Why Does Twilight Princess Get Singled Out as the worst 3D itteration?

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11464 Posts

I keep seeing people bad mouth Twilight Princess without giving reasons why. It's been bugging me to no end lately. WHY?

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
These aren't my words, I enjoyed very much. These are what I imagine people would say: According to them, the art style just didn't work. It felt too much like Ocarina of Time. Nothing original. Boss battles were insanely easy (I actually agree with that one). Oh, and the wolf was just a gimmick, too many fetch quests (collecting Tears were a real pain) Am I missing anything else?
OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

I love the game, but I wanted more side quests like in Majora's Mask and Wind Waker.

Twilight Princess is a bit too much like Ocarina of Time though.

ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts
Personally, I think it's the best Zelda game to date. No one can convince me otherwise.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

For me, it's like saying it's the worst out of candy, pizza, swimming pools, and sleeping in. They're all great things, but when people want you to rank them, one has to come in last.

I have to admit that my experience with Twilight Princess is colored by the time of my life that I played it, which was during the last semester of my senior year at college living in an apartment with three friends. None of them were big gamers, so I usually had to kind of rush through everything to get to the good stuff so I wouldn't disappoint my audience. I even rushed through the ending because several people had gathered in the apartment and were just waiting for me to be done.

Maybe it's because of this that nothing about TP stands out to me as really memorable. Ocarina of Time had several memorable moments (waking up as adult link, the Mount Doom cleansing eruption, the whole ending scene at the crumbling castle, etc.), Majora's Mask seared the image of the moon and the lay of the town into my mind, Wind Waker had one moment in particular (seeing Hyrule castle frozen in time), but TP didn't have any moments like that for me.

I think playing through it again would help me like it better, but I still think it would fall in last place of the four if I had to place it in a rank.

SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
In my opinion, Twilight Princess is better than Majoras Mask, so it isn't the worst. Even if it is the worst 3d Zelda, that is nothing to be ashamed about!
Saxsoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Saxsoon
Member since 2007 • 1021 Posts
Because people can't take off their rose-colored glasses and like to think back to when they were 10 and played OoT it for the first time. Yes TP was very similar, but I played TP first and then OoT . If people look at it in that order, TP is nothing but superior in every manner to OoT. Edited to add. I say ten only because that OoT was routinely played by many people when they were still young. I did not mean it in a bad manner. I have had bad luck with mods recently.
JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JebranRush
Member since 2009 • 1401 Posts
Tedious Wolf gameplay, terribly easy difficulty, lack of sidequests (that weren't collect-a-thons), and overall a big disappointment. In the end, it's still a fun game, but it's flawed in many areas, unlike the other games.
JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JebranRush
Member since 2009 • 1401 Posts
Personally, I think it's the best Zelda game to date. No one can convince me otherwise.ozzsoad
And nobody should! It's what makes us different. ;)
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36389 Posts
- Too similar to OoT, almost felt like a spiritual successor - Wolf parts were useless, didn't feel good - Formula is starting to get stale - Overhyped -> leads to being disappointed
Tikicobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#11 Tikicobra
Member since 2009 • 2058 Posts
Twilight Princess > Ocarina of Time
steizgr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 steizgr8
Member since 2007 • 559 Posts

[QUOTE="wiifan001"] the art style just didn't work. It felt too much like Ocarina of Time. Nothing original. Boss battles were insanely easy and the wolf was just a gimmick, too many fetch quests/QUOTE]

This.

Plus, myabe I'm just gettin old, but I didn'tfeel the magic with this one like I did with aLttP and OoT.

Still a fantastic game, though .I'm gagging for a built-for-wii Zelda :(

AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts
Because people can't take off their rose-colored glasses and like to think back to when they were 10 and played OoT it for the first time.Saxsoon
Nah I don't care for Ocarina of Time now. So no rose-tinted glasses for me. Twilight Princess was just boring at times and tedious at others. Unless of course the last 30 hours are significantly better than the first 10, because in a year and a half that's all I've been able to make myself play.
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

I liked it but it got boring after a couple of hours and it just wasn't very memorable.

