Why is hard to get a wii

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lownoise1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lownoise1976
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Hello

I was wondering why is it (still) so hard to get a nintendo wii? Is this suposed to be some kind of marketing strategy or its just they build like 2 per day?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
You can only build and ship so many consoles.
It's the popularity of the console that's keeping it off the shelves.
Since it draws in all different kinds of gamers plus people who didn't have a console before (at least last gen) it's being bought by more types of people. More people = less units
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
Everyone wants a Wii so it's been selling very well. Nintendo can't keep units on the shelves for long. They really can't build 2 per day or something like that because it would be too expensive for them, it's cheaper and more efficient to build them in manufacturing waves.
wii60_lukatoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wii60_lukatoll
Member since 2007 • 1076 Posts
because they are soooo awesome... take sometime too look for one... dude, i live overseas and i got one at a military base... and u don't know how hard that is, just try harder
cleary666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cleary666
Member since 2007 • 193 Posts
Well... because alot of people are buying them...
My local "Game" shop is still supplying pre-orders from back in 2006
joespimpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 joespimpin
Member since 2006 • 817 Posts
Hello

I was wondering why is it (still) so hard to get a nintendo wii? Is this suposed to be some kind of marketing strategy or its just they build like 2 per day?
lownoise1976

There are two answers which are both correct

SHORT ANSWER:

Any gamer really looking isn't trying hard enough to get the system.  They aren't camping, talking with retialers and other connections to see when product is in stock and available for purchase.

LONG ANSWER:

The Wii is appealing to more than the core gaming audience that Nintendo usually faces at the launch of its consoles.  Mostly do to the success of DS and its ranging demographic.  The appeal for the Wii has risen.  Its priced consumer friendly and is easy for everyone to pick up and play.  Aside from that its not just popular here in the North American market, but in Europe and Japan as well.  Nintendo is making 1million to 1.2 million per month, but that is divided by 3 and then divided even more by country or region depending on the market.

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts
Stupid ebayers are buying every Wii...that's why.
KenSPT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KenSPT
Member since 2007 • 319 Posts

My girlfriend's little brother is looking for a Wii, so everytime I go out I look for one for him, thus far I've had no luck. When I found mine a few months back, I simply got lucky, so that's all I think there is to it ...

BET8390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BET8390
Member since 2006 • 4193 Posts
*in a girly tone* Because! Its sooo Pop-ular!
BViking78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BViking78
Member since 2005 • 390 Posts
Because they're faster in building the console itself then the Wii Sport disc... ^^ If you don't understand the comment look at a quite old post...
Kolraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kolraz
Member since 2006 • 118 Posts
cos they own and everyone wants ' em basically.
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
yeah its one of the fastest selling consoles in a long time.  It outsold the PS3 and XBOX360 combined in January.  They are making lots of them people just keep buying them.  Although Nintendo should still do a little better.  Its already getting close to the xbox's numbers and it has only been out for like 4 months.
cleary666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cleary666
Member since 2007 • 193 Posts

yeah its one of the fastest selling consoles in a long time.  It outsold the PS3 and XBOX360 combined in January.  They are making lots of them people just keep buying them.  Although Nintendo should still do a little better.  Its already getting close to the xbox's numbers and it has only been out for like 4 months.AlmightyDerek

Official firgures, and the time the wii has been out, officially makes the wii the fastest selling console ever released

GO NINTENDO!

vnc20100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 vnc20100
Member since 2007 • 1685 Posts
I spoke on the phone with a guy from the store where I reserved the Console and he said that Nintendo didn't send any console for 2 weeks, he usually got Wiis every week. Nintendo is preparing something... cross fingesr
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

Because they're faster in building the console itself then the Wii Sport disc... ^^ If you don't understand the comment look at a quite old post...BViking78

I hope you're being sarcastic.

Stryder_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Stryder_18
Member since 2004 • 942 Posts

Last week I finally got a Wii! I got a call from EB games because I was on their wait list, so I rushed over as soon as I could and got it.  Then a couple days later I was at Wal-Mart and noticed they had three Wii's, I was like thats awsome, so I picked one up for my cousins because they had been searching for one too. So now they have a Wii, what an awsome week! I can now play that Zelda game, that i've had since christmas now lol.

movin_target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 movin_target
Member since 2005 • 3412 Posts

Simple

wiibayers

smarskite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 smarskite
Member since 2003 • 59 Posts
Does anyone know a place in Chicago where I get on a waiting/call list? I've been calling all the Gamestops and EB Games on the northwest side, as well as the Virgin Megastore downtown every few days to see if they have them in stock. I'm getting really tired of it.
T_VIRUS88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 T_VIRUS88
Member since 2006 • 177 Posts

i got a wii 3 days ago and in australia they got this phone deal that if u get a phone u get a free wii to me that was the easiest way to get one

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Demand is too high. They are making 1 million a month and are currently ramping up production even higher. After the failure that was the Gamecube I doubt they were expecting the demand that they are getting.
Lady_Sekhmet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lady_Sekhmet
Member since 2007 • 211 Posts
It takes pure luck to get the Wii these days.
   my boyfriend and I have been searching since Nov.  None of the places would tell us when they will get more. "When they come in, we don't know." They say.
    Last week, I just happened to go in EB Games in my hometown to pick up a psp game for my trip to L.A. They just happened to have the Wii in stock!

Patience is virtue, and trust me, it will be all worth it when you get Wii-injuries the next day of 1st day of playing. 

meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts

Your best bet is to use one the sites that check store's inventory and read newsites like GoNintendo, kotaku and others who report when a store chain is having a wii shipment sale. The stores will hoard the wiis till a certain day then advertise they have them for sale to get people into the store. Usually the sale day is a Sunday but good luck even in cities of 250,000 people the units are all counted for three hours before the store opens. Except to camp out before midnight.

Yes you are going to have to camp out before the store officaly opens or in the case of walmart and other 24 hours puts the units on sale.

Since you live in chicago your best bet would be to find when a store chain is having a wii sale drive to a much smaller town and camp out at that store before midnight. Preferably a walmart store since you won't be outside in the weather.

My mother had to drive to a small town of less then 2000 people to get two wiis. One for me and one for my neice. She camped out at the walmart three hours before the units went on sale. All eight units were accounted for an hour after she arrived and people were coming in  long after being told that all units were accounted for.

The store had set up an area in the layaway section with chairs for the wii campers. May want to call up the walmart in the small hick town you are planning on going to see if they have said area setup with chairs or you have to buy your own chair in the walmart.