Why doesn't Nintendo do this,

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Makedonijo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Makedonijo
Member since 2007 • 351 Posts

Why doesn't Nintendo go ahead and make the console more online friendly...

They could make an xbox live sort of interface where you can see your friends online and see what their doing, they have the ability the home button brings up the home menu, while it can be doing somthing like showing you what your friends are doing and what time they last logged in.

Currently you can't see what your friends are doing and you can't see if their playing a game or not. Messaging them is very annoying... you cant just click their name and easily type a message, rather the messaging on the Wii is more emailesque where you type their name in and attach a photo or Mii.

Another thing to dramatically improve online play would be ability to send and receive messages while your playing a game.

One more thing... the ability to invite your friends to your online game during play.

And the last thing... elimination of game individual friend codes.. okay we have to get over the fact that Wii has friends codes but, why cant we just have universal friend codes that work for every game.

Im hoping Nintendo has something like this in the works for Wii, it would dramatically increase the online playability.

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts
I agree that they should have 1 universal friend code for everything. The console, and the games.
Makedonijo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Makedonijo
exactly
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts
Welcome to the party.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I love friend codes

It's the first online system for adults

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts
And the last thing... elimination of game individual friend codes.. okay we have to get over the fact that Wii has friends codes but, why cant we just have universal friend codes that work for every game.Makedonijo
Wii Music took a little step in the right direction in this area. The game automatically detects which of your friends have the game, and the entire friend code exchange process is automated. Now if only more games would use that system.... We would still have to add new friends via the address book, but at least we wouldn't have to add them all over again every time a new game comes out.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

If Nintendo decided to imitate the online services of its competitors, it risk being sued by them as the services are proprietary and protected by patents. Also, Nintendo does not want the problems that plagued one of its competitors online services where users can abuse it by engaging in racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. activities (esp. voice chat). Since Nintendo wants to appeal to a broad demographics, it does not want to alienate parents, racial/ethnic minorities, and not attract bad press from its online service due to abuse done a small group of immature gamers. Since the Wii has a larger public profile than its competitors due to its incredible success, any bad press by the mainstream media would harm its sales, something that Nintendo does not want to see.

malkiko
Read the OP. You're not addressing the TC's suggestions at all.
cougar65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 cougar65
Member since 2003 • 1035 Posts
Unfortunately Nintendo believes that allowing people to communicate will put the safety of kids at risk. They want to make it as difficult as possible to interact with other players, while they promote just that.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#10 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
eh, Wii now have Wii Speak, so we can chat online during certain games and we can message each other even though not during games Still, that's good enough for me. Also, I wouldn't want a PS3/360 clone, because that would be one of the major features to making Nintendo being one step closer to that.
Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts

I love friend codes

Jaysonguy
The current system changed only to handle system friend codes (kick the game friend codes to the curb) would be better. I'd prefer to simply register X names per system friend code, as it's easier to give someone a name than to give them a 16 character code. It also allows my friends to be different from my wife's. But, at this point, I'd be happy with a single friend code system. Not that it really matters that much. The enjoyment of communicating while online is missing. Online play isn't much different from playing against a very good AI. It's a an aseptic experience offering little value. Whether you're playing with/against friends is the same as playing with/against a complete stranger.
sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts
Friend codes are not that bad.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts
I agree with the topice, but you get what you pay for, simple as that.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Why doesn't Nintendo go ahead and...Makedonijo
That's your answer.
superluigi96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 superluigi96
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts

I love friend codes

Jaysonguy

I have never ever heard anyone say this ever. I don't particularly hate them (although one for every game is ridiculous), but LOVE? That's a strong word, Jayson.

It would be nice to banish game friend codes from each game, though. They'd be a lot easier to handle if I could just register my friends' Wii console codes and be done with it.

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

Im hoping Nintendo has something like this in the works for Wii, it would dramatically increase the online playability.

Makedonijo

We can keep hoping but we'll just be disappointed.

Online isn't a major selling point for the Wii and its games so Nintendo will just stick with the basics they have now. They're slowly stepping towards today's standards for online play with things like Wii Speak and Mario Kart, but I highly doubt we'll see an overhaul until next gen.

flclempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#17 flclempire
Member since 2004 • 4914 Posts
HOLY CRAP this is original. I don't mean to be rude, but threads like these were popular back before the wii was even released :\
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
I agree 1000%. Also, the messages should be accessible from the screen that appears when you press home on the wiimote. Also once the wii speak channel is available your freinds should be able to talk to you while you're doing anything, not just on the channel at the same time. So you could be in the middle of a game and your freind could send you an invite and while you are still playing your game they can talk to you and you can talk to them. This way you would actually know when your freinds are online in brawl because they could simply tell you when they log on. And a universal freind code would be so much better than an entire list of them.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

I agree 1000%. Also, the messages should be accessible from the screen that appears when you press home on the wiimote. Also once the wii speak channel is available your freinds should be able to talk to you while you're doing anything, not just on the channel at the same time. So you could be in the middle of a game and your freind could send you an invite and while you are still playing your game they can talk to you and you can talk to them. This way you would actually know when your freinds are online in brawl because they could simply tell you when they log on. And a universal freind code would be so much better than an entire list of them. Head_of_games

Yeah... Also, once Wiispeak takes off and more games support it, Nintendo should hire a bunch of 13 year olds to scream racist and homophobic slurs on every room of every game, so we can really get the whole Xbox Live experience.

Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Skie7

[QUOTE="Head_of_games"]I agree 1000%. Also, the messages should be accessible from the screen that appears when you press home on the wiimote. Also once the wii speak channel is available your freinds should be able to talk to you while you're doing anything, not just on the channel at the same time. So you could be in the middle of a game and your freind could send you an invite and while you are still playing your game they can talk to you and you can talk to them. This way you would actually know when your freinds are online in brawl because they could simply tell you when they log on. And a universal freind code would be so much better than an entire list of them. LordQuorthon

Yeah... Also, once Wiispeak takes off and more games support it, Nintendo should hire a bunch of 13 year olds to scream racist and homophobic slurs on every room of every game, so we can really get the whole Xbox Live experience.

Wouldn't the key to resolving this be the friend system? If they're not your friend, you can't hear them and visa-versa. If you choose to make idiotic 13 year olds your friends, then you're getting what you deserve.
TheSmitto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 TheSmitto
Member since 2008 • 1898 Posts
You see, friend codes aren't bad,they're actually a decent security idea. It's INDIVIDUAL friend codes for each game that are bad. Seriously, It's such a waste of time.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

But, at this point, I'd be happy with a single friend code system.Skie7

Indeed.In fact,it's highly redundant why they chose to make every game have its own friend code when the console already seems to be set-up for a single friend code system; every Wii comes with its own address code.When every system has one,why not use the code for some actual online play?

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
I agree that they should have 1 universal friend code for everything. The console, and the games.alexh_99
That is a good idea.
funktekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 funktekk
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Its seems clear to me that the purpose of individual game friend codes is so that when a Wii is shared amongst a family everyone can have their onw friends on their favorite games.

For example you have a 10 year old who enjoys Wii Music and Animal Crossing with her friends then you also have a teen who enjoys COD with his friends. You can already lock out the parental controls to prevent the youngster from experiencing the horrors of wars all while making sure she isn't hearing your teen's friends vugar language.

santanablu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 santanablu3
Member since 2007 • 1467 Posts

I love friend codes

Jaysonguy
i don't know if your using sarcasm but i agree with you. i rather talk to my friends instead of talking to some random child screaming racial slurs
Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Skie7

Its seems clear to me that the purpose of individual game friend codes is so that when a Wii is shared amongst a family everyone can have their onw friends on their favorite games.

For example you have a 10 year old who enjoys Wii Music and Animal Crossing with her friends then you also have a teen who enjoys COD with his friends. You can already lock out the parental controls to prevent the youngster from experiencing the horrors of wars all while making sure she isn't hearing your teen's friends vugar language.

funktekk
A profile system would be better. The 10 year old and the teen might both enjoy the same game (like Animal Crossing) and would share the same friends. So, I'm not sure how this is sparing the 10 year old from the teen's friends vulgar language.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
you know, im not disagreeing, just saying i already saw this kind of suggestion many times, including game-related magazines (EGM made one these days)
Stuffed_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Stuffed_Monkey
Member since 2007 • 1436 Posts

I agree, why isn't Nintendo doing this?

However I don't see Nintendo doing this anytime soon. It would be a clone of the Xbox 360.

Makedonijo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Makedonijo
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

I love friend codes

santanablu3

i don't know if your using sarcasm but i agree with you. i rather talk to my friends instead of talking to some random child screaming racial slurs

Except for the fact that you can't actually talk with just your friends in a game.... You have to talk to everyone in that game.

Avatar image for Legacy_of_Gamef
Legacy_of_Gamef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Legacy_of_Gamef
Member since 2008 • 236 Posts

Yeah, an XBL style Nintendo Wii thing would make me actually be excited to play Wii.

SSBB would be AWESOME with great online.

AdRock92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AdRock92
Member since 2007 • 1616 Posts
I would just want the ability to access the wii message board right from the home menu in a game. It's such a pain to have to exit out of a game to read a message or to send one.
santanablu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 santanablu3
Member since 2007 • 1467 Posts
[QUOTE="santanablu3"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

I love friend codes

Makedonijo

Except for the fact that you can't actually talk with just your friends in a game.... You have to talk to everyone in that game.

huh? i don't understand :? .I'm referring to Wii speak and the address book. i dont think there is any games out right now for the wii that lets you talk period..(besides animal crossing). most games use template text for talking meaning you cant type what you want.