Why does everything and its cat have to be a seperate channel?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

joespimpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 joespimpin
Member since 2006 • 817 Posts

Hi everyone:

I would like your opinion. What is it with Nintendo that everything needs to be its own channel? Some examples:

Why aren't the forcast channel and News channel the same channel. Not only is it common for people to find out the forcast in their morning news and newspapers. The forcast channel isn't anything special that requires its own channel at all.

Why isn't Everybody Votes an option on the Mii Channel. It seems odd that a simple function that lets you view and answer simple questions based on Mii avatars needs to be its own channel. This could easily go in the Mii channel as a side option. Check Me Out Channel should be an add on to the Mii channel as well.

My theory is that Nintendo wanted to keep the channels from being to complicated. Looking at the PS3 XMB its easy to see how its possible to get lost in options. However their approach shows a lack of innovation and organization and makes it the least appealing Next Gen O/S for a console I have seen. Is anyone else tired of all these channels that aren't good enough to stand on their own?

Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Sants412
Member since 2007 • 5599 Posts

1. Maybe because there's a news channel on real TV and a weather channel.

2. Ehh, that's an arguable topic.

3. No, I'm happy cuz it looks like I got a lot of channels :).

Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Sants412
Member since 2007 • 5599 Posts
Oh and it looks a lot more organized
joespimpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 joespimpin
Member since 2006 • 817 Posts

yeah but the Wii has no weather channel.

To be a weather channel you have to have up to the minute updates for your location, the Wii Forcast channel doesn't update often enough to tell you the current conditions.

Swifty_Magee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Swifty_Magee
Member since 2003 • 1130 Posts

you could always just TURN ON the Weather Channel on your TV. Or if, for some reason you don't have the Weather Channel, you could just look up your local weather on the Internet.

To the "too many channels" complaint...ehh, it's not a big deal to me. Sure, mixing the Everbody Votes Channel with the Mii channel is a good idea, but it's not an annoyance or anything. I actually want more channels, like maybe a video channel that features gameplay from past & present Nintendo video games and classic Nintendo commercials, or a Demo channel that, obviously, features game demos of upcoming games.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
You could always delete any of the cahnnels if you feel that you don't need it, I've actually been thinking of getting rid of my Everybody votes channel.
-Despacio-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Despacio-
Member since 2002 • 1881 Posts

I have a feeling that if pigs did fly and Nintendo actually introduced an external hard drive for demos, we wouldn't get a Demo Channel, instead each demo would be individual downloads on the WiiWare section of the marketplace for individual demo channels. For example, we'd get the Super Mario Galaxy Demo Channel and the Batallion Wars II Demo Channel. It just seems like an unneccesary thing that Nintendo would do instead of putting all the demos under one channel.

Mark my words.

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

you could always just TURN ON the Weather Channel on your TV. Or if, for some reason you don't have the Weather Channel, you could just look up your local weather on the Internet.

Swifty_Magee

Or you could stick your head outside and look if its raining or going to rain and feel how cold or warm it is. Use common sense

rjs927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 rjs927
Member since 2007 • 547 Posts
Nintendo doesn't want to make it too complicated for the "casual gamer". Sure we would have no trouble but I already get enogh calls from my grandma asking me about how to do something on Wii, I don't need any more phone calls. Something like a demo channel would probably be more likely to be in one channel because the "casual" gamers aren't interested in demos they just want their Wii Sports bowling.
Swifty_Magee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Swifty_Magee
Member since 2003 • 1130 Posts
[QUOTE="Swifty_Magee"]

alexh_99

Or you could stick your head outside and look if its raining or going to rain and feel how cold or warm it is. Use common sense

That won't tell you the 5 day forecast, but yeah, my point was there's other ways of finding out how hot it's going to be tomorrow. Complaining about the Wii Weather channel seems like wasted energy.

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11985 Posts
Channels make the Wii go around.
linkrul3s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 linkrul3s
Member since 2006 • 1954 Posts
I was kinda' hoping that there would be a preview channel instead of every last game preview having its own channel.
catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

That won't tell you the 5 day forecast, but yeah, my point was there's other ways of finding out how hot it's going to be tomorrow. Complaining about the Wii Weather channel seems like wasted energy.Swifty_Magee

I hate you you stupid forecast channel :evil: ;end rant

Actually I like the globe in the weather channel. I don't use the news channel. I sometimes vote in the everybody votes channel to feel special, butI can see where you(tc) are coming from since it is a bit of unneccessary clutter.

lulu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lulu52
Member since 2005 • 1173 Posts
[QUOTE="Swifty_Magee"]

alexh_99

lol, very true
Tuky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Tuky06
Member since 2007 • 5026 Posts

I have a question about the channels:

When you download two or more games from the same system do they go into only one channel or you get a new channel for each game?

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 catfishmoon23

When you download two or more games from the same system do they go into only one channel or you get a new channel for each game?

Tuky06

New channel for each one.

Tuky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Tuky06
Member since 2007 • 5026 Posts
[QUOTE="Tuky06"]

catfishmoon23

That's sad... It would be better to have a [put system here] channel where you can select the game you want.

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 catfishmoon23
[QUOTE="catfishmoon23"][QUOTE="Tuky06"]

Tuky06

That's sad... It would be better to have a [put system here] channel where you can select the game you want.

yeah, that would be a lot better, but it isn't much of a problem for me.

grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
true and good points... now that i thinkk about it, why does the wii have so many channel slots? i have everything but VC games on the first page and VC games in the 2nd organized by console... i think each system should have one super channel where you go to a library of each game for that system in the channel. as for weather and news, thats pretty smart to combine them. as for mii and everyone votes i dont know. nice ideas though :)
fitzokoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 fitzokoli
Member since 2005 • 3236 Posts

I was kinda' hoping that there would be a preview channel instead of every last game preview having its own channel.linkrul3s

LOL i understand what you mean bro, but to be honest this whole "preview" thing is a fairly new phenomena...I'm sure with time it'll get better...Its still new...Just like Wii shop channel, it was pretty basic before..Now you can atleast view gameplay videos of some games, it has a better search system and some other stuff...As it got complicated Nintendo released an update for it...

In the future as the Wii channels get more complicated like say when there are tons of previews, VC games and maybe a hardrive they'll relaese an update to fix everything ;)