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

my biggest problem with it was it just felt boring to me.

I did alot of things wonderfully, and some of the things that should've been upgraded in comparison to past games, weren't.

-Barely any NPC interaction,

-Sidequests were for nothing,

-pathetically easy,

-story was decent until around the 4th dungeon,

-Ganondorf was thrown in at the last minute, and his battle (especially using Zelda as a puppet) has been rehashed over and over.

-Nothing to do in Hyrule besides ride your horse.

You can argue that collecting bugs and poe souls gave you something to do in Hyrule....but this was all offered in OoT (skulltulas). It's just another rehash/fetch-quest...and I for one, am sick of it. It would be alright if doing so was worth it, but TP already supplied you with endless rupees/health to begin with.

please wake me up when the Zelda makes a comeback ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :P

BortStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BortStar
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I'm actually currently playing both TP and Oot, and so far I've been getting pretty bored with the parts that you play as a wolf in TP. The rest is fine though. I'm really enjoying Oot though, but it's too early in the game for me to say which one I like better. The only Zelda game I've beaten so far was the Windwaker and I had a blast playing that one. I'm really hoping they decide to make a Zelda game built from the ground up for Wii using motion plus controlls. But then again, I'm sure everyone is hoping for that too.

BortStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BortStar
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Also, so far I haven't felt that TP was too easy at all...but that's probably because I suck at these kinds of games lol

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Heres my order for 3-D Zeldas

1. Windwaker

2. Ocarina of Time

3. Twillight Princess

4. Majoras Mask

Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts

I keep seeing people bad mouth Twilight Princess without giving reasons why. It's been bugging me to no end lately. WHY?

Pikminmaniac

Because they're haters. I remember when it was cool to hate Wind Waker, now everyone thinks it's awesome. The same thing will happen again with the next Zelda and the one after that. People enjoy whining even after they get what they want. I happen to think Twilight Princess is the best of the 3D Zeldas.

Hell, there are people who think Sunshine is better than Galaxy. They're not haters, though, they're lunatics.

lucifer3999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 lucifer3999
Member since 2005 • 2319 Posts

boring predictable story, horrible music even compared to an old game like majora's mask and ocarina of time, static/empty characters compared to the other zeldas, uninspired art design (basically designed to be a rehash of past N64 zelda games and IMO even failed to look as appealing )

practically gave me no motivation to replay it

in my opinion, it has nothing to do with nostalgia because i thought Wind Waker was brilliant and i played it way after the N64 games...overall i thought TP was the least innovative, inspired Zelda so far and i think i'd be OK if it was never made

however, thats not to say its a bad game. i just think it's a low quality zelda game

kieranb2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 kieranb2000
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
I loved it personally, was a lot like OOT, only improved in every way. Majora's Mask is still the best 3D zelda in my eyes. With WindWaker being the worst. It was just horribley drawn out, the graphics were terrible (I love the art style, but Nintendo went TOO simple with it, hell it wouldn't shock me if it could run on the N64)
Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

My last post was my personal opinion on the game, but I think there's alot more to the story (imo).

I think it depends on the order in which you played the games. Like me, I've played every game in order from the beginning LoZ-TP, but I think some of you newer gamers that experienced TP first would have a hard time understanding on the impact left by OoT. I don't mean that in an ignorant way, but the leap from 2d to 3d was huge.

Seriously, the only thing that TP did different or enhanced the series by doing, was the inclusion of ;

Horseback combat

Graphics

Decreasing the difficulty

transition from Wolf/Link- Link/Wolf

and added very very basic Wii-mote controls

Everything has already been done over and over. If anything.....MM and WW are the ones who have taken the biggest steps when it comes to terms of change if you break it down.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Personally, I think it's the best Zelda game to date. No one can convince me otherwise.ozzsoad

I agree with this. Twilight Princess perfected everything about the whole Zelda formula. Its only "flaw" is that it came out around the time when said formula began to need a few tweaks.

