Why all the hate for SSB DS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 0

#1 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

I want to know why so many people are strongly against any mentioning of a new SSB game for the DS! All the opponents of the idea just say things like 'No. Just no.' or 'Come on, we've been SSB DS free for X amount of time'. It makes me sick to see Nintendo fans not wanting to have one of the best series come out as what would be a good game. :evil:

FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FILIPINOMAZTER
Member since 2008 • 1627 Posts
SSB is for consoles
Bigcol1611

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3 Bigcol1611
Member since 2008 • 796 Posts

I dont hate the idea, i just dont think it would work as well as it has on a home console.

If ninty think they can do a good job making it, then they would of done it by now, yes??!!

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

It's a great idea, it can handle an 64 remake. The problem though is that after coming out with Brawl, it would be hard to make anything on the DS to live up to such hype.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

i dont understand the hate. People can say a game is for consoles, but that applies when you can't replicate it on a handheld

SSB controls would work fine on DS, all the buttons, WiFi. and it could have third party DS characters like Phoenix Wright, Mega Man, and DS only characters like Toon Link, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

I can't imagine the game controlling comfortably with the D-Pad.

the_wet_mop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_wet_mop
Member since 2006 • 7518 Posts

becuase SSB as a single player game isnt worth purchasing. unless you plan to have 4 ds's, and 4 copies of the game, you'de never use it for multiplayer, which is what the series is really all about.

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

becuase SSB as a single player game isnt worth purchasing. unless you plan to have 4 ds's, and 4 copies of the game, you'de never use it for multiplayer, which is what the series is really all about.

the_wet_mop
the only D pad that works moderately right for the DS(in fighting games) is the one of the DS phat.
the_wet_mop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_wet_mop

[QUOTE="the_wet_mop"]

intro94

the only D pad that works moderately right for the DS(in fighting games) is the one of the DS phat.

i guess thats true, i think were on the same side here though.

Avatar image for TalesofRaGnArOk
TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 TalesofRaGnArOk
Member since 2007 • 3189 Posts

Those people obviously never played Jump Ultimate Stars, and so their fears and skepticism are ... well you know

It can be done, it already has been done for JUS. It just takes one word from Sakurai

And JUS had non-lagging online, especially impressive since the signal was coming from Japan to US

strawhatwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 strawhatwonder
Member since 2007 • 182 Posts

Those people obviously never played Jump Ultimate Stars, and so their fears and skepticism are ... well you know

It can be done, it already has been done for JUS. It just takes one word from Sakurai

And JUS had non-lagging online, especially impressive since the signal was coming from Japan to US

TalesofRaGnArOk

You have a point. JUS is exactly like SSBB so i guess SSBB for the DS could work. But im not to thrilled about it being for the DS i like the way it is already, i mean the idea is cool and all but i just dont seem to be into it.

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

TalesofRaGnArOk
The problem is that, after brawl, the game maybe not live to its hype, due to the handheld limitations, y`know. (controls and stuff). JUS is a stand-alone game, so thats why people don`t expect much for it as it would expect for SSB DS. People would always complains like, "ah the graphics are not that good".... or "the controls feel smoother on the console" or "Man... they really watered this down".... stuff like that would keep going the game down and down... because of the hype, they would have to put a lot of effort into it. Also:

I dont hate the idea, i just dont think it would work as well as it has on a home console.

If ninty think they can do a good job making it, then they would of done it by now, yes??!!

Bigcol1611
This sums it up.
the_wet_mop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_wet_mop

TalesofRaGnArOk

JUS is a good game. i like it quite a bit. but theres a difference. SSB has a lackluster solo game with a good multiplayer mode. JUS has a good enough single player (IMO) to warrant playing it alone.

