-party games only". But I don't think I fully understand the issue. Can someone explain to me why it's such a horrible thing?

Is it because future developers won't want to develop games for Nintendo? If that's the case, who really cares? Nintendo fans want Nintendo because of its franchises: Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros., and Mario Kart. I don't know about you guys, but those five games are enough for me to stick with Nintendo for the rest of my gaming life.

Nash-MVPx2

You and me and most of the other people on this board would be okay with mostly Nintendo games throughout the Wii's life, but third party games are essential to capturing the casual market, which is HUGE. Whoever gets the casual gamers wins the war.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

Just as everybody else has been saying, the third parties don't put enough time into their games. It seems like No More Heroes and Zack and Wiki are the only two games that have been developed well. If I were the third party devs(especially Ninjabread Man's), I'd feel really embarrassed about now. I haven't heard any of them apologizing for selling garbage for the Wii.bowserjr123

How about the two Resident Evil games, the two Trauma Centers, Guitar Hero 3, MOH:H2, etc.

There's a bunch of good third party games on the Wii currently. The only ones that have sold so far though is RE4 and GH3.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kenakuma

[QUOTE="bowserjr123"]Just as everybody else has been saying, the third parties don't put enough time into their games. It seems like No More Heroes and Zack and Wiki are the only two games that have been developed well. If I were the third party devs(especially Ninjabread Man's), I'd feel really embarrassed about now. I haven't heard any of them apologizing for selling garbage for the Wii.Rocky32189

How about the two Resident Evil games, the two Trauma Centers, Guitar Hero 3, MOH:H2, etc.

There's a bunch of good third party games on the Wii currently. The only ones that have sold so far though is RE4 and GH3.

once a third party game comes out on all systems it usually gets a lower rating on the wii because of graphic, online, dlc etc.

this tends to hurt the wii in these cases.