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

boring predictable story, horrible music even compared to an old game like majora's mask and ocarina of time, static/empty characters compared to the other zeldas, uninspired art design (basically designed to be a rehash of past N64 zelda games and IMO even failed to look as appealing )

practically gave me no motivation to replay it

in my opinion, it has nothing to do with nostalgia because i thought Wind Waker was brilliant and i played it way after the N64 games...overall i thought TP was the least innovative, inspired Zelda so far and i think i'd be OK if it was never made

however, thats not to say its a bad game. i just think it's a low quality zelda game

lucifer3999

Thats what i think too.and when I glitched ganondorf in the final battle by accident i was like meeeehh......

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

The worst 3D Zelda is still one of the highest rated games ever, so what does that tell you?

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30568 Posts

Pikminmaniac
It's usually one of two things, the first is people complain its too linear, which is attributed to the fact that it was first Zelda that had a strong narrative backing it. There usually is an overarching story that comes in at certain points like the whole Zelda and Impa fleeing the castle after collecting the three Spiritual Stones in Ocarina of Time, as oppossed to Twilight Princess where you interacted with the story at every temple and every location. Others complained that it was too much like Ocarina of Time which outside of a few nods to the game I really didn't understand. Also remember that just a few years earlier everyone was wetting their pants when they saw the Spaceworld trailer which looked like a much prettier version of OoT, and threw a fit about how different Windwaker was from Ocarina of Time. So basically people whine about both sides of the spectrum so I'm sure Nintendo like me says "crew em, they'll buy it anyway" To me the Wolf gameplay kept it from feeling like just another Ocarina of Time and of course the dungeons were way different.
Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

Pikminmaniac

Yea I've noticed alot of this as well, i think people just had their expectations set too high and they were disappointed so they blame the game and pick it apart its faults for that, while comparing it to another zelda game they liked more. I think it's a great game, Ill admit i was a bit let down at first since i had my expectations really high as well, but after replaying the game a few times I can really appreciate it for what it was and it was a great zelda experience. I don't really like to compare zelda games to each other since each one should be viewed on its own merits as a stand alone experience. Another thing i see though is that a lot of people are hating on ocarina of time as well since I see it getting shot down as much as final fantasy 7 just because its deemed "overrated" by today's standards which they shouldn't even be judged by to begin with. These games were amazing for their time and anyone who experienced them at the time of their release knows what they do for their respective genres and gaming, it just seems like its notoriety is causing this. What im trying to say is that I just think people should just enjoy which games they like instead of trashing another game almost every time they post a message, its not even necessary. whew sorry for the mini rant

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30568 Posts
My expectations were high and Twilight Princess lived up to it, I don't know what other people were expecting from the game. Nintendo was put in a tough spot post Windwaker, for the legions of whiners who cried about the kiddy graphics and how different it was from the N64 offerings wanted a return to that style. While others who were big fans of the change wanted either the same of a more change. So Nintendo tried to produce a game that appeases both and people still complain, its a no win situation. What I really find funny is when people invent qualities that past games had, like a better story than Twilight Princess? The story in past Zelda titles is nearly non-existant. Here's a funny one, "static/empty characters compared to old Zelda's" if characters in Twilight Princess was empty then they must not have existed in past Zelda games. Where no one outside of the main players in the adventure had any depth outside of a the quest that directly involved them. And of course those who claim WW was radically different, where all it did was trade a horse for a boat and an empty hyrule field for an empty sea. The only change was the visuals. I just personally find it funny that people invent these distinctions between the games that aren't really there. I love the franchise since the days of the NES and I have loved every 3D iteration of the series, but I don't kid myself that these games are dramatically different from each other. They are very similar and hence all very good.
Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts
I think it's the best 3D Zelda to date, personally.
skullboy950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 skullboy950
Member since 2008 • 348 Posts

Twilight Princess was an awesome game:D, but it could have been a little bit darker, and it could also have used more fresh concepts. The wolf mechanic was pretty cool, although it wasn't much different from the mask mechanic in Majora's mask, and that was done better.