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

VGobbsesser
This. Everyone would suck in the game if we had to use the D-Pad. So people would just complain if Nintendo made it. OR complain about the ugly extension of an analog stick onto the DS.
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 meiaman

Oh, and also all the SSB DS topics that people makes asking for it just fuel the "hate". ;)

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#16 SiK99
Member since 2008 • 1673 Posts

[QUOTE="TalesofRaGnArOk"]

meiaman

The problem is that, after brawl, the game maybe not live to its hype, due to the handheld limitations, y`know. (controls and stuff). JUS is a stand-alone game, so thats why people don`t expect much for it as it would expect for SSB DS. People would always complains like, "ah the graphics are not that good".... or "the controls feel smoother on the console" or "Man... they really watered this down".... stuff like that would keep going the game down and down... because of the hype, they would have to put a lot of effort into it.

That is like saying that handheld-zelda games are horrible just because the console versions have better graphics and are more epic in scale. Like someone above said, it can be made in the same fashion that JUS was since the styles are similar. Out of all the Japanese DS games that people import, JUS seems to be right near the top so there is obviously a market for this type of game.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

SSB is for consoles FILIPINOMAZTER

The DS is a handheld Console. I strongly support a Super Smash bros. for the DS as long as all of the characters on game are from games that are on the DS, that means no Earth Bound characters and no Solid Snake.

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SiK99
Just wanted to mention one more thing. All the excuses that people come up with as to why SSB wouldn't work on a DS sounds VERY familiar to the things people said before GTA Chinatown Wars was released. Chinatown Wars is only the top-rated DS game of all time now.
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 meiaman

[QUOTE="meiaman"][QUOTE="TalesofRaGnArOk"]

SiK99

The problem is that, after brawl, the game maybe not live to its hype, due to the handheld limitations, y`know. (controls and stuff). JUS is a stand-alone game, so thats why people don`t expect much for it as it would expect for SSB DS. People would always complains like, "ah the graphics are not that good".... or "the controls feel smoother on the console" or "Man... they really watered this down".... stuff like that would keep going the game down and down... because of the hype, they would have to put a lot of effort into it.

That is like saying that handheld-zelda games are horrible just because the console versions have better graphics and are more epic in scale. Like someone above said, it can be made in the same fashion that JUS was since the **** are similar. Out of all the Japanese DS games that people import, JUS seems to be right near the top so there is obviously a market for this type of game.

And they aren`t horrible? :lol:

I`m joking.

But no Zelda can get near as good as the main consoles versions, namely the N64 versions.

My guess is, Nintendo consider it a shoot in the dark and don`t want to risk much.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

[QUOTE="VGobbsesser"]

Yoweeh

This. Everyone would suck in the game if we had to use the D-Pad. So people would just complain if Nintendo made it. OR complain about the ugly extension of an analog stick onto the DS.

What if there were people who always played Super smash brothers with a D-Pad, would they suck as well?

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KurodaMurasaki
Member since 2008 • 1670 Posts

I think it would work out fine. Like someone said, maybe it'll be worthy enough to be apart of the franchise. GTA: CW is not considered watered-down, I also think that's accomplishable for such a big and rare series as SSB. If they put enough effort, it would really extend the small amount of fighters on the DS.

I could see SSB on the DS easily. Controls would be fine if people adapt to the D-Pad (I for one only use the D-Pad on fighting games). The top screen could be for a close-up on your character, and the bottom screen could be a panorama of the stage and characters. The health and stock/time could be also there, it would be nice and organized. Seeing the third-party characters would be really interesting also.

If an SSB DS appears out of the blue, I would buy it on the first day (As long it has online).

nicktarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 nicktarist
Member since 2009 • 237 Posts
DS is very much social at this point. Especially with the release of the DSi. Unfortunately, the Story/Adventure mode on SSB DS would have to be impressive in order for the game to sell well. I think that if they keep their standards high, a SSB DS would be very fun to play. I'm just not into the idea that much though.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
There's hate?
awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

Just import Jump! Ultimate Stars...

Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Pyro767
Member since 2009 • 2305 Posts

Just like pokemon is for handhelds. Oh wait....

the_wet_mop

Well, it seems that they came out with this new function called "wi-fi." It lets you play the game with other people without being in the same room! And there is this thing called "download play," and if they put that on there then you only need one game! Fancy that!
n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts

VGobbsesser
Yeah it would be to stiff.
fail_baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fail_baby
Member since 2009 • 898 Posts

[QUOTE="FILIPINOMAZTER"]SSB is for consoles Pyro767

the_wet_mop

Well, it seems that they came out with this new function called "wi-fi." It lets you play the game with other people without being in the same room! And there is this thing called "download play," and if they put that on there then you only need one game! Fancy that!

In about 3 seconds I came up with a great design for the entire game. Controls would work fine too. I guess they just don't want to do it.

P.S. Has anyone played Brawl with the Wiimote? It has less buttons than the DS and uses the D-Pad for movement. Not stiff in the slightest.

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Luigi12901

Yeah, I mean Mario games use D-pad all the time, and those work just fine...why shouldn't that work for SSB? Wi-Fi would be easy to implement, and download play would make iteven better.

TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TalesofRaGnArOk

Thats a terrible excuse. You could say the same thing about pretty much any nintendo game, mario, zelda, metroid especially.

All good games will have hype. If you get caught up in it, if your expecations are that high, then you should'nt play it. Let everyone else thats willing to give a good idea a chance buy it.

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KurodaMurasaki
Member since 2008 • 1670 Posts

Yeah, I mean Mario games use D-pad all the time, and those work just fine...why shouldn't that work for SSB? Wi-Fi would be easy to implement, and download play would make iteven better.

Luigi12901

Except for Super Mario 64 DS. The control wasn't very good in that game.

TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TalesofRaGnArOk

Thats a terrible excuse. You could say the same thing about pretty much any nintendo game, mario, zelda, metroid especially.

All good games will have hype. If you get caught up in it, if your expecations are that high, then you should'nt play it. Let everyone else thats willing to give a good idea a chance buy it.

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 meiaman

TalesofRaGnArOk

A terrible excuse... yes. However its possibly one of the few reason they didn`t feel like doing it `til now. If SSB DS would be that good, Ninty would already developed it, wouldn`t they? If they didn`t til now, is because they had some trouble with it or want to keep it exclusively for the consoles.

Or do you feel better thinking that the main reason that they didn`t do it `til now is just that DS devs hate SSB fans and hope that they just dissapear on a shipwreck?

fail_baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fail_baby

[QUOTE="Luigi12901"]

KurodaMurasaki

Except for Super Mario 64 DS. The control wasn't very good in that game.

Yes, but that was a 3D platformer. SSB is a 2D platformer, which the DS handles very well. I was able to figure out how everything would work from the art style to the programming(not each individual line of code of course, just functions as a whole). If I wasn't so lazy, I'd be able to make the game myself(for PC). I think they just want to keep it as a console game.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#34 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
You need more of an arguement than that. It's perfectly feasible, IMO. However taunting would be out of the question. And the graphics would have to be of N64 quality. Other than that, I don't see why it shouldn't be done.
Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pyro767
[QUOTE="FILIPINOMAZTER"]SSB is for consoles Cloud_765
You need more of an arguement than that. It's perfectly feasible, IMO. However taunting would be out of the question. And the graphics would have to be of N64 quality. Other than that, I don't see why it shouldn't be done.

Actually, taunting is perfectly within reach on a DS, they just put four taunts on the touch screen for you to tap.
Shy_Guy_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#36 Shy_Guy_Red
Member since 2006 • 17138 Posts

Luigi12901

In Mario games you just tap the D-pad slightly to run and press A and B. Smash is different.

In Smash you have to slam the control stick left, right, up, or down often and sometimes must move it slightly and the amount of power you use when pressing the control stick is a real big part of Smash and I can't see it working will with a d-pad.

fail_baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fail_baby

[QUOTE="Luigi12901"]

Shy_Guy_Red

In Mario games you just tap the D-pad slightly to run and press A and B. Smash is different.

