why do you buy video games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blockhead1293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blockhead1293
Member since 2007 • 379 Posts
do you buy them because of reviews you see on websites like this. or do you like think youll like it and buy it. i think people are too obsessed wiht what other people think about a game that they are afraid they wont like it. if i see a game that looks cool to me. i get most of the time
Taggsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Taggsai
Member since 2007 • 1024 Posts

I buy the ones that I think will interest me. I read about all games, and if I see something written about a game that I think would interest me that I didn't at first, then I look into it.

The only game I will probably buy to feel accepted is Brawl. :P

Reggie31307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Reggie31307
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts
Before the wii, I used to buy games based on the cover, and I may had looked on the back. When I got home and played the game I would be very dissapointed. Now I buy games based on reviews, research, and my interest. Im very picky about games, so Im with you, no one canconvince me. Zelda and Metroid Prime 3 are really popolar, but there just not up my alley as well as others.However I may rent themand try them out. Who Knows, I may like them. No offense.
blockhead1293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blockhead1293
haah i cant wait for brawl. but yeah if i think the game looks cool then ill look it up. but im not gunna llike do extensive research on it. if i like it i like it
meandmewii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 meandmewii
Member since 2007 • 420 Posts
If it looks fun to me, and i want it, i buy it. Who cares if other people like it or not? I'm the one who's going to pay for it and play it not them. Buy video games to entertainment and fun, not social status.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#6 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts

I trust reviews. Seriously, I can't spend fifty bucks on a game that potentionally sucks just because "it looks good to me." Heck, if I didn't know any better, I would probably buy a game like Jenga: World Tour just because it looks like a fun party game. After reading reviews, I can see that the game totally sucks and everything about it is broken. I did just buy video games because they looked "cool" to me and I regret it. I remember seeing the low scores Red Steel got. I still got it. I should've listened. Reviews are there for a reason. They help you save money.

However, if the review is total garbage and the reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about, then I just ignore them. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn received a six here. Pretty darn, though. Luckily, I know that the reviewer was a complete moron, (I hate insulting people, but I had to use that word. Let's just call him somebody that doesn't know what he's talking about in place of "moron" so I don't seem so mean.) and didn't know what he's talking about. I bought it, and enjoyed every minute of it. The second best game I've ever played.

Now I'm just rambling on and on, and repeating the same things I've already said. And repeating the same things I've already said. And repeating the same things I've already said.

Okay, I'm done.

blockhead1293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blockhead1293

Before the wii, I used to buy games based on the cover, and I may had looked on the back. When I got home and played the game I would be very dissapointed. Now I buy games based on reviews, research, and my interest. Im very picky about games, so Im with you, no one canconvince me. Zelda and Metroid Prime 3 are really popolar, but there just not up my alley as well as others.However I may rent themand try them out. Who Knows, I may like them. No offense.Reggie31307

like you said if your not too sure maybe rent it or look at a trialer. but thats all for me.

meandmewii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 meandmewii
Ya, you gatta' do your homework, some games are all hype and end up suckin'.
blockhead1293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blockhead1293

If it looks fun to me, and i want it, i buy it. Who cares if other people like it or not? I'm the one who's going to pay for it and play it not them. Buy video games to entertainment and fun, not social status.meandmewii

i agree with you totally

meandmewii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 meandmewii
The trick is figuring out which reviews are good, and which ones aren't. reading reviews works to a point, but really ya gotta go with your gut.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

The trick is figuring out which reviews are good, and which ones aren't. reading reviews works to a point, but really ya gotta go with your gut.meandmewii

yeah thats very true. A review may help me decide but its a bunch of factors mostly personal taste. When I trusted a review I got Lunar Knights and I hated it. So in 2008 im not going to be trusting reviews as much as I use to.

ReapX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 ReapX
Member since 2003 • 3571 Posts

I look at reviews to help me figure out. I try to look at more than one review just to be sure. I also look at forums to see what people think of the game.

Avatar image for EndlessPunisher
EndlessPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EndlessPunisher
Member since 2005 • 1390 Posts
Honestly, I am very picky with my games, In order for me to get a game, I always look at reviews from GS, IGN, 1up, and X-play, but in some cases I just buy a game because I already know its going to be good, Like soon to be Brawl.
DavidRswii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 DavidRswii
Member since 2007 • 1210 Posts
Umm well I don't buy games thatare too childish or if they get a review of 5.0 or lwer I avoid it at all costs
FullMetalWWant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 FullMetalWWant
Member since 2007 • 15766 Posts
I buy video games because I love video games. I play them because it's fun to play them. I don't play the really sucky ones. Just the good ones.
XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts
i read the reviews and watch lots of video and make observeations. and i rarly make a bad choise.
Djinnator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Djinnator
Member since 2007 • 645 Posts
I look at games I like, then do research. I usually look at the user scores because user score the games based on how much they love it rather than on technical merits, and fun is what its all about.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#19 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
i am a serious collector,,,,, i buy em to play em and collect em and i like any genere except mainly rpg
DavidRswii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20 DavidRswii
Member since 2007 • 1210 Posts
i am a serious collector,,,,, i buy em to play em and collect em and i like any genere except mainly rpgmariokart64fan
RPG's aren't that bad some of them are actually fun like Fire Emblem Readient Dawn
justinmolnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 justinmolnar
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts
i usually read up on the reviews and i usually rent them before i buy them
Fallen-Emanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Fallen-Emanuel
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts

do you buy them because of reviews you see on websites like this. or do you like think youll like it and buy it. i think people are too obsessed wiht what other people think about a game that they are afraid they wont like it. if i see a game that looks cool to me. i get most of the timeblockhead1293

i check online before i buy.