Rad-RKR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rad-RKR
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
because strangely people have enough time to criticize games instead of playing them for fun. Sometimes I don't get Game Critics, or critics in general. Just have the people play the game for themselves, maybe they would like it more than the critics do.
skullboy950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 skullboy950
Member since 2008 • 348 Posts
It also could have been more challenging, I beat the final Ganon boss without even trying, and it took me about 2 1/2 minutes.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#33 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Because it is so similar to Ocarina of Time and that the game feels a bit stuck in the past. I think its an amazing title but not the best in the series.

everlong12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#34 everlong12
Member since 2008 • 648 Posts

In my opinion, and I think it means more then some because I beat the first Zelda before I experienced my first day of school, Zelda is a great game series. It offers plenty to do if you just look. What I think people don't realize is that TP might have be rehashed from other games but what isn't rehashed these days. I heard an 80s song on the radio and it turned out to be a rap song. I've seen countless movies that I can say I've seen before with different actors and settings.

Twilight Princess was an incredible game. I loved it. Though there are things I would have personally changed, it wouldn't be the same game if we did. Everyone expects too much from these games. I don't expect anything, I look forward to what ever comes out for this series because I know it will be great.

One thing to point out is that many people make a big fuss over Phantom Hourglass. I found it gut wrenching when I had to go through the same dungeon over and over and over again but I liked the overall game.

I will admit that there could have been more of a variety of side quests but I thought it was great. I nfact, I own both the GC and the Wii version, I got impatient and I didn't have a Wii yet.

Every game will be a hit or miss with most people and a majority of that persons opinions will come fro mthe high hopes they get from some wack job who hypes the game up so much people believe they should see their respective higher power when they finally get that plastic wrap off.

I worry a bit about Spirit Tracks. Its only just been announced and I already hear people hyping it up to extremes. On the other hand I people saying things like 'I hope its like Phantom Hourglass' or 'This game is gonna be sweet.' I thought no one wanted a rehashing of games yet here is someone asking for one of PH. For this very reason I think Nintendo should come out with a demo channel so people know what they are getting before they bye it and cry about it.

I for one love Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Link's Awakening and every other Zelda game out there. Its too bad a game like TP got hyped all the way into the slaughter house.:?

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

The entire game was mostly solid,but the biggest thing that disappointed me was its sound design and soundtrack.The audio was weak,especially by Zelda standards.

Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts
I beat the first Zelda before I experienced my first day of schooleverlong12
That has to be a bit of an exaggeration, right? I mean... a four year old beating the original Zelda...
Waffle_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 Waffle_Fish
Member since 2008 • 2074 Posts

It had way too much hype. Nintendo themselves even said it was going to be the best Zelda ever and it came off as a major disappointment.

Boring and disappointing Bosses, extremely easy, lack of archer minigame (come on Nintendo, Link's Corssbow Training should of been in Twilight princess), tedious wolf sections, wasted potential of the wolf (I would of loved to see a wolf only level), empty and boring world (hyrule field may be big, but there is nothing to it, a couple villages, and thats about it).

I could go on, but I guess you see my point. It was hyped to be the best Zelda ever and it just ended up being a disappointment, it just didnt match up with other Zelda games.

sagax03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#38 sagax03
Member since 2008 • 230 Posts
My 3d
sagax03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#39 sagax03
Member since 2008 • 230 Posts

My list for 3d Zelda:

1.Oracarina of time

2.Windwaker

3.Majoras Mask

4.Phantom Hourglass

5.Twilight Princess.

Im a little shcocked to see this all these games are good just that TP had to much recycled it wasnt anything new like zelda is known for.Phantom hour glass suffered from short dungeons and very easy puzzles,Majoras mask was good but going back in time was a bit Tedious, Windwakers only promblem was the long sailing, but it stands out(Best grpahics in a Zelda game to). And Oricrina had no promblems to me.

blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#40 blankshore
Member since 2008 • 1809 Posts

I love the game--I've played through it four times--but I think the whole Wolf thing didn't see it's full potential, and there weren't enough side quests. The dungeons, however, are the best of the 3-D games. I can't really rank Zelda games as they're all so wonderful, but in terms of overall originality, it comes in last. It's a brilliant game, but it's not the best--a testament to how amazing the other games are.

Tikicobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#41 Tikicobra
Member since 2009 • 2058 Posts

I'm tired of everyone calling Twilight Princess easy, because it wasn't. I'm not afraid to admit that I thought it was very hard.

srdjan311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 srdjan311
Member since 2007 • 1247 Posts

haha i love the game!!

Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Wolblade
Member since 2008 • 986 Posts

These aren't my words, I enjoyed very much. These are what I imagine people would say: According to them, the art style just didn't work. It felt too much like Ocarina of Time. Nothing original. Boss battles were insanely easy (I actually agree with that one). Oh, and the wolf was just a gimmick, too many fetch quests (collecting Tears were a real pain) Am I missing anything else?wiifan001

This just about sums it up. My only dislikes were:

1. A bit too easy. But that may come from being a Zelda veteran.
  2. Too many useless items. Outside of a certain dungeon, they weren't good for anything else. It didn't break the game, but I like versitility.
  3. Untapped potential. Again, it's an excellent game, but there is so much more they could have added in the world. More side-quest, more people. The town just felt lifeless, whereas Majora's Mask had a colorful cast of characters as did Wind Waker.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
I agree. I don't think it's unfair to say it's the worst 3D Zelda game (they are all amazing) but I hate when people badmouth it like it's a bad game.
hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

Because people can't take off their rose-colored glasses and like to think back to when they were 10 and played OoT it for the first time. Yes TP was very similar, but I played TP first and then OoT . If people look at it in that order, TP is nothing but superior in every manner to OoT.Saxsoon

I feel you're SOOOOOO right, I was dissapointed by TP but feel that if I played OOT right now even with TP graphics for the first time I wouldn't like it that much

fyor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 fyor
Member since 2005 • 665 Posts

TP was released to late.....with all the next gen games and all the hype around them at e3 2006.......i think it was a good....not as fun as previous zeldas but still......that big world i was playng in.. pretty dead to me... to little interaction with the rest of the world.......was a good zelda game for those who never played one before

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 30656 Posts

My complaints:

- Little to no interesting, memorable characters. It lacked personality, in other words.
- Wolf parts were pretty boring.
- The bosses should've been at least 10 times harder. Seriously.
- The overworld was the most boring Zelda overworld ever.
- Where are the sidequests?
- My last complaint is hard to describe. I just didn't get that wonderful "Zelda feeling" I got while playing OoT and WW. It somehow felt like they just put Zelda things together without much thought. The result was a non memorable Zelda game, and when a Zelda game isn't memorable, something is terribly wrong..

The music was awesome, though.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#48 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I indeed think it is the worst 3-D Zelda, if you don't count Phantom Hourglass.

Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time were unique since they had a lot of personality, Ocarina being the first 3-D Zelda game, Majora's Mask and its dark atmosphere, masks, three-day cycles, and Wind Waker with the Cell-shaded look and the ocean. Twilight Princess heavily borrowed things from Ocarina, and its only big original concept, the wolf, was the most boring part of the game. But that doesn't mean TP was bad, I love that game!

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

The problem with it was that it didn't do anything new. They story sucked big time, I beat the game last year and I can't even remember the story. The characters all felts like mindless npcs, didn't even need them in the story. It's the only 3-D Zelda game that I actually got bored of not even half way into it. I had to force myself to finish it, and that just isn't right. It was also the easiest one I've played, I don't believe I even died once. The wolf part was super lame and took up WAY too much of the game. It just involved mindless backtracking a second time.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#50 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Where TP stands: 1) Ocarina of Time 2) A Link to the Past (this would be given more credit if there were more people that had played it) 3) The Legend of Zelda (this is the most underrated Zelda of them all. It started the franchise, massively innovative. Heck, it technically would is the first adventure game ever. and you could scroll left :o 4) Windwaker 5) Twilight Princess and I'll stop here.