Why can't Nintendo make small changes to the stories in Mario games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

action1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 action1234
Member since 2006 • 958 Posts

Instead of always having Bowser (and kids) kidnapping Peach in every new Mario platformer, why can't they do something different? From what I've read on these forums, a game will automatically sell millions if it has Mario on the cover. If that's true, then why not make changes if they have nothing to lose. Did Super Mario Bros 2 (Doki Doki Panic) not sell millions back when it was released? That one didn't have Peach getting kidnapped...

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts
And as you said, it wasn't a Mario game either, the actual Super Mario Bros 2 very much had you rescuing Peach. The real question is why does it matter? Its not exactly like their shoving a story down your throat.
action1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 action1234
Member since 2006 • 958 Posts

And as you said, it wasn't a Mario game either, the actual Super Mario Bros 2 very much had you rescuing Peach. The real question is why does it matter? Its not exactly like their shoving a story down your throat. Sepewrath

Just to make things fresh and have some variety. It could just show up in the beginning, ending and maybe sometime once during the game.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]And as you said, it wasn't a Mario game either, the actual Super Mario Bros 2 very much had you rescuing Peach. The real question is why does it matter? Its not exactly like their shoving a story down your throat. action1234

Just to make things fresh and have some variety. It could just show up in the beginning, ending and maybe sometime once during the game.

But every game has had new ideas between Princess Peach being captured and rescued.

AwesomeKenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 AwesomeKenny
Member since 2010 • 375 Posts

I kinda agree about the plot for the Mario games. They should make a brand new storyline! Maybe Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad could team up with each other again, along with Yoshi :D

But then again, gameplay is the most important aspect of any game. A change of pace for the story would be nice though, but I don't mind either way because Mario games rock ^_^

Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

Mario games only started having stories to explain the introduction of new gameplay elements, just so people don't get confused. They weren't really even meant to entertain you, but I think they ran with the idea of having a story.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Why can't nintendo just drop the story all together. It's mario, who the hell cares. That's part of the reason why SMG2 > SMG

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Yeah, I don't see why it matters.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

But watching Peach get kidnapped over and over is hillarious!

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

Well do you mean something with lots of politcal intrigue, social confusion and devastation, hopes being abolished, betrayal causing angst among the Mario gang, defying destinies written in prophetic stones for 10,000 years and overpowering fate itself and shattering the hourglass of doom-laden time?!

If so, then how could you go from some pivotal plot moment that includes stuff like that to Mario jumping on moving block platform and mushrooms flying everywhere?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#11 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

^ The Legend of Zelda??? What? :shock:

stizz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 stizz-
Member since 2011 • 728 Posts

the approach to Mario games kind of goes gameplay first. When they were cooking up mario galaxy they were thinking, "wow it would be cool to have a 3-D platformer that could be played from many different angles and centers of gravity." Then they make a ton of levels for it. Finally they add a senario. I imagine not much effort goes into the last part (which isn't really a problem).

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
Mario Sunshine had a pretty funny story with nice cutscenes and voice acting... look how that went. I still prefer Sunshine to Galaxy myself.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Is story a big deal in Mario games for most people (honest question) b/c it is not for me
pikaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pikaby
Member since 2006 • 12720 Posts

Mario doesn't need a story to be good. To be honest, a story would just break the flow of the entire game.

Unless you're talking Paper Mario.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Mario Games arent generally heavy on the story. Its more heavy on new mechanics and concepts. Such as how Super Mario 64 was 3d, Sunshine was flud, Galexy 1&2 was gravity, Super Mario 3D Land is idk :P still have to play the game.

Though if you are looking forward to a Mario game with a heavy story, then look forward to the paper Mario game for the 3DS.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Because no one cares. Sure having something a little different happen might be nice, but the story doesn't matter in Mario games. If you want a story go play one of the Mario RPG's.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#18 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Because the only timestory matters even slightly is with the RPG's. If you notice, in the platformers, the plot is never mentioned except maybe for a few exceptions. It doesn't need a story to work,.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Who plays Mario platformers for the story? :?
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CaptainAhab13

The last time I played a platformer with something close to an actual storyline/setting might have been either Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter. o.O

(Mind you, this was years ago).

Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Nozizaki
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

Got it. Captain Mario sets flight to help destroy the intergalatic threat of *Insert lame planet name here*. He is gunned down by Darth Bowser, who leaves him for death stuck in suspension in the middle of space. He must now hop across green plains with random blocks to get across space.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
And as you said, it wasn't a Mario game either, the actual Super Mario Bros 2 very much had you rescuing Peach. The real question is why does it matter? Its not exactly like their shoving a story down your throat. Sepewrath
basically. why change? why not? why does it matter? no one pays attention to it. it's like asking Counter Strike to have a story.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CaptainAhab13

Got it. Captain Mario sets flight to help destroy the intergalatic threat of *Insert lame planet name here*. He is gunned down by Darth Bowser, who leaves him for death stuck in suspension in the middle of space. He must now hop across green plains with random blocks to get across space.

Nozizaki
That's a good start, but I think we need a little flourish. Could we throw in some mushrooms, and possibly some smaller turtles roaming around?
TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
I wouldn't mind another Mario game taking place in the dream world of Mario 2. Think of all the things they could do in a dream world type atmosphere.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Who cares about story in a Mario game?Unless we're talking about Paper Mario.

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Mario... ..has a story? o_O
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#27 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
Super Mario Sunshine had the most unique story, but it seems that annoyed people anyway...
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk9oa_PiXAkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7CKnfk4JY&feature=relmfu There, Mario's first two Best Story GOTY awards right there.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CaptainAhab13
[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk9oa_PiXAkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7CKnfk4JY&feature=relmfu There, Mario's first two Best Story GOTY awards right there.

...somebody call the mother****in' plumber. >.>
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts
I wouldn't mind another Mario game taking place in the dream world of Mario 2. Think of all the things they could do in a dream world type atmosphere.TheLordMagnus
The same thing they do outside of a dream setting? This is a series where he jumps into a painting and ends up in an active volcano or goes to a planet made entirely of water, turns into a Frog, Penguin etc. Mario can do whether it wants, setting and themes are irrelevant.
RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 RiKanKiDD
Member since 2007 • 1059 Posts

Its Super Mario. You play it, u enjoy it, no questions asked. there you go

kerimblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kerimblue13
Member since 2007 • 161 Posts

It's the gameplay that matters, but just like in the Pokemon games, a new story would not hurt.

Loula15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Loula15
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Spaaaaaaace! But seriously, who plays through a platformer thinking "oh i hope i get to the end of this level so i can find out what crucial plot twist is coming up"? Actually i just play through mario swearing and cursing the game continuously untill i complete the level then its "yaaay next level" ^^ Visit my gaming blog http://talesofacasualgamer.blogspot.com
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

I think we've seen so many Mario games so I personally would like to see that their next "innovative" concept for their next geneartion give their platformers a story. It's time they stop relying solely on their gameplay and about damn time they at least try to add a story which is more than just collecting stars to stalk a princess.

Why not add some towns to run around and explore and maybe dungeons with other objectives than collecting stars. Why not make a Mario rpg for example.

That's one of the biggest problems I have with Nintendo and their games. All their popular franchises have such basic stories.