Off-topic- ff8 is my favourite FF XP

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I usually look at reviews and online to prioritize what I'm going to buy / rent. If it is a series game I will usually get it unless the content of the reviews deems it horrible or they change up something fundamental that I won't play without. I have been known to get a game I'm not remotely interested in simply because online reviews have pointed out a major new idea that I shouldn't go without experiencing. I also think a lot of games that get 7.0's and even 6.0's around here are great games if you are interested in the subject material, more so than some 9.0's.
cheesenuggets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cheesenuggets
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts
cuz nough said
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

I trust reviews. Seriously, I can't spend fifty bucks on a game that potentionally sucks just because "it looks good to me." Heck, if I didn't know any better, I would probably buy a game like Jenga: World Tour just because it looks like a fun party game. After reading reviews, I can see that the game totally sucks and everything about it is broken. I did just buy video games because they looked "cool" to me and I regret it. I remember seeing the low scores Red Steel got. I still got it. I should've listened. Reviews are there for a reason. They help you save money.

However, if the review is total garbage and the reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about, then I just ignore them. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn received a six here. Pretty darn, though. Luckily, I know that the reviewer was a complete moron, (I hate insulting people, but I had to use that word. Let's just call him somebody that doesn't know what he's talking about in place of "moron" so I don't seem so mean.) and didn't know what he's talking about. I bought it, and enjoyed every minute of it. The second best game I've ever played.

Now I'm just rambling on and on, and repeating the same things I've already said. And repeating the same things I've already said. And repeating the same things I've already said.

Okay, I'm done.

DeathScape666

How would you know if the reviewer doesnt know what thier talking about without playing the game yourself? Its still all just a matter of opinion, take Red Steel for example some places gave it a poor review, some places gave it a good review. Some people liked it, some people didnt, its just a matter of opinion. Reviews dont tell you anything but what that one person thought, even multi person reviews like in game informer canhave drastically different opinions. So reviews is a poor way to make choices in my opinion, because saying a reviewer doesnt know what thier talking about is just you saying you have the opposite opinion of them.

Me personally I buy games based on good old fashioned research, I read reviews to find out features, stories, modes and things like that. Watch actual gameplay vids, look at screen shots and determine whether I will like the game or not.

wii360fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wii360fan
Member since 2008 • 354 Posts
I read a good number of reviews and check out some videos of each game. Then I make myself wait a couple of days to make sure it isn't an in the moment buy.
WylFret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WylFret
Member since 2007 • 428 Posts

I think you can get a feel for a reviewer's competence in a couple of ways. First is by looking at reviews they've done for other games that you may have played. Second is to look for clues in the review itself as to how in depth the reviewer got with the game - are they speaking in general terms like they spent 30 minutes before dinner playing through the various modes and then are spitting the manufacturer's synopsis back at you? Or are they getting into the details and explaining themselves in specifics? That said, you should always try to corroborate a review with other reviews to get a "general consensus."

I definitely look at reviews, but they're not the sole deciding factor for me. I can generally tell from a game's genre and description whether I am even interested enough to research a game further. And I try to get opinions from people who I know share similar interests in games. Speaking of that, when I'm reading a review I try to determine whether a reviewer has a bias for or against a particular type of game that would influence their score up or down. For example, if a hardcore FPS nut who admittedly doesn't generally play sports games is doing a review of a sports game, I'm going to take that review with an entire salt shaker :) Likewise, if I can detect "fanboyism" or "a hater" in a reviewer, the review loses credibility instantly.

AzzoLovesBirdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AzzoLovesBirdy
Member since 2006 • 760 Posts
Why do you wear a shirt?
WylFret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WylFret
Member since 2007 • 428 Posts
Back to the actual title topic - I buy games to be entertained and to unwind, as an escape from day to day responsibilities. I really could NOT care less (the proper use of that phrase by the way) whether other people enjoy the same games I do, beyond understanding *why* someone feels a particularly way about a game (that's useful info). I have no interest in system wars or what is more l33t, I just want to have some fun with what free time I get :)
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
I read the reviews of the games I'm interested in buying sometimes. But most of the times I only watch the trailer and look at it's score in gamespot to be sure if buying it or not. Most of the times also, people's opinions in the forums are very helpful.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
I get a good idea of what I want by research. I am really looking forward to No More Heroes but if it scores a 6 I will not pick it up because I know I will be disipointed. Reviews are a good form of help.
soccerslim79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 soccerslim79
Member since 2005 • 252 Posts

if i think something looks cool ill get it

if something looks alright ill base reviews off it