In Smash you have to slam the control stick left, right, up, or down often and sometimes must move it slightly and the amount of power you use when pressing the control stick is a real big part of Smash and I can't see it working will with a d-pad.

You could use a D-Pad in Brawl and it worked fine There's absolutely nothing stopping Nintendo from making this game aside from them just not wanting to do it. There's more than enough buttons, the graphics would be fine if they were 2D, everything could work fine if they were willing to make it. But it seems that they are not.

Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pyro767

[QUOTE="Luigi12901"]

Shy_Guy_Red

I guess you haven't played a Kirby game. They made this strange system where you can double tap the direction with your thumb to run and just push it down to walk (yes, it does seem crazy but they did it), and smashes in the Super Smash Bros was strictly pressing the button at the same time as the control stick, why can't you just replace it with a D-Pad? And as stated by people before, you can play smash with a D-Pad already. Sure, it may not be favorable for some people but it works just fine. And if they Nintendo doesn't make this game, not only will they be missing a money making opportunity, but many people will be kinda really pissed off.
FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FILIPINOMAZTER
Member since 2008 • 1627 Posts
well if the DS has analog stick then why not but who cares just get JUS it has no lag at all compared to ssbb
the_wet_mop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 the_wet_mop

[QUOTE="FILIPINOMAZTER"]SSB is for consoles Pyro767

the_wet_mop

belive it or not, i've heard of both of these things. but i think we both know how that would go down. think about wifi for brawl. you pick a character, it picks a stage and rules and you fight for 2 minutes. its hardly worth playing. i know it could be better on the DS, but ninty knew it could have been better for brawl. the truth is, they werent focused on online play, why should i beleive differently about them this time around.

oh and download play? ha!. we know ninty better than to give us good DLplay. it'll let us piick one or 2 stages and 4 charachters to make all of our friends want to buy the game.

this is just like mario party ds IMO. i know that i could play it mulitplayer like the console versions, i just dont seem to hang around 3 other people who have the game and a DS very often. with the console version, i only need 1 system, and 1 game, and we're good to go.

the_wet_mop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 the_wet_mop

[QUOTE="Shy_Guy_Red"]

[QUOTE="Luigi12901"]

Pyro767

I guess you haven't played a Kirby game. They made this strange system where you can double tap the direction with your thumb to run and just push it down to walk (yes, it does seem crazy but they did it), and smashes in the Super Smash Bros was strictly pressing the button at the same time as the control stick, why can't you just replace it with a D-Pad? And as stated by people before, you can play smash with a D-Pad already. Sure, it may not be favorable for some people but it works just fine. And if they Nintendo doesn't make this game, not only will they be missing a money making opportunity, but many people will be kinda really pissed off.

you're for getting about tilts. im SSB there are three types of A attacks. standard A, tilt A, and smash A. i see no feasible way to implement that with a dpad.

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Luigi12901

[QUOTE="Pyro767"][QUOTE="Shy_Guy_Red"]

the_wet_mop

you're for getting about tilts. im SSB there are three types of A attacks. standard A, tilt A, and smash A. i see no feasible way to implement that with a dpad.

They did it with Brawl, using just the Wii remote, didn't they? It wouldn't be a problem, honestly.

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SiK99
It doesn't have to be exactly like the wii/gamecube versions to be a good game. They can make the adaptations to the style, controls and single player mode if they want and come out with a good product that is still in the SSB mold. It just comes down to whether or not they come up with the idea, but also consider it a good move financially. I still say there is a market for this. I know people who complain about spending $30 on a DS game, let alone spending $50-60 on an import. Also, although Jump Ultimate Stars seems to be one of the more import-friendly Japanese games, not everyone will want to battle with Kanji and english-guides just to play.